Will Celebrity really start back in June?

Jenjohncourt

1 hour ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Hello everyone! I’m sure some fellow cruisers have hashed this over. But would any of you book a mid Feb 2021 cruise right now? We have none on the books. It’s with a $900 Refundable deposit. It’s a great deal, price wise but don’t want to get caught up in the mess a lot of cruisers are in right now come January if it gets cancelled. Final payment date would be October so would know more by then.

FWIW, we had a March 2021 cruise booked and decided to shift it to 2022. Too many unknowns for next March in our opinion.

• Like 1

We have Feb 2021 booked on Connie, and Nov 6, 2020 on Equinox.  The November is the substitute for the March 27 Sillie ABC that got cancelled.    We have FCC to apply, but will do so closer to final payment.   We pushed July 2020 Bermuda out to 2021 as well.  Bottom line: We are hopeful.

1 minute ago, marieps said:

We have Feb 2021 booked on Connie, and Nov 6, 2020 on Equinox.  The November is the substitute for the March 27 Sillie ABC that got cancelled.    We have FCC to apply, but will do so closer to final payment.   We pushed July 2020 Bermuda out to 2021 as well.  Bottom line: We are hopeful.

We are hopeful as well.  We have a March 2021 scheduled but am considering a lift & shift to 2022.

9 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Sorry No.  They will not start back in June.  Or July either.  CDC No Sail order is through July 27 depending when you start counting the 100 days.  

Not entirely accurate.  It could go that long, but (according to the CDC) it's "subject to the modifications and additional stipulated conditions as set forth in this Order."  Be that as it may, it's possible to go the full 100 days, but the date is actually July 24th.  (Again, according to the CDC.)  There are three conditions where the order could be altered (from the CDC website):

• The Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declares that COVID-19 no longer constitutes a public health emergency, or
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • 100 days have passed from April 15, the date the extended order was published in the Federal Registerexternal icon and went into effect. 100 days from April 15 is July 24.

I think options 1 or 3 are mostly likely to occur, mainly due to pressure from the WH.  (Not to be political, just honest.)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

Not entirely accurate.  It could go that long, but (according to the CDC) it's "subject to the modifications and additional stipulated conditions as set forth in this Order."  Be that as it may, it's possible to go the full 100 days, but the date is actually July 24th.  (Again, according to the CDC.)  There are three conditions where the order could be altered (from the CDC website):

• The Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declares that COVID-19 no longer constitutes a public health emergency, or
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • 100 days have passed from April 15, the date the extended order was published in the Federal Registerexternal icon and went into effect. 100 days from April 15 is July 24.

I think options 1 or 3 are mostly likely to occur, mainly due to pressure from the WH.  (Not to be political, just honest.)

While it is possible that the order won't be renewed and will be allowed to lapse at the conclusion of the 100 days, IMO there's absolutely no likelihood that HHS is going to declare that COVID-19 no longer a medical emergency before July 24, the WH notwithstanding. That would have an impact far greater than allowing cruising to recommence.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, NordicPrince said:

Once again someone has to be told that cruises are not sailing and that the only reason that they have not been cancelled is that Celebrity can hold your money for as long as they can.

Celebrity is still trying to repatriate thousands of crew. Who is going to work on your sailing which you are planning to go on?

I would get your computer and your phone fixed because somewhere  in there is a broken connection.

I am trying to be gentle and nice but am having difficulty doing so.

The airlines are still screwed up. People are afraid to fly and it will be awhile before they have confidence to get on a plane.

Seriously!  The fact that anyone would ask such a question...🙄

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Maybe we are jumping the gun a bit.. had a fleeting thought we would book a cruise. Darn a sweet thought but may have to wait...Time will tell.

Book now. Since they are fully refundable with no extra cost, the only thing you lose is the use of your deposit money for a while. You can cancel before final payment and get refunded (assuming the cruise line is still in business).

T

Go Pack!!

• Like 1

We cancelled a Sept Canary Islands Cruise leaving from UK. I am skeptical that  European cruises will be up and running this fall. If so, it may be a compromised situation at the european ports. Suspect summer is a no go, then fall will be about watching for minor surges and unpredictable closures in ports. Sad. Once a vaccine comes along  it will be easier to plan.

3 hours ago, MisterMet said:

Oville,

Good to see your post.  The Waverly Green crew of 6 that was all set for a June 22 departure from Venice is now planning a “social distancing event on our lanai refund party” and we’ll be looking into 2021 Eastern Mediterranean departures.  Neither Italy nor Greece are open to tourists yet.😕  Can’t imagine any Europe season any time soon.

MisterMet Of Waverly Green

Oh so good to hear from you.  We are 6005, and you?

5 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

More than a month ago, people were posting that the CDC order was expiring in May. They were flat-out certain. Also, they insisted the CDC had no jurisdiction ... and that it could only offer "guidelines."

