Interesting results from an Intent to Cruise survey

shipgeeks

Our TA asked clients to take part in a survey.  In one week, they had 30,475 replies, with the following results:

Do you plan to take a cruise within 3 years of cruising resuming?

Yes:  20,090, or 66.2%

No:    1,877, or 6.2%

Maybe:  8,371, or 27.6%

In order for you to book a cruise, what measures must be in effect?

No new measures needed:  14.9%

New measures, such as covid screening needed:  29.3%

No new measures, but I would need to be vaccinated:  7.3%

New measures, plus I would need to be vaccinated:  14.5%

New measures, plus all passengers and all crew must be vaccinated:  28.4%

Have you ever tested positive for covid19?

Yes: 2.2%

No:  97.8%

Do you plan to get vaccinated when it is available?

Yes: 57.9%

No: 13.6%

Maybe:  28.5%

If vaccine is required for any international travel, would you get it?

Yes:  68.0%

No:  10.8%

Not sure: 21.1%

I have shortened some of the wording, but these were the main points.  Interesting.  And positive, for the most part.

• Like 1

At first I was a little surprised at the  percent of "maybes"  to cruising within 3 years of reopening.  Assuming the respondents are cruise customers, I would not have expected it to be this high.    Then after thinking about it, it does make sense because many want to see what is in place before committing to a cruise.   

• Like 1

Three years is a wide window.  Would have been interesting if they had added 1 year, 18 months, or 2 years to that query.

We intend to take a cruise within 3 years.  Definately not within a year.  Doubtful in 18 month but would answer probably after 2 years.

• Like 1

Hi

I find the results interesting. Seeing that there are over 30000 responses, I was curious (since this seems like a lot of clients for a TA) is this a large national company, or what. More to the point, would these responses be all from your region, or more diverse? If only your region, it would be good to also here from others in different areas of the country as well as what might be seen/felt in other countries. Obviously these attitudes change quickly over time, just as personal situations will continually change, without even considering the changes within the cruise industry as well as the greater travel industry.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Have you ever tested positive for covid19?

Yes: 2.2%

No:  97.8%

I  hope this wasn't how this question was asked. Huge flaw in the wording. They would have needed a question before this: have you ever taken a Covid 19 test? If yes, have you ever tested positive for Covid 19.

Based on the original question,  I would answer no. However,  I've never been tested, so there's no way I could answer yes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

At first I was a little surprised at the  percent of "maybes"  to cruising within 3 years of reopening.  Assuming the respondents are cruise customers, I would not have expected it to be this high.    Then after thinking about it, it does make sense because many want to see what is in place before committing to a cruise.   

Without knowing the restrictions future cruises might have in place I think contributes heavily to the maybes. At least that would be the main factor with us.

Edited by ontheweb
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

Even before COVID my answer to such a question would have always been “maybe” - because until I actually had a cruise booked (very rarely was it much more than a few months before sailing date) my plans were not set in stone; only when an itinerary/ship meshed with other plans would I book a cruise.

That said, I think it highly likely that I will cruise before the end of 2022.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Thanks 1

To respond to some of the questions and comments above:

Yes, it is a large national online agency, so covers all of US, and I believe has people from all over the world who read it.

A small number of responders stated that they have never cruised.

I agree that "Have you tested positive..." could be misleading, as most of us have not been tested.

46 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Even before COVID my answer to such a question would have always been “maybe” - because until I actually had a cruise booked (very rarely was it much more than a few months before sailing date) my plans were not set in stone; only when an itinerary/ship meshed with other plans would I book a cruise.

i don't think the question was about taking just any cruise within 3 years of reopening. Whatever criteria someone uses to select a cruise would still be valid I would think.   

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Without knowing the restrictions future cruises might have in place I think contributes heavily to the maybes. At least that would be the main factor with us.

I agree totally.  You just said it better than me.   How the experience might change because of various new rules/safeguards will have an impact for us.  Additionally, how well the pandemic is being managed in general will influence our travel plans.     

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cruizergal70 said:

I  hope this wasn't how this question was asked. Huge flaw in the wording. They would have needed a question before this: have you ever taken a Covid 19 test? If yes, have you ever tested positive for Covid 19.

Based on the original question,  I would answer no. However,  I've never been tested, so there's no way I could answer yes.

I think they only wanted to record confirmed cases of COVID, not people saying "oh I think I had it back in March....."

10 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I agree totally.  You just said it better than me.   How the experience might change because of various new rules/safeguards will have an impact for us.  Additionally, how well the pandemic is being managed in general will influence our travel plans.     

Based on reactions I have read on these boards, there are many who would not cruise if mask wearing is mandated. Other, myself included, would not be ready to go with the present shore excursion rules.

And of course how the future of the pandemic plays out will affect all of this. It seems like it will go on forever, but remember the Spanish flu ended, and that was without any sort of vaccine. Let us hope for a better future.

