CALLED HARBOR MASTER AT PORT EVERGLADES

rabin1

Hi

Since i have to pay for my December 20 cruise very soon I decided to hear from the perverbial horses mouth about the ports so I called our harbor master here in South Florida Port Everglades this is what he told me.

1. the CDC order for no cruising ends WED,
2. he said  if the CDC doesn;t extend the date after Wed the cruise lines can sail
3. he said it would then be up to the individual cruise lines to decide when they start sailing
4. said the ports never closed the CDC ordered them closed to cruise ships
5. Probably the first ports to open would be South Florida and California because of all the Caribbean here and Hawaii etc out there he said all ports in the US would be open to cruise ships at the same time. Not one then two etc all at same time

So now we wait and see what the CDC does and what the individual cruise lines do
Kathy
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I'm trying to have positive thoughts that the CDC won't extend the no-sail order this close to the expiration. It will be good to have cruising back underway, even if it is limited and phased in.

The next variable to watch is Canada. Our Alaska cruise tour is dependent upon Canada reopening ... primarily Vancouver.

The seasonal flu can be hedged against by getting this year's flu shot. We've been told it is more important than ever. True or not, I don't know. But, I've had mine and am not worried.

Covid-19 doesn't make me hesitate at all. I will do my best to follow protocols and take common-sense precautions.

ANCHORS AWEIGH!!!

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, jhannah said:

Covid-19 doesn't make me hesitate at all. I will do my best to follow protocols and take common-sense precautions.

an outbreak and subsequent quarantine is a very real concern ... however ... 🥃

'flu season' can be somewhat mitigated if covid-19 procedures are still followed ... masks, handwashing/sanitizing, social distancing, disinfectant wipes, sprays ...

prolly get the flu shot at our local , Publix , in the next couple of weeks

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

But the bigger question is who wants to go on a cruise with the prediction of a twindemic coming with the Flu season starting this week. 

I didn;t ask if anyone wanted to go on a cruise I merely attempted to give people current info. That to me would be for another post someone like you maybe should start. Actually there is one with that question.. BTW if you read my post I said I was going on a cruise December 20. If it sails I sail

This info I am about to give you has nothing to do with flu shots or another wave of the virus etc etc but here are the new rules for cruising.  Since no one is posting on what I said now you can go off on a tangent on this one. I realize everyone can say what they want but I don;t understand or maybe I am stupid why we can;t stick to the topic on any thread

HTTPS://youtu.be/kUd9Hc2YxrU new cruise line rules

Kathy

Edited by rabin1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"5.  ...  he said all ports in the US would be open to cruise ships at the same time. Not one then two etc all at same time"

Kathy, I am not sure if this is correct.  Can't local governments issue orders closing their particular ports/ harbors without regard to the CDC's "orders"?  

I would expect each port's local government to get involved in any decision to re-open.  I would expect that for the Port of New York to re-open, Cuomo and DeBlasio would each have to agree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rabin1 said:

Hi

Since i have to pay for my December 20 cruise very soon I decided to hear from the perverbial horses mouth about the ports so I called our harbor master here in South Florida Port Everglades this is what he told me.

2. he said  if the CDC doesn;t extend the date after Wed the cruise lines can sail
3. he said it would then be up to the individual cruise lines to decide when they start sailing
5. Probably the first ports to open would be South Florida and California because of all the Caribbean here and Hawaii etc out there he said all ports in the US would be open to cruise ships at the same time. Not one then two etc all at same time

So now we wait and see what the CDC does and what the individual cruise lines do
Kathy

As far as know ports in California and Hawaii are still closed to cruise ships disembarking and embarking passengers.

1 minute ago, Mike45LC said:

"5.  ...  he said all ports in the US would be open to cruise ships at the same time. Not one then two etc all at same time"

Kathy, I am not sure if this is correct.  Can't local governments issue orders closing their particular ports/ harbors without regard to the CDC's "orders"?  

I would expect each port's local government to get involved in any decision to re-open.  I would expect that for the Port of New York to re-open, Cuomo and DeBlasio would each have to agree.

Hi

I don;t really know the answer to that one didn;t think to ask. He did say based on what I wrote they can. I don;t know if the local govenments can put their 10 cents in or not but all ports will be permitted to have cruise ships based on the other things I said in the ports.

These governors are a mess. We just went into phase 3 opening all bars and restaurants no masks required. This is in my opinion wrong. Our state has been horrible with deaths but I guess the economy comes before death.

Kathy

2 minutes ago, brisalta said:

As far as know ports in California and Hawaii are still closed to cruise ships disembarking and embarking passengers.

Jeez people read. I said after the 30th if the CDC doesn;t extend them being closed to cruise ships.

Kathy

Edited by rabin1
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, rabin1 said:

Jeez people read. I said after the 30th if the CDC doesn;t extend them being closed to cruise ships.

Kathy

Except it was not the CDC that closed those ports! It was the various agencies of the state of California and Hawaii that closed them to cruise passenger traffic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rabin1 said:

Hi

Kathy

Thanks for posting this Kathy. It will definitely be interesting to watch what happens next once Wednesday comes and goes.

1 hour ago, brisalta said:

Except it was not the CDC that closed those ports! It was the various agencies of the state of California and Hawaii that closed them to cruise passenger traffic.

