How do you feel about sharing a table post pandemic?

ilikeanswers

4 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I will be happy to;  of course it will take time to develop approach and processes: varietals should be contemplated, varying amounts must be consumed — under indoor and outdoor conditions, with and without accompanying partnered dishes — there is much to consider It is a major undertaking, but I assume it gladly in the name of science.

If you need a "control group," just holler!

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Perhaps drinking a better aged, finer vintage might contribute to more thoughtful posting.   I think I might try to develop a test for this theory, now that I seem to have plenty of spare time.

An excellent idea -- I find I tend to "save" my more special bottles for special occasions, but methinks this (hopefully) once-in-a-lifetime quarantine experience must surely qualify. Time to break out the Brunellos....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sfaaa said:

Difference is if you sit at a table for two, it is perfectly ok to ignore everyone around you. Not so much if you share a larger table with others. You will be viewed as being rude or stuck-up for not socializing.

We agree!  DW and I do love socializing at larger tables (we think 6 is ideal but 8 also OK) but would not want to share a table with folks that have antisocial tendencies.  We do not view quiet tablemates as rude, but they would certainly join our list of antisocial folks better left alone for the remainder of the cruise.  Our tables on cruises are often the one where you will hear a lot of laughter and we are often among the last tables to leave the MDR after our later dining times.   On many cruises our dining room table experiences are the best entertainment on the ship :).

One exception to the 2 top rule has been when we cruised in Aqua Class on Celebrity.  In Aqua your assigned DR is Blu which is mostly 2 tops (they do have a few larger tables generally reserved for groups traveling together).  The 2 tops are relatively close and we have been pleasantly surprised at how many folks do like to chat with others at nearby tables.   The most private 2 top experience we have had is on MSC while in the Yacht Club.   In the YC's dedicated restaurant, couples will always be seated at 2 tops unless they specifically request to be seated with another couple or small group.  They do not normally accommodate those that simply want to share a table with strangers.

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We agree!  DW and I do love socializing at larger tables (we think 6 is ideal but 8 also OK) but would not want to share a table with folks that have antisocial tendencies.  We do not view quiet tablemates as rude, but they would certainly join our list of antisocial folks better left alone for the remainder of the cruise.  Our tables on cruises are often the one where you will hear a lot of laughter and we are often among the last tables to leave the MDR after our later dining times.   On many cruises our dining room table experiences are the best entertainment on the ship :).

With the option now available on most ships, common tables have a good chance of providing compatible dinner companions.  Those who prefer to eat alone will choose “my time”.  And, in case of a bad match, you can get re-assigned. 

On most of our cruises, the shared dinner table was an enjoyable element.

14 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

With the option now available on most ships, common tables have a good chance of providing compatible dinner companions.  Those who prefer to eat alone will choose “my time”.  And, in case of a bad match, you can get re-assigned. 

On most of our cruises, the shared dinner table was an enjoyable element.

We always use mytime or other similar schemes (different names with different lines) as we see it as a win-win.  With open sitting, DW and I can eat when we please.  Since we usually enjoy pre-dinner cocktails there are often times we meet other folks in the bars/lounges and we do not want to be obligated to dine at a specific time.  Sometimes we will go to dinner with other friends and other times we simply show-up and ask to "share a large table."  On long cruises we usually develop a group of friends/table mates during the first few nights and often will dine with some of these folks on multiple occasions.  Once in a while when we do want to dine at a quiet 2 top we either book one of the alternate restaurants or just go to the MDR and request a 2 top.   On some of the long cruises we might also make plans to dine with different groups on different nights.  This was pretty common on the Seabourn Quest where DW actually had to keep a calendar of who we were meeting on which night.  Its a lot of fun, a great chance to make some good friends, and the dinner conversation is usually very entertaining.

