Does anyone like the Infinite Verandas on the Edge?

homedepot124

Well I did some math concerning the "Likes" and "Dislikes" on this thread only.  I didn't count anyone that had not traveled on the Edge; didn't count anyone more than once; didn't count anyone who had no opinion and was off topic.  Here is the summary of this group:

Didn't like their IV experience -- 16 people -- 53%

Did like their IV experience -- 14 people -- 47%

Since every ship sailing has traditional balconies, except for the E-class of Celebrity, I'm sure they will have no problem filling these cabins.  

For the ship engineers out there -- does this type of cabin decrease the amount of "drag" along the sides of the ship while sailing at high speeds?  Not sure this is an issue?  Seems, traditional balcony cabins would create more drag with their open spaces?

Just curious.

Kel

Edited by kelmac

2 hours ago, Josie201 said:

The "real" balconies are not what I consider to be "real" balconies.  Here is a picture.  More of a steel-enclosed space with a large porthole.

0ABF636F-6429-4CE6-882E-2DAF2F93CE1C.jpeg

ahh.. a hull balcony.

i think an IV is better than it.

1 hour ago, Oville said:

All non-suite aft cabins have verandas that are on the large size, not as picture above.  I believe that is an 1A cabin and I’d take an IV over that any day.

lol.. an aft balcony (sunset veranda) isnt a regular balcony. :)

they usually cost MUCH more than an IV.

so basically on the Edge, you have hull balcony, IV, or aft balconies.

but no regular balconies?

Edited by fstuff1

1 hour ago, kelmac said:

Well I did some math concerning the "Likes" and "Dislikes" on this thread only.  I didn't count anyone that had not traveled on the Edge; didn't count anyone more than once; didn't count anyone who had no opinion and was off topic.  Here is the summary of this group:

Didn't like their IV experience -- 16 people -- 53%

Did like their IV experience -- 14 people -- 47%

Since every ship sailing has traditional balconies, except for the E-class of Celebrity, I'm sure they will have no problem filling these cabins.  

For the ship engineers out there -- does this type of cabin decrease the amount of "drag" along the sides of the ship while sailing at high speeds?  Not sure this is an issue?  Seems, traditional balcony cabins would create more drag with their open spaces?

Just curious.

Kel

Unfortunately, the edge isn't split 47/53. It's more like 97/3 IVs.  Lots of unhappy people that way. 

38 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

ahh.. a hull balcony.

i think an IV is better than it.

lol.. an aft balcony (sunset veranda) isnt a regular balcony. 🙂

they usually cost MUCH more than an IV.

so basically on the Edge, you have hull balcony, IV, or aft balconies.

but no regular balconies?

Correct.  We had a 1A booked till I saw too many of these pictures.  We moved up to a sunset veranda, with an increase in cost.  

The QM2 has the “hull” or what they call sheltered balconies.   Those cabins are on the lower decks and need to be sheltered because of the North Atlantic Seas.   You won’t be washed overboard if she hits high seas.    I have spoken to many passengers who prefer these balconies because even in the worse weather you can be sheltered on your balcony and get fresh air.

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

The QM2 has the “hull” or what they call sheltered balconies.   Those cabins are on the lower decks and need to be sheltered because of the North Atlantic Seas.   You won’t be washed overboard if she hits high seas.    I have spoken to many passengers who prefer these balconies because even in the worse weather you can be sheltered on your balcony and get fresh air.

That is exactly why I book them when doing a TA on QM2- my first thoughts when I saw this hull balcony of Edge- very similar to those on board QM2!

• Like 1

PHere is a photo of the Sunset Veranda Cabins on Edge. There are 36 available. The end cabins on both the Port and Starboard sides are S1 Sky Suites. They all have “Regular Balconies”. The only other Regular Balcony Cabins are the ones pictured in the above post. Those are either all the way forward or aft on the sides of the ship. I’m not sure of the exact number, but I believe there are 2 each forward and aft on both sides of the ship on Decks 6,7,8,9 and 10.  I’m sure someone can correct those numbers since I am making an educated guess. 

UPDATE - I just looked at a ship deck website and if I counted correctly there are 54 Total Regular Veranda Cabins with the round opening on the balcony. 42 are on Decks 6 and 7, 12 on Deck 8 and 10 on Deck 9. 

image.jpeg.d1c2b3ad9a3e077a3e87204a45269aa6.jpeg

Edited by RICCruisers
Did more research.

2 hours ago, Josie201 said:

Correct.  We had a 1A booked till I saw too many of these pictures.  We moved up to a sunset veranda, with an increase in cost.  

Good move.  We stayed in an S1 aft and loved it.  There is a lot of walking but never a problem for us.  I also think there is the same amount of walking in the 1As.

Edited by Oville

We have been looking at the Apex for a fall/winter 2021 cruise.  For us, the IV will probably be perfect.  DH is in a wheelchair.  While he loves the balcony for an hour or so at night, otherwise it is not used by us.  However, the IV will probably work for us.  The big window.

Our one negative in the research is the same as others have mentioned.  It is not really fit for dining in the cabin.  

8 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Keep in mind also that when you open the window, the room air-conditioning goes off. It can become very uncomfortable in the room.

I assumed that would be the case.  Just as leaving the balcony door open on most ships turn off the in room a/c.  As long as it recovers in an hour or so, we are good.

16 minutes ago, D C said:

Which prevents knowledge of the ac system in an IV room? 

It does shut off when the window is opened, btw. 

I’ve stayed in 2 IVs and 2 S1s on the Edge.  I wouldn’t comment on an 1A.  There is a way to not totally shoput off the a/c in an IV.  