The latest version is suggesting the rule will be yanked early.   But that dog has been paraded out before & it just doesn't park.

NCL, RCI and CCL are all acknowledging that parts of their fleets are headed to cold layup - long-term storage. Seabourn, Princess and HAL have all thrown in the towel on the summer season entirely.

More importantly, NOBODY is going to risk signing off on another set of cruises if they're facing Round 2 of Zaandam, Coral, Diamond, Ruby, etc.  Politicians, health officials and cruise line executives alike can foresee CNN helicopters hovering overhead as ambulances pull up pierside ... personal injury lawyers handing out business cards at the taxi line ... wow, talk about bad optics.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

K.T.B.  Thanks for correcting my post to reflect the 100 day expiration of July 24th but in all honesty other than for complete accuracy with the Federal Register publication does that date really matter at all?  Most of us are very aware of these conditions.  But do you really think that even if any of these three things happen (very very low probability IMO) that any cruise line will in fact be ready to sail on July 25th?  Where will they go?  Which ports? How will they get their crew back- and trained on new procedures?  The CDC and HHS only oversee the US.  Most countries have ports and border closures and quarantine periods.  All magically disappear by July 24th?  You say that 1 and 3 are the most likely to occur?  Now that is truly optimistic of you but I personally just don't see it.  Sorry.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

Will they let you take the original OBC with you if you do "Lift&Shift" ?

Yes, all perks follow the lift and shift.  That was even true for those from our not to be named but very popular online booking site

18 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

K.T.B.  Thanks for correcting my post to reflect the 100 day expiration of July 24th but in all honesty other than for complete accuracy with the Federal Register publication does that date really matter at all?  Most of us are very aware of these conditions.  But do you really think that even if any of these three things happen (very very low probability IMO) that any cruise line will in fact be ready to sail on July 25th?  Where will they go?  Which ports? How will they get their crew back- and trained on new procedures?  The CDC and HHS only oversee the US.  Most countries have ports and border closures and quarantine periods.  All magically disappear by July 24th?  You say that 1 and 3 are the most likely to occur?  Now that is truly optimistic of you but I personally just don't see it.  Sorry.

Agreed.  There are SOOOO many factors going against the possibility of a July re-opening of cruising that I just don't see it happening.  I am one of those definitely hoping for miracles, but I don't expect one.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Oville said:

Oh so good to hear from you.  We are 6005, and you?

6443.  Walked by your place this morning with my Golden Graziella.  You live next to Tony and Robin?  Great people.  I’m really bummed about our trip but am trying to focus on the bigger picture.   Lost a wonderful friend to the virus.  As a NYer originally, its hard not feel the gravity of all this from many perspectives.

I hope that for the industry’s sake things can return soon, but under the right conditions.  Caution over speed.  We’ll get back on the seas eventually, and we’ll all have a wonderful time like always.

Well Canadians won't be able to catch a ship:  "

Canada-U.S. border to remain closed to non-essential travel for another month

An agreement has been reached between Canada and the United States to keep the border closed to all non-essential travel for another month, CTV News has learned. The extension on the existing agreement means that the border restrictions will stay in place until June 21."

I think some posters are misinterpreting the OP.  They know the trip won't happen, but in order to get a full refund they have to wait on them to cancel otherwise they are only getting a credit.

ETA: I am in the same boat.

Edited by mic123
addition

15 minutes ago, mic123 said:

I think some posters are misinterpreting the OP.  They know the trip won't happen, but in order to get a full refund they have to wait on them to cancel otherwise they are only getting a credit.

See post #28.  

15 minutes ago, mic123 said:

mic 123! You are the winner!! This is exactly what I was talking about. I am extremely aggravated with Celebrity for dragging their feet. No way I will “lift & shift” now. Don’t trust them as people can still book cruises in June with them. They know they won’t be cruising!!! I’m not going to let them hold on to my money for no knows how long!! 

3 minutes ago, marieps said:

See post #28.  

yes, I read all the posts including yours, and even "liked" it.  Apparently, people are still not reading it right so I thought I'd re-mention it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Jenjohncourt said:

mic 123! You are the winner!! This is exactly what I was talking about. I am extremely aggravated with Celebrity for dragging their feet. No way I will “lift & shift” now. Don’t trust them as people can still book cruises in June with them. They know they won’t be cruising!!! I’m not going to let them hold on to my money for no knows how long!! 

I only get it because I am in the same situation.  They canceled through June 11 and ours leaves on June 12.  We have flights going out a few days prior (Rome) which we also purchased through them.  We do not want to shift at this point, but would rather rebook when we feel like it.

6 minutes ago, mic123 said:

I only get it because I am in the same situation.  They canceled through June 11 and ours leaves on June 12.  We have flights going out a few days prior (Rome) which we also purchased through them.  We do not want to shift at this point, but would rather rebook when we feel like it.

I definitely feel for you! Hopefully, we will hear something soon. Wishing you all the best. 

• Like 1