Carnival Announces Plan To Resume Operations

Syracusefan

38 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

No way they can start cruising.....people cannot even go to movie theaters and the ones they can go to have whole rows blocked off and seats blocked off.....CCL is trying to create false hope and also generate cash to keep them barely afloat....especially when the latest CDC/HHS predicted their will be easily 100,000 plus cases of COVID-19 a day in US by June 1, 2020 and several thousand deaths a day because of losing of social distancing guidelines.  

Who wants to take the risk of being quarantined in your cabin for 2 weeks on a cruise ship if COVID-19 breaks out again....such a relaxing and fun time I am sure.

8/1 - not today, dude - 8/1 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I read the article, and I did not see where the CDC or the home ports said that they agree with them starting to sail again.  There was no "yes" you can sail from our home ports.  Am I missing something?

"CDC has not consulted with any of the cruise lines on timelines for resuming cruise travel for passengers.” Source

• Like 1

It is one thing for Princess to carry on as if all things will like magic open up all over the world ports at the same time period. We know Canada has yet to set a firm date and is at this point, is very wary of doing so. The UK may impose a 14 day period prior to boarding from their ports. At this point Greenland has said no cruise season this year. Iceland is open but with great restrictions. As for Europe, well that has yet to be seen. 

There would be nothing nicer than to sail again, safe and sound. The world is not yet our oyster, so to speak.  In the meantime keep the faith , stay safe and one day, that world will be ours again to sail to our hearts desire. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

"However, modelling released today from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME), an independent research centre at the University of Washington, predicts nearly 135,000 people will die of COVID-19 in the US by August 4.

The organisation says the higher prediction is due to increased movement in most parts of the country — driven in part by public protests — with social distancing restrictions expected to ease in 31 of 50 states."

I cannot see cruising starting on August 1.

Edited by By The Bay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, pms4104 said:

Does Carnival homeport any ships there?

CCL spent quite a bit of money over the years to improve Terminals 19 and 26 and 2; maybe 21.  Much more money was spent to allow for the larger CCL brand ships, primarily Carnival Cruise Line ships. to use Terminal 4 by extending the docking area available.

Port Everglades has a significant cargo operation.  That may take precedence over any type of long term docking of a cruise ship at a terminal that could be used for cargo operations.    

32 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

CCL spent quite a bit of money over the years to improve Terminals 19 and 26 and 2; maybe 21.  Much more money was spent to allow for the larger CCL brand ships, primarily Carnival Cruise Line ships. to use Terminal 4 by extending the docking area available.

Port Everglades has a significant cargo operation.  That may take precedence over any type of long term docking of a cruise ship at a terminal that could be used for cargo operations.    

Thanx for the insight ... I just never saw a Carnival ship there durung our Port Everglades comings and goings.

I knew about the large cargo ops there .., never imagined the passenger termunals to be used for such purposes

1 minute ago, pms4104 said:

Thanx for the insight ... I just never saw a Carnival ship there durung our Port Everglades comings and goings.

I knew about the large cargo ops there .., never imagined the passenger termunals to be used for such purposes

When one watches the Port Everglades or Fort Lauderdale web cams, one will see container ships at many of those cruise guest terminals.  The apron separating the terminal and the dock itself is sufficient in width and length to allow for cargo operations.  

Terminal 4 may be an exception.  I don't recall seeing any cargo operations there.  But, a variety of Carnival ships have used that Terminal in the past 12 months or more since the length of the dock was extended.  

4 hours ago, voljeep said:

Dude, what do you think will change between now and 8/1?  Dude!  COVID-19 is not going anywhere and there will not be a vaccine by August 1 or even Jan 1, 2021.  So what makes a cruise ship any safer on 8/1 then it is today?  A single passenger who gets COVID-19 symptoms would mean an entire ship would need to go into lock-down and it is doubtful that anyone would be able to disembark that ship for weeks.  Given that scenario do you think anyone is going to operate a cruise?  Where will the cruise line get insurance?  Where will passengers get insurance?  What ports will allow ships to dock?  Dude!

Hank

• Like 4

On several accounts this information can be found out quite easily. If you choose to explore  The Greenland Tourist Board you will note their slogan and new campaign ad for 2020 is " Do not cancel, postpone. We will be here when your ready." The campaign is accompanied by some of the most wonderful shots of Greenland. Having remained in contact with friends, who are curators of a series of Museums across Greenland. They  were informed by the local governments at each site not to count on tourist income for the remainder of 2020, any projects and funding from that source would be put on hold.

We had planed on returning to Greenland this year. Until this pandemic changed the world as we know it. So not wanting to do a TA. with no ports to call on for 16 days. We will hope the world heals itself and we can all go explore this part of the world in 2021 , safe and healthy once again.   

I believe this is CCL's current ploy to entice you to book cruises that may never happen.  CCL and other cruise lines may not survive this pandemic.  No way they can start cruising...with current CDC guidelines, port closures and government lockdown, resuming operation starting August is not possible.  

https://thehill.com/policy/transportation/495754-house-committee-investigating-carnival-cruise-lines-response-to

14 hours ago, voljeep said:

per Princess website - there are NO currently scheduled Caribbean cruises scheduled for August or September - hurricane season and all ...

wait and see if that changes 

Princess normally does not have Caribbean cruises in that time frame.

It would be tough to suddenly try to start them as the cruise lines who normally sail there those months basically have a lock on that market.

