Protocols for Opening Up Cruising - Physicians' Perspective

harkinmr

Really interesting Miami Herald article with physician recommendations on what protocols need to be in place in order for cruise ships to SAFELY sail.  

There's also an interesting quote from a CDC spokesperson below.  This makes clear to me that cruising is likely a long ways off.   And yes, I know that some will not share my assessment.  I just think the article is an educational one and provides a realistic picture where we are as of today.

A spokesperson for the CDC said the agency has not consulted with any cruise lines yet about resuming operations.

“We don’t have enough information at this time to say when it will be safe for passenger travel to resume,” said spokesperson Scott Pauley in an email Wednesday. “Our current focus is helping crew members safely return home to their families and ensuring cruise lines are providing a safe environment for crew members to work and to disembark. We will continue to evaluate and update our recommendations as the situation evolves.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242945396.html#storylink=cpy

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Radiioman46 said:

If they don't have enough information now, then maybe they're in the wrong business. LOL!

Yep, there is nothing more important right now than for the people at CDC to place their focus on the cruise industry. 😲

• Like 5

The articles has some valid points but also consider the following.  If you are cruising, you might be using an airline to get to the port.  They should be grounded also.  You might stay for a day or two at at hotel or motel because of timing.   Would not need those any more.  You would probably go to a restaurant for a supper and breakfast.  They need to be closed.  Might also take an Uber or bus to get to the ship.  Another danger.  Then if you had to stay home, you might want to demonstrate because of the cruise closures and you know how the 6 foot rule is observed.  

You sure you want to stop all cruising?  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Group the Cruise Industry is a mega business. The individual Cruise Lines are in place to become more profitable. Whatever it takes (increased medical staffing, requiring mask, supporting vaccines, monitoring ports of call or limiting access to certain venues) these Board Member and Stock Owned conglomerates will sail again!!!   

In their eyes less than 10% of the total US population has stepped foot on a ship. That spells "Generational Growth" for these companies.   

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, richfret said:

The articles has some valid points but also consider the following.  If you are cruising, you might be using an airline to get to the port.  They should be grounded also.  You might stay for a day or two at at hotel or motel because of timing.   Would not need those any more.  You would probably go to a restaurant for a supper and breakfast.  They need to be closed.  Might also take an Uber or bus to get to the ship.  Another danger.  Then if you had to stay home, you might want to demonstrate because of the cruise closures and you know how the 6 foot rule is observed.  

You sure you want to stop all cruising?  

Never said that!  The article is informative and certainly does not say that cruising should never open, just suggests ways to do that safely.  That's why I posted it.  BTW, cruise lines, including Carnival, are consulting with some of these physicians about their protocol plans.   NOT going to argue with you about any of this other stuff.

1 hour ago, Radiioman46 said:

If they don't have enough information now, then maybe they're in the wrong business. LOL!

How about an accurate quote? “We don’t have enough information at this time to say when it will be safe for passenger travel to resume,” 

I think only the foolish and those with particular agendas would expect anyone to know when regular passenger travel will be safe for the general population.

Edited by broberts
  • Like 2

I wouldn't mind lower passenger count on the ships. We cruise to relax, eat and drink, all the other amenities are bonuses.

I just hope things get going on the time line Carnival is shooting for. I told my wife the other day I was ready to sneak on board one of the cruise ships when they dock in San Diego for supplies.

• Like 1

I saw on the CDC website that the Diamond Princess that had the coronavirus outbreak had an infection rate of 1.6% , with the current  US infection rate at .3%. Those are very low infection rates to stop or shut down an entire industry, or even a County for that matter.

• Like 7

The quoted Miami Herald article (may 31) says CDC has had no contact with cruise lines but the NCL article linked by sunonfire which I think just came out today has this statement

NCL has been working closely with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to add new protocols to the cruise vacation experience due to the global health crisis and to help keep everyone safe moving forward.

Don't want to give an opinion but just pointing out the differences in reports that are being put out   Just waiting for August 1st to see what happens 

1 hour ago, roguebandit said:

I saw on the CDC website that the Diamond Princess that had the coronavirus outbreak had an infection rate of 1.6% , with the current  US infection rate at .3%. Those are very low infection rates to stop or shut down an entire industry, or even a County for that matter.

Pretty sure the percentage of deaths is lower, too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Really interesting Miami Herald article with physician recommendations on what protocols need to be in place in order for cruise ships to SAFELY sail.  

