Did you ever run into your "twin" on a cruise?

shipgeeks

One evening (so long ago!) I put on my dark green dress and nude shoes.  Walked into the atrium, right past a woman, 20 years my junior, wearing the same dress and shoes.  We shared a chuckle about our "excellent taste".  Walked into the elevator lobby, saw a third woman, 40 years my junior, in the same dress and shoes.

On another cruise, we stepped out of our cabin as the man across the hall stepped out of his.  He and DH looked at each other.  They were wearing exactly the same shirt, with black trousers and black slip-on shoes.

We've seen a couple who dress alike (or complimentary) every night, and two sisters who dressed alike for an entire cruise.

What have you seen?

• Like 1

Literally my sister-in-law!   I picked up my dress from a thrift store, black knee-length v-neck dress, rhinestone buckle at waist.  I'm a size 24, so I'm not expecting anyone else to have a dress remotely like mine.  Show up on the first formal night for photos with the family, and she's wearing the identical dress in a size 8!  Guess our husbands looked the same so we might as well look like twins too!  Funny thing... she lives in Ohio, I live in Illinois, so it's not like we shop the same places!

• Like 2

Great story, Scarlet!  And I love the description of your dress, especially the rhinestone buckle.  My green dress came from a thrift store, too.

I read our posts to DH just now.  He smiled, then he looked disappointed.  "What about all those times I wore my tuxedo and there were at least 800 men dressed exactly the same?"   Yep, he's right.  It's nice being the one who gets to wear different things, including rhinestone buckles, isn't it?

• Like 2

I saw the twin outfit but I wasn’t wearing mine at the time...

I was on the pool deck when a teenager was wearing a pair of cotton shorts (think mid-weight t-shirt type fabric) with an elastic waist and a coordinating short sleeve top that just covered the waistband of the shorts. She looked cute, however I knew what she was wearing...I had the same set that I purchased in the lingerie department as summer pajamas!! I had brought mine to wear for sleeping so I’d be wearing something modest to answer the door for room service.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gotta cruise again said:

I saw the twin outfit but I wasn’t wearing mine at the time...

I was on the pool deck when a teenager was wearing a pair of cotton shorts (think mid-weight t-shirt type fabric) with an elastic waist and a coordinating short sleeve top that just covered the waistband of the shorts. She looked cute, however I knew what she was wearing...I had the same set that I purchased in the lingerie department as summer pajamas!! I had brought mine to wear for sleeping so I’d be wearing something modest to answer the door for room service.

Age gaps are funny aren't they?  I used to show off so much cleavage, now i can't cover up enough!

5 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve seen a pair of female twins in their 50s who dressed exactly the same every day, including jewellery and accessories. This wasn’t on just one cruise either, I saw them on another cruise a couple of years later. 

We’ve run into them a couple of times. Also the elderly couple that always dress alike, everyday

• Like 1

Mine isn't clothing-related and didn't happen on a ship, but it's a good one!

One year during Sundance Film Festival time, I was closing up the bottom of our lift that ends in town in the plaza where Entertainment Tonight/Weekly had it's huge tent set up.  I had John Paul DeJoria (owns Paul Mitchell hair care and Patrón tequila) walked past. I always at least smile and nod at people, so I did that.  He stopped for a moment and we chatted.  He owns the penthouse in the building next to the plaza.  I thanked him for his support of the Mexican bobsled team back in 2002.  He then said that I looked like his wife, Eloise.  He pulls out her VIP pass for Sundance and tells me she left early and would I like her pass!!!!!!   I took it and thanked him for the compliment.  I ended up too afraid to try to use it to get into any of VIP places.  I could have gone wild in all the "gifting" rooms!!!!!  Anyway, it's always a fun story. 

• Like 1

I make a lot of my clothes, so I don't usually see twins.

I also have a rule--If I go shopping with my daughters and we see something we both like, I don't get it. It's obviously too young for me. I even call it "cute in a far-too-young-for-me" look.