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

I was lucky to get a Sunset Veranda cabin on the Edge earlier last year, as I had no desire to stay in the infinite veranda cabins.   I loved it.  Now when I search for future cruises on Edge or Apex, its very difficult to find any available Sunset, and when I do, they are at a much higher premium than when I booked that first one.  Obviously Celebrity realized the demand was high for a true balcony and thus the increase in price,  

On 9/17/2020 at 2:30 PM, cruisestitch said:

Keep in mind also that when you open the window, the room air-conditioning goes off. It can become very uncomfortable in the room.

There is a setting on the control panel that allows you to keep the AC on while the door is open.

I liked the IV room... my husband did not. But we are different when it comes to verandas in general. I burn easily and so even with sun screen I have come to dislike sitting in the sun...so as a result I seldom sit out on the veranda and when I do.. I only do so for a short time... because even in the shade the reflected sun can get you. DH on the other hand can sit out for hours. So with that in mind... I loved the IV because I could walk up to the edge and enjoy being closer to the water... while DH found it frustrating to sit on the veranda and have the captain lock the window while in port during window washing time. If you make a lot of use out of a regular veranda... you won't like this...but if you seldom use it.. you might enjoy the more open experience..no curtains or window framing blocking the view. Now my only complaint about it ... is that it is way too small. We were on one of the maiden voyages... so we were expecting something that looked like the animated video they used to publicize the ship... But the scale was off... the video made the cabin appear wider than it is... the dimensions they give for the veranda does not factor in the walls or window thickness.. the actual sq footage was about 32 sq ft not the 41 advertised. The folding doors are useless because... if your bed is by the window... and you have two people standing on the veranda... you have to take a chair and place it on the bed so you have enough room to close the folding doors... it was a terrible design... I hope in future ships (if they were to make any more) that they at least make the veranda deeper...It is probably very impractical... and outragiously expensive to make it wider..which would either reduce the number of cabins of make the ship longer... and major blueprint changes.... deeper veranda might be easier to pull off... but not sure it would be sufficient to make it more enjoyable.

On 9/13/2020 at 10:15 AM, phoenix_dream said:

I confess I have not sailed it yet.  Had a November cruise on Apex in an IV but had to move it to next year.  DH and I are big balcony people  - one of our favorite parts of a cruise is sitting out, reading, enjoying the ocean breezes.  I am very concerned that the IV will just not be to our liking - I'd much rather have a nice balcony with comfortable chairs that I spend a lot of time in than a bigger bathroom that I don't.  That said, I am looking forward to trying out many of the other features of the ship.  So I guess this time I will need to stop being a cabin rat, and head out and mingle with everyone (and hope by then I won't need to be wearing a mask to do so!)🙂 

If you are big balcony people.... I suggest the sunset veranda... I hate to say it...but you won't like the IV... far too small to truly enjoy... you could look into the 1A but the views suck in those... the round structure blocks the view and many have the window washing equipment nearby.  We did enjoy the ship.. as I posted earlier.. I like the IV..but I am not a veranda person... I liked being able to sit out of the sun.. DH hated that..

Full disclosure- I have not yet had the experience of the IV - I was booked but then C- Virus happened......  However, I do not use regular balconies with any frequency (too windy, too sunny).   I generally Cruise during the cooler seasons of the year and never sit out in the sun.  I think the IV will suit me just fine.  The major plus for having a balcony was to be able to “adjoin” neighboring staterooms.  But the Millennium class can’t join their balconies either. 😞
A big positive for me will be the King size bed!  Finally 😊

10 minutes ago, VitaminSea53 said:

Full disclosure- I have not yet had the experience of the IV - I was booked but then C- Virus happened......  However, I do not use regular balconies with any frequency (too windy, too sunny).   I generally Cruise during the cooler seasons of the year and never sit out in the sun.  I think the IV will suit me just fine.  The major plus for having a balcony was to be able to “adjoin” neighboring staterooms.  But the Millennium class can’t join their balconies either. 😞
A big positive for me will be the King size bed!  Finally 😊

I think you’ll like the cabin and the ship.  I’d consider getting a cabin where the bed is located closer to the washroom than the window.  It feels roomier.

29 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I think you’ll like the cabin and the ship.  I’d consider getting a cabin where the bed is located closer to the washroom than the window.  It feels roomier.

I also like big unobstructed views - no curtains- no balcony doors 😊. So the IV sounds perfect for me. 

I am booked on the Apex for next September 🤞. I went back and forth deciding between bed by window or bath.....I can see benefits to each one. I decided on bed by window to allow easier access to the closet and so that my morning wake-up call (room service coffee delivery) can be quick and easy (doesn’t have to scoot past bed).  I also like the idea of the big water view from the bed.  We will see- hopefully cruising will have begun by then. 

• Like 1

We sailed the Edge in April 2019, which seems like 10 years ago. Had an IV and , after a day or so, really enjoyed it. Never had an issue with the window being forced closed. We had the bed by the window, so when the curtain was open you had a great unobstructed view of the ocean from the bed. With the app you could control the nights and the upper window without getting up. 

Probably the only hassle to us was that the depth of the balcony makes it tricky to maneuver the chairs and close the French doors at times. Other than that we would not hesitate to book one again. 
Loved the four MDR’s. 

mac_tlc

9 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

We sailed the Edge in April 2019, which seems like 10 years ago. Had an IV and , after a day or so, really enjoyed it. Never had an issue with the window being forced closed. We had the bed by the window, so when the curtain was open you had a great unobstructed view of the ocean from the bed. With the app you could control the nights and the upper window without getting up. 

Probably the only hassle to us was that the depth of the balcony makes it tricky to maneuver the chairs and close the French doors at times. Other than that we would not hesitate to book one again. 
Loved the four MDR’s. 

mac_tlc

Other than the fact we had our bed by the bathroom, I agree totally with your view on the IV and the MDR’s.