Has your attitude to P&O changed?

Eglesbrech

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

Why, for example, are pax on Iona getting refunds before anyone else?

Do you think it could have anything to do with the amount of money involved and that they are refunding the least amounts first. It's only a thought as I don't know the amount that has been individually refunded. Just musing here.

Avril 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Do you think it could have anything to do with the amount of money involved and that they are refunding the least amounts first. It's only a thought as I don't know the amount that has been individually refunded. Just musing here.

Avril 

Don't think so Avril, I know Pete had much more than me due, as I'm sure others have. 

Andy 

36 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Britannia balconies would be even nicer if you didn't need to turn the chair sideways to sit down. I think the view is nicer from Celebrity balconies.😁

I was thinking more of the balcony cabin layout and furnishings rather than the actual balcony size itself.

Some of RC furniture in cabins looks tired and when Independence of the seas had its refit they never touched the cabin furniture or carpets.

Edited by grapau27

37 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril 

I don't think so, people in different types of cabin have said that they have had their refunds.   If it was by cost  insides would have been refunded by now but our friends who always have insides got their refund after we got ours for a balcony cabin.

I don't think that it has any logical sequence we are Liguian level and our friends were about to take their 3rd cruise so not based on peninsula club level or number of cruises.

Edited by Josy1953

I read somewhere(don t know how true it is) that refunds were being done so that a particular ship was being dealt with by one department  etc another ship by another department which might explain why some people on Ionas maiden voyage were getting refunds whereas others with earlier sailings in March or April were still waiting for theirs? or perhaps they want to keep people who are likely to re book with P and O probably on Iona happy if smaller ships like Oceana or Arcadia are likely to be sold off??

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ann141 said:

I read somewhere(don t know how true it is) that refunds were being done so that a particular ship was being dealt with by one department  etc another ship by another department which might explain why some people on Ionas maiden voyage were getting refunds whereas others with earlier sailings in March or April were still waiting for theirs? or perhaps they want to keep people who are likely to re book with P and O probably on Iona happy if smaller ships like Oceana or Arcadia are likely to be sold off??

Or perhaps, they are just in a disorganised mess

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

Or perhaps, they are just in a disorganised mess

12 minutes ago, ann141 said:

If smaller ships like Oceana or Arcadia are likely to be sold off??

I hope they are just a disorganised mess because if the smaller ships leave  P&O then so do we.

Avril 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I hope they are just a disorganised mess because if the smaller ships leave  P&O then so do we.

Avril 

Same for us,to date the only ships we have ever been on are Aurora and Oriana the larger ships do not really appeal to us.

Regarding P and O,we have only ever sailed with them and are not likely to change,we like what we get.

We did three cruises with them last year,Oriana's final sailing was amazing, best cruise we have done,things are in turmoil at the moment so we are happy to cut P and O some slack.

( unless they dare try to sell Aurora or Arcadia:classic_biggrin:)

Edited by Chrisdriving
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Us too, wouldn't go on anything bigger than Arcadia.

Going back to Selbourne's point on the other thread, the problem is the occupancy rate to bring in the £££.

On Aurora and Arcadia, there is inevitably less fat to cut because of the lower passenger numbers (and there is only so much they can charge); commercially these would go first with social distancing, but I would be upset too as these are also my favourite ships. 

Hopefully we are worrying over nothing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I feel sorry for the ship's crew who usually are fantastic and are being let down by poor HO customer service.

Like you I have always liked P&O and had some brilliant cruises with them even though we sail predominantly on Royal Caribbean because of our loyalty perks and large choice of amenities.

I think the balcony cabins are nicer on P&O than most RCL balcony cabins.

When things start to get back to normal I will sail P&O again because of the ship's and crew rather than the poor HO customer service.

I am not sure which ships you are comparing when discussing balconies Graham. Apart from C Deck on Azura/Ventura only Arcadia has balconies which are bigger than RCI ships, or at least the Voyager and Freedom class ships.

34 minutes ago, No pager thank you said:

On Aurora and Arcadia, there is inevitably less fat to cut because of the lower passenger numbers

Not having a mathematical mind just answer this for me please. It's a genuine question. I would have thought that smaller ships having  less passengers would therefore require less crew. A saving?? I would also have thought that a smaller ship would use less fuel?? I know I'm probably wrong so can you explain. 

Avril 

42 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I am not sure which ships you are comparing when discussing balconies Graham. Apart from C Deck on Azura/Ventura only Arcadia has balconies which are bigger than RCI ships, or at least the Voyager and Freedom class ships.

Graham was talking about the layout etc of the cabins rather than the balconies John. 

Andy 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Top picture.

RCL Explorer of the seas balcony cabin.

Middle Picture.

RCL Independence of the seas balcony cabin.

Bottom Picture.

P&O Ventura balcony cabin.

IMO the furniture and layout looks better on P&O Ventura.

