Does anyone like the Infinite Verandas on the Edge?

homedepot124

13 hours ago, Space Coast Cruisers said:

We loved the ship but very much prefer the traditional balcony. We would opt for another type of room over the IV.

That would be nice, but there's only a very limited number of traditional balconies that do not require you to move up to a suite.  If the IV balcony was so good, do you ever wonder why they didn't put them in the suites?

• Like 1

I think early on they were going to do  one open  balc and one IV in some suite configurations,  but that was changed..

I'm not 100% sure and sadly we no longer have Vt cruiser to help us out.  Still miss her very much.  Great person and resouce .

• Like 2

I confess I have not sailed it yet.  Had a November cruise on Apex in an IV but had to move it to next year.  DH and I are big balcony people  - one of our favorite parts of a cruise is sitting out, reading, enjoying the ocean breezes.  I am very concerned that the IV will just not be to our liking - I'd much rather have a nice balcony with comfortable chairs that I spend a lot of time in than a bigger bathroom that I don't.  That said, I am looking forward to trying out many of the other features of the ship.  So I guess this time I will need to stop being a cabin rat, and head out and mingle with everyone (and hope by then I won't need to be wearing a mask to do so!)🙂 

Tried the IV on Edge. It's just not the same  as a balcony for many reasons which I'm sure you have read about. I like my balcony and not having a real balcony, I think impacted my satisfaction with the Edge cruise.  So, now that I'm booked on the APEX in a Sunset Veranda cabin which has a real balcony.  Of course, since I did a Lift & Shift, I'll have to wait till Dec 2021 before I can say how having a real balcony impacts my opinion of the Edge class ships.

I think the IV cabin would be much more enjoyable on a cold weather itinerary where you are not wanting to sit and relax in the warm weather on a balcony, and would enjoy more of a sunroom effect - perhaps Alaska, the Baltics or Iceland.

On 9/11/2020 at 11:36 AM, homedepot124 said:

All of the reviews I have read on Cruise Critic are pretty negative

about the Infinite Verandas.  So should I even consider booking

one of these rooms?

All? So are you just selectively reading only the negative reviews? LOL.😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

That would be nice, but there's only a very limited number of traditional balconies that do not require you to move up to a suite.  If the IV balcony was so good, do you ever wonder why they didn't put them in the suites?

Personally I think it was a huge mistake and Celebrity will never admit it. I know that I will never book one again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Space Coast Cruisers said:

Personally I think it was a huge mistake and Celebrity will never admit it. I know that I will never book one again. 

I am guessing you are correct, based on most of the reviews I have read.  Another of their design changes (like the uncomfortable balcony chairs, removal of footstools, and hospital surgical room feeling of the Retreat Lounge) made by people who most likely have never sailed on a cruise ship in their life.  Trying to appeal to a much younger crowd, who they apparently think doesn't know any better, or is swayed by style rather than substance.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I am guessing you are correct, based on most of the reviews I have read.  Another of their design changes (like the uncomfortable balcony chairs, removal of footstools, and hospital surgical room feeling of the Retreat Lounge) made by people who most likely have never sailed on a cruise ship in their life.  Trying to appeal to a much younger crowd, who they apparently think doesn't know any better, or is swayed by style rather than substance.  

😀We have not had a good rant at Kelly Hoppen here for a while.  Oh for the old days!!😀

Kelly-Hoppen.jpg

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

😀We have not had a good rant at Kelly Hoppen here for a while.  Oh for the old days!!😀

I had never heard of her until the EDGE building started. I liked most of the ship however, It was definitely form over function. A comfortable chair or any piece of furniture was few and far between.

Kelly-Hoppen.jpg

• Like 1

Was housed in an IV cabin on the Edge for a January 2019 cruise. Modern, different and quite nice. Enjoyed the ship and the cabin very much. It is something you have to experience for yourself. If you are open to new ideas, that does not guarantee you will like it. But, for sure, it guarantees you will understand why you don't.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Be aware that some folks report disdain/ dislike for the IV even though they have never experienced one firsthand. I would only find reviews credible if they admitted to having actually cruised in an IV. 

If they haven't actually cruised in an IV, they are expressing a legitimate opinion, not providing a review. Heck, I've never been shot out of a cannon at the circus, but I know that I wouldn't like it! :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

If they haven't actually cruised in an IV, they are expressing a legitimate opinion, not providing a review. Heck, I've never been shot out of a cannon at the circus, but I know that I wouldn't like it! :classic_biggrin:

Got to disagree with you Fouremco. In most cases, where you're spending big bucks, I want hands-on personal experience comments and reviews. A hands-off personal opinion serves no purpose. One-thousand folks could post, "I've never stayed in one but I don't I'd like it". Worthless! One person could say, "I've sailed in one and loved it". Guess who I'm going with? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The above photo shows the seaside view of an IV cabin.  This is a glass-walled cabin, with the ability to lower the top half of the wall.  Not a typical balcony, like 99% of the ships sailing, but something new and different.  We like it and some people do not.  

Nice to have choices.

Enjoy!

