Do you think as many Aussies will make trips overseas?

1 million Aussies live permanently abroad.  More than 11 million trips overseas were taken by Aussies in 2019.

ABC News

Thinking about future travel, as always.

• What do you think about overseas travel, in the future?
  • Do you have a desire to see more of Australia, after the long drought and devastating bushfires and corona virus lockdown?
  • Will finances effect your decision, e.g. poorer investment returns, weak Aussie dollar.
  • If there is no vaccine, by 2021, will that effect your overseas travel decisions, from 2021?
  • Would you travel to NZ as part of NZ/Aus bubble?

12 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Myself personally, this year we only travelling within Australia if and when we ever allowed to in Victoria. Not sure about 2021 too far ahead at the moment. 

I'm sure a lot of people will want to travel interstate once the borders are open.  January, I'm booked in to Melbourne for the Australian Tennis Open.

Queensland will have to be careful re the numbers of tourists wanting to travel north in the winter, as normal. 

I'd like to travel overseas in 2021, but it depends on the corona virus and a vaccine. 

Edited by MMDown Under

Would not fly......

As far as I would be comfortable is New Zealand

So sticking to Australia..... back to Road trips...

Have 2 cruises booked this year October Australian Coastal and November New Zealand,   but I doubt either will go ahead ( 164 days away )

interesting started our last cruise 165 days ago .... little do we know what was going to happen

Cheers Don  

Edited by getting older slowly
speling

I cancelled a 6 week cruise around South America in January two weeks ago. Just felt it going to so many different countries wasn't the best thing to do at the moment.

Not sure about Australia travel as I have travelled extensively throughout the country so it would depend on pricing. Reasonable costs yes I would otherwise probably not. Also looking at visiting friends interstate and playing tourist in their hometowns and my friends coming here and playing tourist.

Aust/NZ bubble again depends on costs.

The economy will dictate how much the general population will undertake travel . 
Also .....Any travel that will be available will be expensive. Stand by for prices like you have  never seen before .

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Thinking about future travel, as always.

• What do you think about overseas travel, in the future?
  • Do you have a desire to see more of Australia, after the long drought and devastating bushfires and corona virus lockdown?
  • Will finances effect your decision, e.g. poorer investment returns, weak Aussie dollar.
  • If there is no vaccine, by 2021, will that effect your overseas travel decisions, from 2021?
  • Would you travel to NZ as part of NZ/Aus bubble?

My main concern about overseas travel is that by the time the world gets back to normal we may be getting to old to do any more big trips, even if finances allowed them. The stress of long distance flights is harder to cope with as we get older.

I'd like to see more of Australia, in fact I'd like to do the whole round Australia campervan trip but DH isn't that keen on doing that. If our September round Australia cruise is cancelled, as is likely, we'll probably go somewhere warm for a week or so. Not sure where yet, and that will depend on finances.

Finance issues and the exchange rate will make it much harder to do trips overseas (not counting NZ).

It's not just getting a vaccine that will affect overseas travel, it's also what is happening with the virus itself, and also if there are effective treatments by then. We have cruises booked in 2021. A NZ one which I hope we can do, a Sydney to Japan one which I'd like to do but only if Japan appears safe to visit by then, and a Hawaii/Tahiti one which we may defer to 2022.

I'd have no hesitation travelling to NZ - as far as local travel is concerned It's not much different to travelling interstate in my opinion.

Overall the world, and tourism, will take some years to recover from this pandemic. In some ways I hope it never recovers to the extent it was before the virus struck. Travel is great but too many people travelling at once means destinations become unpleasantly overcrowded. It's hard to predict whether travel will become more expensive or not. Airfares will probably go up especially if a few airlines go out of business. Hotels and cruise fares may get cheaper. Who knows?

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

My main concern about overseas travel is that by the time the world gets back to normal we may be getting to old to do any more big trips, even if finances allowed them. The stress of long distance flights is harder to cope with as we get older.

I'd like to see more of Australia, in fact I'd like to do the whole round Australia campervan trip but DH isn't that keen on doing that. If our September round Australia cruise is cancelled, as is likely, we'll probably go somewhere warm for a week or so. Not sure where yet, and that will depend on finances.

Finance issues and the exchange rate will make it much harder to do trips overseas (not counting NZ).

It's not just getting a vaccine that will affect overseas travel, it's also what is happening with the virus itself, and also if there are effective treatments by then. We have cruises booked in 2021. A NZ one which I hope we can do, a Sydney to Japan one which I'd like to do but only if Japan appears safe to visit by then, and a Hawaii/Tahiti one which we may defer to 2022.

I'd have no hesitation travelling to NZ - as far as local travel is concerned It's not much different to travelling interstate in my opinion.

Overall the world, and tourism, will take some years to recover from this pandemic. In some ways I hope it never recovers to the extent it was before the virus struck. Travel is great but too many people travelling at once means destinations become unpleasantly overcrowded. It's hard to predict whether travel will become more expensive or not. Airfares will probably go up especially if a few airlines go out of business. Hotels and cruise fares may get cheaper. Who knows?

We will travel in Australia, still many areas we haven't been to. I was watching morning TV one day last week and there was an interview with an Australian aviation expert Geoffrey Thomas who believes that flights will be cheap as airlines try to get people to fly again. It will be interesting to see what happens once the states lift their border bans.

