Any signs of bankrupcy for any major cruiselines?

On 7/24/2020 at 5:09 AM, nosapphire said:

I think this is where the expedition cruises, such as Hurtigruten, will have an enourmous advantage, as their ships are targeted at the destinations, not the on-board-holiday. Their passengers will not be bothered about no parties, shows etc - as long as the destinations accept visitors, and as long as the on-board information continues, they will continue.

This is where we've been (Hurtigruten to Antarctica and Norwegian coast) and where we hope to be (a Silversea expedition to Galapagos (a bucket list for over 20 years). And the Galapagos is late 2021 and we have up to July to cancel with full refund (which was only $1k).

On 7/26/2020 at 5:01 AM, ontheweb said:

Having been to his gardens with DW, I like Monet's gardens better also.

On 7/26/2020 at 5:31 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Sure, who doesn’t?  But you do know that he didn’t do any of the planting, trimming or raking himself, don’t you?

He hired the kid down the block to cut the grass.  Kid must have made an impression.   

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, ldubs said:

He hired the kid down the block to cut the grass.  Kid must have made an impression.   

Come on now, this was pretty good.   Monet.   Impressionist landscape.  Get it!    

(Sometimes I might laugh a little too much at my own jokes)  

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Yes - rather clever - but did you really have to hammer us with it?

Well, no one forced me.  Thanks.   😋

Edited by ldubs

12 hours ago, ldubs said:

Come on now, this was pretty good.   Monet.   Impressionist landscape.  Get it!    

(Sometimes I might laugh a little too much at my own jokes)  

If Picasso had gardens could he have found a kid who could do a cubist landscape? And what would that look like?

• Haha 1

Pretty much all cruise lines have CEOs that came from other businesses, they will all know of the risks of savage price cutting - they will have seen it before, well before 2008.

So while there may be some interesting deals on the first few voyages, just to get started, I cannot see the big price cuts that some seem to be hoping for.

What I CAN see is a lot of savage cost cutting, and the easiest way to cut costs is almost certainly to reduce crew wages and benefits, and I have a really nasty feeling that is what is going to happen across the board, with the possible exception of the genuine (and expensive) luxury lines.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

And would anyone understand what it was about? 

My DW might; she is an art teacher.

She would probably love a Jackson Pollack garden, while I would hate it. OTOH, I would love an Escher garden while she would like it, but not as much.

Monet's garden story. We were there during a land trip to Paris. DW was looking through the tee shirts but they were all either large, extra large, or children's sizes. She finally found the only small. The sales clerk opened the package saying this will never fit. But it looked the right size. She bought it, and it fits perfectly.

Edited by ontheweb
punctuation

5 hours ago, drsel said:

Does anyone remember how much the Cruise prices fell soon after 9/11 and the global financial crisis of 2008 ?

After how long did they return back to normal?

Commencing Spring 2002, I started cruising twice a year - as I recall, prices only started climbing by 2004 or 2005 - which was about when cuts in service and quality started in earnest.  

“Normal” may never return - if it means how things were done until about 15 years ago.

It is difficult to determine how much prices fell.  Our experience is that cruise ship prices are in constant flux.  We don't believe in this 'list' price nonsense for anything, including cruises.  We only know when a cruise price is good when it hits our target price.  No different that airline fares.   

Over the last two years we have looked at last minute balcony prices in the Med.  Same trimeframe...Oct.   They were more than double what we paid in 2008, 2012.  Celebrity especially.  We did a fair number of Med cruises post 2008/9.   The economy was one issue.  The other was that for the preceding few years the cruise lines had been increasing capacity -too much capacity.

No different than Alaska 7 day cruises from Vancouver (either direction) over the past three-four years.   The market is out of whack when HAL offers last minute 7 day Alaska Zaandam cruises in July and Aug. for 269/299 for inside 349/399 for outside obstructed.  Similar pricing for Princess.  Overcapacity issue.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nosapphire said:

What I CAN see is a lot of savage cost cutting, and the easiest way to cut costs is almost certainly to reduce crew wages and benefits, and I have a really nasty feeling that is what is going to happen across the board, with the possible exception of the genuine (and expensive) luxury lines.

