Proposal for cruising to return in the U.K.

Hi

My proposal and this could be a model for other countries...

We know that restrictions will be enforced if we travel abroad and then have 14 day quarantine, possibly both ways.

Why not have a period of time for cruise ships to sail from the U.K. and only visit U.K. ports, we do have this itinerary anyway.

This would only be for passengers who do not need to travel from abroad and get the cruise ships that are docked in the UK sailing again.

Checks would have to be in place for the crew and passengers before they are allowed to board any ship.

Crew members travelling from other countries would have to have the 14 day quarantine before they could joint the ship, I think they would be glad to be back at work getting paid ?

Other countries or different states could use this model? But it would work better I know on our Islands, as we are more contained.

i over see Construction sites all over the Country and have all sites now working with different nationalities, who have reported on infections on any sites due to following the guide lines set out. Cruise passengers know the practice of washing their hands and using hand sanitizers. For Cruising to restart we need to start in the most practical way possible and I know we all would go around the UK to get back cruising again.

This is a suggestion and would then require more careful planning and RIsk & Methods to prevent.....

13 minutes ago, Rocky of London said:

Hi

We know that restrictions will be enforced if we travel abroad and then have 14 day quarantine, possibly both ways.

Why not have a period of time for cruise ships to sail from the U.K. and only visit U.K. ports, we do have this itinerary anyway.

This would only be for passengers who do not need to travel from abroad and get the cruise ships that are docked in the UK sailing again.

Checks would have to be in place for the crew and passengers before they are allowed to board any ship.

Crew members travelling from other countries would have to have the 14 day quarantine before they could joint the ship, I think they would be glad to be back at work getting paid ?

Other countries or different states could use this model? But it would work better I know on our Islands, as we are more contained.

i over see Construction sites all over the Country and have all sites now working with different nationalities, who have reported on infections on any sites due to following the guide lines set out. Cruise passengers know the practice of washing their hands and using hand sanitizers. For Cruising to restart we need to start in the most practical way possible and I know we all would go around the UK to get back cruising again.

This is a suggestion and would then require more careful planning and RIsk & Methods to prevent.....

In UK waters?  Therefore, all crew and guests are potentially subject to UK Laws and liable to HMRC Duties and Taxes for all onboard purchases.

example:  A current bar bill price could be plus 20% VAT -

And no Duty /Tax Free sales onboard.

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Typo

Will there be enough customers from the UK to fill a ship and make the cruise economical from the lines point of view? Not so sure I would want to spend thousands on a cruise around my own country. Many people in the UK have lost their jobs and livelihoods, with many more to come, cruising around the UK will be the last thing on their minds. Were would the ship dock? I don't think that many tourists places in the UK would want a cruise line docking in their ports at this time. 

It would be interesting to see if countries would suspend laws that require an out-of-country stop for a period of time (say a year for example) as a way to help the industry rather than just handing them money, like the airlines.  However, it's probably only possible for countries like UK, the US and Australia that are large enough to have a variety of ports to visit.

In the US the lines with private islands in the Bahamas could do cruises there and back, but how much interest would there be from consumers?

44 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

In the US the lines with private islands in the Bahamas could do cruises there and back, but how much interest would there be from consumers?

Some threads here have shown significant interest in cruises which only hit private islands — and many cruise just for the ship, not caring about hitting any port at all.

I doubt that NCL, Carnival and RCI could fill all their ships that way (limited itineraries from Florida to the Bahamas and Caribbean) but certainly a fair number.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

In UK waters?  Therefore, all crew and guests are potentially subject to UK Laws and liable to HMRC Duties and Taxes for all onboard purchases.

example:  A current bar bill price could be plus 20% VAT -

And no Duty /Tax Free sales onboard.

If the Channel Islands and/or Republic of Ireland would play ball then those issues might be overcome. They also could all change after Dec 31 2020 because of Br***t.

7 minutes ago, SteveH2508 said:

They also could all change after Dec 31 2020 because of Br***t.

Very true...

Also, so looking forward to the possibility of bringing back Coastal Bomber Command to patrol our fishing waters.

Let the party begin......

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2020 at 12:59 PM, Rocky of London said:

Hi

Has any one on the forum sailed around the British islands...?

Yes we have - loved the itinerary and would thoroughly recommend it. We did not get to Kirkwall on our trip but that is meant to be very good - worth keeping an eye out for that one. We would do a round Britain again, provided there were some different ports of call.

I heard Simon Calder, travel editor of "The Independent" on the radio the other day. While accepting he isn't a doctor I do respect his opinion on travel matters.

Amongst other things he said: 

he doesn't believe the 14 day quarantine on arrival in the UK will be in place beyond the end of July

A caller said they had seen an advert for a great holiday to Portugal in mid July at a really bargain price. Calder's advice was "go ahead and grab that bargain, I'm very confident you'll be able to travel".

