ALL THINGS CRUISING, IT'S ALL YOURS

Spif Barwunkel

We’ve spent a lot of time circumnavigating this global pandemic searching for insight, solace, inspiration, and validation that once again hope springs eternal. Our typical Cruise Critic discussions are infused with a contaminant of sorts, a modified rhetoric of vast proportions. It’s as if a prominent asterisk will note the difference in cruising when once again the ships welcome the people and the oceans welcome the ships.

We are all of the same cruising ideology, but vary in our thoughts and opinions as to what has worked for us so far and what will work for us in the future. Within those varying experiences we have found our comfort zone and it feels good when nestled there. Now we can look forward to being confronted with modifications, guidelines and protocols that will certainly disrupt that cozy routine. There have been some short modified cruises in Europe. Speculation now is that Celebrity Edge and Apex might set sail from Fort Lauderdale in November, other lines as well from other ports. Months of disappointment in cancelled cruises, monetary refunds, future cruise credits and plans, have taken their toll on our psyche, our patience and our willingness to stay the course and play by the rules once cruising begins again. And so it shall be. Whatever that is. Cruising's new countenance has yet to officially be determined in it's entirety. Depending on how we cruisers react to it's presentation could influence the success of it's resurrection. 

This thread welcomes all things cruising, including subjects ancillary to the discussion. No specific theme is required and there is no need to worry about going off topic. Say what you want to say, in a nice way. Consider this thread a consolidation of sorts, a hodgepodge, a potpourri of posts reflective of their authors. With all the discussion that promises to take place, from now through the pandemic and beyond, consider this thread the "wide open spaces". Roam and doodle. Theorize and opinionize. Ask and answer. You are on your own. No one here to tell you what to write about.

Direction influences action. Spontaneity influences creativity. 

• Like 3

I'm ready to go!  I miss the ocean.  I miss the relaxed traveling style of unpacking once and having my hotel move in the night.  Land travel is interesting, but more complicated.  Just back from a land trip.  Driving, particularly through construction zones, is a lot of work.  I'd rather let the captain drive.  I love the planning and anticipation that goes with cruising to interesting places.

I still have a November MSC YC on the books for this November.  So far, no word.  Given the success of what they're currently doing in Europe, I'm curious to see if this one goes.  I've had 5 Celebrity cruises cancelled this year, so I'm more than ready.  Otherwise, I've re-booked three of the cancelled ones for 2021.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Remaining positive... not always easy however. Suppose to be on the Apex in February, the Reflection in March, HAL in June and Princess in December 2021. Will any or all these cruises sail - no one knows. So, just to cover any disappointments, or shoving cruises back to 2022,  also booked a week long Amtrak trip in November 2021 which, unless coronavirus takes us all out, will indeed be a go. It is what it is!! Best wishes to everyone.

Edited by PROCRUISE

19 hours ago, ORV said:

Well this took off like a Lead Zeppelin. 

IMO--- ( to cover my butt ) the tone of your response is not in keeping with the effort the OP put into opening up a new topic.

Again, IMO , I think we've  " overstayed " the same old same old topics that have been hashed around for the past few months. 

Maybe someone that's interested will post " Who Will Be On Board When Cruising Starts Up " ??? 

• Haha 1

IMO--- ( to cover my butt ) the tone of your response is not in keeping with the effort the OP put into opening up a new topic.
Again, IMO , I think we've  " overstayed " the same old same old topics that have been hashed around for the past few months. 
Maybe someone that's interested will post " Who Will Be On Board When Cruising Starts Up " ??? 

I thought it was funny

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Here's a novel idea; how bout you worry about what you post and I'll worry about mine. 

• Like 2

I should be sailing on Equinox now...departure was to be a week ago today from Ft. Lauderdale sailing the ABC Islands.  I have spent every day thinking about what could have been.  As disappointed as I am, I can look forward to the re-booked cruise for January (yes, I believe we will sail).  

Thankful that friends & family have remained healthy and I still have a job to pay for the three cruises I have booked for next year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

Welcome to CC. Nothing new for CC. If ya don't like the subject (s) ya move along. 🤣

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

Spif- thanks for the open forum.  

