British Columbia announcement today - BC closed till 2021

az_tchr

4 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

And even more concerning, he said those limitations will not be changed until a vaccine exists.  What if a vaccine takes two years or more??  I don't plan to worry that far ahead, but based on what he is saying, that is what it would be.  Yikes!

Absolutely correct.  This is from the Times Colonist.  Victoria BC newspaper.  Certainly seems very clear to me.  If hockey matches (with more than 50 people) will not be allowed - do you think they will welcome cruise ships?

"The final phase in the plan won’t be enacted until there’s a vaccine or treatment for COVID-19 or community immunity has been achieved, Horgan said. “Until these things happen, B.C. will not be hosting rock concerts and conventions, or any other large gatherings beyond 50 people.”

I'm done. Tired of being attacked.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, golfpccc said:

Just FYI — Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Azamara will not announce suspensions on Cruises until after final payment is due!  They are canceling 30 days at a time....

Exactly what we figured too. We are booked and not expecting to cruise in August and FP is due June 6. I expect June7 we will hear something. Sigh.

1 hour ago, dgraham said:

Couldn't cruise ships sail out of Seattle, as many have in the past?

The Port of Seattle has closed its cruise port until "resolution of the public health emergency."

There is no published date for reopening the cruise port.

The port is located in King County, home to the largest number of Covid-19 cases and deaths.

We are currently subject to a restrictive "stay home, stay healthy" order.  Our phased reopening will proceed very slowly.  Cruise ships may not be sailing out of Seattle this summer.

49 minutes ago, PNW Traveler said:

The port is located in King County, home to the largest number of Covid-19 cases and deaths.

Not true.  According to Johns Hopkins University, King County trails 33 other U.S. counties in terms of reported COVID-19 cases.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Von & John said:

This will certainly have an impact on Ketchikan & Sitka...

However, both communities were in existence long before the Cruise Ship Companies found Alaska...

They will continue their existence into 2021...

Good point

- Joel

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Not true.  According to Johns Hopkins University, King County trails 33 other U.S. counties in terms of reported COVID-19 cases.

Sorry - I meant to say that within Washington State, King County has the most cases and deaths. 

You are correct on a national basis.

1 hour ago, middlehaitch said:

The ports, like all Canadian borders, are a federal not provincial responsibility, that is why it is not mentioned in the update,  but one can presume they will not be opened.

The federal guidelines have not changed, yet.

Here is some reading for those interested.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html#cruise

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/bulletins-2020-05-eng.htm

cheers, heather.

It doesn't matter if the Ports are Federal. BC closed the border to Washington State BEFORE it was agreed upon with the USA as Washington State was a hotspot. What they did was issue a 14 day quarantine to those crossing. The cruise season was also talked about before Trudeau made the announcement. 

So you step off the Plane to get to the cruise and issued a 14 day quarantine, now what?

Oh yes how are you going to Fly to Canada to board the ship? Air Canada has no flights to the USA for the foreseeable future and nor do other airlines.
You have a major problem also coming up and that is where do you get a flight crew as in Pilots? Most Captains are over the age of 45 and require a medical every 6 months. Medicals were extended 3 months and will not be extended again.
In order to get a medical you have to visit the doctor in person (NO Virtual medical here) because of all the tests that have to be done.
In a lot of cases pilots have been laid off and will also require a Check Flight before getting back behind the controls. This takes a few hours and there are not that many Simulators out there to do it in fast order.
I know this because I am a pilot.

Oh and the big one that I read last week is how do the airlines bring the planes out of storage. Boeing and Airbus only have a manual for long term storage it turns out and no short term storage manual as it hasn't been needed. This is all new to them. It isn't a matter of kicking the tires and lighting the fire.
One just needs to go look at what the Airline world body is proposing in order to start back up again.
I read yesterday the proposal that is being put forward, is the airlines will require passengers to be at the airport 4 hours before a flight to go through all the checks.  There is even talk of them requiring blood tests in some cases which in itself is problematic in my opinion. The talk of "additional" fees is also talked about. The turning off of Video screens will also take place as they are a germ magnet they say.
I truly hope this get paired down or many passengers will be more than a little ticked off before getting on the plane.

