How many years in advance can you usually book a cruise?

CruizinKittie40

I have plans for 2021, COVID willing, but I was thinking my next cruise should be transatlantic or Mediterranean and was looking for September 2022 and couldn't find anything.  I have never tried to book a cruise years in advance so I wondered if it was just a COVID thing.  Does anyone know when the 2022 cruises will come up ?

7 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Furthest we did was I believe around 10 months. I hate booking anything out far. A lot can happen in between, including your interest in that trip.

Really? I would think those that like to travel would maintain the same interest. If you want to go to Singapore and you book two years out, what are the odds your interest in Singapore wanes?

Plus, if the trip is pricey, you have that time to pay/save. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

Plus, if the trip is pricey, you have that time to pay/save. 

personally, that's the purpose of booking so far in advance for me.  I want my next cruise to have a larger room so I need more time to pay for it! I've only booked inside cabins and I want to branch out and get something different this time.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

I have plans for 2021, COVID willing, but I was thinking my next cruise should be transatlantic or Mediterranean and was looking for September 2022 and couldn't find anything.  I have never tried to book a cruise years in advance so I wondered if it was just a COVID thing.  Does anyone know when the 2022 cruises will come up ?

There are sites that have all the cruises available for all the cruise lines. If it is listed you can book it. I just booked the Carnival Magic for February 26, 2022 Just a quick look shows Carnival cruises listed to April 29, 2023

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

There are sites that have all the cruises available for all the cruise lines. If it is listed you can book it. I just booked the Carnival Magic for February 26, 2022 Just a quick look shows Carnival cruises listed to April 29, 2023

I guess my problem is more of a destination issue.  I do see tons and tons of Bahamas cruises for 2022.  I guess nobody wants to roll the dice on a 16 day Mediterranean cruise yet 😄

Edited by CruizinKittie40

8 minutes ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

I guess my problem is more of a destination issue.  I do see tons and tons of Bahamas cruises for 2022.  I guess nobody wants to roll the dice on a 16 day Mediterranean cruise yet 😄

Here's a place to start looking to see what's out there https://www.cruisecritic.com/cruiseto/cruiseitineraries.cfm?startDate=2022-06&port=149

48 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Furthest we did was I believe around 10 months. I hate booking anything out far. A lot can happen in between, including your interest in that trip.

I've never experienced this. The cruise we booked 18 months ahead was actually supposed to be the previous year. But when we went to book it the year before around 12 months out, cabin selection was horrible because it was close to sold out (it was a repositioning itinerary so only offered once a year). So we waited a few months and then booked for the following year. For "big" trips we usually have those at least penciled into a month/year at more than a year in advance. Now, covid has put a big derailer on that. Was supposed to do southeast asia in February and I can't see that happening so we are looking at November 2021 for it now.  Which pushes the next years machu pichu trip out a bit more...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

personally, that's the purpose of booking so far in advance for me.  I want my next cruise to have a larger room so I need more time to pay for it! I've only booked inside cabins and I want to branch out and get something different this time.  

You better watch out!  I decided to get a balcony once, now my family refuses to have anything less.  Last cruise we did a suite, so now our next 2 are suites.  Lord only knows what'll happen if I book a Captain's Suite.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rollin Tide said:

You better watch out!  I decided to get a balcony once, now my family refuses to have anything less.  Last cruise we did a suite, so now our next 2 are suites.  Lord only knows what'll happen if I book a Captain's Suite.

hahaha I can imagine!!

We have never personally booked that far out. We normally do 6-8 months or very much lasted minute. We work for our selves so can't predict anything with our business that far out. Only a few times did we plan 10 months out and it was because of a "bigger" family group was involved. 

• Like 2

On 8/17/2020 at 3:26 PM, CruizinKittie40 said:

For the Mediterranean I book just a few months before sailing. I was supposed to go on the Radiance sailing this year out of Barcelona, re-booked for next spring  (finger crossed) on the legend.

• Like 1

For me it's almost always 1-2 years out.  I'm cabin picky so I get the cabin I want as well.  I'll start checking prices about two years out...if the price is right I'll book.  If not I'll have a feel for price of the particular cruise I'm looking at.  Once I see the price and cabin I want I put a deposit on it. Usually 1-2 years out is the best price too. I've kicked myself for waiting too long to book before...

Most of my cruises are booked last minute with some booked a few months out. My Antarctica trip was booked over 600 days out. All bookings I make will have a refundable deposit regardless of extra cost... I cancel too often and make too many changes to not have a refundable deposit.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 1

Normally, around a year and a half.  However, when our cruise in October this year was cancelled, they already had some fall of 2022 up and we booked the Horizon for Halloween 2022.  I was very happy to see that already.

• Like 1

There was a time I wouldn't book more than 3-6 months out due to work. Now work pretty much knows I take a week at the end of Feb or beginning of March and another at the end of August so I feel comfortable booking those weeks a year or two out. I end up getting better prices and better room selection that way. As soon as they open up Celebration I"ll be looking at it for 2023. Partially because I have a FCC to use up and a new ship will have a lot of specialty restaurants in which to spend that $600 OBC.

• Like 1