Carnival postpones its millionaire investment of the Carnival Victory/Carnival Radiance

shof515

I would love to have Carnival announce one way or another what is happening to the Radiance for next year. I am booked July 2021 in a cabin which doesn't exist yet. We are traveling with another family which has 2 existing cabins. I can respect either business decision, but I want to know what it is so I can plan.

1 minute ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

The correct answer is the ship is already gutted and the remodel will proceed. Full stop.

or they might be planning to change to remodel that requires less work. I wont be surprised to see the plans of adding the extra cabins on deck 5 to be scrapped. if that space is already gutted, they can re add that lounge back with updated decor like new chairs and carpet.

It will be interesting to see what carnival does do with the remodel and if they changed any planned work

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 2:53 PM, BlerkOne said:

JH said it will only take two months for the transformation - still plenty of time. No worries.

With respect, "JH" says a lot of things that turn out to not be true.  He swore to us that all European cruises this year would sail as planned.  A week or two later, they were all cancelled.  Then he swore that July cruises would sail as planned.  And we all now what ended up happening there.  He basically says whatever will make people happy in the moment.  Whatever Carnival wants him to say.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cruising_Addict said:

With respect, "JH" says a lot of things that turn out to not be true.  He swore to us that all European cruises this year would sail as planned.  A week or two later, they were all cancelled.  Then he swore that July cruises would sail as planned.  And we all now what ended up happening there.  He basically says whatever will make people happy in the moment.  Whatever Carnival wants him to say.

With respect, I think JH says what is true at the time. Too many people expect him to have a crystal ball. A simple example is a hurricane. Everyone may think they know where it is going, but hurricanes don't always listen. Carnival isn't going to change an itinerary until the future is known or circumstances force a decision. That isn't good enough for some.

John isn't going to say a cruise is canceled until Carnival publicly says it is canceled. Period. Full stop. I wouldn't expect him to speculate, either. Too many people take what he says as gospel and they would be off an running to CC, FB, Mouse, etc. He doesn't make the decisions.

John has thick skin and is used to being used as punching bag by some. I have little doubt it still hurts. Whatever floats your boat.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, a cruise ship renovation is a complex thing. 

(Quote chopped for brevity.)

OK, thanks, that's exactly the kind of summary I was looking for - and I appreciate that you don't know the exact details of this particular contract/program, so you have to generalize.

Well, I guess I'll just go back to wondering...and hoping that the ship, regardless of name, will get back into service in time for the currently planned itineraries.  But for the sake of those booked in new cabins, I hope those changes get done too.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser

On 5/21/2020 at 12:22 PM, BlerkOne said:

With respect, I think JH says what is true at the time. Too many people expect him to have a crystal ball. A simple example is a hurricane. Everyone may think they know where it is going, but hurricanes don't always listen. Carnival isn't going to change an itinerary until the future is known or circumstances force a decision. That isn't good enough for some.

John isn't going to say a cruise is canceled until Carnival publicly says it is canceled. Period. Full stop. I wouldn't expect him to speculate, either. Too many people take what he says as gospel and they would be off an running to CC, FB, Mouse, etc. He doesn't make the decisions.

John has thick skin and is used to being used as punching bag by some. I have little doubt it still hurts. Whatever floats your boat.

With respect to you, it was no more than a week before our European cruise was cancelled that John was emphatically stating that all of the European sailings (expect for some of the Radiance’s which were already cancelled at the time) were going to sail as planned, and that he was looking forward to all of them. This was after they had removed them from the website. There is no way Carnival didn’t know that they were going to be cancelled. They knew. So either they are lying to him (which I sincerely doubt), or he is lying to us just to make us happy in the moment.

I understand he’s a wonderful guy and means well. I’ve met him and he personally helped me with a meet & greet; he even broadcasted a live video of it for us. So I do know first-hand how great he is. I’m not trying to diss him. But he is doing a disservice by getting people’s hopes up. He would be better off just saying “I’m not at liberty to say at the moment” and just leave it at that. 

Edited by Cruising_Addict

1 hour ago, Cruising_Addict said:

With respect to you, it was no more than a week before our European cruise was cancelled that John was emphatically stating that all of the European sailings (expect for some of the Radiance’s which were already cancelled at the time) were going to sail as planned, and that he was looking forward to all of them. This was after they had removed them from the website. There is no way Carnival didn’t know that they were going to be cancelled. They knew. So either they are lying to him (which I sincerely doubt), or he is lying to us just to make us happy in the moment.

