CCL to remove two more ships from fleet beyond previous disclosure

KirkNC

A little tug at the heart seeing the Fantasy beached for scrapping.  Back in 1993 we took a 4-day “try it you’ll like it” cruise on the Fantasy out of Port Canaveral.   We liked it and our TA at the time booked us on the MS Ryndam based in our likes and dislikes on the Fantasy.   Hard to believe that was 27 years and 20+ cruises ago.   

• Like 5

Hopeful that the next two ships to go will be the Imagination and Fascination. HAL has taken a disproportionate hit to their fleet, especially compared to Carnival and Princess' substantially larger fleets. The majority of Carnival's Fantasy class is older than at least the Veendam/Rotterdam/Amsterdam, and the transferring of the two Princess ships seems like just more CCL's shell games that they like to play with their various international brands rather than an actual sale/loss of ships. 

I understand HAL's ships are smaller and some may be less profitable, but for one line to lose 20% of its fleet overnight while the others to remain relatively untouched doesn't sit right with me. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Infi said:

I understand HAL's ships are smaller and some may be less profitable, but for one line to lose 20% of its fleet overnight while the others to remain relatively untouched doesn't sit right with me. 

It may not sit right, but it's business.  Those smaller, older Carnival ships are cash cows, especially on short cruises.  I am not the least bit surprised to see the majority of HAL's small fleet to go first.

What does surprise me is RCCL's Sovereign and Monarch.  I never thought I would see them scrapped this early instead of going to other lines.  It's actually kinda sad to see them on the beach.

image.thumb.png.00d11eb083d2072694cbf5fc53583028.png

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

What does surprise me is RCCL's Sovereign and Monarch.  I never thought I would see them scrapped this early instead of going to other lines.  It's actually kinda sad to see them on the beach.

I too am surprised to see what look to be fairly nice ships at the scrappers.   Typically the ships I’ve seen on the beach looked like it was more than beyond their time.   I guess it goes to these were actively being used and not tied up somewhere for years.  

32 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Better to take the write off, than to sell them to someone else (who will use them in direct competition with you)

2 hours ago, FredT said:

Better to take the write off, than to sell them to someone else (who will use them in direct competition with you)

So you think HAL should have scrapped Amsterdam and Rotterdam rather than selling them to Fred Olsen? 

3 hours ago, Aquahound said:

It may not sit right, but it's business.  Those smaller, older Carnival ships are cash cows, especially on short cruises.  I am not the least bit surprised to see the majority of HAL's small fleet to go first.

They do look darned good considering Sovereign was built in 1988 and Monarch was built in 1991!  In 2013 both ships went to Pullmantur who of course, just filed for "reorganization".    So many ships around and no one to buy them like they used to.  

Linda R.

7 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

So you think HAL should have scrapped Amsterdam and Rotterdam rather than selling them to Fred Olsen? 

Actually I was referring (poorly I do admit) to the "mega ships".   There are limited markets for these behemoths, and there is a much better chance of them coming into direct competition with your own ships.  Fred Olsen on the other hand caterers to a very different market, where even P&O is a "step up".   

2 hours ago, Randyk47 said:

I too am surprised to see what look to be fairly nice ships at the scrappers.   Typically the ships I’ve seen on the beach looked like it was more than beyond their time.  

Carnival Fantasy represented an advance in the cruise experience as compared to Carnival's earlier ships.  It's sad, I agree, to see her demise.

Sovereign of the Seas and Monarch of the Seas days were probably numbered when they were transferred to Pullmantur Cruises.  While the Spanish speaking market appeared large, in Spain, because of economic conditions, I think they struggled.  I think the ships had more success in serving guests in the Latin America market.  

They certainly don't fit in the portfolio of current Royal Caribbean ships.  I wonder how long their "youngest sister" Majesty of the Seas will remain.  And, what about Empress of the Seas?  

8 minutes ago, FredT said:

Fred Olsen on the other hand caterers to a very different market, where even P&O is a "step up".   

I am thinking that Fred. Olsen is interested in "movin' on up" to quote part of the theme song from The Jeffersons of many years ago.  

22 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Carnival Fantasy represented an advance in the cruise experience as compared to Carnival's earlier ships.  It's sad, I agree, to see her demise.

