Talks about opening up Trans Tasman Travel

10 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I hate being disappointed. I'd rather expect the worst then delighted to find I'm wrong. Besides my super has fallen that cruising and holidays are pretty much on the back burner now and the costs of implementing social distancing on a cruise ship will completely change their game plan. 

We've already been disappointed with the cancellation of the bucket list Western Europe trip we would have been doing next month. But dreams keep us hopeful. Yes, our cruise fund has taken a beating too so we will have to choose carefully when cruising does start up again - I doubt we'll be able to do another Europe cruise for example. But I can still dream about circumnavigating Australia, although the one we currently have booked will also probably be cancelled, but that itinerary will probably be offered again. I can also dream about cruising on Cunard for the first time in January - it's an NZ cruise so there might be some hope. I can also dream about doing the 35 night Hawaii/Tahiti cruise again, it was one of the most relaxing cruises I've ever been on. Without dreams there is no hope.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I can't comment on the Queens. Certainly Sea Princess are less crowded than Ruby Princess or Royal Princess - the bars, lounges and theatres are bigger, the promenade deck is bigger, and there are less shops. However they are still too crowded to minimize the spread of infections so reducing the number of passengers would help.

We have 5 months till October if the trend continues there will be no virus in our area.

As a example,Foot and mouth hasn’t been a problem because of our strict  quarantine.

I think this virus can be managed.

This article explains the trans Tasman bubble idea. It is definitely being discussed:

Australia, New Zealand could reopen borders for 'travel bubble'

Interesting at the bottom of the article it discusses that some countries may require foreigners to download tracking apps. I wonder how tourists would feel about that as requirement🤔

47 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Would only work if you have a phone that connects to a local network.

I always keep my phone in airplane mode when overseas. I assume that would make the app useless.

Well I would assume those countries thinking of implementing this would probably make it mandatory to have a phone that connects to the internet. Taiwan has already been doing this to foreigners and if you switch off your internet you get a call from their CDC to remind you to switch it back on 😆

3 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Would only work if you have a phone that connects to a local network.

I always keep my phone in airplane mode when overseas. I assume that would make the app useless.

Actually - you don't actually need a phone connected to a network - in flight mode the  phone still interacts with satellites and uses GPS to locate itself - its not as accurate as  using the cell phone towers - but I had my phone in flight mode on a cruise and got an accurate track of course so long as I took it on deck . You have to be able to see the sky - so it works best at sea and in the desert. It doesnt work well in narrow ravines with heavy tree cover or inside or underground. 

But yes making it a requirement that you buy a local SIM or roam your phone is not a biggie - and its not even that expensive these days 

Edited by lissie

1 hour ago, phoenixx said:

Jacinda stated (yesterday I think), that it is far too early to be having this sort of conversation, so it's wishful thinking at this stage.

I understand it was Jacinta Arden who initiated the conversation. 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Actually - you don't actually need a phone connected to a network - in flight mode the  phone still interacts with satellites and uses GPS to locate itself - its not as accurate as  using the cell phone towers - but I had my phone in flight mode on a cruise and got an accurate track of course so long as I took it on deck . You have to be able to see the sky - so it works best at sea and in the desert. It doesnt work well in narrow ravines with heavy tree cover or inside or underground. 

But yes making it a requirement that you buy a local SIM or roam your phone is not a biggie - and its not even that expensive these days 

Agreed though buying a SIM isn't likely a requirement.

Generally the apps being talked about (including the one here) aren't "online" but just work via Bluetooth. They ping when the same app is in the vicinity via Bluetooth and just log the contact. If there is an issue with yourself or someone else only at the time the authorities then access that log and use it to contact others. For tourists they could look up your profile (contact details will likely be stronger if there are still concerns when borders reopen).

It's not all going to a central server continually, just a tracker of who you've been in the vicinity of, like your own personal logbook.

2 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

For tourists they could look up your profile (contact details will likely be stronger if there are still concerns when borders reopen).

When I was in Taiwan the CDC at the airport was very insistent about our phone numbers working in Taiwan. Since I was using roaming they were worried about my Australian number not working in Taiwan. I think if nothing else having working phones is going to be a requirement for future travel. 

23 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Could be tricky if you are on a cruise that visits six or seven different countries.

That is where roaming comes in handy and probably the most practical option for a cruise since you are not on land that often. Though in Europe you can get sim card the cover the whole EU region. I used one for my Baltics trip last year and it worked in all six of the countries I visited. For our Qatar stopover I used roaming since we were there for only a few days it was not worth getting a local sim. In the end it is not that difficult to have a working phone overseas so it wouldn't be a difficult requirement for countries to impose as a condition of entry. 

4 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Could be tricky if you are on a cruise that visits six or seven different countries.

Roaming has improved a lot I paid about NZ$20 for 7 days and that covered roaming in Australia and PNG - but also covers most of Asia, UK, US, most of Europe etc etc 

As The Big M mentioned, the app they plan to use here works off bluetooth, it does not track your location, all it does is track other users of the app in your vicinity, if you are close to someone for a length of time, say 15 mins it records the details of the users of the app close to you at that time, so they can trace people who you were close too if you or someone else gets the virus but for it to be useful many people need to be using the app.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I am hoping the countries open up to each other, sooner rather than later but only once we have the Virus down .

same here, but depends if you have to self quarantine for 14 days there and back,  there's 28 days and i aint being anywhere.

There's a number of issues that I think will rule any cruising this summer..., unless a vaccine is found.

crew for the ships - yes they could isolate before arrival in Australia however in order to maintain training currency..ie fire/flood etc the model works on a slow constant rotation of crew....too difficult apart from the initial crewing to change out the whole crew at one time and safely sail and be certified as safe to do so. Only way I can see around this is crew from Aust/NZ...which cost a ***** load more!!!

Social distancing requirements - cruising within the bounds of social distancing will be completely different - how do you rotate the pool deck so everyone gets their 30 mins....how do you regulate the bar to 4 SQM per person...no shows....buffet limited number of people per time...same for dinning room - wont be allowed to have the current numbers in the dinning room at the same time...cabins limited to max 2 per cabin etc etc

To me, while all of the above could be done....it wont be profitable to the company unless the price of cruising is significantly increased......

• Like 1