Peace of Mind Extended Tgrough November 30

DwayneG

Was trying to decide whether to complete payment for October cruise, noticed they've extended the "cancel up to 48 hours before" offer.  Last time I looked it was still September 30.  I don't want to start a new argument about whether to pay or not, just thought the offer extension was noteworthy:

image.png.55785a298491e6838fa83716862b152e.png

• Like 4

It is good news and gives cruisers the option to Cancel for any Reason. Should your cruise be cancelled by the cruise line, you will be given options for a refund. The possibility of cancelled and changed cruises through the end of the year is high during the restart due to passenger loads and port availability. 

Peace of Mind is the company’s new temporary policy that allows new and existing (non-charter) individual and group bookings (booked by July 31, 2020) embarking through and including November 30, 2020 to cancel their booking up until 48 hours from the start of their vacation date and receive a 100% future cruise credit (FCC). The FCC may be used for sailings that embark on or before December 31, 2022. The new booking must be made within one year of the cancellation date.

That's ideal or those close to a port but for those of us who need to fly a long way, not so ideal. Especially for those who may get turned away at the airport with a fever. Too late to cancel cruise. Travel and cruise must be in sync or a lot of money could be lost. Same in reverse. Fly to port and then not able to board. Actually, I AM  close to a port, living in a port of call but that is so frustrating seeing ships come and go but needing to fly to cruise! 😝

17 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

That's ideal or those close to a port but for those of us who need to fly a long way, not so ideal.

Exactly. We were booked on a TA out of Italy in October (which we recently cancelled).  With international air travel involved, our cancelling a cruise 48 hours in advance would still have involved other financial losses, even if we got a FCC from NCL.  

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 1

I just received the email as well for my late October cruise.  Final payment due July. I will probably cancel and book again if the cruise industry has proven themselves. A credit isn’t worth anything if they go bankrupt. No one can be confident about the near future of cruising right now. 

Today I cancelled our September 20th cruise out of NYC. I had hoped that by September we would be out in the clear but given the NYC port location and the statements NCL has made about slow reopening, I just had to make the hard decision to let this vacation go. I was just a few days away from final payment which was a big lump. I really didn't want to be locked into FCC. Since I did cancel before the 120th day and I was in the Haven, there were no penalties. I even got the travel insurance premium back. Jamie, the rep I spoke with, couldn't have been nicer. This experience bodes well for me booking with NCL again. We'll have to see how long it takes for the refund to post to my CC but the reservation shows as cancelled already.

35 minutes ago, kathyRW said:

Today I cancelled our September 20th cruise out of NYC. I had hoped that by September we would be out in the clear but given the NYC port location and the statements NCL has made about slow reopening, I just had to make the hard decision to let this vacation go. I was just a few days away from final payment which was a big lump. I really didn't want to be locked into FCC. Since I did cancel before the 120th day and I was in the Haven, there were no penalties. I even got the travel insurance premium back. Jamie, the rep I spoke with, couldn't have been nicer. This experience bodes well for me booking with NCL again. We'll have to see how long it takes for the refund to post to my CC but the reservation shows as cancelled already.

I think you did the smart thing not to make final payment.  Too much money to be tied up with a cruise line at this uncertain time, especially for a cruise that is not likely to happen. 

We cancelled our October TA on May 5. Emailed my PCC, who took care of it that day. The two Cruise Next certs we’d applied to the booking went back into my Latitudes account almost immediately. Haven’t received the refund of our $ deposit back to our CC yet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kathyRW said:

I agree with what another poster said, In my opinion you really did make the smart move. I did the same with another cruise line and it worked out well. Good luck to you.

I had already moved my Dec. 5th TA cruise to a June 2022 cruise before this extension; I just don't think this c-19 will be resolved any time soon... even spring of 2021 seems suspect to me.  

However, fingers crossed that things will get resolved...

Best of luck to everyone.. 😉

Edited by All-ready2cruise

10 hours ago, DwayneG said:

Was trying to decide whether to complete payment for October cruise, noticed they've extended the "cancel up to 48 hours before" offer.  Last time I looked it was still September 30.  I don't want to start a new argument about whether to pay or not, just thought the offer extension was noteworthy:

image.png.55785a298491e6838fa83716862b152e.png

You get a fcc and not a refund...……...a full refund in the form of an Future Cruise Credit (FCC) to be used for sailings

This is a confirm booking with no cancellation. You do have an option of getting your money back like in a real refund

Edited by datolim
:.........

1 hour ago, skywonder said:

I agree with what another poster said, In my opinion you really did make the smart move. I did the same with another cruise line and it worked out well. Good luck to you.

I agree too.  I would never make final payment now.  Things are just too uncertain.  I have my eye on the Panama Canal cruise that leaves New York (maybe?) November 29th.  But that's our home port so we can just jump on last minute if and when it appears that it is actually going to sail.  I think the expectation to pay 120 days in advance is a hard NO for most people right now.  Even with the extension of the Peace of Mind policy I won't fork over thousands of dollars 4 months in advance until things are more certain.  Especially not since I've yet to receive the refund for our June cruise.

