Will Norwegian Alaska cruises go?

DennBu

I am scheduled to leave on the Norwegian Joy on July 4 out of Seattle. I am a little hesitant after seeing other cruise lines cancel the Alaska cruises until 2021. As of right now, I am going to wait to see if Norwegian cancels. I guess I am hesitant because it is one of the first cruises out of Seattle and not certain it is going to be that safe with this pandemic. I keep reading that the port of Seattle is closed indefinately, and the ports in Canada are closed tentatively until July 1. If I cancel, I am also hesitant about taking a voucher after hearing Norwegian talking about bankrupcy.  Not certain what I should do.  LOL  Guess I will have to wait it out and see what Norwegian decides. 

1 hour ago, DennBu said:

I am scheduled to leave on the Norwegian Joy on July 4 out of Seattle. I am a little hesitant after seeing other cruise lines cancel the Alaska cruises until 2021. As of right now, I am going to wait to see if Norwegian cancels. I guess I am hesitant because it is one of the first cruises out of Seattle and not certain it is going to be that safe with this pandemic. I keep reading that the port of Seattle is closed indefinately, and the ports in Canada are closed tentatively until July 1. If I cancel, I am also hesitant about taking a voucher after hearing Norwegian talking about bankrupcy.  Not certain what I should do.  LOL  Guess I will have to wait it out and see what Norwegian decides. 

Obviously none of us has the answer, only NCL does, but we can take informed and educated guesses with ALL the information that is available to us which points to the direction that there's NO CHANCE your cruise will sail. You should absolutely wait for them to cancel so you have the option to request a full refund. I know it's very difficult, I'm in the same position with a July 9th cruise from Rome, but you just have to wait it out.

What you can do now is review all your other trip plans for this cruise and cancel what you can that gives you a full refund. Check your airline and see what's their policy; has there been any major flight change in your air itinerary which would trigger a reason for requesting a refund? If not you'll be in the same position where you will need to wait until the last minute to cancel the flight reservation and get future credit. Of course if at any time your airfare presents the option of a full refund you should take it.

Watch the video of the Jim Cramer interview of CEO, Frank Del Rio linked below.  He says he is hoping NCL will resume cruising in the third quarter, but in interviews he has suggested he expects it to be more like September or October.  It all depends on the CDC and NCL is working with them on acceptable protocols now.

I am booked on the September 20th Bliss Alaska sailing.  Alaska cruises end in September and based on the most recent info we have been given I am not expecting it to take place.  I am disappointed; but I will get FCCs for 125% of what I paid.  This will be my 4th cruise that included FCCs with bonuses just in the last month.  By the time I finally get to take my next cruise it will be free (paid for strictly with my 25% FCC bonuses...:-) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corliss said:

I will get FCCs for 125% of what I paid.  This will be my 4th cruise that included FCCs with bonuses just in the last month.  By the time I finally get to take my next cruise it will be free (paid for strictly with my 25% FCC bonuses...:-) 

Provided prices do not rise.

We are booked on a July cruise to Alaska on the Bliss with a few other family members. We have decided on using the NCLs policy of allowing us to cancel up to 48 hours before sailing. Even if the cruise is a go, we are apprehensive as to how 'fun' the cruise might be with the cruise lines having to make restrictions on activities and dining.

We have put the minimum deposit on the same cruise for next year and are hoping that NCL cancels the cruise and we can use the fcc toward that cruise.

Our only loss then would be what we paid for travel insurance.

It turned out to be about $100 less for the rebooked cruise.

Just don't let that 20% discount for booking fool you. They raised the price and then give you the discount so the savings is not really 20%, just the $100. But that is ok with me.

48 minutes ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

We are booked on a July cruise to Alaska on the Bliss with a few other family members. We have decided on using the NCLs policy of allowing us to cancel up to 48 hours before sailing. Even if the cruise is a go, we are apprehensive as to how 'fun' the cruise might be with the cruise lines having to make restrictions on activities and dining.