There is another problem in Downtown Vancouver right now and that is Hotels are being used to House the Homeless. This will not end anytime soon either.  Just Google Downtown East-side of Vancouver and it will open your eyes.

There are just too many hurdles as I see it to over come for this summer to be a go.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, golfpccc said:

Just FYI — Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Azamara will not announce suspensions on Cruises until after final payment is due!  They are canceling 30 days at a time.   I expect an announcement shortly suspending cruises through 7/12.  

I have a May 22nd deadline for payment for an Aug 21st cruise, partly non-refundable deposit.  Seems to me my best bet if they are playing games with cancellations that I should go ahead and pay the balance by the 22nd and then get a full refund when they cancel.  Seems low risk, credit card would protect me from at least the final payment being not given back.

Thoughts on that as a strategy?

Edited by azanthem

6 hours ago, dns65 said:

I thought Alaska was requiring visitors to self-quarantine for 14 days.   How can you have a cruise season with this requirement? 

You are correct - we still have a 14-Day self-quarantine for anyone arriving from out of state. 

This includes residents as well.

In addition, intrastate travel can be impacted as well.

Some of the remote areas have implemented a 14-Day self-quarantine for anyone arriving into their community, including residents of the community who have traveled w/in Alaska...

• Like 1

Just to interject here. The Premier of British Columbia, John Horgan does not have the power to close the Ports, they are federal jurisdiction. I have heard that the cruise companies themselves have finally realized that the Alaska season 2020 is a bust. This will be a blow to all the ports who welcome cruise ships.

I live in the Capital city of British Columbia and haven't heard anything about the province staying closed until the new year. We start easing restrictions next week and so far there is 3 phases running from now to late September.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, dns65 said:

I thought Alaska was requiring visitors to self-quarantine for 14 days.   How can you have a cruise season with this requirement? 

I am going there to stay land based for 14 days prior to the cruise anyway.  What about me?  And what is the time line of the self quarantine?  

Moot point anyway, since I think the entire cruise season for Alaska is toast.  Feel bad for our neighbors to the far north...those 4-5 months is when they make the most of their income for the entire year.  

17 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I didn't hear it either. Does anyone have a link to something in print about the ports being closed until 2021. 

Ditto to that.  Would like to see it actually in print.  

15 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Sad, if they know cruises won't sail, that they won't just pull the Band-Aid off. To me it's all about the $$$ and they want to keep it as long as they can. We'll cancel before any more $$$ out on final payments for cruises that more than likely won't sail. 

They have been sending me emails asking me to pay my final for our first leg on Radiance Alaska (8/14) for weeks now.  It is not actually due until 5/16.  You betcha' I will be waiting until that very last day.  😉 I am sure they would love to keep my full payment with no interest for 45 to however many days, for a cruise they probably don't plan on doing.  😮 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, island lady said:

I second that. We aren't cancelling our September cruise out of Vancouver. Going to let BC and Celebrity collectively do that for me. Final payment is due in June.  

17 hours ago, golfpccc said:

Just FYI — Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and Azamara will not announce suspensions on Cruises until after final payment is due!  They are canceling 30 days at a time.   I expect an announcement shortly suspending cruises through 7/12.  

This  "apparent" policy is one of the big turnoffs to remaining loyal to X in the future.   Seems like a " gotcha" move...get more $ money in on final payments, then cancel, then  delay its return.  

I appreciate that BC is being cautious...why invite potential trouble?

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I second that. We aren't cancelling our September cruise out of Vancouver. Going to let BC and Celebrity collectively do that for me. Final payment is due in June.  

Will be interesting....wish my payment was not due until June.  Blaming Bucky for being born in mid August on that one,  😉 being this was to be his big milestone birthday cruise. 

19 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I didn't hear it either. Does anyone have a link to something in print about the ports being closed until 2021. 

