Carnival update

Bin man

2 hours ago, Cathygh said:

One of the worst I have had is on Cunard. Scones with no flavour. A few months ago Cunard posted the recipe in one of their newsletters. So bland, but the Americans love them. M&S is terrible too. One of the best I had was at Lainston House. It's near Winchester so if you can ever come to Southampton to cruise again you could try it but book in advance. Sometimes the best ones are to be found in a local indie cafe, with fresh locally made bread, home made cakes/ patisserie and of course scones. 

Now cream or jam first anyone?

Cathy

Thanks.

I have put that name in my diary for next time we come down to Southampton.

Graham

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

Me too, and will attempt to trump you by throwing in Tetracyclines and Erythromycin!

That's a bummer for you as Erythromycin is usually an alternative although it is prone to giving people upset stomachs.

2 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Now jam or cream or jam first anyone?

Jam first and a big dollop of clotted cream on top😊.

As for the scones - freshly made homemade using James Martin's recipe, topped with Pimms preserve (we're addicted) and clotted cream. Mmm😋😋

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Jam first and a big dollop of clotted cream on top😊.

As for the scones - freshly made homemade using James Martin's recipe, topped with Pimms preserve (we're addicted) and clotted cream. Mmm😋😋

Avril 

Weirdo!!! 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of the worst I have had is on Cunard. Scones with no flavour. A few months ago Cunard posted the recipe in one of their newsletters. So bland, but the Americans love them. M&S is terrible too. One of the best I had was at Lainston House. It's near Winchester so if you can ever come to Southampton to cruise again you could try it but book in advance. Sometimes the best ones are to be found in a local indie cafe, with fresh locally made bread, home made cakes/ patisserie and of course scones. 
Cathy

As a regular visitor to Devon I would say cream first [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Jam first, then cream.

No, no, no... 😊

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Nope, cream first is very peculiar!!!!

No John, cream is the butter in this particular sandwich. 

You wouldnt put the jam on before the butter on a jam sandwich? 

I worry about you lot😊

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Nope, cream first is very peculiar!!!!

And deadly. I've tried both versions. Sat in a lovely little tea room in Dawlish I sliced my scone, liberally spread it with cream and a generous amount of jam. Lifted it to my mouth and the jam slid off straight down the front of my top.  So jam first from then on. It's much safer and less embarrassing. 😶 By the way , the Queen puts jam, excuse me, conserve first. 😜

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
Added text
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

And deadly. I've tried both versions. Sat in a lovely little tea room in Dawlish I sliced my scone, liberally spread it with cream and a generous amount of jam. Lifted it to my mouth and the jam slid off straight down the front of my top.  So jam first from then on. It's much safer and less embarrassing. 😶 By the way , the Queen puts jam, excuse me, conserve first. 😜

Avril 

Didn't know you had been to afternoon tea with the Queen Avril? 

Talking about Weirdos, where do you want to start with the Royals!!! 😊

Andy 

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

That's a bummer for you as Erythromycin is usually an alternative although it is prone to giving people upset stomachs.

I try to stay reasonably fit and have been lucky with my health. I've had one sick note in my life (chickenpox) and only one full day off sick in my last 11 years of employment. Worse thing was not being able to have injections at the dentist for fillings when I was a kid!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Didn't know you had been to afternoon tea with the Queen Avril? 

Talking about Weirdos, where do you want to start with the Royals!!! 😊

Andy 

We tried to but she wouldn't let us in. I can't understand why. I mean , I'd taken my curlers out for once and Frank had a shave. I banged on the door for ages and Frank lost his voice with shouting and whistling through the letter box. You'd think royalty would have better manners wouldn’t you?   Anyway, in the end these nice men dressed in funny clothes came and ordered a car to take us home. Never been in a police car before. It was an interesting day all round.😆

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Cream first of course Cathy, I'm not a weirdo...😊 

We had a fairly poor experience at Lainston House on my birthday last year. 

They had a large shooting party in, so service was poor and the food was just about average, we have had better on P&O... 

We enjoyed seeing the birds of prey though. 

Andy 

Hi Andy

I prefer cream first too. Shame about the food at Lainston House. I can't comment on the meals only the tea. It's been a while since I've been so I must go again soon

Cathy

Edited by Cathygh
correct spelling
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, happy v said:

Definitely jam first. You can't spread jam onto cream.

OK I admit I am totally bragging, no excuse at all! 😀 I have had tea with the Queen. She puts on a pretty good spread.

Now that's a name drop.. 😊

Still cream first... 

Andy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happy v said:

Definitely jam first. You can't spread jam onto cream.

OK I admit I am totally bragging, no excuse at all! 😀 I have had tea with the Queen. She puts on a pretty good spread.

If in Devon it is cream first, if in Cornwall it is jam first. Anywhere else, who cares, it tastes the same either way!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DamianG said:

I try to stay reasonably fit and have been lucky with my health. I've had one sick note in my life (chickenpox) and only one full day off sick in my last 11 years of employment. Worse thing was not being able to have injections at the dentist for fillings when I was a kid!

The dentist used to give us gas when I was a kid.

11 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Cathy

Yes, despite all the claims of British Heritage, Cunard is now designed for Americans. Clotted cream is not always easy to get but 'whipped cream' a la USA is...

The best Scones & Clotted Cream I have had at sea was, bizarrely, on Marella. Only served in the buffet (well, on my one and only cruise with them) they served full-sized scones, set out beside a vat of clotted cream and a vat of strawberry jam. No finesse at all but very tasty.

One very memorable cream tea I have had was in Babbacombe, Devon. They had a number of alternative scones on offer and I had the Ginger option. Scones with chunks of ginger in, served with stem ginger preserve. Gorge-ous!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Yes, despite all the claims of British Heritage, Cunard is now designed for Americans. Clotted cream is not always easy to get but 'whipped cream' a la USA is...

The best Scones & Clotted Cream I have had at sea was, bizarrely, on Marella. Only served in the buffet (well, on my one and only cruise with them) they served full-sized scones, set out beside a vat of clotted cream and a vat of strawberry jam. No finesse at all but very tasty.

One very memorable cream tea I have had was in Babbacombe, Devon. They had a number of alternative scones on offer and I had the Ginger option. Scones with chunks of ginger in, served with stem ginger preserve. Gorge-ous!

Oooh ginger sounds interesting. I just think Cunard scones are really bland- a bit of spice or sour milk makes them delicious.