Have We Gone On Our Last Cruise?

tlw440

10 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Hopefully cruising isn't the highlight of the year, OMG.

For me it is.  I've been working at home alone since March 18.  My 50th HS reunion was postponed until next year.  All my family lives out of state and it's not safe to visit.  Everyone's situation is different.

• Like 5

I have a Journeys cruise booked for Feb 2022. I have not made any further payments though. I did add the drink package, because I have a feeling it and everything else will be going up. We will see what happens. Husband and I have both lost jobs due to COVID. at 72 and 68 it may be hard to find new ones. I know it feels like the world is spinning out of control, but I still trust that God is in control and has a plan for us. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

Will there even be cruises in the future?  How many cruise lines will go bankrupt during this mess?  At what point giving out the $3-600 incentive become not profitable for Carnival to continue cruising.

That's what makes me shake my head (300-600 OBC) , where do pax think that money will come from?

As always the consumer pays one way or the other. It's not free money.

Filing bankruptcy and reorganization just might be best for the cruiseline. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

Will there even be cruises in the future?  How many cruise lines will go bankrupt during this mess?  At what point giving out the $3-600 incentive become not profitable for Carnival to continue cruising.

Declaring bankruptcy is not necessarily the worst thing that could happen. While this would have a lot of negative impact (stock holders could lose everything and individuals may lose money spent on booking cruises), if cruise lines continue to remain idle for a long time, chapter 11 bankruptcy may be the only way a cruise line can survive. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Declaring bankruptcy is not necessarily the worst thing that could happen. While this would have a lot of negative impact (stock holders could lose everything and individuals may lose money spent on booking cruises), if cruise lines continue to remain idle for a long time, chapter 11 bankruptcy may be the only way a cruise line can survive. 

I can think of only worse thing.

I feel once the vaccine for COVID has been proven to work and is readily available we'll see our lives turning back to "near normal."  I also feel cruising will change.  No longer will the operators try to squeeze so many people in confined spaces.  Cruise lines may increase prices to make up for fewer passengers.  But who knows, if one of the many vaccines being developed truly works, maybe nothing changes (at least until the next bug turns up).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

Right now, I'm more concerned about flying than going on another cruise. Until this pandemic has ended (or comes very close to ending), there's a much greater chance of contracting the virus on an airplane than on a cruise ship. 

Will be interested to see the epidemiologists' reports and peer-reviewed scientific papers that support this claim. Please post the citations.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, beachbum53 said:

there's a much greater chance of contracting the virus on an airplane than on a cruise ship. 

Not true 

• Like 3

There is zero logical/scientific reason to conclude that cruising is extinct. (Cruise fans may feel depressed and disappointed, but - as always - that's irrelevant to the facts.)

However, it's increasingly obvious that old-style, large-scale mass market cruising is not going to work now or in the foreseeable future. All those who've relentlessly insisted otherwise since February may now apologize. (Crickets - what a surprise)

And it's absolutely certain to fail if the cruise line execs stick with the cheap/lazy route: Toss up some Purell stations, have crew do high-visibility performance cleaning, change see a couple buffet rooms, maybe 'recommend' masks and distancing, push temperature checks at boarding & then call it a day. Not remotely close to good enough.

Cruises lines can't even try - try - to restart now because CLIA has spent months in the dinosaur mode of "wait out the CDC, wait out the virus."

That won't work in either count. Time for the execs to actually do the work of developing expensive, difficult protocols ...

redesigning onboard operations ... investing in onboard medical care & international safety nets (including dedicated hospital ships if need be) ... and whatever else is needed to comprehensively address every concern the CDC explained back in March. 

All of that begins with a much greater degree of integrity, honesty, humility and genuine dedication than CLIA and the executives have ever exhibited.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

Nothing about COVID is peer reviewed. It's too soon. If people have a fear of flying during a pandemic, why would you try to shame them for this? That's what you're doing: shaming someone who isn't ready to fly anywhere. I'm in that boat. I would love nothing more than fly to Florida and wave at my dad from the parking lot of his assisted living facility, just the way we do when I leave after a visit. I am in no way ready to climb on a plane with 200 of my closest friends. Not yet. Are you going to shame me, too?  