I understand he’s a wonderful guy and means well. I’ve met him and he personally helped me with a meet & greet; he even broadcasted a live video of it for us. So I do know first-hand how great he is. I’m not trying to diss him. But he is doing a disservice by getting people’s hopes up. He would be better off just saying “I’m not at liberty to say at the moment” and just leave it at that. 

Many people fail to appreciate the logistics of cancelling cruises, what options are available, fair compensation, etc. I'm sure there is a sequence and order to follow.

I'm not at liberty is as much a confession. Same with I can neither confirm nor deny. I don't blame John for getting people's hope up. They do it to themselves.

I see many people with the option to cancel a cruise with no penalty holding out until Carnival officially cancels hoping they get better compensation. I view that as plain greed.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 10:23 AM, shof515 said:

or they might be planning to change to remodel that requires less work. I wont be surprised to see the plans of adding the extra cabins on deck 5 to be scrapped. if that space is already gutted, they can re add that lounge back with updated decor like new chairs and carpet.

It will be interesting to see what carnival does do with the remodel and if they changed any planned work

I think they would scrap a lot of other things before extra income producing cabins.

On 5/21/2020 at 11:22 AM, BlerkOne said:

With respect, I think JH says what is true at the time. Too many people expect him to have a crystal ball. 

John isn't going to say a cruise is canceled until Carnival publicly says it 

Most people issues are when he is a mouthpiece and repeats the company line knowing full well its not true.. if you state a cruise is on and know it's about to be cancelled .... it's a lie. He knows but says the company line. 

I've met him and I'm sure he has his fans. 

45 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Most people issues are when he is a mouthpiece and repeats the company line knowing full well its not true.. if you state a cruise is on and know it's about to be cancelled .... it's a lie. He knows but says the company line. 

He DOES work for them, its his job.  A tually a stand up guy, have met hom many times.  

36 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

He DOES work for them, its his job.  A tually a stand up guy, have met hom many times.  

I get it. I said some love him. 

My favorite was the cruise director who played the fiddle

We all have our favourites.

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

No argument there.   Our first cruise we had a guy with a parrot, cannot remember his name.  All good 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Some people like to hold him to a higher standard than anyone else at Carnival, or indeed themselves.

If you call Carnival and ask, they will tell you the cruise is on until it is cancelled.

Until it is officially cancelled, it isn't a lie. That's the truth. People who expect him to release insider information are nuts. Insider information could be used for a financial advantage - as in buying and selling of stock. Some need to think of the big picture and not just Me Me Me. Or not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Some people like to hold him to a higher standard than anyone else at Carnival, or indeed themselves.

If you call Carnival and ask, they will tell you the cruise is on until it is cancelled.

Until it is officially cancelled, it isn't a lie. That's the truth. People who expect him to release insider information are nuts. Insider information could be used for a financial advantage - as in buying and selling of stock. Some need to think of the big picture and not just Me Me Me. Or not.

I used to cruise with a group called the crazies and the main guy with tight with john. I felt like wall paper.

Some CDs you like because they were friendly when you ran into them. Idk who I had when I did vista, a younger black guy I didn't think I'd like from his posts, but when I had a complaint he listened. 

Who we like sometimes just is as simple as that, someone who was nice when we passed in public. I don't have to be a john fan, its not required to cruise on carnival. 

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Steve Cassals.

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

No argument there.   Our first cruise we had a guy with a parrot, cannot remember his name.  All good 

Cory Schmidt. 

Edited by Jamman54

1 hour ago, Jamman54 said:

Steve Cassals.

Cory Schmidt. 

Yes, I would do ecstasy just to hear him play in the shows. I loved that guy.

He did a great devil comes down to Georgia and some others. Once he even played in talent show.

As to the OP, I sailed on the Victory in January.

Much had already been done, especially to my balcony room.   The large screen TV had been installed as well as a motion detector activated nightlight by the restroom.....very helpful at night.

The cabin door had been altered with a louvered screen at the bottom......not great for sounds in the hallway, but new.

Other than stuff you wouldn't notice like scrubbers or a new hull scraping....I would sail again any time on her.

The showroom put on fantastic shows....the newer Breeze, Dream, Vista, Horizon, and Panorama do not have this venue.

David

On 5/22/2020 at 4:15 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Whose name, the guy or the parrot?

On 5/21/2020 at 7:08 AM, Petroplex said:

I would love to have Carnival announce one way or another what is happening to the Radiance for next year. 

I'm with you. I think they should say something one way or another but maybe they dont know.

Doesnt make me want to book the ship