When Will We Feel Safe to Cruise Again

mcrcruiser

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I agree!  We oftentimes just ask them to provide us with fresh towels, TP, Kleenex, etc if we need it.  They are always happy to oblige.  We also keep the do not disturb sign out on the door so, the supervisor will know we did not want to be disturbed.  If we happen to meet with the supervisor in the hallway, we make sure to let him/her know that we appreciate the room steward respects our wishes.  We never reduce the tip, either, in case someone was going to jump to that conclusion.  I really wouldn't even object to reducing the room steward's duties to only once a day.  I think Carnival did that at one time ... maybe it still exists.  I honestly don't know .. I just read about it being reduced to once a day.  People could choose if they wanted morning or evening service.  That would certainly work for me.  However,  I could see how that works out in the long run ... they will just reduce the number of room stewards, increase their number of rooms and then, there will always an entire block of passengers on a particular cruise that are more needy and then the room steward gets slammed.  

You are communicating with the supervisor when you see them and that is good.

I have had conversations with out state room stewards over a number of voyages and they told us they always appreciate it when the supervisor is informed by a passenger that they want reduced  service. Door tags do fall off or get moved by some one brushing past them when the corridor is crowded. Some of the supervisors are hard nosed.

Any way this is getting a bit off topic.

Back on topic I think I would cruise again if there is a vaccine available and proof of vaccination is required to board a ship.

Edited by brisalta

On 9/13/2020 at 11:10 AM, Cruise Raider said:

I fully respect your decision not to cruise.  I never have and wouldn't ever cruise while knowing I was sick and could be infectious to others.  However, every time we walk out the door, we place ourselves in harm's way.  We've been on cruises where people have passed away, gotten broken bones from rough seas, seen emergency evacuations, been on two norovirus sailings, seen people board with other highly infectious diseases, even picked up a couple of those nasty bugs myself over my last 60 cruises.  The decision to cruise or stay home should be based on one's current health status and their tolerance to risk.  Cruising means different things to all people.  For me, wearing a mask and frequent hand hygiene, physical distancing from others, etc. would be right up my alley.  Sitting on my balcony with my DH, while watching the beautiful scenery, even if that is just the horizon out over the sea, is my idea of a dream come true.  I don't need to socialize or meet new people, be seated with strangers at dinner, eat at a buffet, crowd into a theater to see a show, go out on my own while in port, etc to have a great time on a cruise.   Again, I respect that others have a different point of view.  Those particularly vulnerable to the severe manifestations of CoVid should take every precaution they feel is necessary.  

Just to see if it was doable to wear a mask whenever outside of my room, I recently took a short vacation.  Yes, in some people's opinion, I may have been putting myself in harm's way but, probably no more than going to Costco to shop for groceries, getting a hair cut, going out to eat, going to the doctor's office for an annual exam or to the dentist for a cleaning.  Life is full of risks  and there is an inherent risk to isolation, as well.  So, I will take my precautions (masks, distancing, good sleep, vitamins, etc), adhere to my doctor's advice but, it is high time to continue living my life outside of these four walls.  If a cruise is available and if I am healthy, I'm going to be one of the first ones to book it.  I feel it is probably the safest time to go as very strict guidelines will be in place when they first start back up again.  It will probably keep people from spreading norovirus, colds and the flu, as well.  I always say, the safest time to fly on a plane is shortly after a deadly plane crash.  

Very well put and exactly how I feel. After 32 Princess cruises and at least another 20 on a variety of lines ,we have never been sick unless you count three nights of seasickness . The sickest I have ever been was on a 23 day tour of India. All 18 of us caught nasty upper respiratory from the five internal flights. We have a suite  on  The Sky Princess booked for January and I am so hoping it will sail. I feel so sad. Give me a balcony , a good book, a little sunshine and the sea and I’ll be happy again.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Very well put and exactly how I feel. After 32 Princess cruises and at least another 20 on a variety of lines ,we have never been sick unless you count three nights of seasickness . The sickest I have ever been was on a 23 day tour of India. All 18 of us caught nasty upper respiratory from the five internal flights. We have a suite  on  The Sky Princess booked for January and I am so hoping it will sail. I feel so sad. Give me a balcony , a good book, a little sunshine and the sea and I’ll be happy again.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you for January!  

6 minutes ago, ksheehan16 said:

"living like animals"   No drama there.

You said "let everyone else live like human beings" implying that without cruising, you are not living like human beings. Was there another term besides "animals" I should have used to align with your statement? Trees? 

Whatever. It's nice that you just ignored the actual point of the post and nit-picked that. Typical.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Good luck . Recommend that before your final payment date you speak to a Princess representative  to verify sailing or not  .The reason is so you do not have all that cash tied up waiting a long time for your credit to come through 

Good advice! We use a travel agent ( same one for 30 years). Princess wants payment in full 60 days out with full refund 30 days out. We have Princess Platinum insurance but no sure that helps . We have another cruise booked for October 2021 so I guess the money ( cruise credit) could be applied to that cruise . 