I  have not seen or heard anything lately and I keep up on the updates pretty well.

I'd also like to mention that the Canadian borders and ports are controlled by the federal government, not provincial. But the provincial governments do have jurisdiction to make their own laws regarding social distancing or quarantine.(Edit: I see this was already mentioned a couple of times.)

Sadly, I would not count on tourist travel being open in Canada in the next few months. They don't even want cottage owners going to their own summer cottages this summer. I live in a different province than my parents and I am banned from going there unless its essential and I would need to apply for an exemption. 

Edited by The Sunset Glow

13 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Just to interject here. The Premier of British Columbia, John Horgan does not have the power to close the Ports, they are federal jurisdiction. I have heard that the cruise companies themselves have finally realized that the Alaska season 2020 is a bust. This will be a blow to all the ports who welcome cruise ships.

I live in the Capital city of British Columbia and haven't heard anything about the province staying closed until the new year. We start easing restrictions next week and so far there is 3 phases running from now to late September.

The public health officer for BC may have something to say about this as no large gatherings( more than 50) are permitted and social distancing is required even with the phase-in.  As long as international air travel is curtailed we won't have any cruise ships operating in Canada any time soon as well as the 14 day mandatory quarantine requirement.  Too many variables are stacked against cruising now and for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Phase four continues until there is a vaccine.

No groups over 50, no non essential international travel, quarantine for people coming to BC  - all until there is a vaccine.

Notice 14 minutes into the announcement.

Edited by maryann2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

Have you read the phased opening Horgan outlined for BC.  If gatherings of more than 50 people are not allowed until either there is a vaccine or herd immunity; do you think that is possible to cruise this year?  If so how?  If that restriction is not removed how do you possibly cruise.

Horgan did not specifically mention cruise ships. He did not need to.  Have a ship with 49 people and you can cruise.  51 . . . not likely.

Yes, Ottawa controls the ports and borders; but a 14 day quarantine and limits that can and have been put on place by BC effectively closes cruising.

Read and listen again as to what the plan means.

And if there is a resurgence of covid - likely according to the CDC and WHO - from opening then obviously only a vaccine will work.  Do you know about Sweden?  No lockdown except for elderly and vulnerable.  Check out how that is working.

We have a cottage near Nanaimo.  Think we will be using it this year?  Think the local residents would be even less welcoming to me with US plates on my truck than they were to the hordes that came to the Island recently from the mainland.

13 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

Have you read the phased opening Horgan outlined for BC.  If gatherings of more than 50 people are not allowed until either there is a vaccine or herd immunity; do you think that is possible to cruise this year?  If so how?  If that restriction is not removed how do you possibly cruise.

Horgan did not specifically mention cruise ships. He did not need to.  Have a ship with 49 people and you can cruise.  51 . . . not likely.

Yes, Ottawa controls the ports and borders; but a 14 day quarantine and limits that can and have been put on place by BC effectively closes cruising.

Read and listen again as to what the plan means.

And if there is a resurgence of covid - likely according to the CDC and WHO - from opening then obviously only a vaccine will work.  Do you know about Sweden?  No lockdown except for elderly and vulnerable.  Check out how that is working.

We have a cottage near Nanaimo.  Think we will be using it this year?  Think the local residents would be even less welcoming to me with US plates on my truck than they were to the hordes that came to the Island recently from the mainland.

Looks like you missed my point here.  But thanks for the long explanation.......

I would like to see it in writing that Canada has closed the ports past July 1st date as still currently posted, so I know for sure RCI is cancelling the rest of the Alaska season.  I won't cancel the B2B Alaska cruise I have booked until RCI does...which gives me greater choice in refunds.  It is very frustrating that they are asking for final payment for my 2 Alaska cruises in August...but not making any announcements on the cancellation, which I am assuming is going to happen.  

Edited by island lady

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Looks like you missed my point here.  But thanks for the long explanation.......

