Would you take a COVID test in order to cruise?

Would you take a COVID test in order to cruise?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Would you take a COVID test in order to cruise

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

WHICH TYPE ?

WHEN TO GET TESTED ?

VIRAL test - Tells if you have an active infection.

POSITVE (+)  test suggests you have the illness,  HOWEVER other factors must be considered such as the timing when the test is done.

NEGATIVE (-) test does not guarantee that a person doesn’t have the virus.  A person who is tested immediately after they are exposed and infected, when the amount of virus in their body is still low, will have a negative test.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ANTIBODY test- Tells if you have been infected.

POSITIVE(+) test suggests you had COVID-19 in the past,  HOWEVER it can take 1 to 3 weeks after infection occurs for your body to produce enough antibodies for the test to detect them. You may be currently infected even if you have a negative antibody test.

NEGATIVE(-) test suggests you have not been infected with COVID-19 in the past, but other factors must be considered such as the timing that the test is done and you may be currently infected even if you have a negative antibody test.

JUST like the NORO virus nothing can stop it from getting on the ship..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I agree. Why?

Hopefully by the time cruising resumes, the testing will be more accurate. 

M8

Because I don't want anyone sticking ANYTHING up my nose  😇

Off topic Did you see the newspaper today?  the sheriff is still positive but it's okay for him to come back to work?  Crazy  

Edited by molly361
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Off topic Did you see the newspaper today?  the sheriff is still positive but it's okay for him to come back to work?  Crazy  

I mentioned that to the boss this morning. Honestly, I’m not sure he really had it. He was at the Florida Sheriff’s Conference in Tampa and left Thursday evening. Friday was the Dog and Pony show with the President. I personally don’t believe he wanted to participate with the Friday function. He is a registered Dem. 

This is only my opinion. 

M8

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Test may change by the time cruising resumes. I’ve mentioned this before but my 87 yo Mom has now been tested for CV 4 times (negative) and now the Antibody test once, also negative. She didn’t complain about the nasal swab. 

The boss was required to take it too.  She didn’t complain. 

M8

21 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Isn't the regular Influenza test done with the same procedure

4 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

Most common is with a simple nasal swab and results in about 15 minutes. Can be done in Doctor's office.

Edited by boscobeans

6 minutes ago, CSHS1979 said:

4 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Don't have a clue

Yes, the influenza test is also the long, brain tickler swab.  That is the test that we had done on Anthem, was not fun at all!

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Yes, the influenza test is also the long, brain tickler swab.  That is the test that we had done on Anthem, was not fun at all!

Interesting  I have been to the doctor a couple of times in the past few years thinking I had the flu  and never have gotten that test.  They always say it's a viral infection. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, molly361 said:

Interesting  I have been to the doctor a couple of times in the past few years thinking I had the flu  and never have gotten that test.  They always say it's a viral infection. 

During the normal flu season when a patient presents the usual flu symptoms the old adage, If it looks like a duck,  sounds like a duck  and walks like a duck, it is a duck, holds true and most of the time it is the FLU, which IS a VIRAL INFECTION.. .

Edited by boscobeans

2 minutes ago, molly361 said:

They tested us because they had a known outbreak of influenza A and we both had 103+ temperatures, along with coughs, aches, chills, etc.  We were lucky to get tested and also get some of the last Tamiflu on the ship.  They were rationing the Tamiflu and only gave us one box to split, which was enough to get us to the last day of the cruise.  We called our doctors at home and had additional medication waiting for us at CVS.  I know they ran out because some on our rollcall got sick and were unable to get any Tamiflu.

• Like 2

Just me, but given a choice between having blood drawn vs sticking a swap up through my nose to near my brain, I’m going with the blood test. 

I assume if there is a test requirement it will be “sometime 72 hours or less before boarding.” They can’t possibly test everyone at the docks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zekekelso said:

Just me, but given a choice between having blood drawn vs sticking a swap up through my nose to near my brain, I’m going with the blood test. 

I assume if there is a test requirement it will be “sometime 72 hours or less before boarding.” They can’t possibly test everyone at the docks. 

My wife and I had the antibody test done and it was a simple finger stick.. 

At my company If you have any symptoms you cannot come to work until you produce a negative test and have been symptom free for 24 hours. If we can't come to work it's paid time off which many people have been taking advantage of with the beautiful summer we've been having up here. Well, one morning a few weeks ago one of my good friends felt like having some paid time off so he said he had a slight cough and so off he got sent for testing. 2 days later and he has a positive result.......now he gets 14 days off with pay and he's laughing. He came back to work nice and refreshed. 

Point is that there are quite a lot of false positives and negatives. 

• Like 1

Just now, yogimax said:

And that's precisely why only a safe and efficient vaccine will make a difference.

Vaccine won't make a difference either. We are well on our way.....80% of the world population was already immune to this thing when it began. More will follow. 

I'm still kind of shocked that people are willing to take a vaccine when there will be zero legal recourse should something go wrong with it. 

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/international-business/article-astrazeneca-to-be-exempt-from-coronavirus-vaccine-liability-claims-in/

• Like 1

I will take this test gladly.

I grew up in the country where we were required to have certain tests to go to summer camp or other similar places, so I do not see any problems with doing so especially during pandemics. I just hope I am not infected, but asymptomatic!

Right now ... I will probably have a surgery to cruise again. 🤣

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I would have no problem taking a covid test and/or showing proof of vaccine to cruise.  By the time cruising begins again, I'm sure testing will be much better.

By the time cruising begins again the pandemic may just be over. No one knows for absolute certain yet. 

• Like 3