Standup/comedy routines from passengers.

Mike981

I can hear amateur musicians and comedians in the subway or a public park.  I'd rather be insulated from them on a vacation and don't attend audience participation shows like karaoke, marriage game, hairy chest contests, improv, etc.

If others enjoy them, fine, good for them, just don't include me among them.  I can find other diversions.

I was on a cruise one time when a passenger stood on stage before the comedy shows and performed magic acts.

The only time I would rather be somewhere else is when people who are horrible singers choose to dominate karaoke with song after song.  I like watching karaoke, but not the same horrible singers the entire time.  More power to someone who can't sing for being able to get on stage and have some fun.  But continuing to torture the audience for the entire time is a bit much.  LOL

13 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

The only time I would rather be somewhere else is when people who are horrible singers choose to dominate karaoke with song after song.  I like watching karaoke, but not the same horrible singers the entire time.  More power to someone who can't sing for being able to get on stage and have some fun.  But continuing to torture the audience for the entire time is a bit much.  LOL

Usually that is a sign of a bad KJ, karaoke jockey. They need to control the party, not the patrons. Our last experience was so bad that we have not gone back for years, and we like to sing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Usually that is a sign of a bad KJ, karaoke jockey. They need to control the party, not the patrons. Our last experience was so bad that we have not gone back for years, and we like to sing.

On one of my cruises, even though the majority of singers were terrible, the karaoke jockey was hilarious.  He would put on costumes and was SO entertaining.   It was on Carnival's Pride and I wish I could remember his name.  That was the best karaoke experience ever.  I really don't mind terrible singers.  I just mind when they dominate the entire show.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 11:47 PM, ldubs said:

I recall seeing passenger talent shows, but never a comedy routine.  Most were singers.  There was one hula dancer.   

Kind of off topic but I used to really enjoy the crew talent shows.  There are some incredibly talented folks on the ships.   Very nice to watch, except for the cruise director staff silliness.

I have seen and participated in passenger and crew talented shows.  Like you've said, there's a lot of talent onboard and it's no worse than karaoke night.  I had a senior officer on the Golden Princess come up to me and say "you look familiar, where and what were you doing thirty years ago ?"  I sat in with the High Seas band on the crew talent show night. I'm not as good as I once was, I'm as good once as I ever was. 

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, c-boy said:

I have seen and participated in passenger and crew talented shows.  Like you've said, there's a lot of talent onboard and it's no worse than karaoke night. 

It's been a long time since I've seen a passenger talent show but I recall it being pretty good.  I remember a cruise on Radiance of the Seas back in 2009 that did this and the winner was a guy who sang Hallelujah.  He had the crowd speechless.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2020 at 9:04 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I've participated in guest "choirs" onboard a couple of cruises; this was a British line and I had the feeling it was a regular thing. I enjoy singing so for me the fun was in the rehearsals and not so much the concert at the end, except that it capped the experience. I suspect it was more enjoyable being part of the performance than watching it. 

Celebrity has the guest choirs.  Kind of cool to watch the rehearsals in the atrium area before the big event.  

On 6/14/2020 at 10:09 AM, TNcruising02 said:

I was on a cruise one time when a passenger stood on stage before the comedy shows and performed magic acts.

Haha, I cannot sing a lick and would not get on a karaoke stage if you held a gun to my head.   On the other hand when Mrs Ldubs sings people will stop and listen.  I guess opposites attract.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Haha, I cannot sing a lick and would not get on a karaoke stage if you held a gun to my head.   On the other hand when Mrs Ldubs sings people will stop and listen.  I guess opposites attract.   

Mrs.66 has a nice voice but would never sing in public.

On 6/13/2020 at 5:04 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I've participated in guest "choirs" onboard a couple of cruises; this was a British line and I had the feeling it was a regular thing. I enjoy singing so for me the fun was in the rehearsals and not so much the concert at the end, except that it capped the experience. I suspect it was more enjoyable being part of the performance than watching it. 

We've taken part in the choir on several ships, all out of the UK, but only when the cruise is at least two weeks long.

We've also been on a cruise with the group called The Really Big Chorus. They book large halls, such as the Royal Albert Hall in London, where you turn up on the day for a rehearsal of something like Handel's  "Messiah", which is then sung by hundreds that evening... many of my home choir have taken part in these as they usually know the chosen pieces. One member sang Vivaldi in Venice with them, having learnt the piece at home.

The cruise organised by them was round the Greek Isles, and rehearsals took place during much of the sea time... we all bought the music before we left, and rehearsed at home. About 130 singers, with various partners along, and a concert on the last day. 

I believe last year's choral cruise was a river one.

• Like 2

On HAL, the Indonesian and Filipino Crew shows are enjoyable.  Many talented crew members participate and I enjoy the shows.  A problem?  The program is too predictable.  It does not keep me from attending, but there must be some other "dances" than the Monkey Dance in their culture.

The International Choir that performs during the Christmas Eve program on HAL ships is truly an outstanding event.  The Master of the ship participates as well as his senior Officers.  It has been a highlight of every Christmas cruise on which I have sailed.  

• Like 1

Hal used to have star search on board , my favorite show was some 40 years ago hockey hall of fame player Phil Esposito was on board and his wife hit him in the face with a pie , really nice guy talked to everyone. He was still playing for the Rangers at the time.

17 hours ago, Aquahound said:

It's been a long time since I've seen a passenger talent show but I recall it being pretty good.  I remember a cruise on Radiance of the Seas back in 2009 that did this and the winner was a guy who sang Hallelujah.  He had the crowd speechless.  

There is probably a lot of talent onboard but the trick is to find it. If you have an open call show where anyone who wanted to participate could then it would probably be less enjoyable than a show that required people to audition for beforehand (I hope that sentence makes sense, I've only had one cup of coffee).