Just MHO but Carnival done for the year.

paulgraff

Just my opinion but CCL is done for the year...

Read this article: https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/april-29-massive-crew-repatriation-carnival-bahamas-paradise-lends-computing-power-virus

They are not sending 10,000 people home, at this expense, just to bring them back in a month or two.

Sorry but there will be no summer cruising on CCL and I think it will be a long time to come back to normal.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Awesome.....another new topic on the same thing.

Anyway....many of those crew are at or will be at the end of their contracts anyway.  It has to be done.  Their replacements are ready to go when the time comes.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

My ta disagrees with you. He thinks by late fall.

Today Galveston is opening at 25%. Just try and think back how much has happened in the last 3 months and how much progress we can make in another 3 to 4 months. But I'll take your opinion for what I paid for it. We all are entitled to our opinions. I'd bet by November but no one knows. 

Yawn just more fear. So much out there.

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

2wheelin - Excellent post.
      Don't let the bad guys get you down. The attitudes get more churlish as the weeks go on, their predictions collapse and their arguments fail. 
      https://www.yahoo.com/news/carnival-ceo-no-idea-cruises-201930591.html   - More indication that an imminent restart is purely a pipe dream. 

Actually I dont see one post on this thread saying cruises will start immediately.. none.

I do see the op making a prediction cruises wouldnt start for the rest of the year. No one knows, not even the op. Just his fear talking. OP doesnt know if the ceo doesnt know. 

Yes I grabbed a $165 rate in june. Decided might as well join in getting that $600 obc if everyone else was getting it. Didnt think it had a chance of going or I wouldn't have booked it. Picked the closest in date on purpose so it had the least chance of going. Like a game of duck duck goose. Ever play that game? Someone will not get cancelled and either have to cancel under cruise with confidence or go. As long as they are booked before sept 1st they can always cancel with no penalty. After that I'd be more careful.

These threads are just opinions. Posting his opinion is excellent doesnt make him more or less correct than another opinion.

Let's see what a month open will bring to texas and talk in a month. Maybe we will have a better idea, right now it's all blue sky.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Actually I dont see one post on this thread saying cruises will start immediately.. none.

I do see the op making a prediction cruises wouldnt start for the rest of the year. No one knows, not even the op. Just his fear talking. OP doesnt know if the ceo doesnt know. 

Yes I grabbed a $165 rate in june. Decided might as well join in getting that $600 obc if everyone else was getting it. Didnt think it had a chance of going or I wouldn't have booked it. Picked the closest in date on purpose so it had the least chance of going. Like a game of duck duck goose. Ever play that game? Someone will not get cancelled and either have to cancel under cruise with confidence or go. As long as they are booked before sept 1st they can always cancel with no penalty. After that I'd be more careful.

These threads are just opinions. Posting his opinion is excellent doesnt make him more or less correct than another opinion.

Let's see what a month open will bring to texas and talk in a month. Maybe we will have a better idea, right now it's all blue sky.

The CC "optimists" have been making those predictions on various threads since late March. But you probably knew that already.

And fact-based opinions are far more useful than the ... ah ... others. Perhaps you knew that already, too.  😉

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Everyone who has money tied up in Carnival will lose every penny when Carnival files for bankruptcy and that is what will happen if they are unable to sail this year. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ibarrio said:

Everyone who has money tied up in Carnival will lose every penny when Carnival files for bankruptcy and that is what will happen if they are unable to sail this year. 

I don't think they will file for bankruptcy, but they won't be the same for a long time... don't look for any new ships unless it is already in production, look for smaller older ships to be sold, and CCL will overall become a much smaller company for the near future. Just like 911 changed our security forever, so will this.

Also cruising will not be as popular, even on this site there is a poll where almost 25% of people said they would cruise less or not at all.

God I hope I am wrong cause I love cruising, I have about 30 under my belt and looking forward to many more.

