Experienced Antarctica Cruisers

Experienced Antarctica cruisers (I’m guessing Paul, Dan, Mura ....) I booked the Jan 2022 sailing to Antarctica on Marina.  I just realized that it is a drive by.  For anyone with experience, is this sufficient?  There is a Seabourn Feb 2021 with 5 zodiac days and a Seabourn mainly March with 5 zodiac days plus South Georgia.  Is a drive by enough as January is the preferred month?  Feb I guess is not as good as Jan but it has landing days.  March is really late in the season but it has landings in Antarctica (Which can be affected by weather) plus South Georgia.  I’m perplexed.  Any thoughts from anyone who has been there?

Days at Sea are Days at Sea! 

Purely a choice on how many you want to pay for. Some don’t care, it’s about the ship, while others want to see and explore. 

Your World Your Way! Decide for yourself what’s important. I clearly can’t answer that.

what’s the combined daily rate to  “ sail by”?

Edited by pinotlover

Do not waste time or money on a drive by. We did this with Ponant from Montevideo to Ushuaia. We landed in S. Georgia and Antartica. This was early season in November, It is very pristine at that time and not a lot of penguin poo. Lot's of Mommies sitting on their eggs and the youngsters (the brown furry ones) a plenty.

The seas were very rough on our crossing and if doing it all over again, we would just go from Ushuaia and return. Too many rough sea days to get to S. Georgia. Many will disagree with me, but giving you my feedback.

It is a once in a lifetime experience and I did it once. Happy to accomplish it, but would not do it again.

The wine and cheese, service etc. were fabulous. Best butler ever.

For one of the most amazing experiences of your life take an expedition ship It will be expensive, but it will be so awesome

I could name and identify 9 species of penguins during our cruise 

• Like 1

We did a 22 day drive-by in Jan 2018 on the HAL Zaandam and had a fantasic time and we plan on doing it again in a few years on either Celebrity or Princess if they continue to allow them after Jan 2022. But there's another story.

However, if you want to do an Antarctica expedition cruise before the prices start getting crazy on Seabourn, Crystal and Silversea starting in the Fall of 2021, then I would definitely suggest booking the Feb 2021 Seabourn cruise on the Quest. That is if it actually goes because of the pandemic.

BUT, either way, you will not be disappointed!

We did a 3-week cruise on an expedition vessel that included the Falklands, South Georgia, and the Peninsula in 2007.  In 2015, we did a 30-day expedition vessel cruise from Ushuaia to New Zealand by way of the Ross Sea.  Loved every second of both, with zodiac cruises, landings, and in the latter case, helicopter rides.  I’d say the only way to visit Antarctica is by expedition vessel with landings.  No other experience compares. Both trips were in January.

One thing you need to research is whether the ship meets the new standards for vessels cruising in Antarctica.  (Not just landing, but sailing in those waters).  I believe these new rules go into effect for the 2022 Antarctic season.  There are discussions on the Antarctica board that might have links to help you.  Also the IAATO may have listings of ships that qualify under the new rules. A number of cruise lines that are still offering/selling Antarctic drive-by cruises (such as the one on Marina) will technically not qualify under the new rules and will likely change their itineraries.  I have no idea whether Marina does or not.

We did a ''drive-by' in February 2016 with Celebrity and thoroughly enjoyed it. I just wanted to see the scenery (Paradise Bay was magical) and we didn't want to pay the quite considerable extra money for a zodiac experience.  We did see one whale and a few penguins (at a distance) but the glaciers, iceberg formations and colours were wonderful and that was enough for me.  On our way back to Buenos Aires we stopped at the Falkland Islands and saw masses of penguins.  The Drakes Passage crossing wasn't rough so I guess we were lucky and the 'circumnavigation' around Cape Horn was a great experience.  Visiting that part of the world was on my bucket list and I came away knowing that I had seen a magical place.  

