Princess Laundry Tags (Oh the Memories)

geocruiser

Hello everyone,

I was just ironing one of my DH shirts, and there was a Princess laundry tag on it from our last cruise.  The memories just started flowing from my mind.  This was from a wonderful cruise from NYC to Ft Lauderdale. taken last year.

What memories do your laundry tags bring to your mind?

• Like 1

I have had laundry done on Princess and P&O(UK) in the past.  One of the two does laundry tags on a coded basis e.g. Z45GH whereas the other actually uses your cabin number as the laundry tag number.  So when one looks at your shirt years later you can remember which cabin you were in. 

Regards John

• Like 1

Another memory booster...last week I decided to decommission my travel items rubbermaid container (sigh) and came across a bottle of Princess Lotus Spa shampoo.  While I never really liked the scent, I used it and the good memories flowed back.   Maybe I’ll keep the bottle and take the occasional whiff.

Last cruise was Oct. 2019 Transatlantic.  Wonderful.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2020 at 4:54 PM, john watson said:

I have had laundry done on Princess and P&O(UK) in the past.  One of the two does laundry tags on a coded basis e.g. Z45GH whereas the other actually uses your cabin number as the laundry tag number.  So when one looks at your shirt years later you can remember which cabin you were in. 

Regards John

The tag that I found on my DH shirt said PL-49.

I used to pull off any laundry tags as soon as I found them after returning home, but since the hiatus of cruising, I have been leaving them in place as a reminder of past cruises. Even if the location may be a wee bit irritating, I like having my memory jogged. 😉

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 3:40 PM, geocruiser said:

What memories do your laundry tags bring to your mind?

We [use to] cruise a lot and do laundry on most voyages. Every time I run across a laundry tag (and remove it) I try to remember when the last time I packed that item for a cruise and also realize how much I miss being at sea on a cruise ship. Maybe some day soon....

Not sure about how much people know about the early days of Princess Cruises but when the founder Stanley McDonald chartered Princess Patricia as the first vessel, laundry went a bit pear shaped.  Basically the vessel did not have an on board laundry facility, so the staff collected everybody's laundry and it was taken ashore for it to be serviced at a shoreside location with a private company.  It was done in good time but the company returned all the laundry to the ship as a single gigantic amalgamated load.  

Regards John