MSC GRANDIOSA - 8/16/2020 - Anyone Live?

Formula280SS

12 hours ago, ChC said:

One of my family members studies in US. The news two months ago was that US will not renew his student visa if the university has gone totally online or 80% online (I can't remember exactly). And those in the USA now has to leave before a certain date if their college or university is not open for real classes at a percentage. You could google it if you are interested. But I was shocked when I saw the screenshot he showed me on the legislative change. Thus it is understandable why colleges are opening in order to keep the foreign students who are paying big money.

I think it may have been pulled at the last minute as it was going to impact some my family and they are OK now

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ChC said:

One of my family members studies in US. The news two months ago was that US will not renew his student visa if the university has gone totally online or 80% online (I can't remember exactly). And those in the USA now has to leave before a certain date if their college or university is not open for real classes at a percentage. You could google it if you are interested. But I was shocked when I saw the screenshot he showed me on the legislative change. Thus it is understandable why colleges are opening in order to keep the foreign students who are paying big money.

Your family member can relax.  The ICE rescinded that policy on July 14th.  The current policy states that "international students who "were actively enrolled" at a school in the U.S. on March 9 will not be affected."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ice-bans-new-international-students-enrolled-in-online-only-classes-from-entering-us-2020-07-24/

I am behind schedule today!  I found it interesting, last Friday, seeing the small numbers of passengers get off each tour bus, presumably for distancing.  I missed all that today, after oversleeping.  It was nice, as always, though, seeing her depart.

Port Workers in Venice Demonstrating To Get Ships Back

August 28, 2020

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23440-port-workers-in-venice-demonstrating-to-get-ships-back.html

Still a chance US cruising could resume in 2020, Donald says 

Anne Kalosh | Aug 28, 2020

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/environmental-health/still-chance-us-cruising-could-resume-2020-donald-says

Edited by Formula280SS
  • Like 1

Opera and Magnifica are not sailing from Venice until November, not sure why MSC had scheduled August to end of Oct from Trieste.  Anyway, it's only a few sailings last of September and October from Trieste for now.

On 8/25/2020 at 3:28 AM, oteixeira said:

Interesting....Thank God not in mine...The most we have is "recommendations" that the police can't really enforce, as you would need as many of them as their are people around the area to do it...

In the State of Victoria, Australia, Police are enforcing the mask laws, mandatory to wear them in public places, $200 fine.  Plenty getting fined.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

Port Workers in Venice Demonstrating To Get Ships Back

August 28, 2020

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23440-port-workers-in-venice-demonstrating-to-get-ships-back.html

Still a chance US cruising could resume in 2020, Donald says 

Anne Kalosh | Aug 28, 2020

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/environmental-health/still-chance-us-cruising-could-resume-2020-donald-says

How things change.  

12 months ago all the protests were about stopping cruise ships entering the lagoon.  I agreed with their concerns on environmental grounds, but was disappointed that our September cruise had a delayed departure and as a result missed out on visiting Kotor.  

TBH once I visited Venice I agreed that there were too many day trippers there.  It was at its best at either 8 am or 8 pm.  

This time last year who would have predicted this.   I suppose there might be similar grumbles in Barcelona and Dubrovnik, two other ports that suffer from over-tourism. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ollienbertsmum said:

How things change.  

12 months ago all the protests were about stopping cruise ships entering the lagoon.  I agreed with their concerns on environmental grounds, but was disappointed that our September cruise had a delayed departure and as a result missed out on visiting Kotor.  

TBH once I visited Venice I agreed that there were too many day trippers there.  It was at its best at either 8 am or 8 pm.  

This time last year who would have predicted this.   I suppose there might be similar grumbles in Barcelona and Dubrovnik, two other ports that suffer from over-tourism. 

After the 14 day pause to bend the curve, who'd have known that we'd be approaching September with so much world-wide economic collapse with no end in sight.  That's not a political statement.  

I've enjoyed this thread (the CC members that posted so maturely, great links and references to webcams on ships and ports, comments and interviews and videos, etc.) "so much" because it (MSC, Grandiosa, Italy, Malta, etc. and the selected passengers) was one of the few lights of hope that someday we can make it back to normal; even if it is a 'new normal as we are seeing re: the Grandiosa.

The economic impact on all tourist and vacation and travel destinations, by land, air and sea, around the globe, has been and will continue to be, devastating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

The economic impact on all tourist and vacation and travel destinations, by land, air and sea, around the globe, has been and will continue to be, devastating.

The economic impact has been devastating to so many industries and worse for the personal health of people in all countries. I certainly didn't envisage the scale and duration of the crisis when it started. A few weeks, maybe a few months, as it spread across the globe.  It's now 8 months and although there are some improvements it's still a significant crisis, which unfortunately doesn't feel any closer to ending.

Updated interview re: Grandiosa's successful cruises to date.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/how-msc-cruises-is-operating-safely-in-the-mediterranean.html

Has some content we found in this thread, also an affirmation that 90% of passengers from Italy on these early cruises.

Others ~

https://latteluxurynews.com/2020/09/02/msc-cruises-return-brings-renewed-confidence/

https://thepointsguy.com/news/msc-cruises-ship-grandiosa-covid-free/

Edited by Formula280SS
  • Like 2

Interesting the author, Claudia, states in Naples she took an MSC excursion to Capri rather than the only one shown on the MSC site that does a Naples bus tour and goes to Parco Virgiliano.  Hopefully those few, boring excursions listed are only the ones you get included with the "welcome" package and MSC is offering others once on the ship or booked.

It would seem that even the "Special one's" don't get on! From another MSC page.

And so, #MSCGrandiosa just left Genoa for another Mediterranean cruise.
This without our special Dutch reporter from Next.Cruise.
Our friend was denied boarding this afternoon. The mandatory tests which are obligated to take when you are still back home were negative and cleared by MSC in the Netherlands. When he presented himself at the ship this afternoon he was denied to board. His test and that one of his party was negative but his report wasn’t holding his name as the system in the Netherlands does not print the name due to privacy rules. MSC in the Netherlands is aware of this and said that the papers were ok to go. But not for MSC in Italy.
Our friend was even not allowed to do the tests at the ship. They only gave them the opportunity to drive to Rome by car or train to go to a local hospital for testing. If all the tests would come back negative they could consider to let them board at Civitavecchia tomorrow. Only if the local office says that they are ok to board.
We all can hope that #MSCCruises does the right thing tomorrow if the tests come back negative.
One lesson learned here for all future passengers, MAKE SURE THAT THE DOCUMENTS THAT YOU HAVE WITH YOU BARE YOUR NAME, even if MSC of your home country are saying that the papers are fine. NO NAME, NO SAIL FOR THE ITALIANS.

59 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

They have to be strict.  They, and all of the cruising industry, can not afford any slip ups.

Correct, MSC did the right thing on the day. The World is watching and MSC have to protect their business.

• Like 1

And it is just this ‘right thing’ that puts me off booking any of the great bargains that keep popping up in my inbox.  

I am such an over-planner and think about all the worst-case scenarios.  Being denied boarding seems to be one of those scenarios that is going to be more frequent.    

So it has cost me and DH £500 to arrive at the port (includes overnight stay and carparking at departure airport).  I have taken a week of my precious annual leave.  Then I am denied boarding.  

Not the fault of the cruise lines because the least they can do is ensure that no-one on the cruise is likely to spread COVID.    However I can’t be worrying about that, so I think my next few vacations will have to be ones that I can drive to.