Do you REALLY think we'll be cruising this year?

MarkWiltonM

16 hours ago, oceangoer2 said:

haha!  I've had a frozen shoulder and found the way to 'fix it'....requested a modified swing from the pro..wasn't so disciplined and couldn't restrain myself...so I just gave it a 'few' full swings and surprised myself....it didn't hurt and became mobile.  Now, that didn't improve my golf any, but it was good I could play and not lose out on all those golf fees.

Glad you consulted  your pro..it can make a difference.. and even better you were able to come back to playing,

So today at the Local golf course....day 2 of being open,  DH and the Pro staffed the shop,  no carts...only walkers, pullcarts...they had a few to rent at a nominal fee.  Tee times were spread further apart...credit card payment only,   There was a plastic barrier, etc.  Everyone in NY required to wear masks still. ( they probably came off on the course!)  Worked well and they had a full sheet. Same for tom  And it's a beautiful day here! People just want to get outside..been in lockdown for quite awhile.

Dh used to enjoy cruises on Celebrity S Class ships that had the  pro shop on board.  They sold nice logo stuff and had an area with a golf simulator. Area later became a restaurant!  Pro on board used to organize golf excursions...dh never went  b/c  we kind of stick together on cruises.   Now they have the area beside the lawn  for putting and some poolside putting contests but no pro.  Anyone else remember this?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Big_G said:

The cruise lines are an easy target but here in little Rhode Island where we have 279 deaths, 80 percent are in nursing homes or other congregate living facilities. I don't know how other states rank in that respect but if it's a nationwide trend maybe Congress should be looking there instead.

Congress won't look there because they know what the problem is.  Medicaid and medicare don't pay much for nursing homes and to make profit those that take the most vulnerable patients have to work with the least amount of money.  Even before COVID there have been staffing issues because those aren't fun jobs, and they don't have enough to pay enough salary to entice people to work.  Congress is always trying to cut the payments year after year, so why would they look into it.

• Like 2

It's a tough question to answer for many, including myself, even if cruising returns later this year. Not to look into the darkness too much, but i see differences in cruising overseas and cruising domestically. I have a cruise scheduled for October leaving from/returning Rome. Forgetting for a moment the Italy and other countries health issues,  a concern i have is not so much being marooned at sea for weeks or more, but if I fall ill will i able to get fairly prompt, [hopefully] top line medical assistance off the ship. Until there is a vaccine who wants to roll those dice? It is a difficult decision for many of us who are older and want to take these trips while they are still able to. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, UnorigionalName said:

Congress won't look there because they know what the problem is.  Medicaid and medicare don't pay much for nursing homes and to make profit those that take the most vulnerable patients have to work with the least amount of money.  Even before COVID there have been staffing issues because those aren't fun jobs, and they don't have enough to pay enough salary to entice people to work.  Congress is always trying to cut the payments year after year, so why would they look into it.

Just  a point of clarification.  Medicare does not cover nursing home care.  You may get 60 days  coverage and a few short extensions in a rehab  facility after hospitalization which Medicare covers short term.  But if you cannot qualify for Medicaid or have long term care ins..you are on your own for assisted living or nursing home care.  Have been through all of this quite recently this with dh mom..pre Covid. Sadly, she died at home under hospice nursing  care which I believe Medicare did cover

In N.Y. nursing  home facilities were ( are?)  required to re- admit Covid patients  that were in residence there before being hospitalized,   as well as new pts, who were okay enough to leave hospitals. This may or may not have fed the spread!. And there are staff shortages everywhere...systemic and due to illness.

Daily news reports feature  Assisted Living Facilities, Nursing Homes, & Veterans Homes with multiple deaths and sick patients and staff. Hope the tragedies lead to improvements....in staffing,  facility upgrades, etc.   So sad..

I think in the interest of being fair, it is also important to remember that nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and Veterans homes are filled with people who are the most susceptible to catching the virus due to severely decreased immune systems and often multiple underlying conditions, as well as more likely to have a hard time surviving the virus for the very same reason.  Even if excellent procedures and adequate staffing were in place, their numbers would still be significantly higher than the public at large.  I am not defending their handling of it in many cases, nor what I feel is the inadequate way our US health system handles them.  But I'm getting tired of reading politically tuned comments on these boards that only tell part of the story.

