Cruise is cancelled but still asking for payment?

jenn2213

Hello....I am currently on hold with Carnival for over 30 minutes.  Thought I might get a faster answer here, lol!

We were booked on an August 2 cruise out of New Orleans on the Glory.  That cruise was cancelled on May 4.  Today I received an email stating that my final payment is overdue (the original due date was yesterday).   When I check my cruise manager, it says that my cruise is happening in 30 days and that I need to make final payment.   Is this normal?  Have others experienced this?

I think I am tired of everyone saying don't worry about it.  I think if Carnival cancelled a cruise almost 2 months ago there is no excuse for asking for final payment now.  These emails are just causing too much confusion and it can't be that hard to correct it.  By not correcting it they are just causing more phone calls and more delays.  They should take the time to make sure the emails do not go out for cruises Carnival has cancelled.  They would save a lot of time and frustration.  They definitely are not creating good will with many customers. 

Go ahead and attack.  I know there are many on here that think Carnival can do no wrong.  Well my husband retired in January and we had a full year of travel planned.  The only place where there is any trouble with refunds is the cruise industry.  Our trip to Glacier was cancelled due to the Blackfeet Indians closing down their reservation which blocks access to Glacier National Park.  All reservations on the East Side were cancelled for the rest of the season.  People are getting their refunds in a matter of days.  Mine took 5 days.  Maybe they don't have the number of reservations as Carnival but they also don't have the same amount of staff as Carnival. They have a short season there to earn their money so a year without income cannot be easy but they are making the refunds. 

Our trip to Disney World was cancelled which also included going to Key West which was closed.  And we got our refund in 3 days from all companies.  I have rescheduled all these trips for next year due to the good response from them.  Have not rescheduled our April Carnival cruise that was cancelled due to their handling of the situation.  I have cancelled my Legend and Radiance cruises also.  I am taking a wait and see stance with Carnival.  There will most likely be someone else to take our place, but at least we will be having a more relaxed less stressful vacation somewhere else than on a Carnival cruise that may or may not happen.  I have had many great cruises with Carnival and would like to have more but I will not be doing it anytime soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, luv2trvlnow said:

I think I am tired of everyone saying don't worry about it.  I think if Carnival cancelled a cruise almost 2 months ago there is no excuse for asking for final payment now.  These emails are just causing too much confusion and it can't be that hard to correct it. 

Delete is your friend. Unnecessary stress is not. 

• Like 3

I had signed up for text messages for our August 2020 cruise on Carnival Radiance. Not only was the cruise cancelled, there's speculation on this board that Carnival Radiance itself may be cancelled. Three text messages arrived after the cruise was cancelled to tell me to make final payment or risk having our booking cancelled. I just chalked it up to automated programming that hadn't been un-programmed - but the text messages did make me sad.😥

3 minutes ago, Don Kehote said:

Surely you realize that if it were easy to do, it would have been done?  

Ha!  Several months and it is still the same.  Keep making excuses for them. If they can't handle this, what else can't they handle.  I won't put my trust in a company that hasn't earned it.

• Haha 1

I suspect they know how to fix it but don't want to spend the money on web issues.

Glad you got out of future cruises and cancelled instead of going the FCC and OBC route.

When the cruise lines get around to bankruptcy-and it is coming- the threads are going to be legendary.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, luv2trvlnow said:

I think I am tired of everyone saying don't worry about it.  I think if Carnival cancelled a cruise almost 2 months ago there is no excuse for asking for final payment now.  These emails are just causing too much confusion and it can't be that hard to correct it.  By not correcting it they are just causing more phone calls and more delays.  They should take the time to make sure the emails do not go out for cruises Carnival has cancelled.  They would save a lot of time and frustration.  They definitely are not creating good will with many customers. 

Go ahead and attack.  I know there are many on here that think Carnival can do no wrong.  Well my husband retired in January and we had a full year of travel planned.  The only place where there is any trouble with refunds is the cruise industry.  Our trip to Glacier was cancelled due to the Blackfeet Indians closing down their reservation which blocks access to Glacier National Park.  All reservations on the East Side were cancelled for the rest of the season.  People are getting their refunds in a matter of days.  Mine took 5 days.  Maybe they don't have the number of reservations as Carnival but they also don't have the same amount of staff as Carnival. They have a short season there to earn their money so a year without income cannot be easy but they are making the refunds. 

Our trip to Disney World was cancelled which also included going to Key West which was closed.  And we got our refund in 3 days from all companies.  I have rescheduled all these trips for next year due to the good response from them.  Have not rescheduled our April Carnival cruise that was cancelled due to their handling of the situation.  I have cancelled my Legend and Radiance cruises also.  I am taking a wait and see stance with Carnival.  There will most likely be someone else to take our place, but at least we will be having a more relaxed less stressful vacation somewhere else than on a Carnival cruise that may or may not happen.  I have had many great cruises with Carnival and would like to have more but I will not be doing it anytime soon.

