More ships to leave Carnival Fleet.

mercury7289

19 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Me too. We've two cruises already  booked for 2021 so 2022 could unfortunately be our last. It just depends on whether Arcadia and Aurora are still around

Avril 

I'm booked on Arcadia at the end of January, which I don't expect to happen and then Fred Olsen's Boudicca next June, which I hope will happen but her future has been thrown into doubt after their acquisition of two 'new' ships...

12 minutes ago, Britboys said:

I'm booked on Arcadia at the end of January, which I don't expect to happen and then Fred Olsen's Boudicca next June, which I hope will happen but her future has been thrown into doubt after their acquisition of two 'new' ships...

Seems as if the days of classic cruising is coming to an end. Such a shame.

Avril 

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

P&O has historically got away with charging a premium for cruises on her

I've always found balcony cabins in Aurora to be substantially more expensive than Arcadia.

20 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Seems as if the days of classic cruising is coming to an end. Such a shame.

Avril 

The two new Saga ships seem to epitomise classic cruising. Less than 1000 pax, a prom deck,  freedom dining, interesting itineraries- what's not to like?

Of course the fares are higher, but if you want classic cruising, it comes at a cost.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I've always found balcony cabins in Aurora to be substantially more expensive than Arcadia.

And apart from the de luxe ones on C deck they are grossly inferior to Arcadia, in fact most of Arcadias balconies are the best in the fleet, except for C deck on Azura & Ventura.

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

And apart from the de luxe ones on C deck they are grossly inferior to Arcadia, in fact most of Arcadias balconies are the best in the fleet, except for C deck on Azura & Ventura.

I've not cruised on Aurora,  so didn't want to say too much, but I thought Arcadia was fine, especially the size of the balcony cabins,  which are more like mini suites.  And the theatre on Arcadia is fantastic!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I've not cruised on Aurora,  so didn't want to say too much, but I thought Arcadia was fine, especially the size of the balcony cabins,  which are more like mini suites.  And the theatre on Arcadia is fantastic!

I totally agree with you about Arcadia's balcony cabins and theatre. I also love the outside glass lift mid-ships.  

Avril 

https://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-and-ferry/carnival-believed-to-be-eyeing-sale-of-cunard-and-seabourn-brands-cruise-insiders-say/2-1-848809

You can't read much of this article as you need to subscribe but enough which seems to indicate there are rumours about Carnival possibly shedding Cunard and Seabourn!!!???

Edited by kruzseeka

5 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

https://www.tradewindsnews.com/cruise-and-ferry/carnival-believed-to-be-eyeing-sale-of-cunard-and-seabourn-brands-cruise-insiders-say/2-1-848809

You can't read much of this article as you need to subscribe but enough which seems to indicate there are rumours about Carnival possibly shedding Cunard and Seabourn!!!???

I've already posted this link on another thread this morning. Carnival have categorically denied it.

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Yes, they both seem to carry quite a price premium over the larger ships. Having done a lot of cruises on Aurora, we really noticed the prices go up when she was converted to adult only.

8 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

We liked the aft corner wrap suite that we had on Arcadia (which had a fantastic balcony - part shade, part open) but we did a ships tour of Arcadia prior to cruising on her and we really disliked the accessible cabins with the ‘angled’ balconies. Much prefer the accessible balcony cabins on Aurora. 

33 minutes ago, brian1 said:

The only downer for me regarding Aurora was the almost non existant atrium.

Unless it has been changed Arcadia's atrium is also a poor affair.

We liked the aft corner wrap suite that we had on Arcadia (which had a fantastic balcony - part shade, part open) but we did a ships tour of Arcadia prior to cruising on her and we really disliked the accessible cabins with the ‘angled’ balconies. Much prefer the accessible balcony cabins on Aurora. 

Not sailed Arcadia since we needed an accessible cabin but reading most of the reviews has put us off as well.  But I seem to remember that we really enjoyed Arcadia's promenade deck, but were disappointed with Aurora's, maybe the fact that we were on a Caribbean fly cruise on Arcadia and the Med from Southampton on Aurora influences that view.

Edited by terrierjohn

We are hoping to still go on the R104 Aurora cruise in April-it covers quite a few places we have yet to visit. I do hope that they are able to make the stated itinerary as the main pleasure for us is getting to do our own thing as we spend full days on such places. 

This will be our first on the Aurora - we did love the Adonia, shame she has already departed P&O.

Edited by Oulton Jim

18 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Unless it has been changed Arcadia's atrium is also a poor affair.

Not sailed Arcadia since we needed an accessible cabin but reading most of the reviews has put us off as well.  But I seem to remember that we really enjoyed Arcadia's promenade deck, but were disappointed with Aurora's, maybe the fact that we were on a Caribbean fly cruise on Arcadia and the Med from Southampton on Aurora influences that view.

I've read some of the negative reviews, but the reviewers don't seem to have been on the same ship that I was on!

Some people seem to take a perverse delight in finding fault with everything.

• Like 2

Yes, they both seem to carry quite a price premium over the larger ships. Having done a lot of cruises on Aurora, we really noticed the prices go up when she was converted to adult only.

And even more so with the demise of Oriana. She was the popular go-to ship because of her tiered decks. All the cabin prices rose substantially. 

Avril 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I've read some of the negative reviews, but the reviewers don't seem to have been on the same ship that I was on!

The reviews I had been reading were for accessible cabins, as we have sailed on Arcadia we know what it's like, and if the accessible cabins were as good as those on Azura/Ventura, then we would have been happy to sail on her.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wowzz said:

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

The reviews I had been reading were for accessible cabins, as we have sailed on Arcadia we know what it's like, and if the accessible cabins were as good as those on Azura/Ventura, then we would have been happy to sail on her.

What suits one doesn't necessarily suit another for individual personal reasons. We prefer the two smaller ships left in P&O 's fleet, and we have our likes and dislikes about each of them. You'll never find perfection. (Believe me, I've looked)😆

Avril 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Britboys said:

I only hope he is right in that we keep both of them until at least 2023. Carnival have been moving P&O inexorably toward the megaships and sadly, I can only see this crisis speeding that up ☹️

If that happens then it will be goodbye P&O from us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brian1 said:

The only downer for me regarding Aurora was the almost non existant atrium.

So many people seem disappointed if a ship doesn't have a huge atrium but I prefer them not to have one. For my money, all it does is rob the ship of extra valuable public space. A large three deck atrium takes up space that could be three more distinct venues.

• Like 2

Having cruised on many different sized ships I could make a case for and against any of them. The longer Covid continues the more ships will disappear, it will be interesting to see how Carnival handles the situation as it drags on. We can all take a stab at what we think will happen, and hope that it doesn't. I am usually a glass half full person, but it is difficult to see any light at the end of the tunnel. Here in Yorkshire we are back in partial lockdown.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, wowzz said:

Probably because Arcadia has a much higher number of balcony cabins. I think Aurora has around 400 and Arcadia around 700.

27 minutes ago, Britboys said:

So many people seem disappointed if a ship doesn't have a huge atrium but I prefer them not to have one. For my money, all it does is rob the ship of extra valuable public space. A large three deck atrium takes up space that could be three more distinct venues.

Good point,there are some nice venues on Aurora like Glasshouse and that little theatre (forgot what it's called) that may not have been there with a bigger atrium.Never been on Arcadia but have sailed QE which I assume is a sister ship.I think the Atrium there is a good compromise.