Would you take a COVID test in order to cruise?

Would you take a COVID test in order to cruise?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take a COVID test in order to cruise

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Test timing will be interesting if tests are required. I can see people getting tested and not getting the results back in time

TRUE, 

ALSO, a test only gives certain information for just that one little instant in time.

A negative result means only one thing. It means at that instant in time there are not ENOUGH antigens or enough of a  viral load to be detected. 

• Like 2

AND how will the timing of the tests work?  I believe I saw someone wanted them done within 72 hours .  Not to mention you don't know that you would get them back in time but also what if a holiday falls during those 72 hours and all processing places would be closed.  Lots of ??? with no answers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

AND how will the timing of the tests work?  I believe I saw someone wanted them done within 72 hours .  Not to mention you don't know that you would get them back in time but also what if a holiday falls during those 72 hours and all processing places would be closed.  Lots of ??? with no answers

I believe LOTS of changes to testing by the time any large cruise ships depart or port in the US. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

CDC asked for the plan but the Cruise lines seem to be ignoring.

I don't think it's ignoring - for RCG and NCL, the detailed plan won't be available till their health panel comes up with it.

• Like 1

Just now, Biker19 said:

I don't think it's ignoring - for RCG and NCL, the detailed plan won't be available till their health panel comes up with it.

They have sure been taking their time. But you are right, what they do once on is known infected on a ship is critical. Lots of things to consider. Facilities, Medical Staff, Treatment, and do they attempt to offload the sick into US Ports. This is just a few. 

M8

• Like 1

Getting back to the Original Post - "should people be tested  before boarding"?

Kind of useless if the next day the ship stops at it's first port of call and one person gets infected and brings it on the ship.   Can't see them testing after each port stop.  Even if the new 5 minute quick test, that's a long time per passenger to be standing around outside the ship waiting.

A two week Carib or Med cruise may have 10 or 12 port stops

48 minutes ago, molly361 said:

The whole timing of the tests is difficult.  Our state requires you to have a test within 72 hours if you are visiting or if you have traveled to a state outside the "safe" states.  My son went away for the weekend and is required to have a test within 72 hours or quarantine for 14 days if he wants to go back to work.  If he was tested on Friday, before he left, that would have been within the 72 hour window.  His work won't pay for his test and he doesn't want to either, so he is working from home, but how many would have had the test prior to leaving and submitted it as proof they are negative?  I bet some out there would.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, M&A said:

Getting back to the Original Post - "should people be tested  before boarding"?

The Original is, "Would you take a COVID test in order to cruise."

And although testing for Covid makes little sense for reasons you have stated,

my answer is YES, WHY NOT...

9 hours ago, molly361 said:

And, that's the biggest issue.  Getting a test done within a certain amount of time and having the results back.  Short of the cruiseline giving the tests, there's no way this could work.

At this point I’m a No.  Timing is one thing,.  I can test negative and get it on the way to the ship.  The 72 hour thing makes no sense to me.  And there are false positives and false negatives.  

Who’s going to pay for the trip you can’t take at the last minute?   Very few insurance companies have covid policies. If they did quick tests at embarking I’d be a nervous wreak even if I felt fine.  You wouldn’t know till the last minute if you’re really sailing, after you’ve spent money to get to the pier for airfare and hotels.  Then what?  Do you fly home positive or have to pay to stay in a hotel room you can’t leave? I don’t want to pay $200 or more a night for 2 weeks to sit in a room.  That’s too much disappointment for me.  

I would sail with a mask, temperature checks and a questionnaire.  But I’m out if we have to be tested especially multiple times.  Who’s going to pay for it too?  I will also not be forced to get a vaccine to go.  I love cruising and am having serious withdrawal but I can do other things with my vacation time for a couple of years if a vaccine and testing are required.

6 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

At this point I’m a No.  Timing is one thing,.  I can test negative and get it on the way to the ship.  The 72 hour thing makes no sense to me.  And there are false positives and false negatives.  

Who’s going to pay for the trip you can’t take at the last minute?   Very few insurance companies have covid policies. If they did quick tests at embarking I’d be a nervous wreak even if I felt fine.  You wouldn’t know till the last minute if you’re really sailing, after you’ve spent money to get to the pier for airfare and hotels.  Then what?  Do you fly home positive or have to pay to stay in a hotel room you can’t leave? I don’t want to pay $200 or more a night for 2 weeks to sit in a room.  That’s too much disappointment for me.  

You bring up some pretty compelling points.