We have a family cruise booked for Oct 31.  Some members are having second thoughts.  I checked prices for switching to March and almost $2000 more per cabin.  We also got great deal on flights into Miami whereas we usually have to fly into Fort Lauderdale due to high cost into Miami. We’ve got till The first part of July to make final payment and get a refund.  After that it’s FCC and don’t think that will cover the cost of the future cruise .  

14 hours ago, reeinaz said:

I got an email for my October sailing but not for my August one 🤷‍♀️

Im kinda getting the feeling Ncl is throwing in the towel for august.  Shame.  Because it is one of the safest lines to go on looking at their previous covid numbers.  

14 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Exactly. We were booked on a TA out of Italy in October (which we recently cancelled).  With international air travel involved, our cancelling a cruise 48 hours in advance would still have involved other financial losses, even if we got a FCC from NCL.  

same here, on the Jade out of NYC to New York. We have not canceled yet but we will. We had used our FCC to pay for it since our April cruise was canceled.

i'd like to thank ncl for this kind and generous offer.  just my luck my cruise leaves dec 1st so as far as im concerned it's another useless tactic to make themselves look good. why dont they just extend this offer until the end of the year?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, complawyer said:

i'd like to thank ncl for this kind and generous offer.  just my luck my cruise leaves dec 1st so as far as im concerned it's another useless tactic to make themselves look good. why dont they just extend this offer until the end of the year?

Well...if the tactic is useless, then why not just cancel it completely? No sense extending a useless tactic.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Well...if the tactic is useless, then why not just cancel it completely? No sense extending a useless tactic.

Someone will always be upset.  If they extended it through the end of the year, someone on a Jan 1st cruise will complain that they were not included.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

For quite some time, the offer applied only to cruises departing before Oct. 1, 2020.  It's now been extended to cover cruises through November.   Final payment for cruises in October and November is fast approaching, so it would seem that NCL is trying to entice people on those cruises to make final payment.  Perhaps when final payment for December cruises approaches, NCL will extend the offer again.    Frankly, I think this is all pretty moot, as I doubt we'll see cruising this calendar year.    In any event, your final payment isn't due yet, so you are completely free to cancel your cruise right now and get a full refund of whatever you paid.   That sounds very useful to me.    

• Like 1

Well, I'm in the same boat with some of you. I have a 10/30/2020 cruise booked on the Breakaway out of "Oh No " (Manhattan). My final payment is due 06/26. My sister and a friend are coming along. My issue is I don't want to put thousands on my CC and having to be stuck with that bill to pay if there is no guarantee the cruise will sail. A future CC will do me no good, as I will still be responsible for the credit card payment. If My sister and friend do not reimburse me for this cruise, I'll be stuck for their portion of my cc bill. I talked to NCL yesterday and was told they have shut off the automatic cancel tool on their website and would NOT get cancelled if my final payment wasn't paid when due, and that I would get lots of e-mails before it actually cancels. In essence buying me some extra time to see if it actually does sail. Does Not mean this is true. I had had others tell me before "that is not correct, who told you that"? So I take what I'm told with a grain of salt and am just hoping for the best. I have a super price and perks for this sailing so I don't want to lose it. A lot can happen in 5 months. I was also told other info, but will not go into detail due to time. I was told they are planning to sail again as of  July 1st. Out of where and to where are anyone's guess. I myself wouldn't mind being on a larger ship sailing at 50% capacity if this were to happen. So many opinions from everywhere, I guess time will tell. I wish you all luck!!!!!!

17 minutes ago, crystalaziza said:

Well, I'm in the same boat with some of you. I have a 10/30/2020 cruise booked on the Breakaway out of "Oh No " (Manhattan). My final payment is due 06/26. My sister and a friend are coming along. My issue is I don't want to put thousands on my CC and having to be stuck with that bill to pay if there is no guarantee the cruise will sail.

I know you realize there is never any guarantee that any cruise will sail, and certainly none now, and there won't be at the time you need to decide on whether to make final payment on this particular cruise.

18 minutes ago, crystalaziza said:

A future CC will do me no good, as I will still be responsible for the credit card payment.

Exactly.  So you need to decide before final payment whether you want to throw more money at this, especially when there is a chance the cruise may not even go (or, if it does, whether there might be so many restrictions in place, like having to wear masks on board, restricted dining, etc., that you wouldn't want to cruise).   A large branch of my wife's and my decision tree in cancelling our late October TA out of Italy was knowing that, even if that cruise were to sail (which I think is highly unlikely), there would be no vaccine available by then, and it would not be prudent to be on air planes or cruise ships.

23 minutes ago, crystalaziza said:

If My sister and friend do not reimburse me for this cruise, I'll be stuck for their portion of my cc bill.

Well, that's a whole other kettle of fish that you certainly need to work out with them!  😮

25 minutes ago, crystalaziza said:

I was also told other info, but will not go into detail due to time. I was told they are planning to sail again as of  July 1st.

Nope.  No cruises through July (at the very least).

Good luck with your decision-making!