Rumor has it, more cancellations may be announced soon

CineGraphic

5 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

Some folks in the industry feel that another announcement will be made soon with even more cancellations.

It's a rumor till it is official, then the officials can choose to change it once conditions change, LOL

But I agree there is NOTHING on the horizon that suggest any sane person in a place of leadership would sanction a cruise before Christmas time at the earliest.

53 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

There could be a problem with driving to Florida in the Fall.  How many states might require a quarantine just to drive through the state?  Many jurisdictions are abusing the 14 day quarantine concept as a method of just keeping travelers out.  Who knows what the Fall might bring?

Sorry, but I don't believe that for a second.  With States opening up, I do not anticipate any issue whatsoever for driving around USA this Fall.  In fact, if the border opens in time, we may well do a driving trip in USA in Sep and Oct.  For FL, only need open access by Christmas holidays at latest.  

My money would go on open border no later than day after Labor Day approx.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

I'm wondering about our Australia/New Zealand cruises in November/December. It's unclear to me if the cruises will be cancelled or if they will stay in place with only local cruisers actually allowed. I'm guessing we won't be allowed to cruise but Princess may still have the cruises as it's likely that most of the passengers would be "local".

I agree with your comments and feel the scenario you mention is quite likely.

My thoughts - I doubt that our 23rd November cruise from Aust to NZ will go ahead because Aust may not allow cruise ships into our ports by then. It could only happen with 14 days' quarantine for the crew, but that wouldn't be too difficult because they would be in quarantine while sailing here.

If cruising does start in Aust/NZ waters this year, I think it is likely it will be for Aust/NZ'ers only. These two countries have nearly controlled the virus within our shores with no new cases most days. There was quite a fuss when there was one new case in Queensland a few days ago (a nurse at an aged-care facility), but so far, there has been no transmission to anyone else. There has been talk in government circles here, that they will open an 'Australia-New Zealand bubble' allowing travel between the two, but still not allow anyone from any other country.

Thrak - I doubt you will be doing your Australia and New Zealand cruise this year. ☹️

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

If cruising does start in Aust/NZ waters this year, I think it is likely it will be for Aust/NZ'ers only

Excellent - which Australia flagged ship will y'all be using ???

21 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Sorry, but I don't believe that for a second.  With States opening up, I do not anticipate any issue whatsoever for driving around USA this Fall.  In fact, if the border opens in time, we may well do a driving trip in USA in Sep and Oct.  For FL, only need open access by Christmas holidays at latest.  

Of course it is all dependent on whether or not different states fear a spike in the fall as some have predicted.  Also, states that are reopening are still maintaining their quarantine requirements.  It's all a crapshoot - I wouldn't bet on anything either way.   🙂

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Excellent - which Australia flagged ship will y'all be using ???

Do you mean that Australia will only allow Australian-flagged ships to sail from its ports? I don't believe the government would introduce a law like that. If that is what you think then there will never be any cruises from Australia. I don't agree. Ships will come back, but the only question is when - late this year or next year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Do you mean that Australia will only allow Australian-flagged ships to sail from its ports? I don't believe the government would introduce a law like that. If that is what you think then there will never be any cruises from Australia. I don't agree. Ships will come back, but the only question is when - late this year or next year.

Australia / NZ - it's a great time for y'all to pick up a couple of ships at a great price !! - then staff them with y'all's own crew / staff … and go for it  - that's what y'all want, right ???

From articles I have read by CEOs of Carnival and RCI, expect cruise lines to reduce their fleet much like airlines are doing.  And use their smaller ships (no way to keep people safe on a 9,000 passenger and crew size ship).  They also mentioned reduced capacity and they discussed no interior rooms booked.  Obviously fewer tables in dining rooms.  The buffet seems to be the biggest sticking point - even though we have all been on cruises with Noro and we cannot serve ourselves, there is still the mass of people and close contact.  So we might have to follow the route arrows on the floor and stand on the X 6 ft apart and wait our turn!  All that said, I have recently ventured out for 2 restaurant dining experiences and they were fine.  So it can be done it will just require a lot of patience.  And you cannot be a seasoned traveler/cruiser if you can’t follow rule no. 1 - Be Flexible!  

I have had 2 cruises canceled for 2020 (we typically do 4 per year).  Our January cruise on the Coral that ended Feb 7 to So America and Antarctica was too awesome for words.  If my cruising had to be put on hold that was a good one to end on.  