Labor is a big component in most hospitality industry op costs. It only make sense to start from there.

On 7/9/2020 at 1:52 PM, PORT ROYAL said:

Totally agree, they also complain about the luggage weight restriction in Coach as an excuse for not wearing a Tux, when we all know they can pay for additional suitcases when in Coach.

I do pack a tux when we cruise, but I wouldn't do it if it meant that I needed to bring an extra suitcase, even if it was free. This has nothing to do with cost, it's all about the pain of transporting an extra suitcase all the way from Sweden. 

If I had been on my other phone I would have posted a pic of the luggage from our latest 7 nts cruise. Traveling with a toddler = A LOT of luggage.

11 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

I do pack a tux when we cruise, but I wouldn't do it if it meant that I needed to bring an extra suitcase, even if it was free. This has nothing to do with cost, it's all about the pain of transporting an extra suitcase all the way from Sweden. 

If I had been on my other phone I would have posted a pic of the luggage from our latest 7 nts cruise. Traveling with a toddler = A LOT of luggage.

May one assist with some suggestions to ease your luggage concerns.

Taxi from home to Airport, with driver loading

Airport Porter from Taxi to Checkin

Porter from arrival luggage carousel to Taxi to the destination Hotel

Hotel Porter from Taxi to Hotel check in and then to room

Hotel Porter from Hotel Room to Taxi to ship

Dockside Porter from Taxi at Port

2 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

Well we don't have that option since we need to take a 4 hr long train ride to get to our first airport. 

If I had to choose between a extra suitcase or leaving the tux, the tux would stay at home.

Then suggest a Taxi from home to Station

Station Porter from arrival to Train

Station Porter from arrival station to Hotel

Hotel Porter from Hotel Room to Taxi to ship

As you state the Tux would require an extra suitcase, may one ask as to what size is your Tux?

8 minutes ago, PORT ROYAL said:

Then suggest a Taxi from home to Station

Station Porter from arrival to Train

Station Porter from arrival station to Hotel

Hotel Porter from Hotel Room to Taxi to ship

As you state the Tux would require an extra suitcase, may one ask as to what size is your Tux?

There's no train station porters, there's no porters at the airport, I would need to bring it on my own all the way from home to check in at the airport in Denmark. 

But you are missing the point, IF my tux would require me to bring a extra bag, I wouldn't bring it. It's not that important to me.

15 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

There's no train station porters, there's no porters at the airport, I would need to bring it on my own all the way from home to check in at the airport in Denmark. 

But you are missing the point, IF my tux would require me to bring a extra bag, I wouldn't bring it. It's not that important to me.

If one accepts your reasoning, then the only Tux option is the rental service on Cunard.

On bording, the Pursers Desk with be happy to assist.

All legitimate concerns are now resolved.

Subject exchange concluded.

On 7/24/2020 at 1:09 PM, nosapphire said:

While I won't be getting on a ship for quite a while yet, that is because I want to see how this virus behaves in the coming winter, and more specifically, how the cruise lines cope with the combination of making things both safe and enjoyable.

So I certainly won't be bullying anyone who wants to cruise ASAP - I'm keeping fingers crossed that they all come back saying, "see - told you it would be OK".

Let's face it - somebody has to be prepared to start again, even if only to prove the more timid of us (me) wrong.

I think this is where the expedition cruises, such as Hurtigruten, will have an enourmous advantage, as their ships are targeted at the destinations, not the on-board-holiday. Their passengers will not be bothered about no parties, shows etc - as long as the destinations accept visitors, and as long as the on-board information continues, they will continue.

Well, I certainly got that last bit wrong, didn't I?