The Daily for Thursday Oct 1, 2020

richwmn

today is International Coffee Day, International Day for the Elderly, and National Homemade Cookies Day

Preudhomme's Law of Window Cleaning:
    It's on the other side.

Meal suggestion for today - Jambalaya Pasta

Drink of the Day - The Time of My Life

Wine of the day - Carpineto Vino Nobile di Montepulciano Riserva vintage 2013

Brindisi Italy Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Katakolon Greece Anchorage
Noordam

Puntarenas
Koningsdam

Scheveningen NL Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Zaandam

Southampton
Volendam

Torquay GB
Westerdam

Willemstad
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam
Oosterdam

1001World.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

I salute your Daily with a nice cup of coffee, Rich.  Love homemade cookies on my (Elderly) day but will eat store bought until I can get back on a  ship,  So true on the windows.  While Jambalaya sounds nice my alternate meal suggestion is Pear, Cucumber, and Melon Gazpacho, Turkey Scallopini, and Apple Strudel as served on the Amsterdam October 1, 2017.

Today’s care list:

Mrs Vmax

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Burnout at work, especially Live4cruises

Deceased CC Member wizard-of-roz and her family

California Wildfires

RIP Helen Reddy

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Fiont Line Health Care Workers

Teachers and school workers

Fall color

Wldlife Safari for Debbie

apprehension of LA Sheriff ambush guy

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good morning.  Welcome October.  (Where does the time go?)

A nice hot cup of coffee and a homemade cookie, what a great way to celebrate!  I made chocolate chip cookies a few days ago, my dear hubby loves them.  I honour all the elderly folks in my life.

Thanks for the meal, wine and Drink of the Day suggestions.

Sending prayers to everyone on the Care List.  I heard singer/songwriter Mac Davis passed away.  RIP

Cheers to everyone celebrating.

Have a great day.

Stay safe.

• Like 12

Welcome to October.  The beginning of the berrrrr months. 

I couldn't begin my day without coffee, really miss the explorations coffee.  And being "elderly" I guess it's my day!  Bought Publix cookies yesterday I guess that counts.  And dh washed windows yesterday and much was on the other side as kitty nose prints.

Thyme of my life cocktail:  (different spelling of Time)

• 2 cups water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 tbsp fresh thyme
  • 2 tbsp gin
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tsp of thyme simply syrup see recipe
  • 3 tbsp tonic or soda water

Instructions

1. Make a simple thyme syrup by bringing 2 cups water, 1 cup sugar, and 3 tablespoons fresh thyme to a simmer in a small saucepan.
  2. Let simmer for a few minutes then remove from heat and let infuse for another ten minutes.
  3. Strain into a jar.
  4. For each drink combine 2 tablespoons of gin, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, and 2 teaspoons thyme syrup in a small glass.
  5. Stir well, add 4-5 ice cubes & top off with about 3 tablespoons tonic or soda water.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.  Numbers are going up here in Florida.
  • Like 13

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

What a great combination of days.  Coffee and cookies go so well together and our elderly certainly deserve recognition. 

LOL on the quote - that is so true when you are cleaning windows!

The meal suggestion sounds good.  Not sure what we will have tonight - I need more coffee to decide 😉 

F175A76D-0313-4FB6-A438-9153787C2528.gif.f3a6976f123e31843de2186a7d7b4b49.gif

793A08A5-1570-496D-B796-B62AD91BAFFB.gif.8d8a1ad577b384618cbdc4da4647dfe5.gif

Prayers to those on Roy’s Care list and those that need them and a toast to everyone on his Celebratory list.

Have a great Thursday everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your mask.

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

I have an abundance of October sunrises and sunsets, covering at least 5 cruise lines and some other travel and only lack a couple of days, most of which will be covered by sunsets from the previous day.  The first is from a Crystal Symphony cruise the first week of October 2012,  On October 1 we explored the Saguenay River:

dawn01.jpg

Roy

• Like 18

34 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Bought Publix cookies yesterday I guess that counts.

