British Columbia announcement today - BC closed till 2021

az_tchr

On 5/17/2020 at 6:50 PM, Lady Arwen said:

I doubt very much if there will be any Canada/New England cruises this year also.  Canada will take their time before allowing US visitors to cross over.  This is a good thing for Canadians and Americans.

Those of us here south of you call them New England/Canada cruises!😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Langley Cruisers said:

We also did a NE/Can cruise on RCI Explorer, in autumn as well. Gorgeous, memorable trip. 🍁🍂

Me too.   Loved EX nine night we did out of Cape Liberty.  Boston was one of the best stops, took the water taxi to town that picked us up right in front of the ship.  Heavenly!  🙂   In St. John we walked over to enjoy the huge museum near the ship...best I have ever visited. 

We were booked for June 11th on Grandeur to do the same route...that was cancelled.  Have another shot at it in September, but won't hold my breath that will happen either.  😞 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, island lady said:

Me too.   Loved EX nine night we did out of Cape Liberty.  Boston was one of the best stops, took the water taxi to town that picked us up right in front of the ship.  Heavenly!  🙂   In St. John we walked over to enjoy the huge museum near the ship...best I have ever visited. 

We were booked for June 11th on Grandeur to do the same route...that was cancelled.  Have another shot at it in September, but won't hold my breath that will happen either.  😞 

Ahem. There is a Saint John, New Brunswick, and a St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, both cruise ports and both with museums within easy walking distance. However, there is no St. John on any cruise itinerary in Canada. A picky point, no doubt, but one that has resulted from years of tourists getting it wrong.

I'm sure you'd understand if people kept referring to cruises embarking in Port Carnival! :classic_biggrin: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Ahem. There is a Saint John, New Brunswick, and a St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, both cruise ports and both with museums within easy walking distance. However, there is no St. John on any cruise itinerary in Canada. A picky point, no doubt, but one that has resulted from years of tourists getting it wrong.

I'm sure you'd understand if people kept referring to cruises embarking in Port Carnival! :classic_biggrin: 

Sorry...you are right...my bad. Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways.  I meant to post Saint John NB...but realized my mistake too late after I posted it.  And yes...I AM a tourist when I travel to Canada.   

I would rather have people call it Port "Carnival" instead of the RCI term...."Orlando's" Port Canaveral ...that I can't stand to see and is just as irritating.    

Edited by island lady

2 minutes ago, island lady said:

Sorry...you are right...my bad. Thank you for pointing out the error of my ways.  I meant to post Saint John NB...but realized my mistake too late after I posted it.  And yes...I AM a tourist when I travel to Canada.   

I would rather have people call it Port "Carnival" instead of the RCI term...."Orlando's" Port Canaveral ...that I can't stand to see and is just as irritating.    

LOL. I hadn't noticed RCI's terminology, but I can understand the irritation! 

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 6:04 AM, island lady said:

Nice article!  Thanks for sharing!  🙂 

We are still booked for two weeks land tour on our own, with a cabin B&B booked in your home town.  I love that little restaurant downtown (can't remember the name), but had a nice big deck outside.  

Have paid final on first of our B2B August Radiance, but waiting until final day for second leg (on Saturday).  If both legs are cancelled (and very frustrating waiting for official word)...then we are going to Homer for a couple of weeks as replacement.  

If you do come - I hope you enjoy your trip!!!

Which B&B are you staying at?

How long ago was your last visit?

There are 2 restaurants w/ nice big decks...
One is much newer than the other 🙂

Wishing you the best of luck on your travels, either way!

Edited by Von & John

12 hours ago, Von & John said:

If you do come - I hope you enjoy your trip!!!

Which B&B are you staying at?

How long ago was your last visit?

There are 2 restaurants w/ nice big decks...
One is much newer than the other 🙂

Wishing you the best of luck on your travels, either way!

Thanks...as long as Delta is still flying up there, we will be there!  Cruise or no cruise.  😉 

It's been awhile, but the one (I finally remembered) was the Wildflower cafe.  Very good!  

We are staying at Denali View Lodge this time, in a cute little cabin.  Last time it was Susitna River Lodge.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, island lady said:

Thanks...as long as Delta is still flying up there, we will be there!  Cruise or no cruise.  😉 

It's been awhile, but the one (I finally remembered) was the Wildflower cafe.  Very good!  

We are staying at Denali View Lodge this time, in a cute little cabin.  Last time it was Susitna River Lodge.  

Unfortunately Wildflower recently closed permanently & sold their equipment about 2 weeks ago.
If you make it to Talkeetna - most of the restaurants are now open - some are enjoying dine in, others take out only & others outdoor dining.  It will be interesting to see what will happen in the next few weeks.

Have a fantastic trip!

Denali View Lodge has amazing Views!!!

On 5/21/2020 at 6:47 PM, Fouremco said:

We visited St John’s Newfoundland in 2016 on a TA on Azamara Quest, from Southampton to Montreal. It was a wonderful cruise, as we visited 4 ports on each side of the ‘pond.’ (St John’s, Saguennay, Quebec City and Montreal on the Canadian side).