These claims are, once again, uninformed and misleading.

-- Quality scientific research IS out there already. Start learning here.

https://www.nejm.org/coronavirus

-- The "shame" is earned by stating falsehoods as facts.

The first poster's assertion "There's a much greater chance of contracting the virus on an airplane than on a cruise ship" is untrue. The CDC will tell you as much. 
    (Now if someone is personally more afraid to fly than cruise, that's subjective opinion - and perfectly fine for them. No cause for shame or criticism.

But to phrase that fear as some universal fact, however, is deliberately spreading ignorance and misinformation.)

This is what we call the difference between "evidence" and "belief" or "opinion" .... the difference between "fact" vs. "feeling."

You're welcome.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, jakeT said:

There will be something , someday, to stop this virus.  Or a medication that will cut down the bad effects.  Things will go back to normal. Or near normal. Or a better new normal.  

I think it’s time to really think about how they pack every inch of a cruise ship with people .  Buffet, ect. 

There already is but it's not politically expedient.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

Will be interested to see the epidemiologists' reports and peer-reviewed scientific papers that support this claim. Please post the citations.

We're not university researchers, just people who like to cruise.  😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Sounds like you are throwing in the towel. Please don't. Cruising is a multi billion dollar business and growing. The best part is less that 30% of the total US population has ever cruised. That spells a bunch of "future and legacy" revenue for this Industry.   

There are not going anywhere anytime soon.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

Very sad indeed, the cruising experience which includes talking to you table neighbors, etc. is most likely over and a memory.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very good point, there are several people I have met on cruises who have very likely become lifetime friends. 

Especially those with ties to college football, which at the time of posting is considering cancelling. No cruising and college football...............wow.

Time will tell if I’m able to cruise again. I hope cruises start again in the near future!  However, I’m in the high risk category so it might not work for me but I hope lots of other healthy people will be able to enjoy cruising again. 

We will absolutely go on a cruise when the situation changes.  It is not just cruising that is impacted, it is many things we normally did in life in large crowds.  This will eventually get under control and we will move forward as a society.

• Like 2

Currently have B2B booked on the Breeze starting Nov. 21 - keeping fingers and toes crossed, it’s a 50th milestone as well as celebrations with good friends we’re cruising with.  Hope is tenuous, but not willing to give up till carnival sez so.  🤞

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roz said:

We're not university researchers, just people who like to cruise.  😜

You do not have to apologize for making posts here.  Just ignore those whom seem to bash and bully.  You also do not have to apologize for wanting to cruise again, the vast majority here do not have agendas and want trust the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's certainly a possibility that we've been on our last cruise.  Depending on how long the virus hangs around, whether community spread continues, if the cruise lines can wait out the suspension without going under.

It's also a possibility that we find vaccines and cures that relegate the virus to the history books and we can safely travel again.

However it plays out, we're glad we've been on over 50 cruises and have experienced land vacations in over 30 countries and numerous domestic locations.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Nothing about COVID is peer reviewed. It's too soon. If people have a fear of flying during a pandemic, why would you try to shame them for this? That's what you're doing: shaming someone who isn't ready to fly anywhere. I'm in that boat. I would love nothing more than fly to Florida and wave at my dad from the parking lot of his assisted living facility, just the way we do when I leave after a visit. I am in no way ready to climb on a plane with 200 of my closest friends. Not yet. Are you going to shame me, too?  

I'm not sure why anyone would shame someone who doesn't want to get on an airplane any time soon.  I get groceries and mail for two very high risk relatives, so I am more concerned about putting myself at unnecessary risk at this time.  I would love to travel right now, but my common sense tells me not just yet because of my personal situation.  

Everyone is different and that's ok.  My sister travelled to Vegas last month and is going to an all-inclusive this month.  She works from home and doesn't  take care of older relatives, so she has no problem quarantining for 14 days after she gets home.