More ships to leave Carnival Fleet.

mercury7289

43 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Good point,there are some nice venues on Aurora like Glasshouse and that little theatre (forgot what it's called) that may not have been there with a bigger atrium.Never been on Arcadia but have sailed QE which I assume is a sister ship.I think the Atrium there is a good compromise.

Do you mean the Playhouse Cinema on Aurora?

The atrium on Arcadia is much smaller than the Grand Lobby on Queen Elizabeth but the plus point is that there is more bar/lounge space on Arcadia. The space in the Midships Bar and Cafe Carinthia on QE felt very limited to me and several times we found ourselves sitting by the railings in the Grand Lobby, which felt very detached. Arcadia has a large Piano Bar at the top of the small atrium plus the Spinnaker Bar where the Britannia Club is on QE and also the smaller Intermezzo Bar.

The Garden Lounge on QE is lovely but doesn't really feel like an evening venue. I must say however that the finish and general look of the interiors of QE are far superior.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wowzz said:

The two new Saga ships seem to epitomise classic cruising. Less than 1000 pax, a prom deck,  freedom dining, interesting itineraries- what's not to like?

Of course the fares are higher, but if you want classic cruising, it comes at a cost.

Fred Olsen too are still providing classic cruising on a fleet comprised of ships all smaller than P&O.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Good point,there are some nice venues on Aurora like Glasshouse and that little theatre (forgot what it's called) that may not have been there with a bigger atrium.Never been on Arcadia but have sailed QE which I assume is a sister ship.I think the Atrium there is a good compromise.

Arcadia is nothing like QE and the atrium on Arcadia is virtually non existent.

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Do you mean the Playhouse Cinema on Aurora?

The atrium on Arcadia is much smaller than the Grand Lobby on Queen Elizabeth but the plus point is that there is more bar/lounge space on Arcadia. The space in the Midships Bar and Cafe Carinthia on QE felt very limited to me and several times we found ourselves sitting by the railings in the Grand Lobby, which felt very detached. Arcadia has a large Piano Bar at the top of the small atrium plus the Spinnaker Bar where the Britannia Club is on QE and also the smaller Intermezzo Bar.

The Garden Lounge on QE is lovely but doesn't really feel like an evening venue. I must say however that the finish and general look of the interiors of QE are far superior.

That's the one,they had guest speakers in there as well.Cheers for info even though the ship might have sailed,lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

Arcadia is nothing like QE and the atrium on Arcadia is virtually non existent.

Isn't it a Vista class that was originally earmarked for Cunard.As I said,I was assuming.

4 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Isn't it a Vista class that was originally earmarked for Cunard.As I said,I was assuming.

It is indeed a Vista Class. Originally she was bound for Holland America Line but they didn't want her so she was then slated to become Queen Victoria. I was told that Cunard wanted more/different Suite configuration, so she was passed to P&O instead. Just as well for those of us who prefer small to mid-size ships as I suspect Carnival would have put another Grand Class ship into P&O.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

What suits one doesn't necessarily suit another for individual personal reasons. We prefer the two smaller ships left in P&O 's fleet, and we have our likes and dislikes about each of them. You'll never find perfection. (Believe me, I've looked)😆

Avril 

You haven't met me Avril 😉

Edited by besberry
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, brian1 said:

Yes but like previously said after being passed from HA to Cunard and then P&O before and during build interior she is nothing like QE.

11 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Yes but like previously said after being passed from HA to Cunard and then P&O before and during build interior she is nothing like QE.

Not been on a HAL Vista ship, but from looking at their deck plans they seem more like Arcadia than the little Queens.

9 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Got it.Cheers.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, brian1 said:

Got it.Cheers.

Whilst they look and feel like completely different ships, there is a lot of similarity in the basic layouts of the two ships. The following public rooms are located in the same places on Arcadia/QE:

Deck 10 - Crows Nest/Commodore Club

Deck 9  -  Spa/Two Pools & buffet restaurant

Deck 3 - 1 - Theatre

Deck 3  -. Piano Bar/Midships Bar and the Photo Gallery

Deck 2  -. Rising Sun/Golden Lion, Intermezzo Bar/Cafe Carinthia Bar, Ocean Grill/Verandah Restaurant

Deck 3-2 - Main Dining Room

Deck 1  -  Reception, Tours Desk & Cruise Sales.