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Dude, what do you think will change between now and 8/1?  Dude!  COVID-19 is not going anywhere and there will not be a vaccine by August 1 or even Jan 1, 2021.  So what makes a cruise ship any safer on 8/1 then it is today?  A single passenger who gets COVID-19 symptoms would mean an entire ship would need to go into lock-down and it is doubtful that anyone would be able to disembark that ship for weeks.  Given that scenario do you think anyone is going to operate a cruise?  Where will the cruise line get insurance?  Where will passengers get insurance?  What ports will allow ships to dock?  Dude!

Hank

It seems like a lot of people from the northeast have more negative views of corona than people from other parts of the country.  I agree that 8/1 is far off.  It’s a longer distance in time from when this all started around March 13.  That was only 6 or 7 weeks ago and already things are opening up in most parts of the country, except the NE 🙄.  August 1 is another long 12 weeks away.  Everything will be open by that time.  But the great thing about cruising is that it’s optional.  All those still worried about ‘Rona can opt out.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, franktown said:

I believe Carnival has 27 ships.  Only 1/4 of the fleet will be sailing per the article.   Would expect Princes to only sail with a quarter of the fleet also.  Lots of cancelled cruises.  Just more money to refund.  

The eight Carnival ships announced will start sailing (per schedule) on August 1. Remaining ships will be phased into service beginning on Sept 1.

5 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Agree totally. I'd like a bet that there will be no cruising before January. I've had 3 cancelled and waited stubbornly until the companies cancelled but now I will not be cruising until the virus is wiped out or a vaccine is out.

I find it very strange that there are suggestions of the cruising starting up again from the Country that has probably handled the virus as badly as any Country - please don't flame me. We were getting our early cases here from people returning from the US (including the Hanks) but there basically no cases reported in the US. Something didn't add up. I love the US but the risk starting there is beyond me. I think the first cruise line that gets a case that will just about end it for them.

I think the first cruising you might see is between Australia and New Zealand but people from outside these countries will not be able to cruise due the Country lockouts. Our Prime Minister has said the Country lockout is expected to at least the end of the year.   

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

It seems like a lot of people from the northeast have more negative views of corona than people from other parts of the country.  I agree that 8/1 is far off.  It’s a longer distance in time from when this all started around March 13.  That was only 6 or 7 weeks ago and already things are opening up in most parts of the country, except the NE 🙄.  August 1 is another long 12 weeks away.  Everything will be open by that time.  But the great thing about cruising is that it’s optional.  All those still worried about ‘Rona can opt out.

I live in a rural Southern town that has had one case in the last 13 days, and I even know that case as it was an EMT that went to NYC to help out and I still think there is zero chance of cruising in August.

What arguments and plans from the cruise lines that they come up could they possibly convince the CDC that it is safe to sail?  It was a danger before this became full blown back in Feb and the world has only gotten SIGNIFICANTLY worse since then. 

While jails, nursing homes, aircraft carriers and meat packing plants are essential, cruises are not and they are essentially Petri dishes for Covid.

The only way out that I can see is either a vaccine or a miracle drug that mitigates or cures the virus. Anything else would likely be an inadequate level of protection for something considered nonessential.  We have discarded many practices and habits with much less risk. 

When you have a ship like the Ruby Princess that has had 21 deaths out of 2647 passengers or about 0.8 percent or 1/126 death rate for a vacation that is just not gonna fly.  Could you imagine if 1/126 people that sky dived died?  There is no way the government would allow that and thats even a high risk activity.  No chance they let let 1/126 potentially die on a leisure vacation.  Vacations should not have a death rate attached and that’s what’s happened to the Zaandam, Diamond Princess, Ruby Princess, and Coral Princess just to name a few. 

3 hours ago, leck57 said:

I find it very strange that there are suggestions of the cruising starting up again from the Country that has probably handled the virus as badly as any Country - please don't flame me.

Why flame you, when you're right.   Oh wait, this is anonymouse posting on the internet...

Other countries have been more successful at 'flattening the curve'...

I thought the graphs here were very interesting:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/new-cases

jhu_20200503.jpg

12 hours ago, By The Bay said:

"However, modelling released today from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME), an independent research centre at the University of Washington, predicts nearly 135,000 people will die of COVID-19 in the US by August 4.

The organisation says the higher prediction is due to increased movement in most parts of the country — driven in part by public protests — with social distancing restrictions expected to ease in 31 of 50 states."

I cannot see cruising starting on August 1.

IHME has be wrong with its graphs and predictions since the begining.

The problem as I see it is that we are not even getting the whole picture! The virus was in the states earlier than we have been told. I have two friends who were hospitalized with " pneumonia" in late January? early Feb. They had all the symptoms and one was very ill. He also had a relapse later just as recorded in positive cases at a later date. No testing was available at the time and the docs were not clued in to the virus as much of a threat at that time. Thanks to someone we all  know!!

So in conclusion, many more cases were nor detected. This virus is not going away anytime soon. August 1 st is too soon to try getting back to normal.

Our state is opening up and it is way to soon. We have not even gotten to the curve flattening stage yet!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gmjc2 said:

Our state is opening up and it is way to soon. We have not even gotten to the curve flattening stage yet!

no, it's certainly not too soon at all … taken with certain measures that are currently implemented

we can't live in a bubble for the next however long waiting for the 'all clear' signal - life is full of choices, and at least now people

again have at least a limited choice to get busy living again 

1 minute ago, voljeep said:

no, it's certainly not too soon at all … taken with certain measures that are currently implemented

we can't live in a bubble for the next however long waiting for the 'all clear' signal - life is full of choices, and at least now people

again have at least a limited choice to get busy living again 

Must agree to disagree. The few who say "we are going to travel no matter what" can get infected and then put others in danger. That is how this spread so rapidly. We have to be considerate of our fellow man/woman! Just wait and make the "choice" to be safe.!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1