Norwegian Reclaiming Loyalty Points On Cancelled Cruises

gravitar

So someone who had taken one cruise could become platinum by continuously scheduling cruises right after the most recent cancel date and keep doing that from April until November using FCC.  Nice giveaway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, mugtech said:

So someone who had taken one cruise could become platinum by continuously scheduling cruises right after the most recent cancel date and keep doing that from April until November using FCC.  Nice giveaway.

I agree, it shouldn't be expected. I have only had one NCL 7 day cruise cancelled but I am expecting to lose another one and a 14 day TA before this is over. The TA was booked as an Insider Offer, so for that and the other two it would have given me an extra 42 Latitudes points without me even getting to the port.  It would have been nice though because I'm only 5 points shy of silver at the moment.

I wish they would let me go so I could earn the points properly

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 9:33 AM, gravitar said:

Didn't see this posted yet

https://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-reclaiming-rewards-points-on-cancelled-cruises/

Although most Norwegian Cruise Line guests received Latitudes rewards points for sailings that were cancelled by the industry-wide shutdown, those points will soon be reclaimed by the company.

it was obvious they were going to do this, nothing is for free.

• Like 1

I really don't care if they take the points away, cruise was canceled, did not earn it, by all means do what you must. Considering the loyalty program perks have been diminished through the years is pretty much worthless. Now, imagine if NCL goes under, those point will be worth even less. LOL

Edited by spanishguy1970
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

I wish they would let me go so I could earn the points properly

So true......we all would love to be onboard.....😉 

Edited by jaja
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

How about putting ridiculous restrictions on people who wanted refunds - they only had a very specific few dates to request it and if you missed those dates you were out of luck; taking more than 90 days to issue refunds; cancelling in small batches leaving people in limbo for months; raising prices substantially so that 125% plus 20% discount you got still didn't pay for an equivalent cruise the next year... 

I"m not saying they did anything "wrong" or anything different than most other cruise companies. Although some did more and some did better. The cruise industry as a whole is certainly hurting. And many customers feel negatively towards them due to losing a vacation they were looking forward to, increased prices, and slow refunds.  They should be doing EVERYTHING in their power to encourage people to return to them in the future. A small bump up in loyalty points is a tiny price to pay in terms of good will for customers to remain loyal. Not saying they have to. Just that it would be good business to do it.  Celebrity, for example, has been offering loyalty points via e-mail offers to their customers so they can continue building points when there are no cruises occurring. 

There were no restrictions on electing the refund when my cruise was cancelled.  Was straightforward.  I chose the FCC though, and you are not accurate in saying that the cruise prices rose to the extent that the FCC + 20% didnt cover a comparable cruise in the future.  It covers it and more.  Indeed, I purchased the exact cruise (same port, only difference was Getaway instead of Breakaway), on the exact week in 2021, with the exact cabin (spa mini-suite), along with all of the the same perks, specialty dining, drinks package, excursions, with the FCC, then prepaid all gratuities, added unlimited streaming internet, and got an added $200 on board credit, and still have about $200 FCC left.  Promotions change, but we took advantage of what was offered right when it was offered, and are more than satisfied with the deal we got. 

I have not gotten the impression since the beginning that NCL has been anything less than fair with its customers regarding the covid-19 circumstances.  In fact, the cruise industry has had to deal with covid-19 repercussions worse than probably any other business in the world, and has been kicked around unfairly in my mind, left to gravel and kiss a$$ to government agencies looking for scapegoats; yet NCL and the other lines have taken the beating with barely a whimper, all while fighting to keep heads above water.  I am impressed that they seem to have paid refunds as promply as they did, given the complete loss of revenue, and ongoing operating expenses.  NCL didn't kill the cruise you paid for--your government did.  NCL was just left to handle the situation; all while maintaining its business so that it would survive and be able to go forward in the future. 

Still amazes me that there were so many folks here who seemed in somewhat crisis mode while waiting a refund of a cancelled cruise.  I honestly assumed that people who make the decision to purchase a cruise have contemplated how the cost of that cruise might effect them financially, and wouldn't decide to cruise if it left them in peril, or even paycheck to paycheck.  That money, and more, would have been gone if the cruise hadn't been cancelled, but many here made it sound like the 90 day wait would send their families to the cheese line.  My conclusions are not the talk of snobbery (as I dont live lavishly), but rather a respect for budgeting and self-responsibility.