I am booked on a New Years cruise 12/29/20 on Crown for 10 night RT FLL Panama Canal new lock, Costa Rica and Caribbean and I am hopeful to be on board,  mask and all, following whatever procedures and practices deemed necessary to get back cruising!  I had no idea how hard withdrawal would be.  I agree that being safe and careful is important, but as someone else said earlier, life is a risk - we all have an expiration date - but after looking at all the options, and if I feel comfortable with the situation, whatever circumstance I find myself in, I am going to give it a go.

Hope to see you all on board again!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

I'm wondering about our Australia/New Zealand cruises in November/December. It's unclear to me if the cruises will be cancelled or if they will stay in place with only local cruisers actually allowed. I'm guessing we won't be allowed to cruise but Princess may still have the cruises as it's likely that most of the passengers would be "local".

This is what an Australian Government Minister is reported to have said last Friday.

"Federal Tourism Minister Simon Birmingham has cautioned against booking cruise tickets, stressing that there is no set date they will be permitted to return to sea amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Many cruise companies have been taking bookings for this year and early 2021, but Birmingham said it would be "optimistic" to think they would be operating again by September.

"We haven't got to the specifics of talking about their restarting, and frankly, the first hurdle they've got to clear is with health officials, not with tourism ministers, to demonstrate that they can operate in a COVID-safe way," he said."

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Thrak - I doubt you will be doing your Australia and New Zealand cruise this year. ☹️

But my wife and I really wanted to sample the BEER! We make a point of doing that everywhere we go. 😎

(Also I hear you have some very bizarre flavors of potato chips. Not sure I'd be as adventurous with those though.)

If you like bizarre flavors of snacks, try Japan. It's like Harry Potter's Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans, except somebody had to actually green-light the flavors. (Want a Wasabi-flavored Kitkat? No? Neither did I. Actually wasn't as bad as it sounds.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chipmaster said:

It's a rumor till it is official, then the officials can choose to change it once conditions change, LOL

But I agree there is NOTHING on the horizon that suggest any sane person in a place of leadership would sanction a cruise before Christmas time at the earliest.

Maybe they are going to announce a Princess going out of business sale.

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I agree with your comments and feel the scenario you mention is quite likely.

My thoughts - I doubt that our 23rd November cruise from Aust to NZ will go ahead because Aust may not allow cruise ships into our ports by then. It could only happen with 14 days' quarantine for the crew, but that wouldn't be too difficult because they would be in quarantine while sailing here.

If cruising does start in Aust/NZ waters this year, I think it is likely it will be for Aust/NZ'ers only. These two countries have nearly controlled the virus within our shores with no new cases most days. There was quite a fuss when there was one new case in Queensland a few days ago (a nurse at an aged-care facility), but so far, there has been no transmission to anyone else. There has been talk in government circles here, that they will open an 'Australia-New Zealand bubble' allowing travel between the two, but still not allow anyone from any other country.

Cruising aside, does that mean that Australia/NZ will prevent anyone from flying into the countries too? That's where it starts to blow my mind - if they don't, then the country is really not much safer as anyone on a flight could have the virus. If they do, then not only are you cutting off tourism but also preventing people visiting family that live there, and preventing Australians/NZ'ers from visiting family that don't live there. It's for sure a crazy situation right now!

27 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Cruising aside, does that mean that Australia/NZ will prevent anyone from flying into the countries too? That's where it starts to blow my mind - if they don't, then the country is really not much safer as anyone on a flight could have the virus. If they do, then not only are you cutting off tourism but also preventing people visiting family that live there, and preventing Australians/NZ'ers from visiting family that don't live there. It's for sure a crazy situation right now!

Currently Australia’s borders are closed. Only Australian citizens, residents and immediate family members can travel to Australia. The are a few exemptions granted. Definitely not for tourists.

Edited by By The Bay
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Yes. Australia's borders have been closed for quite some time to everyone except Australian citizens and residents. This situation will continue for quite a long time. Currently, our State borders are also closed, but they could open reasonably soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Maybe they are going to announce a Princess going out of business sale.

I'm sitting on $5k in Princess Gift Cards... Seemed like a no-brainer. Who could have possibly anticipated this crap? Oh, well. I'm already down $14k due to a couple of "funds" tanking. It's only money, right?  GAH!!! (At least we aren't sick, so far...)