Cruise critic gives me a headache. This is why I don;t post too many new threads. Since you insist you are correct why don;t you do what I did and call the harbor master and see what they say.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks for posting this Kathy. It will definitely be interesting to watch what happens next once Wednesday comes and goes.

You are most welcome. For those of you who appreciate why I did it I appreciate  you as well. I for the life of me don;t understand why people that argue don;t do their due diligence and find out the truth like I did from the horses mouth. 

Kathy

• Like 8

brisalta is correct as far as our area is concerned. San Francisco Mayor Breed closed the San Francisco Port to cruise ships (originally through 2020). Although she may decide to lift the order, currently large groups are banned here and the county is firmly in the red zone. We can't even open inside dining or bars. So Florida may open ports but, no, San Francisco California is weeks away from thinking about it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rabin1 said:

Hi

As I understand it, the CDC asked for public comments to be submitted. I do not know if the CDC will allow cruising again before all those thousands of comments have been evaluated.

Also as I understand it, in order to sail again, each cruise line must submit their plans to deal with all the areas of concern the CDC is looking at. I do not know how fast the CDC will evaluate these responses.

11 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

But the bigger question is who wants to go on a cruise with the prediction of a twindemic coming with the Flu season starting this week. 

I don't. We have cruises booked out of Fort Lauderdale in December & February. I am hoping they get cancelled as I will not be traveling to or staying in Fort Lauderdale in the present pandemic climate. Far too risky for me and my family. The UK also has a travel advisory against travel to the US so I doubt we will get flights. We definitely won't be able to get insurance.

12 hours ago, rabin1 said:

Hi

Kathy

Interesting post. I appreciate the information. Just 1 day to go for an update from CDC and then I suppose we wait for the cruise lines to update. Frustrating for us in the UK as we have to wait for you guys to get up and get started for our updates.

15 hours ago, rabin1 said:

Hi

Kathy

I will say that #1-4 are correct, but won't speculate on #5.  However, as others have noted, it is also up to the state governors to decide if they will open their ports to cruise ships, as this becomes a state health concern once the ship docks.  The CDC grants clearance to enter US waters, the states and municipalities grant clearance to dock in their ports.

While the CDC may let the no sail order expire, given that the cruise lines will need 4-6 weeks to even begin to have a ship ready to cruise from a US port (and that may be optimistic), and given the "request for information" that is a pre-cursor to any federal rule/regulation change, I suspect that the requirements listed in the no sail order, which is an "emergency order" and as such did not require the "request for information", will, during the time it takes the cruise lines to ramp up their ships, become new federal regulations for clearance of all passenger vessels to enter US waters, for the foreseeable future.  So, as far as the CDC is concerned, there will be no change, with or without the no sail order, because if the cruise lines have not met the requirements of the no sail order, they will not meet the new regulations for clearance into US waters, and so US cruising will still be at a standstill.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Will be interesting to see what ripples the Mein Schiff 6 news generates over on this side of the Atlantic.

Good news is all of the crew members tested negative to COVID19 in port.

http://crew-center.com/mein-schiff-6-crew-members-test-negative-covid-19?fbclid=IwAR05wDrAgc2kzaeeBLOLZnmqlINN6irGLo78vzRKs4cGSMiSR2NBAdcroE8

Edited by Syracusefan44

50 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I will say that #1-4 are correct, but won't speculate on #5.  However, as others have noted, it is also up to the state governors to decide if they will open their ports to cruise ships, as this becomes a state health concern once the ship docks.  The CDC grants clearance to enter US waters, the states and municipalities grant clearance to dock in their ports.

While the CDC may let the no sail order expire, given that the cruise lines will need 4-6 weeks to even begin to have a ship ready to cruise from a US port (and that may be optimistic), and given the "request for information" that is a pre-cursor to any federal rule/regulation change, I suspect that the requirements listed in the no sail order, which is an "emergency order" and as such did not require the "request for information", will, during the time it takes the cruise lines to ramp up their ships, become new federal regulations for clearance of all passenger vessels to enter US waters, for the foreseeable future.  So, as far as the CDC is concerned, there will be no change, with or without the no sail order, because if the cruise lines have not met the requirements of the no sail order, they will not meet the new regulations for clearance into US waters, and so US cruising will still be at a standstill.

You are correct in most things you say. I do not know about the governors etc. so I never speak unless I am sure. Ours here in Florida is a nut case. He just put us into phase 3 when we are at 2% and let all bars and clubs open. Number 5 was just the harbor masters speculation as I originally stated. He thought they would be the first to open because of the locale and being the ports that a lot of the ships sail out of. No where did I say they for sure would be the first to open. I  said PROBABLY that does not mean it is written in stone.. I do know one more thing he told me as all the plans for sailing from all the cruise lines have been submitted as you said. I don;t know who makes that final choice but he said they are submitted. He also said here in South Florida they miss the cruisers and are ready to welcome them back ASAP
Kathy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

While the CDC may let the no sail order expire, given that the cruise lines will need 4-6 weeks to even begin to have a ship ready to cruise from a US port

26 minutes ago, rabin1 said:

I do not know about the governors etc. so I never speak unless I am sure. Ours here in Florida is a nut case.

well, it's 11 weeks until 12/15 - the date Princess is cancelled thru here in the USA

won't comment on rabin1 post in this CRUSIING forum - plenty of other forums for those rants

• Haha 1