Would you wear a mask every time you were outside your cabin?

clo

8 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Come on NBT.  Do I really need to explain #2 to you?  I thought you were more intelligent than that.  😉  How do health care workers eat?  Same thing, same way.  I've stopped counting how many people in how many groups across how much social media somehow have to ask this question.   YOU TAKE OFF THE MASK WHILE EATING.  You have it on while negotiating your way to your physically distanced table or bar chair.  

Of course - but as mentioned in post #327, taking off and putting on properly involves new masks.  Does anyone believe that there would be a significant percentage of cruise passengers complying for the individual’s use of a mask to have real meaning?  Or that there could really be effective distancing between enough tables for two (or one) to accommodate the numbers being fed unmasked?   

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Of course - but as mentioned in post #327, taking off and putting on properly involves new masks.  Does anyone believe that there would be a significant percentage of cruise passengers complying for the individual’s use of a mask to have real meaning?  Or that there could really be effective distancing between enough tables for two (or one) to accommodate the numbers being fed unmasked?   

Right now, the CDC isn't concerned with how you put on the mask.  It's about having something on to help protect.  We're not in a sterile situation where we're worried about all germs.  It's perspective.  I don't think the school system is going to train elementary school kids on the medical way to put on and take off masks and teachers aren't going to go around like nuns and rap a kid on the knuckles if he touches his mask.

If there isn't enough distancing, I will see the Dining Manager and make sure that at least my table has the appropriate distance.  Or, I will asked to be served in my room - I'm not gong to the dining room for the ambiance, I just want my food.    

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ROXIETHEHORSE said:

I will not be participating in any activity that requires wearing a mask. I simply cannot breath with one on. I tried in Costco...one minute in I was walking around holding my mask stretched out from my face so I could breath.

What kind of mask were you wearing? We have these soft cottons ones ($25 for 5) with cotton straps not elastic going behind the ears.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, clo said:

What kind of mask were you wearing? We have these soft cottons ones ($25 for 5) with cotton straps not elastic going behind the ears.

Square cotton mask with cotton ties behind ears. It gets too hot and I can’t breath. No oxygen and hot air. 

38 minutes ago, ROXIETHEHORSE said:

I will not be participating in any activity that requires wearing a mask. I simply cannot breath with one on. I tried in Costco...one minute in I was walking around holding my mask stretched out from my face so I could breath.

Edited by lenquixote66
Spelling

12 minutes ago, ROXIETHEHORSE said:

Square cotton mask with cotton ties behind ears. It gets too hot and I can’t breath. No oxygen and hot air. 

That's really too bad. Certainly limits where you can go, huh?

41 minutes ago, Kate Redden said:

Now I’d be ok with a face shield,

Problem solved. We went to breakfast this morning and one server had on a face shield and another a mask.

1 hour ago, clo said:

That's really too bad. Certainly limits where you can go, huh?

Not where we live. Just won’t go into the city for Costco again. We’ll take vacations where we can drive and rent a house.

Our county has only had 7 virus cases since March. Only one active. The next county over has only had 37 since March, 3 active. Since we are kind of rural, we have been insulated to a lot of it. Never had masks required around here. I still go to work every day. Everyone has their own office.

Just won’t fly or cruise for the immediate future.

On 6/13/2020 at 9:36 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Yes - wearing a mask is neither comfortable nor convenient. But, there are occasionally necessary things that are neither comfortable nor convenient - like going to the dentist or having a colonoscopy,  so we do them. 

If it is necessary to fly somewhere or take a train or a bus and masks are recommended for safety, wearing masks make sense.   But to think about an unnecessary activity like cruising justifying wearing a mask is something else. If cruising is either unsafe (or not permitted) without masks, then cruising can wait.

On 6/13/2020 at 8:55 PM, clo said:

Well, that just sucks. I don't have breathing problems but I do get hotter than most people so I'm not looking forward to summer either.

I appreciate both of your posts.  They are compassionate to my situation.  Thank you.