21 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

Yes we have - loved the itinerary and would thoroughly recommend it. We did not get to Kirkwall on our trip but that is meant to be very good - worth keeping an eye out for that one. We would do a round Britain again, provided there were some different ports of call.

I'm sure you are probably aware of them, but Saga do a couple of 14 day UK/Ireland cruises,  on their new 900 pax ships, including one cruise which visits the West of Ireland, which is pretty unusual. 

1 hour ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

I heard Simon Calder, travel editor of "The Independent" on the radio the other day. While accepting he isn't a doctor I do respect his opinion on travel matters.

he doesn't believe the 14 day quarantine on arrival in the UK will be in place beyond the end of July

A caller said they had seen an advert for a great holiday to Portugal in mid July at a really bargain price. Calder's advice was "go ahead and grab that bargain, I'm very confident you'll be able to travel".

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I'm sure you are probably aware of them, but Saga do a couple of 14 day UK/Ireland cruises,  on their new 900 pax ships, including one cruise which visits the West of Ireland, which is pretty unusual. 

The same man who confirmed to all that it was okay to book Thomas Cook, like he did, and the ignore Press rumours. 1000's booked.......😱

He's also a keen cyclist....  No need to say more😉

1 hour ago, PORT ROYAL said:

The same man who confirmed to all that it was okay to book Thomas Cook, like he did, and the ignore Press rumours. 1000's booked.......😱

He's also a keen cyclist....  No need to say more😉

Not sure why you included my post about Saga when talking about Calder. (And he is an idiot)

This is happening sort of kind of in the US. We have laws that prevent a cruise like the one you are describing from being done by the major cruise companies (I think it's along the lines of the ship has to be flagged in the US and comply with US labor laws if there are no foreign stops). But there are a handful of American based river cruise companies that do US only itineraries. And I believe at least one of them plans on restarting in June. 

On 5/26/2020 at 4:48 PM, Sancho_proudfoot said:

We can only hope he is correct.  otherwise this quarantine will spell the end of the tourism business in the UK.

Numerous travel agencies, airlines, and other businesses have publicly  stated that the mandatory 14 day isolation for EVERYBODY is a huge mistake.

We should have been on a British Isles cruise on Regal Princess on July 28th and we live in the UK what's wrong with that?

I've never been to Scotland and we would have had stops that included visits to places like Stirling Castle, the Kelpies at Falkirk, Kirkwall Orkneys, Invergordon  for Loch Ness and Edinburgh. Again same for Ireland.....never been but again much to see. We have loved our Med cruises and have had some great adventures but just fancied something different. Also as I have 2 elderly parents if there is a health scare getting home would be easy. I have to say both are doing very well during our lockdown but it has been tough on them as they've not seen our boys since early March.

Stay safe and let's see what the new normal brings us.

On 5/25/2020 at 10:17 AM, SteveH2508 said:

I can't imagine doing that as a cruise. We haven't covered everything but we've driven a lot in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland (not Northern). 

6 hours ago, Malleykatt said:

I've never been to Scotland and we would have had stops that included visits to places like Stirling Castle, the Kelpies at Falkirk, Kirkwall Orkneys, Invergordon  for Loch Ness and Edinburgh. Again same for Ireland.....never been but again much to see.

WOW! When things settle down, I'd recommend getting in your car and checking out all the wonderful places and people so close to home.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:59 AM, Rocky of London said:

Hi

Viking Ocean are actively considering starting with UK cruises and are polling past UK based pax to determine the level of interest. Working with Public Health to determine feasibility.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Viking Ocean are actively considering starting with UK cruises and are polling past UK based pax to determine the level of interest. Working with Public Health to determine feasibility.

Now that is very interesting news...

15 hours ago, Malleykatt said:

We should have been on a British Isles cruise on Regal Princess on July 28th and we live in the UK what's wrong with that?

I've never been to Scotland and we would have had stops that included visits to places like Stirling Castle, the Kelpies at Falkirk, Kirkwall Orkneys, Invergordon  for Loch Ness and Edinburgh. Again same for Ireland.....never been but again much to see. We have loved our Med cruises and have had some great adventures but just fancied something different. Also as I have 2 elderly parents if there is a health scare getting home would be easy. I have to say both are doing very well during our lockdown but it has been tough on them as they've not seen our boys since early March.

Stay safe and let's see what the new normal brings us.

One of my all time favorite cruises was the British Isles on Crown Princess (if memory serves).  It is a fantastic itinerary that I would gladly repeat.  We were thinking about a self guided land tour that would be a perfect companion for this cruise.    Like you say, we will have to wait and see what happens.