So there is a familiarity to much of the layout but as I said, you don't think you are on sister ships when on board. Personally, I would say that I like Arcadia but love QE.

• Like 2

Someone explain to me this need for a special atrium.  I don't get it.  Not being rude at all, but how much time do you actually spend in an Atrium?  I'm not sure I have ever noticed the Atrium at all on any ship.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Someone explain to me this need for a special atrium.  I don't get it.  Not being rude at all, but how much time do you actually spend in an Atrium?  I'm not sure I have ever noticed the Atrium at all on any ship.

I have never spent much time in the atrium but when I have passed through I have noticed that quite a lot of people seem to sit there ( people watching possibly ).  I prefer somewhere quieter like our balcony.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Totally agree Jean. Oriana had a small atrium and a lovely big bar at the top - Tiffany's (lovely evenings in there with the three of you!). Arcadia has a small atrium with a good-sized bar at the top - The Piano Bar. Azura has a large atrium with a nice bar at the top - The Blue Bar - but it is quite small and in my limited experience, almost impossible to get a seat in.

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

I like a reasonably glitzy atrium with plenty of bars, eateries and seating areas to people watch. Not too bothered about having lots of shops  but they do help with the people watching.

Ships without one do feel to be lacking that little bit of glamour, and end up looking boring and tired, just my opinion of course.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Britboys said:

Whilst they look and feel like completely different ships, there is a lot of similarity in the basic layouts of the two ships. The following public rooms are located in the same places on Arcadia/QE:

Deck 10 - Crows Nest/Commodore Club

Deck 9  -  Spa/Two Pools & buffet restaurant

Deck 3 - 1 - Theatre

Deck 3  -. Piano Bar/Midships Bar and the Photo Gallery

Deck 2  -. Rising Sun/Golden Lion, Intermezzo Bar/Cafe Carinthia Bar, Ocean Grill/Verandah Restaurant

Deck 3-2 - Main Dining Room

Deck 1  -  Reception, Tours Desk & Cruise Sales.

So there is a familiarity to much of the layout but as I said, you don't think you are on sister ships when on board. Personally, I would say that I like Arcadia but love QE.

My favourite on QE was the picture window in the sauna.

5 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

I have seen people say, they don't like a ship because it has no atrium!!  Weird.

Totally agree. If you want a shopping mall experience, fine, but seriously  - a big empty space with fancy lifts and lots of stairs going nowhere.  What's the point of it?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I like a reasonably glitzy atrium with plenty of bars, eateries and seating areas to people watch. Not too bothered about having lots of shops  but they do help with the people watching.

Ships without one do feel to be lacking that little bit of glamour, and end up looking boring and tired, just my opinion of course.

I think I agree John, although Aurora is our favourite ship, despite having no Atrium. 

Sitting outside the Glasshouse on Britannia before dinner with a pint of Peroni, watching the women all dressed up adjusting their underwear before entering the restaurants as if they are invisible is the highlight of my holday😊

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I think I agree John, although Aurora is our favourite ship, despite having no Atrium. 

Sitting outside the Glasshouse on Britannia before dinner with a pint of Peroni, watching the women all dressed up adjusting their underwear before entering the restaurants as if they are invisible is the highlight of my holday😊

Andy 

Calm down Andy, I can feel your blood pressure rising from here. Maybe the Peroni has a calming effect although why you should be drinking a Peroni in what effectively is a wine bar (and a good one at that) escapes me.😇

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Calm down Andy, I can feel your blood pressure rising from here. Maybe the Peroni has a calming effect although why you should be drinking a Peroni in what effectively is a wine bar (and a good one at that) escapes me.😇

I'm not in the Glasshouse, just outside really. 

Michelle will have a Bellini or something, that's got wine in it so we do qualify... 

Andy 

52 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

The Ole Lady goes Commando...

• Haha 2