I also believe that many folks have no idea how to socialize in group of real people.  You can see this in some of the CC blogs where folks talk about 2 tops vs large tables and there are quite a few who seem to need advice on what topics can be discussed vs what is off limits.  Part of socialization is adapting to others and getting a feel for what topics are comfortable to the table vs what should be avoided.  On cruises just talking about the ports, cruising and travel are great starting topics and we have learned so much about travel at cruise dinner tables.  In fact, dinner conversations have often led us to book future cruises/trips based on what we learned from others.

Hank

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I also believe that many folks have no idea how to socialize in group of real people.  You can see this in some of the CC blogs where folks talk about 2 tops vs large tables and there are quite a few who seem to need advice on what topics can be discussed vs what is off limits.  Part of socialization is adapting to others and getting a feel for what topics are comfortable to the table vs what should be avoided.  ...

Obviously the case.  I guess I had a lot of practice: as a child in a large family who regularly had a sit-down dinner;  in school where lunch with your class was the practice; in university with dinner every night with the regulars in your residence; in the Navy with wardroom meals; at work - enjoying lunch in the staff dining room at what was called “the club table”; and lately enjoying periodic dinner parties.   Conversations with others have always seemed an essential part of an enjoyable meal.

9 hours ago, K32682 said:

During the early dark days of cruising when shared tables were the only option too often you encountered an overbearing busybody who interrogated you on personal details or those who felt it was their mission to generate a vibrant discussion focused entirely on themselves. It is so much nicer to enjoy a meal with companion(s) of your choosing and not endure the prattling of complete strangers whose humdrum observations and vapid opinions are of no interest.  

The early days of cruising are considered to be the 1960's, so before my time, but from 1975 which was the later period of mixed liner service and cruising, I certainly wouldn't refer to the amazing standards of the time as the "Dark Ages". Having also hosted up to 8 passengers every cruise for 4 months, in my experience, the number of overbearing busybodies was rather low. Yes, they were experienced, but in my experience never too often.

In our almost 4 months on Viking Sun, we shared a table every night at dinner and often at lunch. Never once did we experience a busybody; a couple of meals were challenging getting conversation started, but many meals lasted 3+ hours, just enjoying the company of like minded travellers. 

• Like 1

We deal with groups of people all the time in our work.  Cruising is "our time" to be with each other.  We didn't enjoy sharing a table before the virus and don't plan to change when cruising starts again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I enjoy sitting with others at dinner, but if -- in the short term -- that isn't possible, I'd only want to sail on a line where I had the option to dine someplace other than the MDR in the evening -- preferably a line with some alfresco dining and table service (or an unusually good buffet...)

While I wouldn't necessarily mind the occasional Specialty Dining experience solo, I would not want to sit in the MDR night after night at a table for one -- nothing to look at and no one to talk to is not my idea of fun!

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I enjoy sitting with others at dinner, but if -- in the short term -- that isn't possible, I'd only want to sail on a line where I had the option to dine someplace other than the MDR in the evening -- preferably a line with some alfresco dining and table service (or an unusually good buffet...)

While I wouldn't necessarily mind the occasional Specialty Dining experience solo, I would not want to sit in the MDR night after night at a table for one -- nothing to look at and no one to talk to is not my idea of fun!

Unfortunately even before this epidemic, it seems that there are so many folks who post on these boards who do not enjoy meeting others at dinner and don't want to meet you.

I am not one of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Unfortunately even before this epidemic, it seems that there are so many folks who post on these boards who do not enjoy meeting others at dinner and don't want to meet you.

I am not one of them.

We like to have dinner by ourselves but we usually will be seated wherever we are placed for other meals.

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

I am not one of them.

I hear ya but people travel for different reasons.

It is interesting... often enjoy a share table.. generally 6-8  is good........

so if you get a boring couple they will leave for a show and the rest of us can continue...

even though quite a few time our table has been the last to leave to MDR  .....LOL

too much talking.... help by a little wine.....  have met some wonderful people

Sometime we dine by ourselves .... just depends 

Cheers Don