• Like 4

I think they may have quietly retained enough crew to man one or two ships that will be doing short cruises to private islands, to see how their new procedures will work and fine tune them before the rest of the fleet starts sailing.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, paulgraff said:

I don't think they will file for bankruptcy, but they won't be the same for a long time... don't look for any new ships unless it is already in production, look for smaller older ships to be sold, and CCL will overall become a much smaller company for the near future. Just like 911 changed our security forever, so will this.

Also cruising will not be as popular, even on this site there is a poll where almost 25% of people said they would cruise less or not at all.

God I hope I am wrong cause I love cruising, I have about 30 under my belt and looking forward to many more.

They will have to sell off assets but will there be anyone to buy? CNN reported they are burning 500 million per month right now. At that rate they will go BK sooner than later. 

4 hours ago, paulgraff said:

Read this article: https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/april-29-massive-crew-repatriation-carnival-bahamas-paradise-lends-computing-power-virus

They are not sending 10,000 people home, at this expense, just to bring them back in a month or two.

Sorry but there will be no summer cruising on CCL and I think it will be a long time to come back to normal.

The people going home aren’t necessarily the ones that would be coming back. They have other crew members who have been home that are ready to come back.

• Like 5

No politics in this thread. Absolutely none. 🤥

Considering Carnival put most ships up as collateral, it is unlikely they have the ability to dispose of them.

Carnival will sail whenever people are ready to sail. I would think later this year. Much depends on how people on land (mis)behave. I fully expect wave(s) of the virus and for land and sea to open and close and repeat for a few cycles.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I think they may have quietly retained enough crew to man one or two ships that will be doing short cruises to private islands, to see how their new procedures will work and fine tune them before the rest of the fleet starts sailing.

I have been wondering if this would be a possibility. I would be ok with this for my July cruise as I just need to relax and get away! 

We have our 26th cruise booked for October 3rd on the Horizon. I have 2 payments left to make on it. We are crossing our fingers and hoping that we will be sailing. It's my belief that it isn't whether or not Carnival will be ready to sail. It's whether or not the islands and ports of call are ready for us! You have to admit that some of these countries don't have the capability of solving the virus problem and will need assistance from those that do. And that won't happen until the USA has taken care of its citizens first.

Let's hope and pray that a vaccine will be developed and given to all of us, and those in other countries, so that we can set sail again soon!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ibarrio said:

Carnival has cash to remain shutdown for a year and still has unexplored options. They will be fine.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, paulgraff said:

As they dig more and more the dirt is piling up, agree 2021 at the earliest:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/cruise-ships-set-sail-knowing-the-deadly-risk-to-passengers-and-crew/ar-BB13tPcs

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, paulgraff said:

You are being optimistic if you follow Traveling With Bruce. He posted a video earlier today saying he doesn’t think cruising from US ports will resume until 2022. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

You are being optimistic if you follow Traveling With Bruce. He posted a video earlier today saying he doesn’t think cruising from US ports will resume until 2022. 

Who? He is entitled to his opinion, but I doubt he controls when cruising begins again.

• Like 5

John Heald addressed this in his morning video today and he actually names this site in particular as sources not to listen to. He said there are crews ready to start immediately, the ones who are going home to their families would have been done anyway. He said the reason they are not allowing new July bookings is so they have enough staff to crew ratio. Since they will be with a reduced crew, this makes total sense. And I agree with one of the above posts, if they don't cruise this year they will not survive and as a shareholder id hate to see that happen to but I don't know how any major industry could survive that long without operating. Right now, nobody knows anything  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/1/2020 at 7:14 AM, ray98 said:

Awesome.....another new topic on the same thing.

Anyway....many of those crew are at or will be at the end of their contracts anyway.  It has to be done.  Their replacements are ready to go when the time comes.

I agree with the original post.  FYI it is a new post stating there will be little chance of sailing this summer at all, and lucky if any sail in the fall/winter.  Go online and try to book a cruise before September, not available.  I think Carnival is tired of booking cruises and then canceling, offering more FCC and OBC and listening and handling thousands of refunds, rescheduling , etc.

How do you know all the crew members contracts are wrapping up?