3 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

Good advice! We use a travel agent ( same one for 30 years). Princess wants payment in full 60 days out with full refund 30 days out. We have Princess Platinum insurance but no sure that helps . We have aYes there have been posts nother cruise booked for October 2021 so I guess the money ( cruise credit) could be applied to that cruise . 

Yes there have been posts on Princess that refunds are taking  a much longer time frame . We had that very experience even with out long time TA going to bat for us . Ultimately we were redunded in full & given $1318 in cruise credits which we  have applied to our Jan 15 ,2022 Mexican Riviera cruise on Majestic Princess in a BD balcony category We purposely went that far out because we felt that the Covid  19 solutions could take most of 2021 to resolve & I say this tongue in cheek .

On 9/12/2020 at 5:17 PM, Roger88 said:

I keep hearing news that we are getting the vaccine by the end of this year. As soon as the vaccine will be around, there wont be any limitations and this covid thing will be considered as just another type of flue that can be easily curred 

I think folks don't really hear what is being said about the upcoming vaccine.

First of all, once a vaccine is approved for use, we are going to need BILLIONS of doses. From the details I read, its going to take two shots 28 days apart for the vaccine to take full effect in a person, so in addition to the approval, we have to have the manufacturing of those billions doses which then have to be distributed and injected into people. Its probably going to be quite a few months, maybe even approaching a year before we get the ~70% vaccination rate that the experts say we need for this pandemic to really be behind us. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, drowelf said:

I think folks don't really hear what is being said about the upcoming vaccine.

First of all, once a vaccine is approved for use, we are going to need BILLIONS of doses. From the details I read, its going to take two shots 28 days apart for the vaccine to take full effect in a person, so in addition to the approval, we have to have the manufacturing of those billions doses which then have to be distributed and injected into people. Its probably going to be quite a few months, maybe even approaching a year before we get the ~70% vaccination rate that the experts say we need for this pandemic to really be behind us. 

I doubt the wait for vaccination will be very long since many people said they won't be getting the vaccine.

25 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

I doubt the wait for vaccination will be very long since many people said they won't be getting the vaccine.

Then they probably will not be sailing also as I believe most if not lines will require proof of vaccination 

• Like 1

Let's hear from the biggest manufacturer of vaccines...

"Dampening hopes of a Covid-19 vaccine by year-end, the chief executive of the world’s largest manufacturer of vaccines has said that adequate coronavirus vaccine will not be available for everybody in the world to be immunised until the end of 2024"

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-vaccine-won-t-available-090400724.html

14 hours ago, resistk said:

I'd like to know how to get back my money tied up in FCCs I cannot use.

I have gotten my FCCs cash back from Holland America  .As long as you have the FCC numbers phone the cruise line & request that they credit your credit card . It may take awhile but you should see your credit on toyr credit card  come through . Write down who you spoke with & or even get a reference   number for possible future tracking purposes 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

Let's hear from the biggest manufacturer of vaccines...

"Dampening hopes of a Covid-19 vaccine by year-end, the chief executive of the world’s largest manufacturer of vaccines has said that adequate coronavirus vaccine will not be available for everybody in the world to be immunised until the end of 2024"

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-vaccine-won-t-available-090400724.html

Have they considered that many countries will be manufacturing / licensed  the vaccine  once it is formulated & FDA approved here in the states   ?  Seems t o me that the developed countries will be producing the vaccine & not just here in the USA 

As far a the OP's question, I wish I had an answer but no one on these boards has a clue when we will cruise again. Of course it can't be until it's safe and who is going to determine that it's safe. We can't have what we had in the spring when a lot of ships had many passengers with covid with some deaths not to mention passengers being confined in their cabins  and the ships not being able to find a port that would let them dock. My wife and I have decided we will cruise probably at least 3-6 months after the lines are given the OK. We are in our mid 70s and in very good health but are not taking chances, we have not eaten or had take out food since March 14th so that tells where we're coming from and why we are playing it safe as when to cruise again, certainly don't want to be a guinea pig and be the first to hop on a ship. That behing said, we miss cruising so much it's driving us crazy but we are going to play it safe.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2020 at 2:53 AM, caribill said:

Among the challenges is that at least two of the promising candidates must be stored at -20 to -60 degrees C.

I doubt any pharmacy has storage available at those temperatures and possibly no doctors' offices.

Not necessarily true.  When I got my original vaccine for shingles (not the new one, Shingrex) , my doctor told me I had to get it from a Pharmacy because we had a power outage in NY and he lost his supplies. He did not reorder.  This vaccine has to be  stored frozen between -50° to -15°C (-58° to +5°F). If my doctor had a place to keep it, I am sure others did also.  I did get it at a pharmacy near my doctor and rushed to his office for him to administer.  Since then, I have gotten my two doses of Shingrex.  ThermoFisher, who I order from for my lab, has many sized models able to store vaccines.that need to be  frozen.  And I think if doctor's need to get the proper equipment, they will. And also, there will be a market to produce the required units.

Edited by lolane1
Addition