Who doesn't love a typo!?

CineGraphic

I've always loved typos, and can remember ordering "fluggy mashed potatoes" from a Caneel Bay menu as a kid.

While going through some photos last night from our 13 day Canada and Colonial America sailing last summer, I found this gem.

One can only guess as to what they really meant to say.

IMG_3951.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

This can be taken wrong but, I saw a post on here once that I couldn't believe what I was reading.  I had to read it to my DH to see if I interpreted it correctly.  We both started laughing hysterically when we figured it out what the post was describing!!  

I will just say this much about the post:  Someone was disgusted when a woman got into the hot tub with sores all over her body and commented on them.  Take it from me, who has had a career in healthcare ... the adjective used to describe a lot of pus from a sore is 'purulent', not the word the commenter used to describe the sores they saw.  How could they know ... she was, after all, wearing a bathing suit. I will leave it at that!  

• Like 1

No one seems to even notice the misplaced apostrophe in "man's".  There should not be an apostrophe there! Of course, here on CC the misplaced apostrophe is endemic. Words such as "menus" are often typed as "menu's" for some bizarre reason Plural items do not have an apostrophe. Only possessive items have an apostrophe. Then there is using "then" when it should be "than". GAH!!!

Sorry, things like this make me crazy. It's really bad when I read the local newspaper. Apparently copy editing is a thing of the past. Typos, grammatical errors, use of completely wrong words. It's amazing. I guess it could be summed up using the modern "equivalent" (HAH!) of grammar: It is "teh suq" (No, that is not misspelled.)

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Thrak said:

No one seems to even notice the misplaced apostrophe in "man's".  There should not be an apostrophe there! Of course, here on CC the misplaced apostrophe is endemic. Words such as "menus" are often typed as "menu's" for some bizarre reason Plural items do not have an apostrophe. Only possessive items have an apostrophe. Then there is using "then" when it should be "than". GAH!!!

Sorry, things like this make me crazy. It's really bad when I read the local newspaper. Apparently copy editing is a thing of the past. Typos, grammatical errors, use of completely wrong words. It's amazing. I guess it could be summed up using the modern "equivalent" (HAH!) of grammar: It is "teh suq" (No, that is not misspelled.)

Youve got that write.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Although English is not my first language (Dutch is) there is one sentence I always wonder about and that is when people start their post with “I don’t think” followed by what the don’t think about  Example; “I don’t think that is a good deal”. I would say “I think that is not a good deal”. Do they mean to say that they really don’t think before they start typing?

Anyway, who am I to discuss a language I did not speak until I was well into my twenties.

Theo

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Plural items do not have an apostrophe. Only possessive items have an apostrophe. Then there is using "then" when it should be "than". GAH!!!

True. And neither should possessive pronouns have apostrophes. If I snap and start running around chasing people with a weed whacker, it's probably going to be because of people putting "it's" when it should be "its." And "her's" instead of "hers." I don't know what these folks do with "his" but it's probably horrendous.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

True. And neither should possessive pronouns have apostrophes. If I snap and start running around chasing people with a weed whacker, it's probably going to be because of people putting "it's" when it should be "its." And "her's" instead of "hers." I don't know what these folks do with "his" but it's probably horrendous.

You means to tells me you hain't never heered of his'n?

EDIT: Best stop now before we get in trouble.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Renmar said:

Although English is not my first language (Dutch is) there is one sentence I always wonder about and that is when people start their post with “I don’t think” followed by what the don’t think about  Example; “I don’t think that is a good deal”. I would say “I think that is not a good deal”. Do they mean to say that they really don’t think before they start typing?

Anyway, who am I to discuss a language I did not speak until I was well into my twenties.

Theo

No, the thought is - I don't think "That's a good deal".  That is, the person is saying he/she isn't thinking  "That's a good deal".  That said, "I think that isn't a good deal" is probably more, grammatically, correct, but many sayings have verbal roots and come into common use.

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

That's the first thing I noticed. I won't tell you what I pictured when I saw it. Other than there's a big difference between a "men's package" and a man's package". 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

It's really bad when I read the local newspaper. Apparently copy editing is a thing of the past. Typos, grammatical errors, use of completely wrong words. It's amazing. I guess it could be summed up using the modern "equivalent" (HAH!) of grammar: It is "teh suq" (No, that is not misspelled.)

Agree.

I think the problem is that if it passes "spell check" it assumed to be correct no matter how incorrect it is.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Thrak said:

Same here. It's just disheartening. I see it all the time: window's, car's, cruise's, all intended to convey the plural but all clearly looking like possessives. People aren't taught how to write anymore, and more's the pity. (and yes, "more's" is correct, because it means "more is.") LOL

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bandgbasset said:

Don’t get me started lol, how about their, there and they’re and affect and effect.  I see typos almost every day on the local news.  

LOL, well I say kudos to the OP for starting this thread, so those of us who hate typos can have a place to vent. 😀

Some other favorites are: any time vs anytime, may be vs maybe, every day vs everyday and any way vs anyway. (these are a bit more esoteric, I'll confess) 😄And my personal favorite, when people comparing things say 'more then' or 'more that' rather than 'more than.' 🤣

21 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

their, they're, there...OUCH

pleaded instead of plead...do you say bleeded instead of bled?

passed, past

Makes wanna be editors gnash their teeth.:classic_wink:

Edited by JF - retired RRT
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

LOL, well I say kudos to the OP for starting this thread, so those of us who hate typos can have a place to vent. 😀

Some other favorites are: any time vs anytime, may be vs maybe, every day vs everyday and any way vs anyway. (these are a bit more esoteric, I'll confess) 😄And my personal favorite, when people comparing things say 'more then' or 'more that' rather than 'more than.' 🤣

Floataway lounge 

• Like 1