• Like 2

I wish they had a question about how many bought RVs as a substitute to cruising and other travel.   I'm told they cannot keep them on the lot.  I haven't really paid that much attention to RVs (unless I was behind one on a grade), but it seems they are everywhere now days.   

12 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I wish they had a question about how many bought RVs as a substitute to cruising and other travel.   I'm told they cannot keep them on the lot.  I haven't really paid that much attention to RVs (unless I was behind one on a grade), but it seems they are everywhere now days.   

I've heard the same. I wonder if those RVs are just a temporary "fix" for not being able to cruise/travel more broadly and will be abandoned (or used a lot less) once travel opens up again? Or on the other hand, whether owners will feel they need to get their money out of this substantial investment and will travel less often by other means, at least for a few years?

I'm hoping for the latter -- fewer Americans in Europe for a while sounds nice.

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Broadway theater announced today that the earliest they will reopen is next June.Therefore ,my thinking that safety on a cruise ship might not be until 2022.

• Like 1

You can make most surveys indicate what you want by simply manipulating the wording of the questions, the sample size, and the demographics of the sample.

Politicians and consumer products companies have been doing it successfully for years.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Broadway theater announced today that the earliest they will reopen is next June.Therefore ,my thinking that safety on a cruise ship might not be until 2022.

I saw this too.  It seems that the realization that Covid will continue to seriously impact society well into 2021 and beyond is slowly gaining acceptance - at least everywhere except the stock market.

1 hour ago, iancal said:

You can make most surveys indicate what you want by simply manipulating the wording of the questions, the sample size, and the demographics of the sample.

Politicians and consumer products companies have been doing it successfully for years.

Absolutely true.When I was in college I had a class in Marketing and we had a project to design a survey questionnaire which we distributed in a mall.

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've heard the same. I wonder if those RVs are just a temporary "fix" for not being able to cruise/travel more broadly and will be abandoned (or used a lot less) once travel opens up again? Or on the other hand, whether owners will feel they need to get their money out of this substantial investment and will travel less often by other means, at least for a few years?

I suspect there will be a lot of used RVs for sale in a year or so.   I think the same is true of boats.  I normally avoid my go-to lakes on weekends because of the crowds of pleasure boaters.   During the week, I basically have the lakes to myself.   However, I do note a lot of brand new shiny boats around.  I suspect that like RVs they are a substitute for banned travels.  

Haha, I wonder if that old saying about boats applies to RVs:    The two best days of a person's life are they day they buy it and the day they sell it!  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Based on reactions I have read on these boards, there are many who would not cruise if mask wearing is mandated. Other, myself included, would not be ready to go with the present shore excursion rules.

And of course how the future of the pandemic plays out will affect all of this. It seems like it will go on forever, but remember the Spanish flu ended, and that was without any sort of vaccine. Let us hope for a better future.

Yes, the Spanish Flu ended - so did the Bubonic Plague - which  took about 1/3 of Britain’s population in a couple of years in the late 1340’s.  One way or another plagues fade away - this time I’d like to think sooner rather than later.  But, in any event, thinking that this will last past early 2022 is simply exhibiting a gross ignorance of history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Yes, the Spanish Flu ended - so did the Bubonic Plague - which  took about 1/3 of Britain’s population in a couple of years in the late 1340’s.  One way or another plagues fade away - this time I’d like to think sooner rather than later.  But, in any event, thinking that this will last past early 2022 is simply exhibiting a gross ignorance of history.

"But, in any event, thinking that this will last past early 2022 is simply exhibiting a gross ignorance of history."

I hope you are right about sooner rather than later.  As far as early 2022, I guess it depends on what you mean by "this will last".  

On 10/8/2020 at 4:09 PM, shipgeeks said:

Our TA asked clients to take part in a survey.  In one week, they had 30,475 replies, with the following results:

Do you plan to get vaccinated when it is available?

Yes: 57.9%

No: 13.6%

Maybe:  28.5%

If vaccine is required for any international travel, would you get it?

Yes:  68.0%

No:  10.8%

Not sure: 21.1%

Not a real surprise and timing isn't really clear, but the necessity of a vaccination record for travel seems to push more people towards vaccination out of the undecided and no camps.

23 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I've heard the same. I wonder if those RVs are just a temporary "fix" for not being able to cruise/travel more broadly and will be abandoned (or used a lot less) once travel opens up again? 

Sorry, I think you will be disappointed.  I expect the market to be flooded in a couple of years time with slightly used RVs.

15 hours ago, ldubs said:

I suspect there will be a lot of used RVs for sale in a year or so.   I think the same is true of boats...  I suspect that like RVs they are a substitute for banned travels.  

One of my kid's significant other is actively flipping campers online right now.  They have been driving all over the state on weekends to pick up a good deal and then reselling the campers locally.  I have been shocked to hear the prices paid and sold with only marginal investment in cleaning the camper up before resale.

Next year I doubt the market will be anything like it is today.

• Like 2