Next round of cancellations

4 hours ago, jbobst said:

Catching up with this thread, and been watching Royal's website for the mid-June sailings (still for sale).  I've not been following the cruise news as much as I should, but what is causing them to push sailings again?   Obviously the virus/pandemic, but wasn't sure where the next cruise guidelines are coming from or what's been released?  Is there a quick recap someone can give why cruises can't return in June?

In Italy, no American entry until at least the first of July; See sections 6 and 7 from the Italian Government. I received this from the US Embassy in Italy.

dpcm_20200517_eng.pdf

24 minutes ago, QuickGold said:

Let me help you: https://is.gd/ADEC3y

I attended the 10 am webinar and at no time did I hear them say they 'expect to return to service august 1st".

media adding their words unless there was a posting somewhere I haven't seen yet as I am at work now.   All three of them said they have no idea when sailings will begin again and won't sail until they can insure the safety of everyone.      During the webinar I got the impression that sailings (in some regions) will not begin until sometime later in the 2nd half of 2020 or early 2021.    Did anyone that attended the webinar get this same impression?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

I attended the 10 am webinar and at no time did I hear them say they 'expect to return to service august 1st".

media adding their words unless there was a posting somewhere I haven't seen yet as I am at work now.   All three of them said they have no idea when sailings will begin again and won't sail until they can insure the safety of everyone.      During the webinar I got the impression that sailings (in some regions) will not begin until sometime later in the 2nd half of 2020 or early 2021.    Did anyone that attended the webinar get this same impression?

Absolutely. They did not want to discuss ANY mitigation efforts currently in the works. They said when the time is ready to sail again they will be FULLY TRANSPARENT.

That means they're NOT SAILING FOR A LONG TIME.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Absolutely. They did not want to discuss ANY mitigation efforts currently in the works. They said when the time is ready to sail again they will be FULLY TRANSPARENT.

Might even mean,okay we sit tight until another cruiseline tries it and see how they handle it.... I would be surprised to see RCL go first.

Thank you for confirming what I got out of the meeting.     

Ridiculous how the media https://www.*****.com/2020/05/20/royal-caribbean-will-cancel-all-sailings-through-july-31-due-coronavirus writes this article saying they will resume sailing August 1st.      Twist of words Again by the media.    

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Might even mean,okay we sit tight until another cruiseline tries it and see how they handle it.... I would be surprised to see RCL go first.

It was interesting when an analyst specifically asked about what would happen when cruises start back up and someone contracts Covid19. They declined to answer the question. 

11 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

You're right, that's why the post says there was an update at noon with new info

799843448_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.e2820aea89764daa93dc1564e27bce3b.png

12 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

media adding their words unless there was a posting somewhere I haven't seen yet as I am at work now. 

An apology is in order, perhaps?

• Like 2

It was nice to hear them explain the reason most ships will remain in 'warm' vs cold layup and the cost impact.    Also, the fact they said it is cheaper to run the smaller ships leads me to believe they will start sailings on the smaller ships to destinations such as cococay to begin with.     But again I don't want to "fill in the blanks" like these reporters do online.

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

It was nice to hear them explain the reason most ships will remain in 'warm' vs cold layup and the cost impact.    Also, the fact they said it is cheaper to run the smaller ships leads me to believe they will start sailings on the smaller ships to destinations such as cococay to begin with.     But again I don't want to "fill in the blanks" like these reporters do online.

I didn't hear the whole presentation but I don't remember them saying that. What I specifically heard that newer ships has a lower  breakeven load factor - they only need 30% occupancy to breakeven vs 50% for older ships. The reason given was economies of scale,more varied room types, more fuel efficiency.

Was there an actual statement that older ships were cheaper to run? 

It was interesting when an analyst specifically asked about what would happen when cruises start back up and someone contracts Covid19. They declined to answer the question. 

Yes, I found that very interesting too.   As they said several times they will not sail until everyone on the ship feels safe and they can keep everyone safe and healthy.    

2 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I didn't hear the whole presentation but I don't remember them saying that. What I specifically heard that newer ships has a lower  breakeven load factor - they only need 30% occupancy to breakeven vs 50% for older ships. The reason given was economies of scale,more varied room types, more fuel efficiency.

Was there an actual statement that older ships were cheaper to run? 

I may have heard that part wrong as I had my son interrupted me while I was listening.   Forgive me if I did.

9 minutes ago, QuickGold said:

You're right, that's why the post says there was an update at noon with new info

799843448_Screenshot(1).thumb.png.e2820aea89764daa93dc1564e27bce3b.png

An apology is in order, perhaps?

Who me apologize for the facts I heard from the 3 top guys on a webinar instead of some blog posted saying they expect to return to service on August 1st.     ???

• Like 2