Edited by Medeba
  • Like 1

Did South Georgia, the Falklands and Antarctica on an expedition ship with only 69 guests and 7 lecturers in January 2012. We had near perfect weather and did 3 landings a day. South Georgia was the higlight of the trip for the wildlife and Shackleton experience. Conditions were so good that we even set foot on Elephant Island where the Shackleton party waited four months for rescue - a true rarity. Your budget and iterests will determine which trip you take. Definitely an expedition ship is the best but if I had to do a "drive by", I would do the Seabourn with South Georgia. Read "Endurance" before deciding.

Marina, built in 2011, will complete her second Special Survey in Jan 2021, and that will be the latest her polar certificate will last, so she will not be permitted to operate south of 60* south latitude after that date.  60* south is a parallel that crosses only ocean as it circles the globe, and the closest land is the South Shetland Islands, 35 miles (over the horizon) south, and the South Georgia Islands (60 miles) and the Antarctic Peninsula (180 miles to the tip) are further.

Even most of the expedition ships will no longer be permitted in Arctic/Antarctic waters after 2021, only those built within the last 2-3 years.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Thanks 1

I'm afraid that Antarctica is one destination we always hoped to do but never did, and now it's too late for many reasons.  But if we were to do so sometime in the future, we wouldn't do a drive by either. 

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Marina, built in 2011, will complete her second Special Survey in Jan 2021, and that will be the latest her polar certificate will last, so she will not be permitted to operate south of 60* south latitude after that date.  60* south is a parallel that crosses only ocean as it circles the globe, and the closest land is the South Shetland Islands, 35 miles (over the horizon) south, and the South Georgia Islands (60 miles) and the Antarctic Peninsula (180 miles to the tip) are further.

Even most of the expedition ships will no longer be permitted in Arctic/Antarctic waters after 2021, only those built within the last 2-3 years.

So the currently itinerary on the Marina for the January 2022 polar cruise will not come anywhere near the islands they are scheduled to 'drive by'? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

So the currently itinerary on the Marina for the January 2022 polar cruise will not come anywhere near the islands they are scheduled to 'drive by'? 

As far as I can see, no.  Admiralty Bay is 120 miles too far south, as is Half Moon Bay, and Paradise Bay is 240 miles too far south.  The ship is limited to the Drake Passage, above 60* S, so above Elephant Island.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

Experienced Antarctica cruisers (I’m guessing Paul, Dan, Mura ....) I booked the Jan 2022 sailing to Antarctica on Marina.  I just realized that it is a drive by.  For anyone with experience, is this sufficient?  There is a Seabourn Feb 2021 with 5 zodiac days and a Seabourn mainly March with 5 zodiac days plus South Georgia.  Is a drive by enough as January is the preferred month?  Feb I guess is not as good as Jan but it has landing days.  March is really late in the season but it has landings in Antarctica (Which can be affected by weather) plus South Georgia.  I’m perplexed.  Any thoughts from anyone who has been there?

Yes...I have been there..  did a drive by as you said and yes it was enough.   Went   in and out of islands, bergs and saw all sorts of wild life.    3 days in the region including Elephant Island.      Even in summer December the  temps and weather is  ever changing.    It will in Summer be darn cold   The ship's steel  hull transmits  the cold..even with the heat full up it is still cold in the cabin.... 

I would not have wanted to be in a zodiac bobbing around in a freezing sea.        I  wished for an inside..      I could not see the  value to pay massive more$$$ just to walk on some barren beach or get 300 ft closer to an iceberg  I am a professional NPS naturalist and as I said a drive by is more than enough unless your driven by ego, in my opinion  .  If your really hyped to be on a ice.. Go to Alaska, Mt Rainier  or if your really into it... You can take a overnight trip to the Ross Ice Shelf and spend the night in a tent and fly back the next day  for about $2500.   Far cheaper than the  5 figure  expedition ships.

Have to disagree --  Drive by was not enough.   Ego Dan ??  Come on.

Yes you smell the Penguins. But you do not get close.

Best way is to do an expedition.  Suggest Silversea, as we did.  We enjoyed Antarctica, so much we are going back in late 2021.   A must is South Georgia.

Want some ego see below. (my Silversea video)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think visually Greenland matches (or comes very close to) Antarctica minus the wild life and is a lot more accessible - a "poor man's Antarctica" 🙂

Some of the glaciers and floating icebergs are truly spectacular.