We have put the minimum deposit on the same cruise for next year and are hoping that NCL cancels the cruise and we can use the fcc toward that cruise.

Our only loss then would be what we paid for travel insurance.

It turned out to be about $100 less for the rebooked cruise.

Just don't let that 20% discount for booking fool you. They raised the price and then give you the discount so the savings is not really 20%, just the $100. But that is ok with me.

We are in a similar situation and basically the same mindset.  I don't think the ports will be ready to have all the excursions with so many people, so not the cruise we are hoping for.  

Just an FYI - you will get your insurance in an FCC or a refund, that policy changed about a month ago.  We too put a deposit on the same cruise for next year.  We were told we would get the discount off of the price we booked - I'm not holding my breath on that. 

Obviously everything is subject to change, but we were told NCL is expected to follow Carnival on sailings, dates etc.  The word has come out that they will cancel cruises at least 30 days in advance.  Again, that is what they dink will happen but we all know nothing is done until it's done 🙂  

We fully expect in the next week to have our cruise cancelled, especially given that there was an article this week about BC most likely not opening to tourists this year.  When we get our cancellation, then comes the decision if we really even want to chance cruising next year.  I think we will leave the deposit on but with all the uncertainty just pay the extra $$ if all is well next year. 

• Like 1

We too, are in the same type situation. We have an Alaska cruise on the Jewel end of July. And according to the news article NCLH released to Cruise Critic Friday, it would appear they are going to cancel everything until Sept. or Oct. and then bring their ships and some cruises back slowly and at a reduced capacity.  Guess we'll see.  Hang in there everyone.  Have a great day. 

4 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I thought I read on CC that Canada is closed until 2021.

Not yet. The restrictions on cruise traffic are still set to expire July 1st.  The expectation is that they will be extended.  Same with the restrictions on non-essential travel across the border.  That is due to expire in the next couple of week (again).  Given that neither side of the border has a grip on this situation yet, you could expect that to be extended as well (at least on our side).

And CC isn't always the best source (sort of like Wikipedia but for cruise ships). Lots of opinions and rumours, definitely fun, not always a lot of facts. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We are booked end of August and I’m hoping they go.  I will settle for fewer excursion choices considering that there will be less ships and less people. My first Alaska cruise was on an ncl ship that held 455 people. It was great. 

these ports aren’t optimal when multiple ships come in and 15000 people descend on a small town. 

I will also accept assigned dining, no buffet and extra precautions to be able to sail on a ship with less people. 

I know right now the glass is half empty for cruisers but it’s also half full. We just don’t know what the half full looks like yet

7 minutes ago, darwinsrule said:

Not yet. The restrictions on cruise traffic are still set to expire July 1st.  The expectation is that they will be extended.  Same with the restrictions on non-essential travel across the border.  That is due to expire in the next couple of week (again).  Given that neither side of the border has a grip on this situation yet, you could expect that to be extended as well (at least on our side).

And CC isn't always the best source (sort of like Wikipedia but for cruise ships). Lots of opinions and rumours, definitely fun, not always a lot of facts. 

Thanks for setting the record straight.  You may want to chime in on this thread (my source of info.) and let them know as well.  There are plenty of us who can't keep up with the conflicting info. in our own country, much less our friends to the north.

We too, are scheduled to go to Alaska on July 18th. If, or more probably when, the cruise is cancelled, is the refund one lump sum payment that includes fare, tips, taxes & port charges, dinner reservations, and excursions? I was wondering if the money prepaid for excursions and dining came separately. 

I am hopeful that the 2021 AK season will go as scheduled - I suspect that there will not be enough left of the 2020 season to make it profitable for the cruise lines since most of the ships used there are on in the Atlantic and not the Pacific 

July is most likely going to be canceled. August and September are still up in the air, but have a good chance of canceling. With Alaska I think the excursions might be a big problem - the vast majority of those that run them are only summer residents so they're not up there right now and I'm guessing some will choose not to go for a one month season. I follow the captain of the whale watching trip I took and he's decided not to return for the summer and it sounded like the company he worked for decided not to operate this summer. 

