Have We Gone On Our Last Cruise?

tlw440

49 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Considering Carnival mainly focuses on cruising from US ports, whatever happens with the port at Venice is not going to impact them too much. 

I would agree, but since I have a cruise booked on the Legend to go there......

30 minutes ago, ChC said:

You need to check your reference. I think back in Spring it is reported the cruise ship could no longer operate from Venice around the time when Venice had a flood. Many suspected that the accident MSC had in Venice pier was the last straw. I am afraid cruise ship docking in Venice is no more. Venice is not welcoming cruise ship as you said.

I was there on a cruise last year on a large ship.  I have two cruises to go there in 21 and 22 on large ships.  As I mentioned in my post, there is a love hate with cruising.  My reference is my experience, but check away. 

Health is certainly top priority. This certainly will not be our last cruises on Carnival. The US auto industry was bailed out even though we continue to produce substandard products. I can't remember a time when Carnival didn't provide my family and me with superior service and products.

Have Faith Family!!!  

• Like 1

The way things have been going since February, my DH and I probably took our last cruise on the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda in July of 2018.

Due to us being in the “vulnerable” age group with some health concerns, I can’t envision us as being comfortable going on a cruise any time soon.

We began cruising in 1987 with a cruise to the Bahamas on the Big Red Boat.

Since then,we have cruised to Alaska, many Caribbean islands, a Canada/New England itinerary, many times to Bermuda and a transatlantic voyage to England. We enjoyed all of them. However, our last cruise two years ago was our most disappointing. This was due to our pre-teenage grandson having extreme anxiety about being on the ship and my DH’s lack of patience for his behavior.

It saddens  me to think about that last cruise not being the pleasant family vacationed both my daughter and I had  envisioned. Maybe we will get a chance to have another more successful cruise in the future. But, the  situation regarding the Corona virus in our country,the US, needs to improve greatly before cruise lines return to offering cruise vacations IMHO.

• Like 2

I was debating on booking a hotel in Galveston for our Jan 2021 cruise but I REALLY don't think it's going to sail.  Even with a vaccine at the end of the year (hopeful) we won't know how effective it is.  I will wait for Carnival to cancel.  

Question.....if Carnival cancels, will I get the OBC as well?  I've never had a cruise canceled.  TIA

Per the above exchange for those Cruise Family members that don't reside in Florida this could certainly be a long drawn out episode. Carnival (non US Business Entity) indirectly attributes many dollars to our US economy. The passengers that choose to Cruise from a Florida port are generally flying in the day before (multi Airline ticket purchases and luggage fees), driving in within a reasonable distance (gasoline expenses, food, auto wear and tear), rental cars to both drive to the Cruise ports and/or rent when arriving at the Cruise City airports (added costs and possible tolls), Hotels for the stay prior to the Cruise (booking fees, food, parking if using the park and cruise options), getting to the ports (driving and/or booked transportation fees), possible parking at the terminal (added fees) and Post cruise return transportation and flights and/or driving back home. 

It's hard to believe with this type of revenue generation (past or potential) that the US would consider not assisting the Cruise Industry. That would be a hard jolt to the past "Partnering" that they have developed.       

20 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

I was debating on booking a hotel in Galveston for our Jan 2021 cruise but I REALLY don't think it's going to sail.  Even with a vaccine at the end of the year (hopeful) we won't know how effective it is.  I will wait for Carnival to cancel.  

Question.....if Carnival cancels, will I get the OBC as well?  I've never had a cruise canceled.  TIA

I've had two cruises cancelled.  Each time, I received an email informing me of the cancellation and explaining the option of obtaining a refund or receiving a FCC and OBC to rebook.  The amount of OBC for rebooking depends on the number of days of the cancelled cruise.  Since my first cancelled cruise was for 7 days, I was offered an OBC of $600 to rebook.

I rebooked my cancelled April cruise to a cruise in September that I had recently booked with just a deposit.  I was able to roll over the money I paid for my April cruise to my recently booked September cruise.  I also received a $600 OBC for doing this.  I did this by calling Carnival and everything was handled in one phone call.  I received a follow up email that day and it showed my OBC.  I was also able to log on to my account, print documents, and see my OBC.

When my September cruise was cancelled, I again received an email.  I called Carnival to process everything.  My September cruise was wiped out and I was able to roll the money I paid for that cruise to a recently booked (deposit only) cruise in January.  Since the January cruise was less expensive, I received a $120 OBC in addition to the $600 OBC.  I also received a refund of approximately $1,000 since my January cruise was so much less expensive.  I got that refund in less than two weeks.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

Per the above exchange for those Cruise Family members that don't reside in Florida this could certainly be a long drawn out episode. Carnival (non US Business Entity) indirectly attributes many dollars to our US economy. The passengers that choose to Cruise from a Florida port are generally flying in the day before (multi Airline ticket purchases and luggage fees), driving in within a reasonable distance (gasoline expenses, food, auto wear and tear), rental cars to both drive to the Cruise ports and/or rent when arriving at the Cruise City airports (added costs and possible tolls), Hotels for the stay prior to the Cruise (booking fees, food, parking if using the park and cruise options), getting to the ports (driving and/or booked transportation fees), possible parking at the terminal (added fees) and Post cruise return transportation and flights and/or driving back home. 

It's hard to believe with this type of revenue generation (past or potential) that the US would consider not assisting the Cruise Industry. That would be a hard jolt to the past "Partnering" that they have developed.       

I think you bring up a lot of good points in your post. However, my personal opinion as a taxpayer is the US government should not bail out a foreign business. As much as I like cruising, and that likely applies to everyone who posts on this site, I would rather see a cruise line go out of business than get bailed out by our government.  