• Like 1

I don't, but DH does, and I am not referring just to clothing, How often on cruises to you see this general description: white guy, 60's, medium height, bald, gray  beard, wears glasses, a bit heavy with significant belly?  Everywhere we go, people think he's someone they know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I had this happen on a cruise.  I had made a skirt with fabric that had parrots on it.  I was walking across the lido deck and there is a older man sitting in a chair, right by where I was walking.  He had a shirt made out of the same fabric.  We talked  about the fabric, he said that his wife made the shirt for him. We had a laugh. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not on a cruise, but at the Kentucky Derby - our one and only time attending - I was walking through the crowd and saw a woman just about my age in the exact same dress.  It was a blue sleeveless sheath-type dress from Talbot's, with bright flowers in various colors.  (Much prettier than I'm making it sound!)  I'd also found the cutest pair of open-toed, block-heeled pumps that were comfortable for walking, in the exact shade of blue.  

We smiled at each other and then looked down at each others' feet at the same time.  It's one thing to see the identical dress, but we also were wearing the exact same shoes!  The only thing that was different was our hats.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes. I am blond and in a wheelchair.  A couple of years ago, I was on a cruise with my mother and nephew on one of RCCL's megaships, and my mother went up to a another woman in a wheelchair with long blond hair, thinking she was me.  It turned out, there was another woman on the ship who used a wheelchair, we were about the same age, had similar coloring, dressed similarly (she, too, was rather stylish 🥰) , and , like me, she had long, blond hair that hung down the back of her wheelchair.  We ran into each other in the restaurants (she with her family, I with mine), in the hair salon (of course), out at the ports.  I wish we had taken a picture together.

• 6 months later...

On a 2-week Alaska cruise on the Zaandam in 2018, sailing with a group of nine including my half-sister and step-mom, I thought I'd bumped into the latter -- same curling-iron hair, glasses, plaid oxford and neat jeans. Similar face. I started chatting only to meet a puzzled look and realize IT WAS NOT HER. 

Despite the smaller ship size, I never did bump into the doppelganger again.

Edited by crystalspin

• 1 month later...

I was on a cruise where a couple brought their bears and seated them at their own table which they had sat on the table. All of them were coordinated. The girl bear wore a slightly more fanciful dress than the woman. They were clearly sewn from the same fabric and very well made, too. The man and the bear fellow wore matching suits, shirts, and ties. The couple was a lot of fun with interesting stories but I admit we weren't sure what to expect when they showed up just after us with their entourage.

• 2 weeks later...

Had something similar happen at a friends wedding, I was wearing a dress from my favourite store, and another guest had the skirt and top combo of the same design. It’s a semi-regular occurrence at weddings in Ireland as most mid20s to mid40s buy their wedding outfits at one of 2 chain stores. So there’s nearly always at least 2 female guests wearing the same dress/outfit at any wedding. Probably won’t happen so much anymore as cheaper of the chains has pulled out of Ireland during covid & brexit and the other has reduced it’s number of outlets drastically. 

the weirdest doppelgänger incident I’ve experienced was a picture posted by Humans of New York of a homeless dude... when you zoomed in on his face he was the spitting image of my father. Of course I had to share it on Facebook and all the family got totally freaked, my dad threatened to cut me out of the will before he zoomed in on the picture and got equally freaked out. It was the last social media exchange I and my extended family had with him as he died suddenly the next week while away on vacation. 

• 1 month later...

On my last Voyages to Antiquity cruise there was a large group of Road Scholar folks who had been on for awhile already.  Among them - a plus size lady with grayish hair and about 5'6".  It was like looking at a sister from another mister.    We joked because we always got confused - she got my drink order, the RS tour guide kept trying me to hustle along to get into their specific bus.  We sat at dinner together one night and most folks were doing double-takes.

Shar

• Haha 1