This thread makes me sad.  I have a deposit on the January 2022 cruise. I knew the 'drive by' is not the same as an expedition cruise, but I don't  have the $25k/pp for a 'true' experience.  No way to move up the cruise as nothing on Oceania comes close to this in 2021.  Plus, I don't really see how any of the January 2021 cruises on any lines will happen, as least for this part of the world.  Now it seems I have missed my chance and this part of the world will be effectively out of reach forever. 

8 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

This thread makes me sad.  I have a deposit on the January 2022 cruise. I knew the 'drive by' is not the same as an expedition cruise, but I don't  have the $25k/pp for a 'true' experience.  No way to move up the cruise as nothing on Oceania comes close to this in 2021.  Plus, I don't really see how any of the January 2021 cruises on any lines will happen, as least for this part of the world.  Now it seems I have missed my chance and this part of the world will be effectively out of reach forever. 

Don't worry. Something tells me there will be "drive by" sailings after Jan 2022. But then again I'm an optimist, especially when I see all of the other "drive by" itineraries being posted by other major cruise lines. 

But even if on the outside chance O has to change their itinerary because of the Ice Class rules, I see you are also stopping at the Falkland Islands and Puerto Madryn as well as few ports in Chile. You will see plenty of penguins there as well as other wildlife, most of which you can get to within a few feet of.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Don't worry. Something tells me there will be "drive by" sailings after Jan 2022. But then again I'm an optimist, especially when I see all of the other "drive by" itineraries being posted by other major cruise lines. 

But even if on the outside chance O has to change their itinerary because of the Ice Class rules, I see you are also stopping at the Falkland Islands and Puerto Madryn as well as few ports in Chile. You will see plenty of penguins there as well as other wildlife, most of which you can get to within a few feet of.

At this point I will just have to wait and see.  Antartica was not the only reason I booked this cruise, but a major factor. 

• Like 1

We have done both a drive by and an expedition to Antarctica.

Christmas 2015 we did a drive by on HAL’s Zaandam and enjoyed it very much. The onboard lectures were truly excellent as well as what we saw off the ship. Then at the end of December 2018 we did an expedition trip on Hurtigruten’s Fram which went to the Falkland Islands, South Georgia and Antarctica. An amazing experience and South Georgia was easily the highlight. The wildlife was beyond imagination. I am a penguin lover, and the penguins were certainly in abundance!

I know most people say don’t bother with a drive by, you have to do the "real thing", but we would do either again, given the opportunity. There is a massive difference in cost, of course. My preference now would be to do an expedition trip to South Georgia and Falkland Islands, without Antarctica. But I have not seen an itinerary like this for ages, and who knows what the post COVID availabilities will be? We would love to return to the Falklands and South Georgia. But even a drive by in Antarctica by would satisfy some of my desires to be back in this amazing part of the world!

We have also done Greenland on HAL. We found it quite unexciting compared to Antarctica, Falklands and South Georgia. We have not done Alaska, so I can’t compare with that. IMO the real attraction about Antarctica, South Georgia and the Falklands is the wildlife.

At the end of the day it depends what your priorities are, as well as how much $ you are willing to spend. Health and mobility is also a consideration on the expedition trips. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

and as I said a drive by is more than enough unless your driven by ego, in my opinion  .

How extremely insulting! Ego had not a single thing to do with it! To both of us it was a must do. Especially the zodiacs. We did it in January and when we were on the ship we wore SHORTS! Temp was in the 50s.  To us not going ashore would be like, say, sailing past San Francisco and not going ashore. Your know-it-all-ness has reach new limits. "Driven by ego." The only ego would likely be yours.

PS: In that photo of the folks in the zodiac, most people didn't have their hoods up or caps on.

PPS: The guy with the blanket is my husband. Under the blanket was shorts and a golf shirt and the blanket was cotton or another light synthetic. Outside on the aft deck post-breakfast.

IMG_6463.JPG

IMG_6352.JPG

Edited by clo
  • Thanks 1