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Land of the dead and free, LOL

This next four weeks will be interesting,  With memorial day holiday here, opening across the country and serious cabin fever I think caution will be thrown to the winds by many.  I'm thinking Mardi Gras and Spring Break all over but it will be like that across the country.  Biology doesn't care about holidays or lockdowns and will leverage that moment to make a few new cases and three weeks later we'll see another surge in ICU/deaths.  Likely not as bad as the first wave and NYC like news events.  It'll be another left versus right struggle, interesting times indeed, feels like ground hog day of epic nightmare

Edited by chipmaster

33 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I'm sitting on $5k in Princess Gift Cards... Seemed like a no-brainer. Who could have possibly anticipated this crap? Oh, well. I'm already down $14k due to a couple of "funds" tanking. It's only money, right?  GAH!!! (At least we aren't sick, so far...)

Your funds could recover. I hope cruising can also recover.

38 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Only 14K, small potatoes,  I think the probability for using the 5K in 2022 is high, inflation adjusted who knows after the recession it might buy a lot.    

4 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

I have had 2 cruises canceled for 2020 (we typically do 4 per year).  Our January cruise on the Coral that ended Feb 7 to So America and Antarctica was too awesome for words.  If my cruising had to be put on hold that was a good one to end on.  

We were on the Coral just before you and actually were thinking the same thing that if that was our final cruise, it was a special one to end on.  We have had two cruises cancelled this year since then - one a return to the Baltic that we should have been on now and Tahiti in October that we were really looking forward to.  Hoping that things will get back to normal soon but if not we've had a lifetime of memories on Princess ships.

29 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Only 14K, small potatoes,  I think the probability for using the 5K in 2022 is high, inflation adjusted who knows after the recession it might buy a lot.    

Small potatoes to you perhaps. Not to me. I don't sail in suites or even club class mini suites (or even regular mini suites). $14k is a freaking ton of money to me. It must be nice to be able to downplay what others see as a major issue. Be happy you are wealthier than I am. The $5k is Princess only so who knows if it will be worth anything at all.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, it is a federal mandate thus far for the 14-day isolation/quarantine (Australia & NZ have had the same).  That needs to end for Canada-USA in order to support day trips, but I would live with border opening and voluntary self-isolation when get back home after a vacation (would never go across for they day and then have to isolate).  For sure, we need to be able to let the snowbirds head south in late fall to end of year.  I think things WILL be clear by then for travel to Florida, even if we are not ready for the high seas.

This chart says it all. BTW, the chart dates to early April.

BC COVID Ontario Quebec.JPG

12 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

The Pan Pacific isn't even open right now...all the hotels near the port ceased operations in March for the most part. Today we are meant to be slowly reopening in phase 2 but I'm not sure if that includes hotels. Good luck - hope you get your money back one way or another!

Pan opened today 🙂 Happy Phase 2! Be kind, be calm, and be safe.

Edited by the_thunderbird
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

This chart says it all. BTW, the chart dates to early April.

Yes, the article and chart are about 1.5 months old and that is an eternity in the COVID-19 lifespan.  And congrats to BC for good management then and now.  

They could open the border for BC/WA road traffic now.  Not likely anyone from ON/QC is going to drive all the way to BC to enter USA and then drive all the way back East again.

In ON, things are of course much better than 6 weeks ago, but they struggled to get testing ramped up (BTW, USA has passed Canada in testing per 1000's of population for some time now).  The LTC homes account for over 80% of deaths.  Hospitals never got over-used and now much capacity is sitting unused until "elective" procedures get going again.  They relied on projections that were overly negative, but who knew for sure?  Unfortunately, they are dragging feet to allow opening up even as evidence shows things not so bad.  Protect the elderly and at-risk and the vast majority should be able to carry on

21 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Protect the elderly and at-risk and the vast majority should be able to carry on

Yes, once your epidemic is under control. That's under 1% growth in cases and a lot more testing.

No, the border with WA remains closed because weird people from other states can enter BC through WA. I hope that ON and QC will keep their borders closed. No rational reason why covid will suddenly go away when it is doing so well in the states.

Should the snowbirds migrate this fall? Will they have insurance valid for covid??

• Haha 1