There's also an interesting quote from a CDC spokesperson below.  This makes clear to me that cruising is likely a long ways off.   And yes, I know that some will not share my assessment.  I just think the article is an educational one and provides a realistic picture where we are as of today.

A spokesperson for the CDC said the agency has not consulted with any cruise lines yet about resuming operations.

“We don’t have enough information at this time to say when it will be safe for passenger travel to resume,” said spokesperson Scott Pauley in an email Wednesday. “Our current focus is helping crew members safely return home to their families and ensuring cruise lines are providing a safe environment for crew members to work and to disembark. We will continue to evaluate and update our recommendations as the situation evolves.”

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article242945396.html#storylink=cpy

They say their current focus is on helping crew members return safely home to their families????

Read this to see how their arbitrary and ever changing rules are doing the exact opposite.

https://fortune.com/2020/05/31/i-literally-was-locked-up-abroad-the-diary-of-a-cruise-director-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic/

19 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

They say their current focus is on helping crew members return safely home to their families????

Read this to see how their arbitrary and ever changing rules are doing the exact opposite.

https://fortune.com/2020/05/31/i-literally-was-locked-up-abroad-the-diary-of-a-cruise-director-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic/

Ok.  Relax.  Not commenting on the veracity of their statements or their motives...just publishing what they said...

3 hours ago, roguebandit said:

That is one school of thought. However Sweden,  which did not lock down, had a 10X higher infection rate than Norway, which did lock down.  100, 000 + deaths is no joke if someone you know died.  According to your stats,  the infection rate on ships is 500% higher, a very good reason to shut it down. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, harkinmr said:

Ok.  Relax.  Not commenting on the veracity of their statements or their motives...just publishing what they said...

I did not mean to in any way be argumentative with you or demean you. I was commenting on the CDC and what they said versus what their actions caused.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

I did not mean to in any way be argumentative with you or demean you. I was commenting on the CDC and what they said versus what their actions caused.

Thank you.  My bad.  Apologies.

11 hours ago, joeyancho said:

That is one school of thought. However Sweden,  which did not lock down, had a 10X higher infection rate than Norway, which did lock down.  100, 000 + deaths is no joke if someone you know died.  According to your stats,  the infection rate on ships is 500% higher, a very good reason to shut it down. 

Way to many additional factors to get to that point.  How long were the cruisers and staff imprisoned on the ship before being let off.  If you look at what happened in nursing homes when it was added there, these rates pale in comparison.  The point is that every situation is different due to many variables.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Totally right on, help needs to be added to their dictionary as opposed to dictate.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TxShipShape said:

The quoted Miami Herald article (may 31) says CDC has had no contact with cruise lines but the NCL article linked by sunonfire which I think just came out today has this statement

NCL has been working closely with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) to add new protocols to the cruise vacation experience due to the global health crisis and to help keep everyone safe moving forward.

Don't want to give an opinion but just pointing out the differences in reports that are being put out   Just waiting for August 1st to see what happens 

Like you mentioned there is conflicting information out there. It wouldn’t look good for cruises to resume in August IF the CDC hasn’t had contact with any cruise lines. 

Cruising can't start up again until they have an easy (spit, not nose swab), rapid, reliable test that is plentifully available, and can test every person before they get onboard, and every three or so days while they are onboard.  This is the only way to catch asymptomatic carriers.  The other option is social distancing and masks for everyone outside their stateroom, which most people will not opt for.  Taking temperatures is somewhat useless when 35% of carriers are asymptomatic.

Edited by wolfie11
  • Like 1

Just now, PhillyFan33579 said:

Like you mentioned there is conflicting information out there. It wouldn’t look good for cruises to resume in August IF the CDC hasn’t had contact with any cruise lines. 

Maybe that is by design......  I thought it had left off that THEY had to submit plans, but who knows anymore.  It has become a real cluster.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wolfie11 said:

Cruising can't start up again until they have an easy (spit, not nose swab), rapid, reliable test that is plentifully available, and can test every person before they get onboard, and every three or so days while they are onboard.  This is the only way to catch asymptomatic carriers.  The other option is social distancing and masks for everyone outside their stateroom, which most people will not opt for.  Taking temperatures is somewhat useless when 35% of carriers are asymptomatic.

I believe that is YOUR opinion, not fact.  If I am wrong, please point me to the documentation that states that.

• Like 2