VACCINE NEWS-Keep your fingers crossed...

boscobeans

Just now, Lastdance said:

Yes, but Celebrity has to abide by those rules too, or I guess you cannot get off the ship.  Anyway, you know what I mean, as it is all about rules and regs!

Actually, Celebrity should not let any passenger on the ship if they haven't had that test.  It is easily passed from one person to the next.  So all passengers will need to be tested or no one gets off.

49 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Well some of you would have met my DD when she was activities manager on the Edge, Reflection and Millennium.

And what will she choose to do if vaccinations become a crew requirement? 

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I will also get the vaccine as soon as it is offered to essential workers.   I am so sorry for the children whose parents do not allow the, to get vaccines.    More sorry for the children and adults that have to come in contact with them.   Some children can’t get vaccines because they are fighting cancer.   The last thing they need is to catch a disease from the kids who could have had a vaccine.

Agree 100%.  That's the biggest problem with anti-vaccine people.  You want to get sick, fine, go get yourself sick.  But unfortunately there are always people who cannot get vaccines for various reasons (newborns, people with certain health conditions).  You are literally putting their lives in danger by refusing to be vaccinated.  I will never understand that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

Actually, Celebrity should not let any passenger on the ship if they haven't had that test.  It is easily passed from one person to the next.  So all passengers will need to be tested or no one gets off.

I agree, but they still make the rules and at the moment we do not know exactly what that will entail, even though many of us have a good idea.  Also, a port(s)could be closed and an extra sea day added, so that could be a consideration. Once we know what we need to do, some may choose to cancel and some will be happy to abide by the rules in order to cruise.   Hopefully, the first cruise passengers will  follow good hygiene and cruising will be back, just a little differently than it use to be before Covid; however, it remains to be seen what will actually happen...no crystal ball here!  Just sharing my thoughts, as that's all I really have at this time.  I just want to make my next three cruises for 2021!

Edited by Lastdance

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Well some of you would have met my DD when she was activities manager on the Edge, Reflection and Millennium.

Then she had to be vaccinated to work on a ship as you need a copy of your vaccination record when you apply.  Vaccines MUST be up to date.

LINK

Edited by K.T.B.

9 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

Then she had to be vaccinated to work on a ship as you need a copy of your vaccination record when you apply.  Vaccines MUST be up to date.

LINK

All crew applying for a ship contract must have a strenuous medical check before being accepted. These medicals can only be performed by Doctors authorised to conduct these tests by the cruise line. The crew also have to fund the cost of the medicals themselves. Her lack of vaccinations is well documented. 

I respectfully suggest you don't know what you are talking about. 

11 hours ago, K.T.B. said:

Unfortunately testing alone isn't going to be sufficient, unless you are going to insist that only those who can be proven to have already had CV-19 can cruise...

Otherwise you can't let people off in the next port where there is the potential for them to get infected...

2 hours ago, Esprit said:

Her lack of vaccinations is well documented. 

Sorry, I don’t quite understand this comment. Are you saying that there is no requirement for crew to have vaccinations period? Or are you saying that there is a requirement and your daughter is exempted?

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

unless you are going to insist that only those who can be proven to have already had CV-19 can cruise...

I can’t see this being an option either. Everything that I’ve read to date indicates that no one currently knows if already having had the infection prevents you catching it again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zanderblue said:

Sorry, I don’t quite understand this comment. Are you saying that there is no requirement for crew to have vaccinations period? Or are you saying that there is a requirement and your daughter is exempted?

Hi Zanderblue

I'll try to clarify. The medical test requirements include a vaccination history. She was never exempted. If the Cruise Line required her to have had certain vaccinations then she would never have had all the contracts she's had since 2010. Even in 2014 when she flew around the world as cabin crew with Etihad Airways for two years the lack of vaccinations did not preclude her from being employed. She then returned to Celebrity in 2016 and was re examined, tested and passed for becoming a crew member again by the Cruise Line recognised doctor. Just the plain simple facts. No short cuts or allowances.

Sorry, if people find this objectionable. Perhaps they should take it up with the Celebrity if it is so upsetting?  

24 minutes ago, zanderblue said:

I can’t see this being an option either. Everything that I’ve read to date indicates that no one currently knows if already having had the infection prevents you catching it again.

It all becomes a somewhat slippery slope from here on though.

If having had it doesn't protect you (Not actually seen any persuasive evidence on that, just one small study so far) then neither will the vaccinations either.

... but in the end we don't necessarily need full 'protection' we just need to reduce the severity and infection rate to acceptable levels, so hopefully both a vaccine or prior infection will help achieve that...

17 hours ago, Esprit said:

Yes. Both our kids didn’t get the polio vaccine.

The fact is that polio has been all but eradicated from the world.  And Smallpox too.  By vaccines.  Maybe we should give a COVID vaccine a chance??