There are several fair criticisms I have had and heard about NCL over the years, but its post-covid response isnt one of them.

• Like 5

Well....this took an awfully long time to 'correct'.  What they should do is award the points you paid for...as a good will gesture.  Meaning, if you took the FCC you keep the points.  But a future no-cash cruise wouldn't qualify for points.

This is similar enough to how the airlines award miles now, based on revenue.  With Award flights not earning miles or points.

Yes, it's personal this time since this situation bumped me to Plat.  I think I would have made it anyway on my next cruise with the double point promo but still.

18 minutes ago, brovol said:

There were no restrictions on electing the refund when my cruise was cancelled.  Was straightforward.  I chose the FCC though, and you are not accurate in saying that the cruise prices rose to the extent that the FCC + 20% didnt cover a comparable cruise in the future.  It covers it and more.  Indeed, I purchased the exact cruise (same port, only difference was Getaway instead of Breakaway), on the exact week in 2021, with the exact cabin (spa mini-suite), along with all of the the same perks, specialty dining, drinks package, excursions, with the FCC, then prepaid all gratuities, added unlimited streaming internet, and got an added $200 on board credit, and still have about $200 FCC left.  Promotions change, but we took advantage of what was offered right when it was offered, and are more than satisfied with the deal we got. 

I have not gotten the impression since the beginning that NCL has been anything less than fair with its customers regarding the covid-19 circumstances.  In fact, the cruise industry has had to deal with covid-19 repercussions worse than probably any other business in the world, and has been kicked around unfairly in my mind, left to gravel and kiss a$$ to government agencies looking for scapegoats; yet NCL and the other lines have taken the beating with barely a whimper, all while fighting to keep heads above water.  I am impressed that they seem to have paid refunds as promply as they did, given the complete loss of revenue, and ongoing operating expenses.  NCL didn't kill the cruise you paid for--your government did.  NCL was just left to handle the situation; all while maintaining its business so that it would survive and be able to go forward in the future. 

Still amazes me that there were so many folks here who seemed in somewhat crisis mode while waiting a refund of a cancelled cruise.  I honestly assumed that people who make the decision to purchase a cruise have contemplated how the cost of that cruise might effect them financially, and wouldn't decide to cruise if it left them in peril, or even paycheck to paycheck.  That money, and more, would have been gone if the cruise hadn't been cancelled, but many here made it sound like the 90 day wait would send their families to the cheese line.  My conclusions are not the talk of snobbery (as I dont live lavishly), but rather a respect for budgeting and self-responsibility.

There are several fair criticisms I have had and heard about NCL over the years, but its post-covid response isnt one of them.

Your experience seems to be in the minority based on the number of people posting in recent threads about having a cruise canceled for October but they can't request a refund until on specific week in the future and if they miss that week they are out of luck; oh, and then the 90 days starts then so it's really going to be months before they get a refund. I find it awfully suspicious that they picked 90 days as the refund date. I think alot of credit cards limit the time you have to file a dispute and I wonder if they are hoping that if they can get people to wait the 90 days they will time out on the option for a credit card dispute and therefore are stuck with FCC when they never get a refund. Everything about how they have handled this seems incredibly shady....

My two favorite cruise lines are Norweigan and Celebrity. I had a slight preference for Norwegian before this but seeing as the difference in how the two have handled it; Celebrity is more likely to get my business now. No shady refund practices, allowing you to "life and shift" your cruise to a future date for no extra cost, even if they haven't canceled your cruise yet.  the goodwill gesture of creating a way for cruisers to earn loyalty points when they are shut down is only icing on the cake. But it is a nice gesture. 

Edited by sanger727

ive commented twice already on this thread, and i promise this will be my last comment on the subject.

to the person that brought up the raise issue, that's a completely inaccurate analogy. the raise was probably given out intentionally. the latitude points were issued by "MISTAKE"  cant  you see the difference.

the latitude program in itself is a promotional tool. it doesnt cost anything to join and you accumulate points by cruising, not by merely "BOOKING"

get off your ridiculous sense of entitlement. you didnt cruise you dont get the points. it's that simple.  book a new cruise, sail away to whatever location it may take you to, enjoy the vibes and "FAAGADABOUTT IT.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Heather1972 said:

Would have been a nice gesture to those who took the FCC. Maybe they will change their minds. Who knows. 