They really are close to homemade. We freeze the Heath bar and cranberry/walnut varieties when they are BOGO.  Have some every day - coffee for DH and tea for me.

When younger, we would have labeled anyone our age "elderly" - now not sure we're there yet.

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Happy October everyone!

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Roy - thank you for tending our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters. Denise, you have been quiet, hope your renovation is going well.  Joy, you can skip today’s wine. This morning was another lovely morning here! And the entire day looks promising. Hoping to go kayaking tomorrow morning, so I might not be around until the afternoon.

I am toasting to coffee day, as I type. And I guess I am one of the elderly we are celebrating. Not sure why I don’t feel like one! And as much as I love homemade cookies, until I have visitors I won’t be baking any.😎

The quote is spot on! Love the meal suggestion. Thank you for the drink recipe Summer - what an interesting concoction.

Prayers to all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating!

Stay well everyone!

This Tuscan red sounds amazing, has great ratings and a decent price of $29.99. I only found magnums available on winesearcher, but you might be lucky and find it locally.  

#11 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018

Brilliant ruby red color with a tendency to garnet. Aromas of ethereal, extraordinarily elegant with hints of violet and wood. Dry, harmonic, fruity and velvety, with an elegant texture and long finish.
WS95 Wine Spectator

The stunning bouquet of ripe black cherry, black currant, leather and woodsy spice notes is enticing, while the sweet fruit is a match for the dense structure. The lengthy finish lingers, with tobacco, eucalyptus and iron accents. Drink now through 2030.
  • Like 10

Good morning Rich. Thanks for being here when I wake up. 

Allen says I am the slowest coffee drinker in the world. Half the cup is piping hot, by the time I finish I am adding ice.

Jambalaya pasta. That's a new one on me. I will Google it. Meanwhile meeting friends tonight for dinner at Mexican rest.

Good morning sisters. I agree Ann. Denise must be very busy to miss our Daily a few days in a row💖

Ann hope you get to go kayaking tomorrow. Have fun!

Good morning Roy, thank you for prayers and celebrations. We will toast tonight to our good friends on Cruise Critic. I have met some great folks on the Daily, and love to read about your lives and see the pictures you post.

Yesterday we met our new dentist, got our check ups and everything was perfect. Not one recommendation!

Our new trees are showing signs of new growth. Several inches. Still hoping to post my first magnolia bloom soon.

Have a great day. Be safe. Pray for our nation and a kinder debate. 

The biggest advantage of old age is that you don't need to work for all the  satisfactions.”- Elderly Jokes | Funny Jokes, Cartoons, Inspirational Quotes

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Himself said:

Thanks for the Daily Rich.  Has aneone ever heard of the drink called HOT PORT? I had one or afew when Iwas in Ireland a year and a half ago

Good morning Father. I Googled this for you. Does it sound like what you had in Ireland?

Hot Port

Some recipes I have read suggest 1 part port to 3 parts hot water, but from my observations in Ireland, it seemed closer to a 1 to 1 ratio of port and water. Works for me. Feel free to find your perfect balance between the two.  Tip: warm up your mug with hot water before filling it with hot port to keep your drink warmer longer.

This recipe makes one glass of hot port, but can be easily doubled or tripled for a crowd (or if you really love the stuff!)

½ cup port
½ cup very hot water (as hot as you’d use for tea)
½ tablespoon honey
1 thick slice of lemon
1 tablespoon of whole cloves

Heat water in a tea kettle.  Pierce lemon slice with whole cloves.

Once hot, add water to a warm mug (see above tip), and stir in honey.

Add the port, and stir. Gently drop in the clove-studded lemon slice. Enjoy!
  • Like 8

30 minutes ago, 65 Gator said:

Good Morning Dawg from an Elderly Coffee Drinker.

By any chance do you know if the Zaandam was spruced up while in Rotterdam shipyards?

