Pullmantur's Ships Will Be Returned To Royal Caribbean

9 hours ago, MADflyer said:

Early research is showing that the greatest interest being shown now is actually for small ship sailings. 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23235-demand-strong-for-small-ships-according-to-agent-survey.html

That is a very misleading statement 

And FWIW, small for this article is 250 pax or less. Empress would be a leviathan in comparison 

Edited by CSHS1979
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

Yes, but why drive 4+ hours to NJ when the Baltimore port is a short Uber Drive.

So true....plus the Baltimore crowd (including all the others who patronize the Grandeur) are a very loyal set of passengers.  I would wager that the Grandeur sails close to full every cruise. But, what will be, will be.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JHU said:

...Baltimore crowd... very loyal set of passengers.  

I do not see RCG with RCI  leaving Baltimore or Tampa in the short or long term. I would even expect them to maintain a presence at this point in New Orleans. 

These ports are also great feeder markets for passengers moving up to Celebrity, Azamara, Hapag Lloyd  or Silversea and for positioning in general. This recovery is going to take 8 to 10 years. 

17 minutes ago, pirate4me2 said:

It now says Sovereign is “not under command” and “waiting for order.” Monarch is still at anchor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, not under command would probably not be quite correct.  That indicates that the ship has broken down, and is unable to maneuver, which given the need to drive her up on the shore is likely not the case.  They may be deballasting, or they may be lightering fuel to a tanker prior to beaching.  They've passed the lunar high tide this month, but there may be some storm brewing in the area that could provide seas high enough to drive her further on the beach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Chengkp75 for my information may I ask what staff would be on these ships now? Is it from the shipyard or from cruiseline? How  many people would be onboard? Also do they stay onboard until the ship is beached or do they come and go? 

I appreciate your insight regarding the beaching and recycling (scrapping) of ships. 

Horizon and X Constellation are having a rendezvous - perhaps to remove some more crew, though for the past two ships this was done near Aliaga, while this encounter is 200+ miles SW of there.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, woodscruise said:

Chengkp75 for my information may I ask what staff would be on these ships now? Is it from the shipyard or from cruiseline? How  many people would be onboard? Also do they stay onboard until the ship is beached or do they come and go? 

I appreciate your insight regarding the beaching and recycling (scrapping) of ships. 

It will be a mix of ship's crew and breaker's crew.  Most likely there would be 10-12 of the ship's deck officers, engine officers, and engine crew, and some breaker's yard crew to handle any "lookout" duties (giving distances to the other ships on the beach), probably no more than 20 people tops.  The locals will come and go, the ship's crew will remain onboard, shifting for themselves for meals and such.  Typically, the ship's crew won't maintain a 24 hour watch like they normally do, the breaker's yard will have night watchmen to ensure the ship is not dragging anchor, and the ship's crew is just there to get propulsion up for moving and grounding, and to "pull the plug" when grounded and there is no sea water for cooling the engines.  Gets real quiet when the last engine stops.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

Recently found a company in Ohio that specializes in purchasing items from the scrap yards. Waiting to hear back if they will have any Monarch stuff secured. Website ssys it takes around 9 months to see new stuff listed

https://bigshipsalvage.com/

Edited by CSHS1979
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Plum Happy said:

What does Royal do with the artwork on their ships?  Do they remove it or let it go as well?

They off loaded a lot of stuff when they were in their last port. Not sure if Royal kept some stuff prior to the Pullmantour transfer years ago

1 hour ago, Plum Happy said:

What does Royal do with the artwork on their ships?  Do they remove it or let it go as well?

The art would most certainly have been removed and is of great value. 

Royal Caribbean has one of the largest private art collections in the world. While the art could be re-purposed, it would more likely to some degree go to the international art auction market. 

Royal Caribbean has a very close relationship with International Corporate Art that goes back to their original Norwegian origins. Over 20% of the art on Royal Caribbean ships is Norwegian and Royal has a major art foundation established in Norway. 

https://www.icart.net/

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MADflyer said:

The art would most certainly have been removed and is of great value. 

Royal Caribbean has one of the largest private art collections in the world. While the art could be re-purposed, it would more likely to some degree go to the international art auction market. 

Royal Caribbean has a very close relationship with International Corporate Art that goes back to their original Norwegian origins. Over 20% of the art on Royal Caribbean ships is Norwegian and Royal has a major art foundation established in Norway. 

https://www.icart.net/

Some of the art will probably end up on theIr new builds. Celebrity did this with the Solstice class with the art from the Equinox (Galaxy) and Silhouette (Mercury).

Edited by ch09
  • Like 1