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Hi Zanderblue

I'll try to clarify. The medical test requirements include a vaccination history. She was never exempted. If the Cruise Line required her to have had certain vaccinations then she would never have had all the contracts she's had since 2010. Even in 2014 when she flew around the world as cabin crew with Etihad Airways for two years the lack of vaccinations did not preclude her from being employed. She then returned to Celebrity in 2016 and was re examined, tested and passed for becoming a crew member again by the Cruise Line recognised doctor. Just the plain simple facts. No short cuts or allowances.

Sorry, if people find this objectionable. Perhaps they should take it up with the Celebrity if it is so upsetting?  

I would suggest that she is spoofing you to please your anti-vaccination beliefs.  No airline, cruise line or business dealing with the public would place their customers at such risk to have a potential polio (or whatever) carrier employee.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Agree 100%.  That's the biggest problem with anti-vaccine people.  You want to get sick, fine, go get yourself sick.  But unfortunately there are always people who cannot get vaccines for various reasons (newborns, people with certain health conditions).  You are literally putting their lives in danger by refusing to be vaccinated.  I will never understand that.

I personally believe in vaccines, but I know physicians that say when vaccinating your young children that the vaccines should not all be given at the same time, but spaced out.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Esprit said:

Yes. Both our kids didn’t get the polio vaccine.

I hope their health continues.

Where is polio found today?
Sadly type 1 Polio still remains at large — in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Once the virus that causes polio has infected a person, there is no treatment that will cure polio. Early diagnosis and supportive treatments such as bed rest, pain control, good nutrition, and physical therapy to prevent deformities from occurring over time can help reduce the long-term symptoms due to muscle loss.

I grew up in the days of the Iron Lung and the TV Telethons to raise money for Polio research. Too bad I got the First experimental large scale tests of the vaccine and my older sisters didn't. They contracted polio.

Later on in Life I served part of an internship at a hospital that still had a basement area full of old un-needed Iron Lungs.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, 4774Papa said:

I personally believe in vaccines, but I know physicians that say when vaccinating your young children that the vaccines should not all be given at the same time, but spaced out.

Yes there is a recommended vaccination schedule in the US and most countries just for that reason.  Some childhood vaccines have been combined into a single formulation to limit the overall number of shots required.    A good source of information is the website from the American Academy of Pediatrics.  

3 hours ago, Esprit said:

Hi Zanderblue

You still haven't answered my earlier question: if a COVID-19 vaccination became compulsory for crew and passengers alike, what do you think that your daughter would do?

Now the WHO is saying that transmission of the disease by asymptomatic people is VERY rare.  More and more, time to get busy living.  They have already said it is not easily transmitted from surfaces...

Honestly, I have found the cure is much worse than the disease.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

I hope their health continues.

Where is polio found today?
Sadly type 1 Polio still remains at large — in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Once the virus that causes polio has infected a person, there is no treatment that will cure polio. Early diagnosis and supportive treatments such as bed rest, pain control, good nutrition, and physical therapy to prevent deformities from occurring over time can help reduce the long-term symptoms due to muscle loss.

I grew up in the days of the Iron Lung and the TV Telethons to raise money for Polio research. Too bad I got the First experimental large scale tests of the vaccine and my older sisters didn't. They contracted polio.

Later on in Life I served part of an internship at a hospital that still had a basement area full of old un-needed Iron Lungs.

My mother had polio and as a result had her leg amputated. People forget or overlook what these diseases can lead to, such as above or encephalitis with measles etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

I would suggest that she is spoofing you to please your anti-vaccination beliefs.  No airline, cruise line or business dealing with the public would place their customers at such risk to have a potential polio (or whatever) carrier employee.

Exactly.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

You still haven't answered my earlier question: if a COVID-19 vaccination became compulsory for crew and passengers alike, what do you think that your daughter would do?

Sorry Fouremco

I'm certain she would take the Covid vaccine, as indeed I would if it was made compulsory. The same would apply when I ski without a helmet. Until it's made compulsory I choose not to wear one (unless attempting tricks and jumps in a ski/snowboard park).

1 minute ago, Esprit said:

Sorry Fouremco

I'm certain she would take the Covid vaccine, as indeed I would if it was made compulsory. The same would apply when I ski without a helmet. Until it's made compulsory I choose not to wear one (unless attempting tricks and jumps in a ski/snowboard park).

Thank you. I must say that your reply is somewhat surprising, as your objection to vaccines doesn't seem to be as deeply rooted as some of your earlier posts might suggest. I would have expected you to say that if a vaccination became compulsory, you would simply give up cruising. 

49 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Thank you. I must say that your reply is somewhat surprising, as your objection to vaccines doesn't seem to be as deeply rooted as some of your earlier posts might suggest. I would have expected you to say that if a vaccination became compulsory, you would simply give up cruising. 

You're welcome Fouremco.

I did say I was firmly against them but if there was a statutory requirement I would abide by it. Had it not been for my love of cruising since I was a young boy my DD would perhaps not have had the time of her life working for Celebrity. She even got to stand in as Cruise Director for a few days. That made me happy and I can't wait to get back on a ship with her on board too one day!

• Like 1