• Like 1

Well in my part of the neighborhood we went to phase 1 and restaurants are opening as our gyms.

If my gyms and restaurants are any indication the US is in for a very long tail of infections and bursts of cases and many many more deaths. 

I started going to the gym after a three month break, longest in memory and 10lbs heavier, LOL. I'm the only guy with a mask or maybe 1/10 on some days, worked out in it for two hours, hot, sweaty and probably partially effective, changing the filter daily, surrounded  by selfish idiots around me don't care much for my health are mostly maskless...    But hey I may be old but healthy maybe breathing hard and hot in the mask And hope it gives me some protection and hope a small dose doesn’t  kill me will make me strong.  I'm certain in my gym anyone is a carrier everyone will get it, there are a many older and obese that probably wound go down sad... most people don't care for their fellow human at all, just their comfort and freedom.

B33FE81E-971C-4E32-B8FB-14E20F534BDB.jpeg

45B585AE-FA6C-4366-BA9A-8D3AF897A9CB.jpeg

Edited by chipmaster

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Where I reside it is mandated that when gyms or exercise centers open nobody will be admitted who is not wearing a mask.

Yes, but I am willing to bet that there will be some macho oiks who will refuse - and challenge someone to make them.  And Mayor DiBllasio has already gone on record opposing arresting people for refusing to wear masks.

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Yes, but I am willing to bet that there will be some macho oiks who will refuse - and challenge someone to make them.  And Mayor DiBllasio has already gone on record opposing arresting people for refusing to wear masks.

I am not in NYC. I belong to an athletic facility that has a gym for the general public and a portion of it is for people like myself who have Parkinson’s where there are special exercise programs .When they open everyone coming in the door will have their temperature taken and will have to wear a mask .

The security employed there are all retired police officers and in the 5 years I have been going there I never saw anyone disagreeing with anything required.

However,now is obviously a different time and I hope it will continue this way.

16 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

And Mayor DiBllasio has already gone on record opposing arresting people for refusing to wear masks.

If I may, I'd like to change that to cruise line executives and betting that they'd be unwilling to enforce it and other things.

10 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Where I reside it is mandated that when gyms or exercise centers open nobody will be admitted who is not wearing a mask.

And one must wear a mask to enter a grocery store in NY State. The last time I shopped, the person ahead of me in line was wearing a mask, but he was wearing it around his CHIN. I'm betting that that did not do much good. I stood my 6 feet + behind him and waited for him to leave before putting my groceries on the belt.

• Like 1

Our gym reopened this week.  It is fairly small and there is a limit of 9 people at a time.  No masks required to use the gym, but mask required when accessing other parts of the building gym is in.  We wore our masks for the maybe 10 foot foyer area in front of the doors, wiped down equipment before and after use, and put masks back on to leave the building.  Since we have been following social distancing guidelines and live in an area of minimal infection I don't feel that I was uncaring to others by following our gym's guidelines even if that included not wearing a mask.

I also have seen the "chin" coverings 🤷‍♀️🙄🤦‍♀️. I was at a gas station/convenience store today and the sign stated masks required but they would respectfully assume if you weren't wearing a mask it was due to a health condition - over half the customers weren't wearing masks.  Even though I am healthy, asymptomatic, and have no reason to think I've been exposed I will still wear a mask where requested.  Unless I am sick I won't wear one where it isn't.

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I look out my window (I only have one) and I see young people with baby carriages wearing masks on their chins,very strange.

Not really. They can pull it into place if someone gets too close.

4 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Back to the original post:

YES, if required. We do not have a problem wearing a mask. 

I started this thread in April which seems forever ago. I know I've certainly become completely comfortable with wearing a mask.

26 minutes ago, clo said:

Not really. They can pull it into place if someone gets too close.

Which means that their hands get contaminated by the mask.  The mask might stop the wearer spreading the disease, but by constantly taking it on and off you are exposing yourself to cross contamination.  Wear any mask once, then either despose of it or wash it. Do not reuse it.

• Like 1