The Daily for Saturday Jul 18, 2020

richwmn

today is National Sour Candy Day and National Listening Day

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo.

Meal suggestion for today - Roasted Dijon Herb Crusted Pork Loin

Wine of the day - Bodegas Palacios Remondo Rioja La Vendimia vintage 2015

At Sea Indian Ocean
Amsterdam destination Suez Canal eta 7/24
Noordam destination Singapore eta 7/18
Rotterdam destination Suez Canal eta 7/24
Zuiderdam destination Melaka eta 7/19

Port Dickson
Eurodam
Westerdam

Punta Arenas
Oosterdam

Port Said
Maasdam
Veendam

Puerto Vallarta
Koningsdam

Singapore Anchorage
Nieuw Amsterdam
Volendam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam docked

0718Suez.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Pin on Funny

Great morning to you Rich. Thank you for the Daily. The wine is very well priced for a table wine type meal.

The pork sounds yummy but we just had a pork item this week. I'll put it down for Monday though. Agree 100% with your quote of the day.

Good morning sisters and fellow Daily-ites. Our iron fence and landscape map was approved yesterday! Yippee!

I have been looking thru kazu's flowers and seeing where I can order some. I think many will bring more hummingbirds to our feeders. Allen got a huge bird feeder from my (other) sister Bonnie for his birthday. Bird seed should arrive today. I'm ready!

Mid 90's here for the next week. Had a few days of rain in the forecast and see it is no longer there. 

Devoting my prayers to our Daily friends this morning. Hope everyone stays healthy and don't go out if you do not need to.

@kazu, will await your new flower pictures. You have lovely gardens.

Denise and Ann, have a great weekend. Remember you have a middle sister who loves you!

• Like 6

National Sour Candy Day, loved it when I was younger but not now.

National Listening Day, we could use this everyday.

Meal suggestion for today - Roasted Dijon Herb Crusted Pork Loin.  We had something similiar to this on Monday.  Garlic encrusted pork loin with balsamic vinegar glaze.

The sunrise this morning lit up the whole sky.  But we are due for rain and thunderstorms for the next 5 days.

Good morning dailyites.  Love all the flower pictures, I don't have a garden and limited flowering bushes because of the heat in south Florida.

• Like 5

Good morning Dailyites.

Nice to see the map, even if the ships noted are sailing away.

The dinner suggestion sounds interesting, I'll file that away for another day.  And, I'll certainly have to check out that wine and see if I can get it here.

It's another hot, humid day here, so I won't be doing any strenuous work.

Keeping good thoughts for everyone. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile.

National Listening Day - Love it - Listening more is something a lot of us (including me) need to practice regularly 😉 

LOL on the quote.  Have to pass on the meal suggestion although it would be enjoyable. No pork in the fridge.  Yum on Rioja.  Love Rioja wines - especially the white ones.

@Seasick Sailor - hummingbirds are definitely attracted to a lot of our flowers.  They zip in and out.  Strangely enough they like the dahlias and even some of the begonias.  I’m not sure why but we love having them around. We don’t have a feeder for them although we do have bird feeders due to our flying squirrel who spills the stuff everywhere.

Just a few photos today as it’s wet and gloomy outside. (We need the rain so I’m hoping the skies open).

2321DE73-EE77-4BEF-80EC-F2E3C3751ACC.thumb.jpeg.4eb46d3417578f4d72b8443d66e21ffb.jpeg

Love this begonia.  it changes as it opens.

74E04F06-D3A4-4012-9300-F3F71B7CD1AE.thumb.jpeg.12edf3917c8d0a5ac21968d47d7a99d7.jpeg

I was relieved that some of my cobaea scandens (Cup and Saucer vine) transplanted seedlings have made it and started to climb.  I’m just showing this pic now so that down the road (assuming they bloom) I can show you the difference.

01CB8D0F-3610-429E-BDC1-785CA36DA41D.thumb.jpeg.2d02471cbb9a88bdbbc31101670274e4.jpeg

The dogs have always been good about the gardens and planters as you can see from this pic of my dear departed Kazu

9786B41B-539B-47AC-B64D-712BE83F0D43.thumb.jpeg.cd247591eab7efeebff05ed814deed25.jpeg

But sadly, some new type of earwig has hit my dahlias so I’ve had to put that special earth in the planters to try to fight them.  It’s not poisonous but I sure don’t want it in my dogs’ stomachs. It could do some damage.  Since Miko likes to sniff new things I have to keep my eye on the bundle of trouble.  He got a slight correction - can you see the “who, innocent me” look?  LOL.