We have been on every RCL class ship except Quantum.

IMG_20191007_140806.jpg

IMG_20190525_131947.jpg

IMG_20180824_132503.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Graham was talking about the layout etc of the cabins rather than the balconies John. 

Andy 

Thanks Andy.

I think my pictures of Explorer(Voyager class) Independence( Freedom class)and Ventura on last post highlight the better layout and room decor.

RC cabins look a little tired.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

I think even before Coronavirus reared its ugly head there were plans to get rid of at least one of the smaller ships if not 2. Even then think it would have been hard for P&O to fill 7 ships when Iona sailed and with Iona 2 on the horizon making it 8. So one of the smaller ships would have been on the cards to get rid of and now because of Coronavirus possibly 2. I suppose a lot depends on what is happening with the order for Iona 2 and whether it will be built or it can be cancelled and also larger ships give whether you like them give P&O more space and higher profits for the future. If you asked me personally I think Oceana and Aurora would be favourites and even though we havent cruised on Aurora for a number of years she was our first ever cruise with P&O in 2000 on one of her maiden voyages and have a soft spot for her.

14 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I think even before Coronavirus reared its ugly head there were plans to get rid of at least one of the smaller ships if not 2. Even then think it would have been hard for P&O to fill 7 ships when Iona sailed and with Iona 2 on the horizon making it 8. So one of the smaller ships would have been on the cards to get rid of and now because of Coronavirus possibly 2. I suppose a lot depends on what is happening with the order for Iona 2 and whether it will be built or it can be cancelled and also larger ships give whether you like them give P&O more space and higher profits for the future. If you asked me personally I think Oceana and Aurora would be favourites and even though we havent cruised on Aurora for a number of years she was our first ever cruise with P&O in 2000 on one of her maiden voyages and have a soft spot for her.

Our first cruise was on Aurora in 2003 and we have a soft spot for her too.

Been on Oceana a few times but felt the balconies were tiny even in a rear suite plus she rolled a bit in rough seas and feel she would be the ship to leave if any were to leave.

We have sailed all of P&O ships and liked them all although Arcadia was noisy with squeaky cabins the two times we got on her in her maiden season.

We have been on Ventura the most.

Edited by grapau27

If P&O were to sell off the smaller ships in favour of the mega ships they would be shooting themselves in the foot. The mega ship imo is not  cruising. It's an apartment block moving thousands of people across the sea from one port to the next. If P&O want to ignore the grey pound and the many traditional cruisers who want the more quieter relaxing holiday they will be making a huge mistake, as we are ones who regularly cruise more than once a year.

Avril 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Our first cruise was on Aurora in 2003 and we have a soft spot for her too.

Been on Oceana a few times but felt the balconies were tiny even in a rear suite.

We have sailed all of P&O ships and liked them all although Arcadia was noisy with squeaky cabins the two times we got on her in her maiden season.

We have been on Ventura the most.

What Aurora gives you is a completely different experience to the larger ships. I am not a fan of Oceana and haven't sailed on Arcadia yet but have done the rest. 

I just get such a laid back feeling on Aurora, even before she went adults only, completely different to the others. 

It just feels a class above for me, it would be such a shame if she went, but everything everywhere is going to have to adapt. 

Andy 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

If P&O were to sell off the smaller ships in favour of the mega ships they would be shooting themselves in the foot. The mega ship imo is not  cruising. It's an apartment block moving thousands of people across the sea from one port to the next. If P&O want to ignore the grey pound and the many traditional cruisers who want the more quieter relaxing holiday they will be making a huge mistake, as we are ones who regularly cruise more than once a year.

Avril 

I agree.

The NCL Epic is a prime example of a really ugly looking ship.

RCL Oasis class ships at 227,000 tons are the biggest ships in the world and lovely on board but look like a theme park at sea.

3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

What Aurora gives you is a completely different experience to the larger ships. I am not a fan of Oceana and haven't sailed on Arcadia yet but have done the rest. 

I just get such a laid back feeling on Aurora, even before she went adults only, completely different to the others. 

It just feels a class above for me, it would be such a shame if she went, but everything everywhere is going to have to adapt. 

Andy 

I agree and Anderson's was our go to place at night.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Andy.

I think my pictures of Explorer(Voyager class) Independence( Freedom class)and Ventura on last post highlight the better layout and room decor.

RC cabins look a little tired.

Personally I prefer having the bed near the cabin entrance and the lounge area near the balcony as well which favours the P&O layout.

• Like 2

Arcadia was our first cruise and she's beautiful. Aurora is stunning, we love her for different reasons, and also Oceana. They're all lovely in there own ways. We've tried a large ship, RCI'S Indy and it was awful. That American glitz is not my idea of cruising. If that is the future of cruising, I couldn't adapt to it. Unfortunately we just wouldn't cruise again.

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47