Carnival update

Bin man

19 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Or we could even ask how you say it 😳

Scone like gone

or

Scone like stone

*lights blue touch paper and retires to watch the fireworks* 🎆 

Scone like gone or my party trick doesn't work... 

I bet I can turn your pint into a cake.. 

Go on then.. 

Downs pint... 

Scone... 

So it has to be scone like gone... 😊

Andy 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Interesting read. I think it applies to the starting 'experimental' cruises and there is no mention of testing? What it does say is if you travel from a high risk area as designated by the German government you will not be allowed to board and that restriction is applied from 30 days before the cruise departs. A bit like our air bridges, here today gone tomorrow.

Yes, that's how I understand it. It refers to the 'Blue Cruises', which are the short scenic cruises with no ports. It'd be a lot more complicated if it was a  normal cruise with ports 

24 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Its Stone for me too.

I feel they should only be eaten with a cup of tea.    Definitely not coffee or beer.  Any thoughts???😊

Definitely stone from me too. However, as I can't stand the smell or taste of tea, with the exception of green tea, it has to be coffee I'm  afraid. Never beer or any cold drink.

Avril 

3 hours ago, Oulton Jim said:

Hello from Oulton [Broad]! 

-from what I hear your father was cared for in a lovely place. It is less than a mile from where we live which is equidistant from the Broads and from a blue flag beach. 

Grapau I think we must all be thinking the same. Jim.

You are right Jim.

If all goes well it may hasten the restart of cruising elsewhere.

Graham

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

It's not too late to have your say in the 'Great Scone Debate' Depends whose side your on though 😁

Avril 

Ha ha! Definitely jam first then cream on top for us. We wouldn’t be allowed back in to Cornwall again if we put the cream on first🤣😇

And I ‘m afraid it’s scone as in gone for me (I’ll run and hide now)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

Ha ha! Definitely jam first then cream on top for us. We wouldn’t be allowed back in to Cornwall again if we put the cream on first🤣😇

And I ‘m afraid it’s scone as in gone for me (I’ll run and hide now)

Scon as in gone up here with a cup of Earl Grey tea.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

Its Stone for me too.

15 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

And I ‘m afraid it’s scone as in gone for me 

Doesn't it make you wonder why we all seem to pronounce it differently? The quirks in the English language never fails to fascinate me😊

Avril 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Doesn't it make you wonder why we all seem to pronounce it differently? The quirks in the English language never fails to fascinate me😊

Avril 

Indeed - how do you say "bath" for example? 

"Barth", as in scarf, or "Bath" as in caff.

12 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Definitely 'Barth' .Although I haven't lived in the south for over 40 years and people would probably say my accent is more northern than southern 'Bath' and 'Grass' just don't sound right. My husband (also originally from the south)still says 'Barth' but our children (and my Mum who originates from the north)say 'Bath' as in caff. In fact I can't win as  southerners I meet seem to think I have a northern accent whereas northerners think I come from the south!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you.

38 years loyal service as a civil servant.

Fantastic. My sister went once for her work in education but she was a bit upset she couldn’t take her husband and she didn’t tell us much about it!

• Like 1

My grandad who was a Devonian always insisted that the clotted cream went under the jam because as he said the jam always goes on top of the fat layer whether it was a scone (stone), a piece of toast or a jam sandwich.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Barth for me too as I’m a Southerner. A friend of mine who’s originally from Liverpool always moans I’m saying it wrong. I just tell her it’s just the way we were brought up down here! 😁

23 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Definitely 'Barth' .Although I haven't lived in the south for over 40 years and people would probably say my accent is more northern than southern 'Bath' and 'Grass' just don't sound right. My husband (also originally from the south)still says 'Barth' but our children (and my Mum who originates from the north)say 'Bath' as in caff. In fact I can't win as  southerners I meet seem to think I have a northern accent whereas northerners think I come from the south!!

My friend from Liverpool who’s lived down here since she was 12 says the same! She says up North they think she’s sounds posh - we all fell about 😂

2 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Barth for me too as I’m a Southerner. A friend of mine who’s originally from Liverpool always moans I’m saying it wrong. I just tell her it’s just the way we were brought up down here! 😁

Same for me. I’m a southerner through and through.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ann141 said:

You sound like me Ann. All my family originate from Middlesex and I was about 12 when we moved North. Mum and Dad never lost their accent, it was always barth, cap (cup) grarss etc. My first few weeks in a new school were purgatory as you can imagine. Now my name is pronounced Ayvreel but it quickly became Avril as well bath, cup, and grass. Never picked up the typical Barnsley though. Still door not dooa, stone not stooan,  water not watter and coat not coit, isn't not int,  always sounded my aitches so on. So I'm probably a mongrel with my own accent that doesn't fit anywhere really.😆

Avril 

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Fantastic. My sister went once for her work in education but she was a bit upset she couldn’t take her husband and she didn’t tell us much about it!

My brother goes to a couple a year - getting information is like pulling teeth, so perhaps Graham can fill us in.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

We traveled down by train and stayed 2 nights in a hotel.