Would you go on a "socially distance" cruise

On 5/29/2020 at 8:20 AM, Lazz said:

A recent article suggests that large ships can break even at 30% capacity:

"For our newer ships, you need about 30 percent load factors to kind of break even. And then they skew to about 50 percent load factor on onto our older ships."

https://www.*****.com/2020/05/21/royal-caribbeans-newer-ships-break-even-quicker-older-ships

"Breaking Even" is not making a profit. Companies who can only "break even" will definitely go out of business.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Flying-Dragon said:

Actually here in Vancouver they estimate about $2M per cruise ship in economic benefit.  Things like hotels, taxes and employment are included, not just souvenirs.  Here is a complete report done by the Port Authority - https://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/2016-Port-of-Vancouver-Economic-Impact-Study.pdf

If that’s true, Saint Martin would be richer then Saudi Arabia 🇸🇦.

10 hours ago, kevingastreich said:

"Breaking Even" is not making a profit. Companies who can only "break even" will definitely go out of business.

What this says it that you will see larger ships up and running long before the smaller ships begin sailing again.  

In my opinion cruise ships are much cleaner then most of the hotels I have been when thinking of dining, pools and the information to wash hands before entering the food areas.
In most of the Hotels in warm areas you can see people in bathing suite going to the buffet.

I really home the world calms down again and I am sure that masks won’t help to get ill.

We have to use them when we go shopping here in Germany. I really hate it !
And when I look at myself : I have the mask in my handbag, turn it off in front of the supermarket and put it on, use it into the market and turn it off right After leaving the Supermarkt, keep the mask in my hand until I am at my car, there I put it somewhere, before putting my bags in the car and go home. The mask will find a place next to some other mask and I will use it again when going somewhere I have to use it. Maybe my husband also used it or the one next to it and we had it in our hands very often - I am sure millions of people doing it like me and will do it on a cruise ship.

So hoping they won’t even think about this option on cruises !!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 1

Break even can be a misleading term.   It could mean break even from an operational point of view, ie meeting all of the variable costs.  It may or may not mean real break even after covering all the the fixed costs such as finance, depreciation, corporate,e c.

In any event running at break even if a short term play. People do not invest in corporations in order for them to break even.  They invest with in anticipation of a return on their investment.  

Also keep in mind that a clean ship is not a sanitized ship.

Years ago when researching noro I discovered that there is a vast difference between cleaning a surface and sanitizing or disinfecting it.  Taking a cloth and spraying and merely wiping it is rarely disinfecting it, it is simply cleaning it and cleaning it will not necessarily kill viruses.  Almost all disinfecting products have to be applied in the right amounts and allowed to sit for the appropriate time limit in order to disinfect the surface.  So all these retail establishments that I see that are spraying surfaces with a solution and then quickly wiping it with paper towels are cleaning, not disinfecting and are at best providing a false sense of security.  Same with ships.  Watching crew constantly wiping down handrails and surfaces may result in a clean ship, but it may not result in a safe, sanitized ship.

Early in the pandemic a funeral home in NL & Lab was the center of a large outbreak of COVID-19.  It was reported that ii cost $100,000 to safely disinfect the establishment.  The funeral home was significantly smaller than any cruise ship.  I can't imagine the costs to keep a cruise ship disinfected.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KirkNC said:

If that’s true, Saint Martin would be richer then Saudi Arabia 🇸🇦.

It could be true for Vancouver as it is a prime embarkation/debarkation port, not just a port stop.  You've got hotels, restaurant dinners and breakfast, picking up "stuff" for your cruise (water, booze, junk food, etc.).  
St. Martin doesn't even get all of the cruise ship - some go to Sint Maarten.  Cruise people are notorious for not really eating at a port - they load up before they get off the ship and then wait until they get back on the ship.  

• Like 1

On 5/28/2020 at 4:52 PM, prescottbob said:

BTW, how would the 6’ distancing ‘thingy’ work on a tender? Just curious.

Or an elevator, or so many other situations on a cruise ship that don't currently allow for safe physical distancing. Needless to say, the industry has a lot of work to do before they can safely sail again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cbr663 said:

Early in the pandemic a funeral home in NL & Lab was the center of a large outbreak of COVID-19.  It was reported that ii cost $100,000 to safely disinfect the establishment.  The funeral home was significantly smaller than any cruise ship.  I can't imagine the costs to keep a cruise ship disinfected.

Were dead people catching the virus?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Socially distanced maybe.  Masks are a no go.   Masks fog up my glasses and make me dizzy.  I wear them if I absolutely have to because of store rules and courtesy to others, but on vacation...no won't go if there are mask rules. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Or an elevator, or so many other situations on a cruise ship that don't currently allow for safe physical distancing. Needless to say, the industry has a lot of work to do before they can safely sail again.

I recently read an article about the eventual re-opening of office towers; the number of passengers in any elevator car will be strictly limited, and folks may be required to book a time slot to ride the elevator... (you can't make this stuff up...)

• Haha 1

On 5/31/2020 at 4:16 PM, bouhunter said:

Were dead people catching the virus?

No. 

One person, who later test positive for COVI-19, attended 2 different funerals and infected 82 other people.

A funeral home is much like a cruise ship - an enclosed environment where many people come together, some for extended periods of times.

Our next booked cruise is September, 2021. I’m hoping NOT to have to wear a mask by then. Already, as restrictions relax, maybe 1 in 10, at most, wear a mask in a grocery store.

That said, by next September, I’d agree to wear a full burka if needed just to get back on a dam ship again!

11 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

I recently read an article about the eventual re-opening of office towers; the number of passengers in any elevator car will be strictly limited, and folks may be required to book a time slot to ride the elevator... (you can't make this stuff up...)

Make a reservation for the elevator... now that's funny! 😆

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 11:13 AM, daisy-mae said:

You're not far off the rules where I work.  We started bringing people back to the office Monday.  There is a 25 page powerpoint of rules!  Our complex has two 40-story buildings and several about 10-story.  The elevators only can have 4 people in them now.  Instead of starting at the normal 8:00, people were assigned a slot between 7:00-9:00 to help with elevator overcrowding.  There are a ton of other changes-- masks unless you're at your desk, online payment and pickup of prepackaged food in the cafeteria, 25% capacity in rooms, temp checks, no visitors in building, etc.  None of these would make for a fun cruise!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, electricguy said:

We have Antarctica scheduled for January.  If the cruise goes we plan to be on it even if their is social distancing.  This cruise is about the destination not meeting others.

Social distancing has very little to do with meeting others. It involves keeping your distance while circulating around the ship, including at meal times, on deck, in elevators, stairwells and hallways.

Unless you plan to hole up in your stateroom for the duration, you will be following strict guidelines and will be practicing distancing - even if you choose not to acknowledge your fellow passengers.

2 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

Social distancing has very little to do with meeting others. It involves keeping your distance while circulating around the ship, including at meal times, on deck, in elevators, stairwells and hallways.

Which is exactly why the term 'physical distancing' is more accurate in the context of COVID-19.

• Like 3

On 6/1/2020 at 6:44 PM, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Our next booked cruise is September, 2021. I’m hoping NOT to have to wear a mask by then. Already, as restrictions relax, maybe 1 in 10, at most, wear a mask in a grocery store.

That said, by next September, I’d agree to wear a full burka if needed just to get back on a dam ship again!

I would change "full burka" to "hazmat suit' 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1