We have discussed on many threads the survival of the cruise industry and how long it can go without cash.

But I have not seen a discussion about the survival of Cruise Critic.  Or have I missed it?

Sites like Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic must be suffering mightily for income if based on travel industry support in the form of ads, bookings, site hits.   I hope they survive!

I have noticed on Cruise Critic that the number of posts and the number of different posters seems to be way down.  Understandable.  No fresh material to talk about really.  The posts on pandemic related stuff like resumption of operations, refunds, masks(!), vaccines/therapeutics, seem to go around in circles with the same participants.  And then die out.  A lot of our typical members are staying away since there is no cruising.  Why frequent here except occasional check ins?   A lot of potential new members are not coming forward.  Roll calls are pretty much dead and these accounted for a majority of the ongoing posts on a daily basis.  As for me I choose to come here every day and support the board and to interact with CC colleagues that I have come to respect and to have interesting conversations.  And I find humorous the occasional posts out of left field from the hit and run posters some with strange opinions or just trying to agitate.  Not a problem for me.  Entertainment.  I will miss that and most of you if the site does not make it to see better days.  Thanks Cruise Critic for staying with us!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I have noticed on Cruise Critic that the number of posts and the number of different posters seems to be way down.  Understandable.  No fresh material to talk about really.

Since our hours are different, I used to wake up in the morning and "have to catch up" on reading at least 4-5-6 new pages....

Now, on a good day, there is a page, may be a page and a half....😧

Edited by dani negreanu

42 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

Since our hours are different, I used to wake up in the morning and "have to catch up" on reading at least 4-5-6 new pages....

Now, on a good day, there is a page, may be a page and a half....😧

I still enjoy reading the few. I love it when someone posts a real question like ‘Best European cruise?’...I can drift from present reality to past memories and future dreams...

CC is a real community, long may it prosper!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, chemmo said:

CC is a real community, long may it prosper!

Let's hope so-- 

It's a good diversion from what's going on in the world today .

Lots of interesting threads , so many excellent posters ( if that's the correct word ) whom I'd love to meet in person, and ,a few agitators ( no big deal, all part of the " game " ). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

so many excellent posters ( if that's the correct word ) whom I'd love to meet in person, and ,a few agitators ( no big deal, all part of the " game " ). 

I guess that would be as defined by you?

I hope it's not a surprise to you that some of those you might view as agitators might just be the excellent posters and you're the outsider(the guy that don't get it)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ORV said:

I guess that would be as defined by you?

I hope it's not a surprise to you that some of those you might view as agitators might just be the excellent posters and you're the outsider(the guy that don't get it)

Never thought that I'm " the guy that don't get it ".

That's a fair response. I'm learning something new every day on CC.

I would enjoy meeting you any time --- my treat for the drinks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Let's hope so-- 

It's a good diversion from what's going on in the world today .

Lots of interesting threads , so many excellent posters ( if that's the correct word ) whom I'd love to meet in person, and ,a few agitators ( no big deal, all part of the " game " ). 

Agree 100% CC is a great get away. But then you make this comment, "Again, IMO , I think we've  " overstayed "the same old same old topics that have been hashed around for the past few months". 🙄 And don't say you were just trying to be funny/humorous/tongue in cheek.   

Edited by davekathy

23 minutes ago, davekathy said:

And don't say you were just trying to be funny/humorous/tongue in cheek.   

Correct---

All I said was that we've been discussing the same topics for a while, and, maybe it's time to change to something else.  

Nothing meant to be funny about that.

I, for one, have been going on CC almost religiously since this pandemic....I am on CC way more than on Facebook....so much anger, politics, etc. on FB that I mostly just scroll through, or stay away from it entirely.  I look forward to reading about people's past cruises, excursions,  and seeing so many beautiful pictures on these boards, and I've learned so much from all of you that contribute the ins and outs of cruising.

I do miss the Roll Calls.  My RC for my cancelled November TA is coming to a close...we are on page 73 and people have dwindled and are pretty much saying goodbye.  My RC for October 21 has been on page 5 for a while now.  I tried starting a RC for my July 21 cruise, without any bites whatsoever.....

It is refreshing to see new topics posted.  Keep them coming!