Thanks for the postings...

Nice to see you post!

• Like 3

Thank you Rich and Roy and everyone for a great way to start my day. The Daily + coffee! And it's Coffee Day too. 

As my contribution today, I will share with you our family tradition on the first day of October, a tradition started by my husband's grandfather (a man of poems) and passed down by his mom and now dh himself to our children, a poem we recite every October 1st. Enjoy.

October's Bright Blue Weather 

by Helen Hunt Jackson

O suns and skies and clouds of June,
And flowers of June together,
Ye cannot rival for one hour
October's bright blue weather;

When loud the bumblebee makes haste,
Belated, thriftless vagrant,
And goldenrod is dying fast,
And lanes with grapes are fragrant;

When gentians roll their fingers tight
To save them for the morning,
And chestnuts fall from satin burrs
Without a sound of warning;

When on the ground red apples lie
In piles like jewels shining,
And redder still on old stone walls
Are leaves of woodbine twining;

When all the lovely wayside things
Their white-winged seeds are sowing,
And in the fields still green and fair,
Late aftermaths are growing;

When springs run low, and on the brooks,
In idle golden freighting,
Bright leaves sink noiseless in the hush
Of woods, for winter waiting;

When comrades seek sweet country haunts,
By twos and twos together,
And count like misers, hour by hour,
October's bright blue weather.

O sun and skies and flowers of June,
Count all your boasts together,
Love loveth best of all the year
October's bright blue weather.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily, and Happy October!  I'm raising my coffee cup to salute the elderly (at what age does one become elderly?), and will bake some cookies later today as well.

It's time for us to do our fall window cleaning so we can look fondly at the huge snowbanks and glaciers that will grow in our yard over the coming winter.  We had frost again last night; it went down to 4C (24F), so we know what lies ahead.  The Farmer's Almanac (if one can trust it) is forecasting many "snow trains" to blow through the prairies over the course of the winter.  Great.

I did make the Harvest Chicken for dinner last night, but didn't go to the grocery store, so I substituted yellow peppers instead.  It was a hit, and will definitely go into the "make again" section of the recipe book.  Once the chicken was cooked and after taking the photo, I broke the breasts up into more manageable pieces to distribute it throughout the dish.

.image.jpeg.81837efa2ac35a04ebe7843b70e81e3b.jpeg

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Stay safe, be well!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 19

5 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

As my contribution today, I will share with you our family tradition on the first day of October, a tradition started by my husband's grandfather (a man of poems) and passed down by his mom and now dh himself to our children, a poem we recite every October 1st. Enjoy.

Thank you @fatcat04 for the beautiful poem. I will save it!

Joy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, dear friends far and near.  I love my coffee, and I have never met a cookie I didn't like.  I am perilously close to what some might call elderly, but definitely young at heart.  Thanks for the goodness in these postings - Roy's suns, wine, Seasick Sailor's cartoons, new people posting, poetry, flower pictures, genuine caring, and just what the doctor orders every morning for this eternal optimist growing a bit weary of everything.

Thanks to all.

Cindy

• Like 13

2 hours ago, kazu said:

What a great combination of days.  Coffee and cookies go so well together and our elderly certainly deserve recognition. 

LOL on the quote - that is so true when you are cleaning windows!

The meal suggestion sounds good.  Not sure what we will have tonight - I need more coffee to decide 😉 

How much damage was there from the storm yesterday?

Roy

Good morning.  Thanks everyone for contributing to keep us interested in returning every day to see what our CC friends are up to.  If DH had made cookies like he said he was going to, I would be eating right now with my cuppa tea.  When I was a youngster I thought that my 70 year old grandmother was old, at what age do we refer to someone as elderly?   Yesterday we went for a drive in the country, it was a treat to get outside of the city if only for a few hours and then mid afternoon this happened.

58BF4DC9-8594-413F-ABEE-B164DA9F8DFA.jpeg

Edited by gigianne
  • Like 10