Edited by phoenix_dream

18 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I think in the interest of being fair, it is also important to remember that nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and Veterans homes are filled with people who are the most susceptible to catching the virus due to severely decreased immune systems and often multiple underlying conditions, as well as more likely to have a hard time surviving the virus for the very same reason.  Even if excellent procedures and adequate staffing were in place, their numbers would still be significantly higher than the public at large.  I am not defending their handling of it in many cases, nor what I feel is the inadequate way our US health system handles them.  But I'm getting tired of reading politically tuned comments on these boards that only tell part of the story.

Politically tuned comments?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Politically tuned comments?

A "politically tuned comment" is any opinion that disagrees with your own, or any fact that does not support your opinion. My basketball comment board nearly fell apart largely because of a fight about, believe it or not, whether defenses raised to complaints about referees were the result of radical labor ideology. 🤔

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Nursing homes and assisted living centers that I have been to are not a good example of social distancing.  You can't put 10 pounds in a 1 pound bag.  They are highly condensed living areas.  Not good conditions for a pandemic.  Nursing homes should have every other living area populated during this time.  One in four would be better.  I fail to see social distancing in these homes.  Homes that only have 4 or 5 occupants?  Perhaps...  Homes that have 100 or more are making the news...

Edited by NMTraveller

7 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Nursing homes and assisted living centers that I have been to are not a good example of social distancing.  You can't put 10 pounds in a 1 pound bag.  They are highly condensed living areas.  Not good conditions for a pandemic.  Nursing homes should have every other living area populated during this time.  One in four would be better.  I fail to see social distancing in these homes.  Homes that only have 4 or 5 occupants?  Perhaps...  Homes that have 100 or more are making the news...

An important aspect to remember in respect to nursing homes is that it was visitors and staff in those homes who introduced the virus in. All valid points on the spread of the virus within. 

1 hour ago, Pavovsky said:

An important aspect to remember in respect to nursing homes is that it was visitors and staff in those homes who introduced the virus in. All valid points on the spread of the virus within. 

Agree. And in the case of Australia, it was only staff who brought the virus in to all ages care homes and in one case,  13 people have died and are still dying. One staff member continued working with mild symptoms for 6 days. And has created a Covid hot spot as a result. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pavovsky said:

In NY.. the state directives  led to recovering  Covid  Patients  going to facilities to free up hosp beds..in sep units but who knows ???   

Saddest stories are where they cannot have visitors( for obvious reasons)!

Back on topic: dh and I will not be cruising in 2020.  Looking into moving our Jan 2021 cruise to much later in 2021 , so we can use our FCC... considering a short cruise..to test the waters!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

Politics no thank you.  But Facts instead! The very earliest COVID-19 deaths reported in the US were in a nursing home outbreak in early February in Kirkland, Washington north of Seattle.  In fact at that early time these were a large percentage of the total COVID-19 deaths in the US.  So it was known early that the elderly and infirmed were most at risk as well as those HC workers who attended to them.  And it was widely reported in the press at the time.  So the question is - why were there no lessons learned immediately from this situation?  Why didn't the country's nursing homes and assisted care facilities not immediately put procedures and lock downs in place to protect their patients, residents and workers?  A vast majority of the COVID-19 deaths in the entire US since that time have been associated with these facilities.  Not cruises. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-deaths-washington-nursing-home-outbreak-2020-3

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Politics no thank you.  But Facts instead! The very earliest COVID-19 deaths reported in the US were in a nursing home outbreak in early February in Kirkland, Washington north of Seattle.  In fact at that early time these were a large percentage of the total COVID-19 deaths in the US.  So it was known early that the elderly and infirmed were most at risk as well as those HC workers who attended to them.  And it was widely reported in the press at the time.  So the question is - why were there no lessons learned immediately from this situation?  Why didn't the country's nursing homes and assisted care facilities not immediately put procedures and lock downs in place to protect their patients, residents and workers?  A vast majority of the COVID-19 deaths in the entire US since that time have been associated with these facilities.  Not cruises. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-deaths-washington-nursing-home-outbreak-2020-3

The situation is so sad.  We are "hopeful" that we can cruise in January 2021.

Edited by Cruise a holic

29 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

It is a little different in Australia where most of our deaths have come from cruises.  Nursing homes second. Hospitals - not where they are treating patients so much but actual outbreaks within the hospitals, third. 