By not correcting it they are hoping people will continue to send in more ,interest free loans, I mean money.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

OP here.....so evidently I misunderstood the letter informing us that our cruise was cancelled.  I thought we had until December 31 to decide if we wanted a refund or FCC/OBC and didn't have to do anything until 12/31  In reality,, you have to actually CANCEL the cancelled cruise yourself, and then choose whether you want the refund or the FCC.  If you don't cancel by your balance due date, it gets cancelled for you and you automatically get FCC, but not OBC.   I was on hold for about an hour before speaking to a lovely woman who was extremely helpful.  She explained this to me, helped me cancel my cancelled cruise and set it up for the FCC/OBC.   She also gave me a heads up that I would receive an email stating that I forfeit my deposit by cancelling, but to ignore it because it is automatically generated and I will not lost my deposit.  She also explained that when I book a new cruise, I will have to pay the deposit on that cruise BEFORE the FCC is applied.

Take away:   You have to CANCEL your cancelled cruise by your final payment date to get the refund or OBC

• Like 1

It's an auto email. I have had them confirm in writing before.  I have since redeemed my FCC on sailing that I got those emails on so I can confirm that they will not cancel for non-payment.

15 hours ago, jenn2213 said:

OP here.....so evidently I misunderstood the letter informing us that our cruise was cancelled.  I thought we had until December 31 to decide if we wanted a refund or FCC/OBC and didn't have to do anything until 12/31  In reality,, you have to actually CANCEL the cancelled cruise yourself, and then choose whether you want the refund or the FCC.  If you don't cancel by your balance due date, it gets cancelled for you and you automatically get FCC, but not OBC.   I was on hold for about an hour before speaking to a lovely woman who was extremely helpful.  She explained this to me, helped me cancel my cancelled cruise and set it up for the FCC/OBC.   She also gave me a heads up that I would receive an email stating that I forfeit my deposit by cancelling, but to ignore it because it is automatically generated and I will not lost my deposit.  She also explained that when I book a new cruise, I will have to pay the deposit on that cruise BEFORE the FCC is applied.

Take away:   You have to CANCEL your cancelled cruise by your final payment date to get the refund or OBC

That's odd. I didn't cancel my cruise by final payment or even before sailing date.  I applied FCC yesterday and still got my OBC.  In fact, the cruise I cancelled had been purchased with a FCC from the cancelled Mardis Gras sailing and they gave me both the Covid cancelation OBC and the Mardis Gras Cancellation OBC.  

But if they told you that, obviously the safe thing to do is to call and cancel. 

When our first Carnival cruise was cancelled it still showed up in our account. I called Carnival and the agent said she had to cancel it for me, it wouldn't be automatically cancelled from my account. She did that and moved the deposit and added OBC to our Sept. cruise. She immediately sent me an email with the new booking showing the new OBC and deposit subracted from the cruise. I went to my account and the "cancelled" cruise was indeed cancelled. That is all well and good, but the Sept. cruise she put the OBC on has now been cancelled and that cruise still shows on my account. I have been waiting awhile before calling to avoid a long hold time and will do the same thing and have Option 1 OBC put on our March 2021 cruise. 

On 7/3/2020 at 12:03 PM, HaveWeMetYet said:

When the cruise lines get around to bankruptcy-and it is coming- the threads are going to be legendary.

And if they don't, the joke will be on you.

• Like 1

If you just fill out the form and select full refund or FCC it will go into a queue for an agent to eventually get to and then they will cancel the booking and process the applicable refund. That is why they still show booked and also why it can take 90 days for a refund. I called and had the agent go ahead and cancel the booking on my canceled cruise and process the refund while I was on the phone. I got my money back on my debit card in 1 week.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:22 AM, jenn2213 said:

Hello....I am currently on hold with Carnival for over 30 minutes.  Thought I might get a faster answer here, lol!

We were booked on an August 2 cruise out of New Orleans on the Glory.  That cruise was cancelled on May 4.  Today I received an email stating that my final payment is overdue (the original due date was yesterday).   When I check my cruise manager, it says that my cruise is happening in 30 days and that I need to make final payment.   Is this normal?  Have others experienced this?

Hi

I have always suggested before that I found that if you get yourself a PVP with Carnival, you always can call someone that can help you out. 

My guy is still calling, asking if he can help me find a cruise or anything else. He knows very well I am not going anywhere. I think he just wants to keep busy. Just call and ask to be assigned to someone.

10 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I have always suggested before that I found that if you get yourself a PVP with Carnival, you always can call someone that can help you out. 

My guy is still calling, asking if he can help me find a cruise or anything else. He knows very well I am not going anywhere. I think he just wants to keep busy. Just call and ask to be assigned to someone.

That sounds good until they leave.  I was not notified when my PVP left last month and missed out on a great deal on the Mardi Gras for next April.  I have a new PVP who seems good. Hope he is there for a long time. 

On 7/5/2020 at 10:26 PM, lazydayz said:

That sounds good until they leave.  I was not notified when my PVP left last month and missed out on a great deal on the Mardi Gras for next April.  I have a new PVP who seems good. Hope he is there for a long time. 

Hi there

Yes, that has happened to me as well, but so far I have been lucky with the replacements (so far). 😀