Just MHO but Carnival done for the year.

paulgraff

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 9:15 AM, ibarrio said:

Everyone who has money tied up in Carnival will lose every penny when Carnival files for bankruptcy and that is what will happen if they are unable to sail this year. 

Could be.  I bought 1,000 shares of CCl for $7.90 a share.  CCL was over $15 yesterday, $13.93 today.  I'm up $6K in a very short time.

I figure this pandemic is going to pan out one of two ways.  Either it all slowly blows over and I pocket a tidy sum over the next few years, or society as we know it fails and we are hunting each other for meat in a post apocalyptic Road Warrior world.  In that case, I won't have needed the money anyway.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 5/1/2020 at 7:04 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

You are being optimistic if you follow Traveling With Bruce. He posted a video earlier today saying he doesn’t think cruising from US ports will resume until 2022. 

I would be surprised if the ports don't open til 2022 but his opinion is just as valid as mine.  I lean toward late fall of 2020 myself.  The port cities are going to put a lot of pressure on the authorities to open things up as they're losing a lot of money.  In addition to losing tourist dollars some of the ports are shedding employees.  There are so many unknowns...predictions of a second wave, some evidence this will be an annual event, vaccine availability, etc.  My next cruise isn't until March of 2022 on the Panorama so I have time.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 10:35 AM, paulgraff said:

I don't think they will file for bankruptcy, but they won't be the same for a long time... don't look for any new ships unless it is already in production, look for smaller older ships to be sold, and CCL will overall become a much smaller company for the near future. Just like 911 changed our security forever, so will this.

Also cruising will not be as popular, even on this site there is a poll where almost 25% of people said they would cruise less or not at all.

God I hope I am wrong cause I love cruising, I have about 30 under my belt and looking forward to many more.

The smart fiscal move is to file bankruptcy. It won't affect future cruising, it will piss off 250K people and then they will get over it. They keep your money and most people on these chat boards will go ahead and book again some day.

Your smart fiscal move is to insure your trip against bankruptcy, which I have done.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Yup. It's going to be a bumpy ride for a while.  I find it interesting that Motley Fool recommends Carnival:

"Rick Munarriz has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool recommends Carnival. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy."

2 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Yup. It's going to be a bumpy ride for a while.  I find it interesting that Motley Fool recommends Carnival:

"Rick Munarriz has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool recommends Carnival. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy."

As a very long-term hold (and only with entirely discretionary $$), there are certainly worse bets out there. 

If CCL can ride out the lawsuits and investigations, if the industry finds a way to get back to profitability, and if the mega-recession doesn't flat-out destroy the cruise market for the next several years ... then you could imagine a return to a decent share price eventually.

But CCL needs a lot of things to go right - and it no longer has a cushion for more things to go wrong. Overall looks like a scary gamble more than an investment

5 hours ago, glentally said:

I agree with the original post.  FYI it is a new post stating there will be little chance of sailing this summer at all, and lucky if any sail in the fall/winter.  Go online and try to book a cruise before September, not available.  I think Carnival is tired of booking cruises and then canceling, offering more FCC and OBC and listening and handling thousands of refunds, rescheduling , etc.

How do you know all the crew members contracts are wrapping up?

Screenshot (394).png

4 hours ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

The smart fiscal move is to file bankruptcy. It won't affect future cruising, it will piss off 250K people and then they will get over it. They keep your money and most people on these chat boards will go ahead and book again some day.

Your smart fiscal move is to insure your trip against bankruptcy, which I have done.

It would be a dumb move as most of Carnival Corp ships are being used a collateral and they would have nothing left to sail. You don't seem to realize the corporation is much larger than just Carnival Cruise Line.

On 5/1/2020 at 12:16 PM, jordanaire said:

Let's hope and pray that a vaccine will be developed and given to all of us, and those in other countries, so that we can set sail again soon!

You sparked a thought with this last sentence. First, I hope you get to go. That would be wonderful.  2nd:  I wonder if and when the vaccine is produced, I am wondering if that will be protocol to go traveling. It will be considered like a regular immunization, or one of those injection you must obtain to travel outside the US.  Just a thought 

6 hours ago, glentally said:

Math....this drama has been unfolding since January which slowed crew movement way down.  The earliest cruise date to return is basically July.  Even those who started a contract first of the year would be 6 months in at that point, they only work 7 month contracts.  Everyone from late fall/early winter are at the end.

5 hours ago, MRVEGAS711 said:

I'm guessing you failed economics 101. The Saudi prince bought shares as have many others. Fed bought bonds secured with ships. There wouldnt be a carnival to come back to if they did your move.

Kinda like sears selling off its inventory and stores first. .. nothing will be left. 

Let's hope those first cruises are a success I see posted for august from 4 ports.