I would like to see it in writing that Canada has closed the ports past July 1st date as still currently posted, so I know for sure RCI is cancelling the rest of the Alaska season.  I won't cancel the B2B Alaska cruise I have booked until RCI does...which gives me greater choice in refunds.  It is very frustrating that they are asking for final payment for my 2 Alaska cruises in August...but not making any announcements on the cancellation, which I am assuming is going to happen.  

For cruising from BC it does not matter.  The ports are open to small ships.  They are not and will not officially close.

However, the practicality of even recreational boaters between BC and Washington today and into the future is zero.  Until the 14 day quarantine goes away travel is shut.  Then you need airlines to resume which will take 60-90 days - there are hundreds of planes stored near me.  Now you need to get crew back on ships and retrained.

If you had a vaccine tomorrow and all restrictions removed on say July 1st, when could cruising resume?  Not likely before November or December except for limited cruises.

I completely agree with you.  You understand the "game".  They are hoping that the 45% of those with reservations rebook.  Celebrity knows absolutely positively that your cruise will not happen.

14 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

For cruising from BC it does not matter.  The ports are open to small ships.  They are not and will not officially close.

However, the practicality of even recreational boaters between BC and Washington today and into the future is zero.  Until the 14 day quarantine goes away travel is shut.  Then you need airlines to resume which will take 60-90 days - there are hundreds of planes stored near me.  Now you need to get crew back on ships and retrained.

If you had a vaccine tomorrow and all restrictions removed on say July 1st, when could cruising resume?  Not likely before November or December except for limited cruises.

I completely agree with you.  You understand the "game".  They are hoping that the 45% of those with reservations rebook.  Celebrity knows absolutely positively that your cruise will not happen.

OK...let me spell it out for you...Closed to large Cruise ships!! Would that be a correct statement?  Once again....oh never mind.  I will end up with another long explanation.  What you don't get is I already am prepared and expect to have the Alaska cruise season cancelled.  

I am just looking for official cancellation of my cruise from RCI...so I can get my refund without losing my NFD...is that OK with you?  Having Canada announce that they are extending the July 1st deadline would hopefully speed that announcement up from RCI.  Hence back to my original statement:  "I would like to see it in writing".  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, island lady said:

OK...let me spell it out for you...Closed to large Cruise ships!! Would that be a correct statement?  Once again....oh never mind.  I will end up with another long explanation.  What you don't get is I already am prepared and expect to have the Alaska cruise season cancelled.  

I am just looking for official cancellation of my cruise from RCI...so I can get my refund without losing my NFD...is that OK with you?  Having Canada announce that they are extending the July 1st deadline would hopefully speed that announcement up from RCI.  Hence back to my original statement:  "I would like to see it in writing".  

I fully understand your dilemma and your desire to see the port closures officially extended so as to prod RCI into cancelling sooner rather than later. Regrettably, the federal government is highly unlikely to make a decision on the ports until sometime in mid to late June, after they have reassessed the situation. As it's only a small piece in the overall puzzle of how to handle both domestic and international travel restrictions, it won't get the same priority consideration that, for example, the airlines will receive.

That said, if you are following some of the other threads, you'll see that there is every reason to believe that cancellations will continue to be made incrementally, month by month, after final payments are due. Even if the federal government announced tomorrow that the ports will be closed until the end of the year, it's unlikely that cancellation of all remaining 2020 Alaskan cruises would be made right away. 

Whether or not the ports are opened at some point this year, I doubt that your B2B will ever take place. As noted in this thread, there are factors other than port status that negatively impact on the likelihood of any Alaskan cruises this year. You will get your refund eventually but, unfortunately, you'll need to continue being patient. Alternatively, bite the bullet and forfeit the NRD.

I wish I could be more positive. :classic_sad:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Hence back to my original statement:  "I would like to see it in writing".

Frustrating, huh? It seems so easy to understand.

Yet some folks want us to take 'their word and opinion' as being fact, when, in fact, their word and opinion won't do a darn thing toward getting the refund or credits wanted/needed.

I'm not sure why that is so confusing.

• Like 2