We were lucky to get into St John’s, as we had just avoided the tail end of a tropical storm. We were greeted by people clapping and cheering from the cliffs and were stopped in the streets by locals to enquire about our journey across the Atlantic.

I have visited Canada many times as my sister married a Canadian. I was very impressed with the friendliness of the residents of St John’s.

3E18A734-49C2-4F49-B549-E95B0002EB3E.jpeg

D7E93E20-6375-4C9E-BE3C-B34EC1123EA1.jpeg

95219CCB-2D1C-4745-89D4-91CD94A6A9D9.jpeg

23B26631-3478-4D5D-A695-4DB1529C45A6.jpeg

FC56F2C0-F694-496F-A374-729D07F96C98.jpeg

D9C97673-17D0-4D6A-8431-6ED5D4930E9C.jpeg

7 hours ago, Von & John said:

Unfortunately Wildflower recently closed permanently & sold their equipment about 2 weeks ago.
If you make it to Talkeetna - most of the restaurants are now open - some are enjoying dine in, others take out only & others outdoor dining.  It will be interesting to see what will happen in the next few weeks.

Have a fantastic trip!

Denali View Lodge has amazing Views!!!

Oh bummer...bad timing for us.  😞   Have another favorite you like?  We love the "alfresco" dining.  Love walking through the cute little town there.  🙂   Thanks for the info on Denali View!  We are in the "Trappers" cabin.  Looks cute from pics online.  

7 hours ago, upwarduk said:

We visited St John’s Newfoundland in 2016 on a TA on Azamara Quest, from Southampton to Montreal. It was a wonderful cruise, as we visited 4 ports on each side of the ‘pond.’ (St John’s, Saguennay, Quebec City and Montreal on the Canadian side).

We were lucky to get into St John’s, as we had just avoided the tail end of a tropical storm. We were greeted by people clapping and cheering from the cliffs and were stopped in the streets by locals to enquire about our journey across the Atlantic.

I have visited Canada many times as my sister married a Canadian. I was very impressed with the friendliness of the residents of St John’s.

Thanks for the photos!

When we lived in Halifax, I would fly to St. John's quarterly for a few days and got to know the city and surrounds very well. Since moving back to Ottawa, my wife and I have revisited the city twice on separate holidays in Newfoundland. As you say, wonderful people.

I guess we have shifted to the East Coast on this very flawed "British Columbia" thread. We were in the early planning stages of an East Coast "Fall Foliage" cruise, nothing booked just looking at itineraries. We didn't really find anything we liked on Celebrity, a one way seems to be more appealing for us. There is also one that stays almost entirely in Canada including stops in Newfoundland and Labrador. The "Foreign" port is the tiny French outpost of St. Pierre and Miquelon. That may be the way to go for us.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I guess we have shifted to the East Coast on this very flawed "British Columbia" thread. We were in the early planning stages of an East Coast "Fall Foliage" cruise, nothing booked just looking at itineraries. We didn't really find anything we liked on Celebrity, a one way seems to be more appealing for us. There is also one that stays almost entirely in Canada including stops in Newfoundland and Labrador. The "Foreign" port is the tiny French outpost of St. Pierre and Miquelon. That may be the way to go for us.

At the risk of being accused of heresy on the Celebrity board, I much prefer HAL's East Coast cruises. 

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

At the risk of being accused of heresy on the Celebrity board, I much prefer HAL's East Coast cruises. 

We'll have to compare HAL's east coast itineraries with Celebrity's and RC's. We did a fantastic 14 night US/Canada cruise on the Summit out of Bayonne September 2019.👍To bad Celebrity changed that exact itinerary.     

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

We'll have to compare HAL's east coast itineraries with Celebrity's and RC's. We did a fantastic 14 night US/Canada cruise on the Summit out of Bayonne September 2019.👍To bad Celebrity changed that exact itinerary.     

We did the same one in Oct 2019.  Loved it, although we missed 2 ports because of weather issues.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I guess we have shifted to the East Coast on this very flawed "British Columbia" thread....

LOL. I think many threads on every board are meandering and off-topic. The mods don't usually move, close, or delete any of it. We seem to be allowed this leeway right now. 😉🤣

• Like 1

Well some of us need to talk about something else other than COVID!  I'm waiting for the border to open so I can get my stuff!!  So miss all that on-line shopping with free shipping to US.  Oh and yes, I miss all the happy cruising posts too.

• Like 1

I'm with you Tea Bag, I have no problem veering off course on this thread. The compass was set wrong right from the OP. It just feels funny that we have started talking about Eastern Canada cruising on a thread with British Columbia in the title😉

Thanks Blackduck.  Maybe someday we'll be on the same cruise.  How about the May 4, 2022 from Honolulu to Vancouver?  This qualifies for a BC post doesn't it?

Edited by TeaBag