E45560E0-E040-4CFE-82E7-6070F7358AB5.thumb.jpeg.0dcf3ac61f641d554cb983606befe9bf.jpeg

Stay safe and well all and hope those that have been ill recover quickly. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning sisters and fellow Daily-ites. Our iron fence and landscape map was approved yesterday! Yippee!

I have been looking thru kazu's flowers and seeing where I can order some. I think many will bring more hummingbirds to our feeders. Allen got a huge bird feeder from my (other) sister Bonnie for his birthday. Bird seed should arrive today. I'm ready!

@kazu, will await your new flower pictures. You have lovely gardens.

Joy, Congrats on the approval of your landscaping plan.  Let the fun begin! 

My hummers & butterflies love my deep red Pentas flowers. Very hardy, drought tolerant - at least in my zone 9. In the summer heat, I do have to give them some water, if it does not rain for two days in a row.  This year, I have not had to worry about that.  

I suspect they would do ok in zone 8.  I have to do some dead-heading later, and will snap a pic & share.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, kazu said:

Since Miko likes to sniff new things I have to keep my eye on the bundle of trouble.  He got a slight correction - can you see the “who, innocent me” look?  LOL.

E45560E0-E040-4CFE-82E7-6070F7358AB5.thumb.jpeg.0dcf3ac61f641d554cb983606befe9bf.jpeg

Stay safe and well all and hope those that have been ill recover quickly. 

Jacqui, Love Miko’s markings.  I believe all dogs attend school to learn all the important “looks” - such as the “Who, me?” look.🐶

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Good morning and another thanks to Rich  for continuing to Host this friendly thread.  I can't imagine how the crew who are left on the 4 ships that have been sold are feeling knowing that they have an uncertain future.  I hope that on National listening day the powers that be in the HAL offices are listening and reading all of our comments, concerns and questions.  I know how sad I felt (and am still feeling) after 3 cancelled cruises.  The menu suggestion sounds good - for a cooler day.  I am including a couple of photos from our garden.

373A3633-47D3-47D7-A944-374434A51B32.jpeg

0A5BB60F-B566-43BB-A873-EA1453585F4A.jpeg

61C3F365-4326-4C4C-9D09-DC549DE02F40.jpeg

3FA66BA2-F0F2-4E70-B9FA-58A3EF153495.jpeg

18A8DAF8-44E0-430C-B6AE-B03B08149876.jpeg

D5E738EE-E2D6-4EB5-9905-B772BC894877.jpeg

862A2F17-6ACE-4AE6-B5B3-BF4674B17513.jpeg

35DA670B-8D7B-47BB-8512-28B867A07561.jpeg

• Like 9

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!  Morning Dailyites & my Left Coast & Central Sisters! Hope all are well.

My local deer herd surrounded my place this morning. Sadly taking a picture through glass & a screen does not yield great results. The fawns even rested near an island between my neighbor’s and my property, while the herd grazed. This year there are three bucks traveling with the herd. Up until this year I might see a buck once or twice a year. There are a great many new houses being built in the Southern section of my subdivision, perhaps that is driving the changed behavior. I even had a chance to see a buck play fight with a teenager this morning. Amazing! Maybe it is the reduced number of cars on the road that is behind this changed behavior. 

The wine and meal sound amazing. Boy that quote is spot on!
Tonight is leftovers night for me. 

Sharon - hope your Sister in law is doing better.  

Stay well everyone!

• Like 5

Good Morning 

Lovely photos of your gardens.

@kazu I’m glad no one picked up our excess clay pots a few years back. I expect to be using them. You’ve inspired me.

Love the butterflies. I planted some milkweed a few years back and gotten lost of rogue plants. We have had many a new monarch grow up in our yard, and there is always 1 or 2 flying around.

Heading out to the beach this morning for a hike with a new group. My church gathers on YouTube this evening. Today is my Sunday as the new work week starts again tomorrow. 

• Like 4

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'm sure we could all do with a little more listening; I try, but I think of something in response, and by the time the person has finished speaking, I've forgotten it!  LOL

Love the meal suggestion for today, but our DIL is making Japanese food for dinner tonight - yumm!  And wine.  Stay well, stay safe!

Smooh Sailing!  :classic_smile::classic_smile::classic_smile:

Gerry

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Jacqui, Love Miko’s markings.

Thanks - his colouring is called parti.  I never heard of that until my vet told me about this litter.  