As for Canada - since the ships only stop in Canada to comply with PVSA there's a possibility of the US making exceptions. Either not requiring the stop at all or allowing technical stops again. 

I think a bigger obstacle is that not all of the ships went through with their repositioning. I believe Jewel and Joy are on the west coast, but Bliss isn't. It would only take a couple days for Jewel/Joy to get up north but it's probably not worth it to move Bliss over for a 6 week season where 2 of that is just getting over there - unless Bliss is hanging out in California after but I believe she heads right back east so my guess is all Bliss Alaska cruises will be canceled regardless of when cruising starts up again. 

I was told that as long as coast guard confirms ship was in foreign waters they don’t need to dock at a port to fulfill Jones act. Whether this is true or not I’m not sure. 

if that’s the case ncl could do jewel and joy which are both hanging out on the west coast. Seattle to anchorage. I’d love to see them sail 1/2 full. US or Canadian citizens only as a way to test out new protocols. I’d feel safe with that itinerary. 

my opinion is this virus is with us for years. As people start heading back to work cases are going to rise. The travel industry is huge and is going to have to start opening up and the risk is going to be there. 

5 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Thanks for setting the record straight.  You may want to chime in on this thread (my source of info.) and let them know as well.  There are plenty of us who can't keep up with the conflicting info. in our own country, much less our friends to the north.

The actual ban on cruise ships in Canadian waters comes from Transport Canada which has regulatory authority over the waters.  B.C. can ask for the July 1st deadline to be extended, and likely has behind the scenes. Final decision is in the hands of the Minister of Transportation and the Federal Cabinet. 

The ports are governed under Federal legislation with representatives appointed by the government of Canada, and in the case of Vancouver representatives from B.C. and the other Prairie provinces, as well as local representatives.  They run the port facilities, that includes both the commerical and cruise parts.  B.C., working through the port authority can ban ships from docking if they have the votes of the Port Authority. Reality is the City of Vancouver is onboard with the ban, and I am sure even the federal reps would vote to support the ban. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I highly doubt it will happen. Princess, Holland America, and Carnival have already canceled the whole AK season. I doubt the local tourism companies can justify hiring seasonal workers with the limited number of cruises currently scheduled and the risk of those cruises being canceled. 

FDR said that at best 3 ships will be sailing in September, highly doubt one will show up for a 4 week season with no other cruise lines stopping in this season.  Throw in the amount of time it will take to gather a crew plus the uncertainty of Canadian ports, just not happening.

2 hours ago, iggyc said:

I was told that as long as coast guard confirms ship was in foreign waters they don’t need to dock at a port to fulfill Jones act. Whether this is true or not I’m not sure.  

Get a new source of information.

5 hours ago, iggyc said:

if that’s the case ncl could do jewel and joy which are both hanging out on the west coast. Seattle to anchorage. I’d love to see them sail 1/2 full. US or Canadian citizens only as a way to test out new protocols. I’d feel safe with that itinerary. 

my opinion is this virus is with us for years. As people start heading back to work cases are going to rise. The travel industry is huge and is going to have to start opening up and the risk is going to be there. 

It's the PVSA that governs passenger ships so based on calling it the Jones act they don't know what they're talking about. Furthermore the US put the kibosh on technical stops (docking but not letting passengers off) which is another knock off just being in foreign water being enough. And another nail in that coffin is that cruise ships leaving Seattle often enter Canadian waters (the way to get to international water is split between Washington and Canadian water). The final nail is probably that international waters equals foreign waters but any RT Hawaiian cruise from the US (besides Pride of America) still has to stop in a foreign port since its the stop that's important. 

We are waiting for our August Alaska cruise to be canceled.  Even if they could do the "technical" stops it would not matter-our cruise is a SB Anchorage to Vancouver and I am thinking Vancouver is not going to be open for disembarking.