Is there a chance for a Caribbean cruise in November, 2020?

MarynaPav

Hi, anyone here with a cruise booked for November, 2020? 

What do you think about probability to sail? 

Had to go cruising for the very first time in April 😞 Then (in March) decided to put back to November. 

Now, with doubts, but hope that'll work. I think, a longstanding suspension (like more than half a year) will entail irreversible consequences for the whole cruise industry. Hope, they will figure something out to manage with new public health reality and that will be followed by governmental permission. 

28 minutes ago, voljeep said:

End of November … little 5 day … certainly hope it goes, but I believe it may be an itinerary change from Cozumel to Princess Cay if it happens at all … maybe Amber Cove ?

My cruise includes both of those ports (Cozumel and Princess Cays)... Hope, it'll be okay with Cozumel given that it is an island, not mainland. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

End of November … little 5 day … certainly hope it goes, but I believe it may be an itinerary change from Cozumel to Princess Cay if it happens at all … maybe Amber Cove ?

I can't imagine how long tendering at Princess Cay would take if social distancing is still in effect.  

• Like 2

My husband and I have a November Caribbean cruise booked, but not paid for.  We also have an April 2021 European cruise booked. I have not yet canceled the Caribbean cruise, but am leaning to postponing it until November 2021 and just waiting for those dates to open up so I can hopefully get the same itinerary. I don't think I will be comfortable cruising until there is a vaccine, not just for my health, but for those around me.

Hi, anyone here with a cruise booked for November, 2020? 
What do you think about probability to sail? 
Had to go cruising for the very first time in April [emoji20] Then (in March) decided to put back to November. 
Now, with doubts, but hope that'll work. I think, a longstanding suspension (like more than half a year) will entail irreversible consequences for the whole cruise industry. Hope, they will figure something out to manage with new public health reality and that will be followed by governmental permission. 

We had a Transatlantic booked from Southampton to Fort Lauderdale on Nov 23rd. Last week we decided to postpone until October 2021. Too much uncertainty- so, something new to look forward to!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

9 hours ago, Married15 said:

My husband and I have a November Caribbean cruise booked, but not paid for.  We also have an April 2021 European cruise booked. I have not yet canceled the Caribbean cruise, but am leaning to postponing it until November 2021 and just waiting for those dates to open up so I can hopefully get the same itinerary. I don't think I will be comfortable cruising until there is a vaccine, not just for my health, but for those around me.

Frankly, I doubt that mass production of a vaccine could be available earlier then 2022. Suspension until that is gonna be a total collapse for the entire cruise industry. As for the passengers, that would mean that cruising will be way less affordable after the collapse. That's why, I think the cruise industry has no other choice than to deal with this issue before the end of pandemic (express testing, no buffets, etc.). And because of that, I think, for us it makes no sense to count only for 2021 as it is highly doubtful that cruise operators will survive such a long suspension. Either everything resumes in the fall 2020 or at least start of 2021 (in a form everyone is used to or not) or there are reasons to assume that cruising as we know/imagine it remains in past.  

1 hour ago, MarynaPav said:

Frankly, I doubt that mass production of a vaccine could be available earlier then 2022.

Any vaccine produced in a short time will make many people leary.

During the ramp up of polio vaccine that was a bad batch which actually gave kids polio.

In the late ninties phen-fen became super popular as a weight loss drug.

Only when is was released and used by a large population was a serious

side effect involving heart valves detected.

In general, I support vaccines, and have received the usuals over the years.

But I'm not anxoius to be first in line when an Alec Baldwin character on Saturday Night live

tells me not to worry...

I'll stick to injecting disinfectants for a while.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

I can't imagine how long tendering at Princess Cay would take if social distancing is still in effect.  

True, but remember that during this crisis the crew that has remained on the ship has been able to use Princess Cays and they had to use the tenders.  Also remember that Princess doesn't always use their lifeboats to tender but the boats hired by an outside contractor.  They have more space to spread people out.

Regardless, we are booked on a late November voyage on the Enchanted Princess that does both the western Caribbean and then back to PE to do the eastern with a stop at Princess Cays.

If I had to bet I would bet that Carnival Corporation, will have some ships operating to the Caribbean in November. It will be a limited number and nowhere near the whole fleet (103 +/- ships). Cannot say Princess will be operating but I believe they will be one of the brands for Carnival Corp that will operate. It makes sense for them to do short Caribbean cruises to test the waters....close to home (Corporate) and easy to control.

We have had two cruises canceled already, have our next cruise July 7th out of Australia..... believe it will cancel....and our next Princess Cruise after that, December......believe will cruise.