Leigh

Edited by possum52

I think the issue is that Insurance will never again cover for Covid. And if there is still active disease and there is no vaccine nor very effective treatment then unless we are going to a country with reciprocal health care (UK and I think Italy???) then unless we are immune from it then we can no longer travel overseas. 

• Like 1

• I am constantly thinking about travel, about whether we can do the trips we have booked, about when we can possibly do them if they are all canned. Where and when we can do anything?
  • We have been seeing bits and pieces of Australia as we go, but if international travel is over, we will do more domestic travel.
  • Finances always affect our decision on where, when and for how long.
  • No vaccine, won't unless it affects the travel insurance.
  • Yes

Well as we are all over 70 travel insurance will be nearly impossible to obtain ...

So it will be on the road in OZ for us .with the one possible exception being to New Zealand ..but no more cruises I fear , they are likely to be a thing of the past 

Best Regards

John 

On 5/4/2020 at 8:58 AM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Also .....Any travel that will be available will be expensive. Stand by for prices like you have  never seen before .

You mean standby for prices seen last century.

3 hours ago, icat2000 said:

I might have to consider *shuddering* camping here as a possible travel habit if pricing its too high. Pete will be in seventh heaven. I will need a lot of gin to survive.

Oh dear .. the ONLY answer would be a motor home with EVERYTHING about 40 foot long   that might just work and I'm not going anywhere where there is not a proper private dunny

Regards

John

PS you can camp at the hilton

I want a Winnebago (or whatever they're called here), towing a Smart car for getting around towns in and sightseeing. It's actually surprising what can be fitted in quite a small space - full kitchen with plenty of storage, bathroom with shower and toilet, separate bedroom, dining area and lounge space for a couple of comfortable recliners and a sofa. The problem is they cost megabucks.

we hope we can travel overseas again.

we have travelled a fair bit in oz too, caravanning, and other methods including short cruises.

self catering in ok but its also nice to relax and be spoilt.

there seems to be large gaps between basic and luxury options?

but perhaps that will change.

a lot of options are family focused rather than for couples. 

16 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

Oh dear .. the ONLY answer would be a motor home with EVERYTHING about 40 foot long   that might just work and I'm not going anywhere where there is not a proper private dunny

Regards

John

PS you can camp at the hilton

That would be also my minimum requirements. A loo. Shower would make me happier as well. But not many Hiltons in the bush haha

As time goes on...... it look like back to driving holidays..

Looking forward to when Tasmania is open for business again......

then back on The Spirit.... with the car fully loaded.......

Actually is was the many trips on the Spirit which planted the idea on cruising....

Cheers Don 

20 hours ago, icat2000 said:

I might have to consider *shuddering* camping here as a possible travel habit if pricing its too high. Pete will be in seventh heaven. I will need a lot of gin to survive.

No camping for me! Possibly glamping but it's probably cheaper to stay in a good hotel.

16 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I want a Winnebago (or whatever they're called here), towing a Smart car for getting around towns in and sightseeing. It's actually surprising what can be fitted in quite a small space - full kitchen with plenty of storage, bathroom with shower and toilet, separate bedroom, dining area and lounge space for a couple of comfortable recliners and a sofa. The problem is they cost megabucks.

A Winnebago would be roomier than a ships' cabin.

There are Winnebagos here (but are not related to the US company to the best of my knowledge). They can be bought 5 minutes up the road from where I am, 2hrs north of Sydney. They are huge. I new one of the sales people there. He told me that customers would fly over from WA, pick up their new motorhome, and drive it back to WA.

http://www.australianmotorhomes.com.au/

9 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

There are Winnebagos here (but are not related to the US company to the best of my knowledge). They can be bought 5 minutes up the road from where I am, 2hrs north of Sydney. They are huge. I new one of the sales people there. He told me that customers would fly over from WA, pick up their new motorhome, and drive it back to WA.

There was a court case by US Winnebago against the Australian company - https://avidarv.com.au/2013/06/14/winnebago-australia-successful-in-retaining-the-winnebago-brand/ if you are interested in reading about it.

Does anyone own a small motor home or a camper van?  I prefer the small size, but would like an en suite.  

I love camping.  We camp at Woodford for the Woodford Folk Festival and Mullum for Bluesfest.  I love the lifestyle.  You meet such interesting people camping.  However, as one gets older going to the toilet, during the night, gets to be a problem. 

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

That was the company I was thinking of but couldn't remember the name. I want the Longreach! 🤣

I would love to visit friends in London and NY, one more time.  Hoping for 2021, but situation in both places is dire at present.  I used to combine land travel overseas with a cruise.  My last travels in 2019, cruise from Tromso, Norway to Oban, Scotland, land travel in Oban and Glasgow, Scotland, and London, seem a distant carefree memory.  Did I really go to the theatre every matinee?  To concerts, museums and art galleries, without worrying about the crowds? 

Edited by MMDown Under

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Does anyone own a small motor home or a camper van?  I prefer the small size, but would like an en suite.  

I love camping.  We camp at Woodford for the Woodford Folk Festival and Mullum for Bluesfest.  I love the lifestyle.  You meet such interesting people camping.  However, as one gets older going to the toilet, during the night, gets to be a problem. 

Have a look at the Aveda Leura in the link that lyndarra posted above.