41 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I believe all dogs attend school to learn all the important “looks” - such as the “Who, me?” look.🐶

LOL - I think your right 🙂 😄 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, gigianne said:

Good morning and another thanks to Rich  for continuing to Host this friendly thread.  I can't imagine how the crew who are left on the 4 ships that have been sold are feeling knowing that they have an uncertain future.  I hope that on National listening day the powers that be in the HAL offices are listening and reading all of our comments, concerns and questions.  I know how sad I felt (and am still feeling) after 3 cancelled cruises.  The menu suggestion sounds good - for a cooler day.  I am including a couple of photos from our garden.

373A3633-47D3-47D7-A944-374434A51B32.jpeg

0A5BB60F-B566-43BB-A873-EA1453585F4A.jpeg

61C3F365-4326-4C4C-9D09-DC549DE02F40.jpeg

3FA66BA2-F0F2-4E70-B9FA-58A3EF153495.jpeg

18A8DAF8-44E0-430C-B6AE-B03B08149876.jpeg

D5E738EE-E2D6-4EB5-9905-B772BC894877.jpeg

862A2F17-6ACE-4AE6-B5B3-BF4674B17513.jpeg

35DA670B-8D7B-47BB-8512-28B867A07561.jpeg

Gorgeous Georgina 😄 

Amazing shot of the butterflies. 

Your garden is ahead of mine by far with the much nicer weather you had this spring!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks - his colouring is called parti.  I never heard of that until my vet told me about this litter.  

LOL - I think your right 🙂 😄 

Another thing I have learned from CC. Thank you.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@Seasick Sailor

Joy, here are a couple pics of the Pentas I mentioned. This is one plant in a clay pot. Very happy here. It enjoys the water from my sprinkler system. Other than deadheading fairly regularly, I do nothing.  My local bees also love the flowers!

91D3E5E4-1B52-4857-8D60-A8FE71D23EA3.jpeg

0AEBF35F-49F3-4768-A83B-8CD3161841AF.jpeg

Very pretty 🙂 

• Like 3

We live in west central Florida. I was just 'visiting' the Master Gardener's Nursery to get ideas. For those who would like to attract more hummers, consider the Firebush. I have one in the front yard and the insects and hummers love it. I have let mine just grow and it is getting too big (about 12' now and about the same across). I was asking about pruning and the gardeners indicated that severe pruning is ok, the plant will tolerate it. I'll do that after we return from our planned Nieuw Statendam 21-day in January.

Jim

DSC_0005.JPG

Edited by JimnKaren
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

@Seasick Sailor

Joy, here are a couple pics of the Pentas I mentioned. This is one plant in a clay pot. Very happy here. It enjoys the water from my sprinkler system. Other than deadheading fairly regularly, I do nothing.  My local bees also love the flowers!

91D3E5E4-1B52-4857-8D60-A8FE71D23EA3.jpeg

0AEBF35F-49F3-4768-A83B-8CD3161841AF.jpeg

Beautiful! For sure I will order these!

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, JimnKaren said:

We live in west central Florida. I was just 'visiting' the Master Gardener's Nursery to get ideas. For those who would like to attract more hummers, consider the Firebush. I have one in the front yard and the insects and hummers love it. I have let mine just grow and it is getting too big (about 12' now and about the same across). I was asking about pruning and the gardeners indicated that severe pruning is ok, the plant will tolerate it. I'll do that after we return from our planned Nieuw Statendam 21-day in January.

Jim

DSC_0005.JPG

Wow! Need to research, where one might fit best.

I am in NorthEast Central Florida. Just a bit up the road from Daytona - Or down the road from St. Augustine. 

Thank you.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 2

Thank you for the report, Rich.  Love the quote and National Listening Day, but I'm not into sour candy.  I think it's too hot for the stove today so dinner (probably ham) will all be by microwave.

The Maasdam and Veendam have cleared the Suez canal and will likely spend the remainder of their HAL days in the Med.  I wonder where Blue Seas Cruises will have it's headquarters.  The Gulf Bridge (Amsterdam Luggage) is passing Hong Kong on the way to Ningbo, China.

Ger_77, enjoy your family time

Today's Care List:

Strengthening for Allen

Continuing recovery for Sharon's son and sister-in-law

Justice Ginsburg

Constituents of Congressman Lewis.  I lost my own Congressman last year and it was stressful.

Roy

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, rafinmd said:

Ger_77, enjoy your family time

Today's Care List:

Strengthening for Allen

Continuing recovery for Sharon's son and sister-in-law

Justice Ginsburg

Constituents of Congressman Lewis.  I lost my own Congressman last year and it was stressful.

Roy

Thank you Roy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1