*****Just my opinion*****

• Like 1

I am optimistic that the cruise industry will start by Sep.  Limited capacity on ships until things get a little under control.  We shall see what the summer brings.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MarynaPav said:

Frankly, I doubt that mass production of a vaccine could be available earlier then 2022. Suspension until that is gonna be a total collapse for the entire cruise industry. As for the passengers, that would mean that cruising will be way less affordable after the collapse. That's why, I think the cruise industry has no other choice than to deal with this issue before the end of pandemic (express testing, no buffets, etc.). And because of that, I think, for us it makes no sense to count only for 2021 as it is highly doubtful that cruise operators will survive such a long suspension. Either everything resumes in the fall 2020 or at least start of 2021 (in a form everyone is used to or not) or there are reasons to assume that cruising as we know/imagine it remains in past.  

I don't think it will be a problem. They can mass produce hundreds of millions of vaccines very quickly within weeks if it is proven to work. AstraZenecia have already said they will mass produce the vaccine of Oxford University which they have been working on since January. It  shows promising results. Human trials started 3 days ago and monkeys vaccinated have no virus after 28 days of heavy exposure.

2 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

I don't think it will be a problem. They can mass produce hundreds of millions of vaccines very quickly within weeks if it is proven to work. AstraZenecia have already said they will mass produce the vaccine of Oxford University which they have been working on since January. It  shows promising results. Human trials started 3 days ago and monkeys vaccinated have no virus after 28 days of heavy exposure.

I am neither epidemiologist, nor medical scientist, but tones of officially published data gives me an assumption that it might be not as simple and fast as it may seem. A lot of challenges ahead: testing in people (firstly, only several ones, then dozens, hundreds, and only then thousands - it'll take a lot of time), mutation, scientific disputes. It would be great to have a vaccine with proven efficiency fast. But obviously that won't happen this year 🙂 And it's highly doubtful about the next year. I created this topic to find out if there is someone believing in cruising by the end of this year. And I'm glad that I'm not alone here. Let's keep fingers crossed. 

19 minutes ago, MarynaPav said:

I am neither epidemiologist, nor medical scientist, but tones of officially published data gives me an assumption that it might be not as simple and fast as it may seem. A lot of challenges ahead: testing in people (firstly, only several ones, then dozens, hundreds, and only then thousands - it'll take a lot of time), mutation, scientific disputes. It would be great to have a vaccine with proven efficiency fast. But obviously that won't happen this year 🙂 And it's highly doubtful about the next year. I created this topic to find out if there is someone believing in cruising by the end of this year. And I'm glad that I'm not alone here. Let's keep fingers crossed. 

They are ahead because of the work done on Sars and other types of this kind of virus. Testing is being scaled up over the next 2 months I believe. If that is proven and successful it will get the go ahead to full program. With a major drug company onboard it won't take long to produce 10's of millions of doses for UK. If they take the election approach in vaccination and open the polling stations as vaccination centres you can do the vaccination program in a day. After all if 30 million vote in 1 day in a general election surely you vaccinate the whole country on the same basis.

• Like 1

I’m on the Ruby, November 23 2020, to Hawaii. I’m looking forward to it as it will be my first Medallion Cruise plus a promo with the drink package, gratuities,  speciality dinning & 2 btls of wine. This is the most perks that have ever had. 

I’ve got my fingers crossed plus a extra bonus I don’t have to fly anywhere. 

Tom 😀

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

If they take the election approach in vaccination and open the polling stations as vaccination centres you can do the vaccination program in a day. After all if 30 million vote in 1 day in a general election surely you vaccinate the whole country on the same basis.

This is one of the scariest things I've read related to Covid. Because it won't work that way, you see. What'll end up being is that you won't be able to enter the polling place without first being vaccinated. See how that's a problem?

• Like 1

We've got an ABC cruise booked for our 44th anniversary in September and a cancelled April family cruise rebooked for December.  My wife's degree of confidence is a bit higher than mine.  

Edited by cltnccruisers
correction

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

They can mass produce hundreds of millions of vaccines very quickly within weeks if it is proven to work.

I think your math is way, way off.

This artical discusses testing the Oxford vaccine in July, and if successfull, astrazeneca hope to produce

"tens of millions of does by the end of the year"

So we have the artical "tens of millions in 5 months" vs. your "hundreds of millions in weeks"

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/apr/30/astrazeneca-partners-with-oxford-university-to-produce-covid-19-vaccine

What's an order of magnitude here or there...

Edited by Roberto256
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

I think your math is way, way off.

This artical discusses testing the Oxford vaccine in July, and if successfull, astrazeneca hope to produce

"tens of millions of does by the end of the year"

So we have the artical "tens of millions in 5 months" vs. your "hundreds of millions in weeks"

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/apr/30/astrazeneca-partners-with-oxford-university-to-produce-covid-19-vaccine

What's an order of magnitude here or there...

Tens of Millions for the UK. They can also produce at their european plants and plants in the USA for Europe and the USA at  the same time. Assume it works it will not long before the vaccine is exported to other countries. Astra is a multi national.