7 hours ago, glentally said:

I agree with the original post.  FYI it is a new post stating there will be little chance of sailing this summer at all, and lucky if any sail in the fall/winter.  Go online and try to book a cruise before September, not available.  

Try galveston, it's one of the 4 ports you can book from before sept. I see someone else posted miami.

Here are some Galveston selections. Check your facts before posting next time perhaps ?

20200503_152559319.jpeg

4 minutes ago, HLGW60 said:

If Congress is investigating Carnival Corp then I would not fathom to guess when they might sail again.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/05/01/coronavirus-congress-investigate-carnival-corp-s-virus-response/3066565001/

Yadda yadda yadda. It's all politics. To get facetime in front of a camera.

• Like 5

these posts are cracking me up.  Folks posting their opinions as if they are facts OR quoting others who have stated THEIR opinions as if they were facts.  

and then the other folks that are arguing with them about their opinions.  What's the point?  

NOBODY really knows anything - not even the self proclaimed "experts" - they are only speculating about the future.

and no, I didn't read all of the posts above mine.  I'm just getting tired of these speculation posts clogging up the actually interesting posts...  there's way more JUNK to sort through nowadays before finding threads actually worth reading.  I'm not interested in arguing about your opinions.

I'm done venting.  You may carry on with your arguing and spouting out your guesses about what might happen in the future.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, angelsfort said:

these posts are cracking me up.  Folks posting their opinions as if they are facts OR quoting others who have stated THEIR opinions as if they were facts.  

and then the other folks that are arguing with them about their opinions.  What's the point?  

NOBODY really knows anything - not even the self proclaimed "experts" - they are only speculating about the future.

and no, I didn't read all of the posts above mine.  I'm just getting tired of these speculation posts clogging up the actually interesting posts...  there's way more JUNK to sort through nowadays before finding threads actually worth reading.  I'm not interested in arguing about your opinions.

I'm done venting.  You may carry on with your arguing and spouting out your guesses about what might happen in the future.

^^^^^This! And well put angelsport. 👍

• Like 1

7 hours ago, glentally said:

I agree with the original post.  FYI it is a new post stating there will be little chance of sailing this summer at all, and lucky if any sail in the fall/winter.  Go online and try to book a cruise before September, not available

Here are some more.

aug.jpg

54 minutes ago, PA Dutchman said:

Yaa all dressed up and no place to go...          when sports comes back next will be cruiseing

I think sports may wind up being a good litmus test. Indiana is aiming to allow sporting events starting July 4. If that date holds, we should know by the end of the month whether or not there are any outbreaks.

10 hours ago, Chief93 said:

Could be.  I bought 1,000 shares of CCl for $7.90 a share.  CCL was over $15 yesterday, $13.93 today.  I'm up $6K in a very short time.

I figure this pandemic is going to pan out one of two ways.  Either it all slowly blows over and I pocket a tidy sum over the next few years, or society as we know it fails and we are hunting each other for meat in a post apocalyptic Road Warrior world.  In that case, I won't have needed the money anyway.

I'll be okay then... I have watched every season of walking dead

10 hours ago, Chief93 said:

But what about a third option where we don't cruise or fly outside of the US?

Too bad we can’t do polls on here. Everyone could vote on whether or not they think Carnival will sail this year.  Even better would be if CC were a betting site.   Everyone could just put their money where their mouth is😉😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I am trying to ignore all speculation because no one knows. 

Too much speculation for sure, so let’s post some factual information. Mexico is opening their doors to international travel on June 1st. Hopefully we will see cruises returning to Cozumel in a not too distant future. 

https://www.traveloffpath.com/cancun-and-playa-del-carmen-will-open-to-international-tourists-on-june-1st/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HLGW60 said:

Too bad we can’t do polls on here. Everyone could vote on whether or not they think Carnival will sail this year.  Even better would be if CC were a betting site.   Everyone could just put their money where their mouth is😉😁

I think people buying shares of stock are putting their money where their mouth is. They are taking future cruise credits instead of refunds. What good is a poll if a lot seem like uneducated guesses and people who dont care to cruise anytime soon but just on these boards for the drama. Many have admitted they dont cruise at all but just like the drama. Why would anyone care about their opinions? People post screaming headlines from drama so called news that ccl got a bailout without disclaimers they know ccl didnt take a bailout so I guess they arent smart enough to know? If I posted a headline I knew wasnt true I'd post I knew. I would guess from the posts many here dont have business backgrounds.

Some of us are actually booking and waiting for carnival to start up. Smart people know carnival will start as soon as they can rather than go bankrupt. They would do whatever they can to get things rolling after after the 100 day cdc order. Anything is possible but ccl is taking steps to raise cash and survive. Like it or not. Seems like lots want ccl to fail. Each to his own.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Screenshot (394).png

Those prices are just completely unheard of. I mean, they're probably not going to happen, and I really don't want to be on the first ones out anyway, but wow.