Kel😁

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Got to disagree with you Fouremco. In most cases, where you're spending big bucks, I want hands-on personal experience comments and reviews. A hands-off personal opinion serves no purpose. One-thousand folks could post, "I've never stayed in one but I don't I'd like it". Worthless! One person could say, "I've sailed in one and loved it". Guess who I'm going with? 

On the other hand, one thousand folks saying that they wouldn't stay in one, all of whom provide good rationale for their opinion, are worth listening to IMO. At the same time, I've read lots of first-hand reviews that I completely disagreed with based on personal experience. All I'm trying to say is that is pays to listen and not to dismiss what could be a valuable opinion simply because of the person's lack of direct experience.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ecslady said:

Tried the IV on Edge. It's just not the same  as a balcony for many reasons which I'm sure you have read about. I like my balcony and not having a real balcony, I think impacted my satisfaction with the Edge cruise.  So, now that I'm booked on the APEX in a Sunset Veranda cabin which has a real balcony.  Of course, since I did a Lift & Shift, I'll have to wait till Dec 2021 before I can say how having a real balcony impacts my opinion of the Edge class ships.

I think the IV cabin would be much more enjoyable on a cold weather itinerary where you are not wanting to sit and relax in the warm weather on a balcony, and would enjoy more of a sunroom effect - perhaps Alaska, the Baltics or Iceland.

I have not been on the Edge but do have a SV booked on a Panama Canal partial transit in 2022.  Want the true feeling of a balcony.  

I have to disagree on your thoughts of a IV for the Baltics and Alaska (have not been to Iceland.)

The scenery is so incredible on these "cold weather cruises" that you spend more time on a balcony than you think you would.  Looking down on the ice floes sailing in Alaska is amazing.  Also, we have had warm weather in both those locations.  Sailing in and out of ports, especially  in the Baltics is beautiful.  

On 9/11/2020 at 11:36 AM, homedepot124 said:

All of the reviews I have read on Cruise Critic are pretty negative

about the Infinite Verandas.  So should I even consider booking

one of these rooms?

this subject has been beaten to death.

i was on the Edge in a concierge infinite veranda.

i view it as a deluxe ocean view with your window that partially opens.

not worth the $

Edited by fstuff1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

I have not been on the Edge but do have a SV booked on a Panama Canal partial transit in 2022.  Want the true feeling of a balcony.  

i've been thru the panama canal twice.

1st time in an inside, 2nd time in a balcony.

(real) balcony is the way to go.

you're not fighting the masses for a view of going through the locks!!!

edit:

oh.. you're in an aft balcony.

Edited by fstuff1

4 hours ago, gfkcruiser said:

I have to disagree on your thoughts of a IV for the Baltics and Alaska (have not been to Iceland.)

The scenery is so incredible on these "cold weather cruises" that you spend more time on a balcony than you think you would.  Looking down on the ice floes sailing in Alaska is amazing.  Also, we have had warm weather in both those locations.  Sailing in and out of ports, especially  in the Baltics is beautiful.  

Had an aft balcony on a Panama Canal cruise and it was the best! You will really enjoy it.

Having sailed to Alaska and the Baltics and been to Iceland - Yes,  the scenery is fantastic. The IV cabin would make it easier to enjoy the views, and not have to be out in the cold.  And if you choose to lower the IV window, at least the cabin will stay cooler (the AC shuts off automatically when you lower the window, although I think there is a way to bypass that feature).  If I was doing a "cold weather cruise" I might give the IV another try, but not for the Caribbean.

We liked the infinite balcony, and had no issues with the operation of the window or forced closings from the bridge. We had the same lovely views that any balcony provides, had shelter from the sun and wind, and enjoyed the illusion of extra space in our stateroom.  I think it would be a great choice in cool weather.

We  loved the Edge.  The four dining room concept is great; the restaurants feel more intimate, and provide much more variety in service, food selection, and general atmosphere, without having to go to specialty restaurants.  The thing we missed the most was the lovely sky lounge  that is found on  all the other Celebrity ships, but we managed to seek out other lounges where we could enjoy our pre-dinner cocktails.  The entertainment was not always to my taste, but that is true throughout the Celebrity fleet, and I applaud the effort to present something new and a bit more contemporary. I look forward to the time when I can again happily sail on any Celebrity ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Fouremco said:

On the other hand, one thousand folks saying that they wouldn't stay in one, all of whom provide good rationale for their opinion, are worth listening to IMO. At the same time, I've read lots of first-hand reviews that I completely disagreed with based on personal experience. All I'm trying to say is that is pays to listen and not to dismiss what could be a valuable opinion simply because of the person's lack of direct experience.

This really is the key for interpreting reviews of the Edge, IV's or anything else in life.   A useful review is one that provides the reasons for liking or disliking a product, a review without the supporting reasons is virtually useless.  If you are someone who truly enjoys spending a lot of time on a traditional balcony, you probably won't like an IV balcony.  Many people find it too small and are disappointed in the lack of a reclining chair and a table large enough to use for a meal.  The doors that partition the room from the balcony are cumbersome to use and often require moving furniture to open and close the doors.  However if you do not really use the balcony that much and enjoy a larger room with a huge picture window, the IV balcony may be perfect for you.  

I hope the OP let's us know their decision based on this discussion. 

• Like 4