We were in our early 40’s in 1993 when we were on the Fantasy to see if we liked cruising.   Back then there was a pretty nice cruise-only TA in town and an agent there recommended we try Carnival and the back then still relatively new Fantasy.   We actually had a great cruise and we learned quite a bit about cruising and what we liked, disliked, and wanted on our next cruise.   She booked us on the then very, very new.....like her sixth revenue cruise.....MS Ryndam for a 10-day cruise in a Deluxe Suite.  We thought we’d died and gone to heaven, we were spoiled.   To this day think I still consider HAL’s Deluxe now called Neptune Suites one of the best non-penthouse suite afloat.   

Edited by Randyk47

2 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

We were in our early 40’s in 1993 when we were on the Fantasy to see if we liked cruising.   Back then there was a pretty nice cruise-only TA in town and an agent there recommended we try Carnival and the back then still relatively new Fantasy.   We actually had a great cruise and we learned quite a bit about cruising and what we liked, disliked, and wanted on our next cruise.   She booked us on the then very, very new.....like her sixth revenue cruise.....MS Ryndam for a 10-day cruise in a Deluxe Suite.  We thought we’d died and gone to heaven, we were spoiled.   To this day think I still consider HAL’s Deluxe now called Neptune Suites one of the best non-penthouse suites afloat.   

1 hour ago, Randyk47 said:

To this day think I still consider HAL’s Deluxe now called Neptune Suites one of the best non-penthouse suite afloat.   

I had one once on the Westerdam.  Great experience and am thankful for it.  MSC's Yacht Club is a step above from my one experience on MSC Meraviglia in January.  

31 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I had one once on the Westerdam.  Great experience and am thankful for it.  MSC's Yacht Club is a step above from my one experience on MSC Meraviglia in January.  

I agree that other cruise lines have in essence have caught up but in late 1994 early 1995 Deluxe/Neptune Suites were ahead of their time.   Subsequently we’ve had Royal Suites or Silver Suites on other cruise lines and they were excellent.   But we paid for them and in comparison Deluxe/Neptune Suites are a real value.   

1 hour ago, Randyk47 said:

I agree that other cruise lines have in essence have caught up but in late 1994 early 1995 Deluxe/Neptune Suites were ahead of their time.   Subsequently we’ve had Royal Suites or Silver Suites on other cruise lines and they were excellent.   But we paid for them and in comparison Deluxe/Neptune Suites are a real value.   

We routinely sailed Neptune Suites on HAL.  We got to 4Star pretty quick that way. 😁  But as rkacruiser says even a Neptune Suite experience is trumped by the Yacht Club experience on MSC in my opinion.  Even though the cabin is smaller, the overall experience is superior.  I have not sailed in The Haven on NCL yet, but I assume similar to YC?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 1:07 PM, YXU AC*SE said:

Potentially could be Carnival Fascination and Carnival Imagination.  Both are without plans for re-activation, and their Fantasy-class sisters, Carnival Fantasy and Carnival Inspiration are already at the breakers in Aliağa, TK waiting for their turn on the beach. 

Carnival Imagination -- AIS updated for Aliağa, TK.  Departed Willemstad, Curacao.  Fascination is still alongside in Cádiz , ES    Scott.

source: https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:370651/zoom:9

image.thumb.png.6e1ceaf8c804a90998d0f7f3f223c19e.png

Edited by YXU AC*SE

14 minutes ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Slight correction to my previous post.  I finally found the post again.  It is the Pacific Princess and Pacific Aria.  The first is a a Princess ship and the Aria is the former Ryndam which is part of P&O.  Both are heading to Turkey.

Definitely sad to see Pacific Aria going there.

Roy

• Like 3

1 hour ago, YXU AC*SE said:

See for yourself.   Scott. 

Unsure that I ought to say "thanks for the video".  But, I appreciate you posting it.

What must the Officers (in their white dress uniforms) whom, I assume, are still Carnival Cruise Line Officers feel at such a time?  

2 hours ago, ski ww said:

This is sure keeping the breakers yards busy. Wonder what it feels like to intentionally run a ship aground?

Our ship ran aground (not intentionally) heading to dock Buenos Aires.  Boy you could feel that.

It took about 8 hours to get the ship out and we had very limited time in Buenos Aires.

The ship was being inspected big time to make sure all was well.

Apparently the mud had accumulated and had not been cleaned so the crew were caught very off guard.

• Like 1