Would those people be ok if they didn't get latitudes points for their next cruise because they already received points OR would they expect points for that cruise, too?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

to the person that brought up the raise issue, that's a completely inaccurate analogy. the raise was probably given out intentionally. the latitude points were issued by "MISTAKE"  cant  you see the difference.

Did you even read the post that you're commenting on? The poster specifically stated in the analogy that the raise was a mistake as evidenced by the words "error" and "enearned". How can you read that and reach the conclusion that it was "probably given out intentionally"? It would appear that it is YOU that can't see the difference.

20 hours ago, complawyer said:

it's absolutely amazing that so many of you are upset because points you were never entitled have been taken away.  why do you think its a good will gesture to give people what they didnt earn. besides how many people actually benefited with the increase in points moving them up to a higher level?  the 36 points i would have earned for my 18 day cruise in a 2 bedroom suite would have given me a total of 232 points, still 468 short of ambassador status. if i were to take 2, 14 day cruises per year and stayed only in a suite, after 8 years i'd still be 18 points short. if i live that long in 8 years i'll be 80 years old. i hope if i live that long i can still function well enough to cruise.

bottom line, you really didnt earn those points, so in reality you have lost absolutely nothing. 

fyi even at platinum plus level, the only thing i appreciate is the extra free bag of laundry and the extra 15% off cruise excursions. with the $50.00 off, with free at sea and the 15% it saves us some money. i'm not a wine drinker and i'm on vacation so i really dont need or use the  wi-fi.

just hope all this crap lifts soon, book your next cruise get on board and enjoy, we're already booked onthe 10 days from athens in march and the 10 days from amsterdam in july. by the way this will give me an additional 40 points

For what its worth.....I hope that you are still spry and are able to sail at 80!  I'll cheer for you to become Ambassador!

And we ALL hope that cruising and the world can get back to some semblance of order SOON!

9 hours ago, vince_g said:

Not true.  The rest of the community is not fine with it.  Just didn't think it was important enough to post on, until I saw your comment.

Lol, Oh No!  The Horror!  Some People might be getting a 15 percent discount off junk jewelry that is marked up 200 percent over land prices when they should only be getting a 10 percent discount! Lol this board.  

Edited by Fido Chuckwagon

6 hours ago, mugtech said:

Still a pretty dumb gamble on that person’s part since both the cruise certificate and the points are going to be worthless sometime in 2021.  Seems like offering a worthless points program to a person willing to give them an interest free unsecured loan would be pretty smart on NCL’s part.  

Edited by Fido Chuckwagon
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, brovol said:

I have not gotten the impression since the beginning that NCL has been anything less than fair with its customers regarding the covid-19 circumstances.

You must not be paying close enough attention, then. The Federal Maritime Commission is considering regulations regarding cruise refunds due to number of complaints they've received from consumers. They've openly stated there is room for improvement here. And not just NCL, but across the industry.

9 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

You must not be paying close enough attention, then. The Federal Maritime Commission is considering regulations regarding cruise refunds due to number of complaints they've received from consumers. They've openly stated there is room for improvement here. And not just NCL, but across the industry.

Who cares what some federal commission thinks?  More government overregulation of private enterprise.  The market corrects these things on its own.  If a cruise lines refund practice is bad, it will lose business.  People think the government is the solution to all their challenges.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brovol said:

Who cares what some federal commission thinks?  More government overregulation of private enterprise.  The market corrects these things on its own.  If a cruise lines refund practice is bad, it will lose business.  People think the government is the solution to all their challenges.  

You don't have to like it. If they enact regulations the cruise lines are subject to it. Look, if you want to turn a blind eye and deaf ear to it, go ahead, but don't come on here suggesting NCL is being fair with it's customers. Their unethical behavior is not going unnoticed. Well, at least by most fair minded people.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

Sometimes companies recognise a good opportunity when it occurs. Like cathay pacific in 2019. I still remembered it even though I didn't book one of the tickets. So I am sure a creative marketing and PR department at NCL could have used that for something very valuable:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46732952

Last year Royal Caribbean had a glitch on their beverage package, they honored the $18.00 a day and wrote a clever email about how they were going to go drown their sorrows while everyone else enjoyed the cheap booze package. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brovol said:

Lol at making a “the markets correct everything!” argument during a pandemic, which is like the best evidence you will ever have that the markets do not, in fact, correct everything.  

• Like 2