In other posts you have mentioned how popular cruising is, which I agree with. I don’t think cruising is going away, but there could be big changes if current cruise lines are not allowed to resume operations in the not too distant future. I will continue to cruise at some point in the future when cruising resumes, even if I am cruising on Bill Gates Cruise Lines. 😊

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think you bring up a lot of good points in your post. However, my personal opinion as a taxpayer is the US government should not bail out a foreign business. As much as I like cruising, and that likely applies to everyone who posts on this site, I would rather see a cruise line go out of business than get bailed out by our government.  

In other posts you have mentioned how popular cruising is, which I agree with. I don’t think cruising is going away, but there could be big changes if current cruise lines are not allowed to resume operations in the not too distant future. I will continue to cruise at some point in the future when cruising resumes, even if I am cruising on Bill Gates Cruise Lines. 😊

I just remain very passionate about my family's vacation choice (Strictly Cruising). The revenue alone that we have helped generate as we have converted and/or initiated many cruisers over the years. Done without any compensation or worry (talk about free publicity). I am in favor of not just "generously" throwing a lifeline to any/all companies that run into financial hardships (some are vastly mismanaged). However, I am for the corporations that have and/or continue to contributed a "hefty historical" dollar amount to your country's bottom line profitability. If I had somehow lost money with Carnival, been unjustifiably denied boarding, had my deposits returned due to unknown reasons, not been rewarded for passenger loyalty (the old past guest parties), denied awards via our patronage and just told that my business was not needed then my feelings would possibly be altered. As long as they continue to follow the old and the new made rules and can return to "safely" cruising they deserve a "USA Red/White/Blue Life Vest".      

I couldn't care less if the cruise industry goes under. Many retailers and restaurants have gone under due to the virus and I expect some cruise lines will go under as well. I can't see how a cruise ship will ever be expected to have social distancing measures in place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChC said:

You missed all the news on Venice cruise fiasco. Your experience last year is irrelevant as the news emerged this year as I stated.

Also keep an eye on your 21 and 22 cruise. You ship will not rock in Venice proper itself any more as far as Venice locals concern. You will be more likely to dock in Ravenna or Trieste. Watch  MSC forum you will get more information on future Venice and cruiseship situation.

In the same time I am sharing the latest news published 22 hours ago for you to understand all the complications.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/13/venice-activists-plan-party-after-two-cruise-operators-pull-out

This will be my last post on this thread. I read the attached and still very much looking forward to my cruises that are going there.  

I was sad when “cruising” ended in the 60’s.  It took years before the industry reinvented itself.  I still remember the day I “discovered” the old SS France all blue and shiny in Miami after a 20 year “absence”.

thats what’s needed here.  I have a feeling cruising as we know it will lie dormant for quite a few years.  No one can spare a 14 day quarantine should even ONE passenger brings it on board.  We need to be vigilant and realistic.

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2020 at 5:09 AM, jimbo5544 said:

This will be my last post on this thread. I read the attached and still very much looking forward to my cruises that are going there.  

Blind Faith: belief in spite of evidence to the contrary. The World's religions love and depend on this human frailty. 🤣

7 minutes ago, glrounds said:

Blind Faith: belief in spite of evidence to the contrary. The World's religions love and depend on this human frailty. 🤣

Was a hell of a band also.  Whatever it is or called, I will be on a cruise ship with drink in hand by end of 1st qtr.  

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2020 at 11:10 AM, Je Souhaite said:

I was sad when “cruising” ended in the 60’s.  It took years before the industry reinvented itself.  I still remember the day I “discovered” the old SS France all blue and shiny in Miami after a 20 year “absence”.

thats what’s needed here.  I have a feeling cruising as we know it will lie dormant for quite a few years.  No one can spare a 14 day quarantine should even ONE passenger brings it on board.  We need to be vigilant and realistic.

Quarantine will be a Word in the dictionary  Y this time next year. 

On 8/13/2020 at 4:02 PM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Lol, Bill Gates cruise line, sounds.......well..... boring

On our last trip to Venice ,  last September , the city had started in August to control the cruise mob , Actually stopping entrances to certain San Marco Bridges and clearly going after sitting and eating on steps with tickets /fines.

On 8/9/2020 at 2:55 PM, Joebucks said:

Never say never. There is no point of drawing a line in the sand, especially for something you enjoy, when we don't know what the future holds.

Great reminder!

I had only put down $200.00 on a Mardi Gras cruise.  If I hang in there I'll get a $600.00 onboard credit.  I'm not giving up.  I don't think this industry will survive until we get a vaccine but it will happen.   We will survive this.

What does bother me are other people affected.  How in the world are the people who live on those Caribbean Islands making it?  They are almost 100% dependent on tourism, mostly cruises.  I can't imagine the poverty. It's such a shame. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, sapphire_407 said:

What does bother me are other people affected.  How in the world are the people who live on those Caribbean Islands making it?  They are almost 100% dependent on tourism, mostly cruises.  I can't imagine the poverty. It's such a shame. 

What about the multitude of people in your home country experiencing similar issues? Since you’re located in Florida, have you checked on your friends in the hospitality industry lately?

I had only put down $200.00 on a Mardi Gras cruise.  If I hang in there I'll get a $600.00 onboard credit.  I'm not giving up.  I don't think this industry will survive until we get a vaccine but it will happen.   We will survive this.

I have an Airbnb in the Smoky Mountains.  The minute North Carolina opened up I was swamped with bookings and still am through the end of December.  Trust me, people are antsy and want to get out there.  When the cruise lines open they will also be swamped with bookings.  If you can catch a deal right now go for it because they will be asking top dollar.