This is from a friend of mine who works at United:  

United did announce internally this week most of our international schedule will be suspended until late October our seasonal routes are on ice until 2021 at the earliest. Even that plan may have to be scrapped depending on what this virus is doing and the travel restrictions countries have in place

I would expect some sort of announcement within the next 7-10 days regarding the airlines continuing international cuts.  

Air:

Today, SwAir canceled our flights to Fla for early June and back to NY a week later.

We were going to move the dates into the fall anyhow so they did us a favor. It was well handled. No wait for refund to credit card/ credits ; nothing like the struggles with X.  I suspect they will re do some of their schedules and limit seating capacity in accordance with their new  boarding and seating policies.  New bookings are set to open late May.

Cruise:

We may not cruise this year, but I noticed there are  now cruises offered on the X website for 2021 into 2022, many from Fla ports  for  short  W Carib, Carib, KW,   Bahamas and a few longer ones.   In addition to the  reg offerings for EDGE and APEX and S Class;   Summit, Infinity and Constellation are listed so it seems they intend to keep them, for now!   We are hopeful for Jan 2021 on Connie from Tampa but might reserve a fully refundable back up short cruise so we can use up our FCC.

Many of the deals on the website  are shown as non refundable  pricing....with terms that involve a $100 penalty if you cancel and a FCC  rather than any refund .  We would never book that but I hope those who do  so read the terms carefully before saying Yes!

After cancelled spring and summer cruises, looked at September B2B Solstice cruises yesterday (Alaska/Hawaii).

Would have booked until I noticed no shortened final payment date/cancellation date for September.  So final would be due in June before they actually sailed first proposed sailing in July.

Perhaps they'll adjust again if the really want new bookings, which I think they do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Found this online  about the numbers in NY...from April .  I know nothing about the source!

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/coronavirus/2020/04/17/new-york-nursing-homes-coronavirus-death-data-released-after-long-delay/5151356002/

22 minutes ago, hcat said:

Air:

Today, SwAir canceled our flights to Fla for early June and back to NY a week later.

We were going to move the dates into the fall anyhow so they did us a favor. It was well handled. No wait for refund to credit card/ credits ; nothing like the struggles with X.  I suspect they will re do some of their schedules and limit seating capacity in accordance with their new  boarding and seating policies.  New bookings are set to open late May.

Cruise:

We may not cruise this year, but I noticed there are  now cruises offered on the X website for 2021 into 2022, many from Fla ports  for  short  W Carib, Carib, KW,   Bahamas and a few longer ones.   In addition to the  reg offerings for EDGE and APEX and S Class;   Summit, Infinity and Constellation are listed so it seems they intend to keep them, for now!   We are hopeful for Jan 2021 on Connie from Tampa but might reserve a fully refundable back up short cruise so we can use up our FCC.

Many of the deals on the website  are shown as non refundable  pricing....with terms that involve a $100 penalty if you cancel and a FCC  rather than any refund .  We would never book that but I hope those who do  so read the terms carefully before saying Yes!

I would love a cruise in 2022 but I think the max time you can use credit is 365 days.  My cruise is Dec 2020.

On 5/2/2020 at 3:24 PM, mayleeman said:

A "politically tuned comment" is any opinion that disagrees with your own, or any fact that does not support your opinion. My basketball comment board nearly fell apart largely because of a fight about, believe it or not, whether defenses raised to complaints about referees were the result of radical labor ideology. 🤔

No, it is any comment which references the political aspect of this crisis.  I said, and I will stand by what I said, that I am tired of people who post these things and present only one side of the story and part of the facts - you know, like every major news network does (both those that lean left and right).

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I am surprised that HCAT is showing a link to data for 4/17!   It is now 5/3, so that data is over two weeks old.   You can find current data in the New York Times and access to COVID 19 data is free.   There numbers are as accurate as you can get.

That's all, I found among other stuff, when I googled about the  NY nursing homes and Covid. I thought it was interesting to the conversation &   mentioned it was from April.. Obvously and sadly,  I expect recent numbers are UP after more disclosures and additions  are made.    ( NY Times info  did not  pop up  on my google search)  Perhaps you can assist with more current info. It is a sad situation!

My neighbor  lost her mother two days ago..She was 92 , and  in an excellent facility here in suburban NY.  . She apparently had a fever but no tested diagnosis was made.  She continued to decline...Family was given a visit in  protective garb...They will have a close family only funeral this week.  Even sadder when it hits close to home!

Edited by hcat